Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Solid core VS. hollow-core doors..
    #14354367 - 04/26/11 10:20 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Just looking for some opinions.

Several doors (5) need to be replaced throughout the interior of my home.  I plan on picking up some pre-hung doors to do this.  However, I've heard varying opinions on solid-core versus hollow-core doors.

Frankly, as a home noob, I never knew the difference between the two nor did I notice (until it was pointed out to me).  In casual conversation, some carpenters swear by solid core, others don't care and think the extra expense is unnecessary.

What are your opinions?  I'll take anything into consideration, cost, maintenance, home resale etc...

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Solid core VS. hollow-core doors.. [Re: badchad]
    #14354382 - 04/26/11 10:23 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Oh, I have the same problem!

:popcorn:

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

OfflineDave Bowman
Albert Hoffmans Apprentice
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Your Imagination
Re: Solid core VS. hollow-core doors.. [Re: Doc_T]
    #14354498 - 04/26/11 10:53 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

If it's for an interior door, I would just go with the hollow-core.  It's lighter, less expensive and you really don't have to worry too much about insulation if they are for interior-only and aren't used very much.

InvisiblePuppet Master
Wizzy's Puppet
 User Gallery

Loc: On your Hand
Re: Solid core VS. hollow-core doors.. [Re: Dave Bowman]
    #14354554 - 04/26/11 11:05 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Synthettek said:
If it's for an interior door, I would just go with the hollow-core.  It's lighter, less expensive and you really don't have to worry too much about insulation if they are for interior-only and aren't used very much.

True, but if it is for a bedroom, you may want insulation for sound dampening for things that go humpity-hump in the night.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #14354784 - 04/26/11 11:47 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Always spend the money for solid core. They look better. They have a better feel. They close easier. That solid core door will be around for years.

If you own this home, why spend money on crap?

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: Solid core VS. hollow-core doors.. [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #14355237 - 04/26/11 01:20 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
Always spend the money for solid core. They look better. They have a better feel. They close easier. That solid core door will be around for years.

If you own this home, why spend money on crap?

For me, it's like a lot of other things.  This is a cost-benefit analysis/decision.  Before I started looking into doors, I didn't know the difference.  Now that I'm aware of it, I can tell that solid-core are better, but I'm uncertain as to whether the better performance is worth the cost.

I just wanted to collect some opinions since many here are much more knowledgeable about these things than I.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

OfflineFungi01
John Plischke
Male User Gallery

Loc: Western Pennsylvania
    #14358378 - 04/26/11 10:33 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I would alway go for solid core.  I do lots of maintance and I replace hollow core interior doors all the time.  In a 10 year perion in childs rooms or for tenants I might have to replace the door 5 times in 10 years.  I do agree get the best value for your money.  Hollow core door prehaps 40-50 dollars.  Imported solid core door prehaps 100-120.  Cost of changing the hollow core dore when it breaks makes the door more expensive in the long run.

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Solid core VS. hollow-core doors.. [Re: Fungi01]
    #14359441 - 04/27/11 03:10 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Durability mainly depends on use and maintenance. The hollow-core doors in my apartment have been in place for about 50 years and they still work just fine and would have looked good if I had bothered to paint them once in a while. The two major causes for damage to hollow-core doors that I see are excessive humidity (best don't use them in a badly ventilated bathroom) and physical abuse. Hollow-core doors are just much easier to put a hole into with your foot. Other than that, I don't see why a hollow-core door would be less durable or functional than a solid-core door. I do understand that a carpenter would favor a solid-core door, as those tend to be more straightforward to work with if a cat-flaps must be added or a lock needs to be relocated.

OfflineRogerRabbitV
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Re: Solid core VS. hollow-core doors.. [Re: Puppet Master]
    #14361300 - 04/27/11 02:04 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Puppet Master said:
True, but if it is for a bedroom, you may want insulation for sound dampening for things that go humpity-hump in the night.

Or, if you have teenagers who play music in their room.  Solid core doors are much better at soundproofing.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinekgood
Padawan
Male

Loc: Ohio
Re: Solid core VS. hollow-core doors.. [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #14396655 - 05/03/11 08:34 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I would go with solid core for main bedrooms because they are also good to have for security purposes.  If you are a victim of home invasion you can lock yourself in your room and buy time to call the police and grab a weapon to defend yourself.

--------------------
Padawan in need of Master teacher

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: Solid core VS. hollow-core doors.. [Re: kgood]
    #14402774 - 05/04/11 11:05 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

when it comes to security the strike jamb is the weak spot, solid core or
hollow core and it's opened with a kick, it would need to be reinforced with
steel along at least 1/3 of the door jamb under the casing and a minimum of 6
3 inch screws

OfflineJack the Reefer
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Solid core VS. hollow-core doors.. [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #14423011 - 05/09/11 02:32 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

My house has hollow doors on the interior, I have a pocket door for my bedroom, hollow.  I do like the idea for security purposes.  However I have Mr. Moto and Mr Glock 40 caliber, plus Excalibur (12 guage double barrel  18 and half inch barrels  27 inches overall.  Let them come in, if they make past Mr. Moto. 

I would put in a steel door if you have a garage entry.  Where I live we have a habitat for Huamnity Thift Store, they have used doors, perhaps you could save some money and be Green.  I am sick of hearing that. 

Invisibleairclay
Morbid and Wrong
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Texas
Re: Solid core VS. hollow-core doors.. [Re: Jack the Reefer]
    #14455345 - 05/15/11 09:01 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

solid core is really the way to go. unless it's a door that never gets used and stays opened or closed 24/7 or if you've got kids or someone who's apt to slamming doors you may want to use the hollow core as well there.

--------------------
Give no fucks, take no orders, smash the prisons and the borders. Circle that A motherfucker!

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#14467741 - 05/17/11 12:44 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

So now I'm confused about "solid", versus "solid-core".

Is masonite the only brand that makes solid-core, or is that a universal term? 

My carpenter warned me that I might have problems with warping, cracking etc.  When I mentioned this to a buddy, he said that was only a problem with "solid" doors, and that "solid-core" are filled with a particulate/filler that can swell and expand with cracking.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#14468328 - 05/17/11 02:59 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Solid Wood vs. Hollow Core Doors

Solid Wood Doors are constructed entirely of real wood and can be made with or without panel inserts. They're sturdy, but require routine maintenance to ensure long lasting qualities. Solid wood doors are very high-end, warm and beautiful, but also very expensive. Furthermore, solid wood also offers great sound proof qualities.

Solid wood doors are commonly referred to as Stain-Grade Doors. This is because solid wood is naturally grained which helps them to accept a stain beautifully. You should also know that you can't make a door out of a single piece of wood because it will be too unstable. So for years, solid wood doors have been made in the traditional pieces (Stiles, Rails, panels, etc.).

Keep in mind, solid wood is prone to damage. Be prepared to routinely perform preventive maintenance as well as make any necessary repairs. With solid wood, unexpected damaged could occur. For example, if you paint or stain your solid wood door you may see raw wood at the seams when your door expands, or you may see paint scraped and wrinkled at the seams when your door contracts.

Solid Core Doors are made a bit differently then solid wood doors. They are made of particleboard or steel centers covered by wood or fiberglass veneer to give a durable finish. Doors with a solid core more closely replicate the weight and feel of solid wood doors. The solid core material provides the door with

In addition to the pleasing weight and feel, solid cores doors are similar to solid wood in that they also act as great sound insulator. They also perform 15% better in this category than hollow core doors. Sound Transmission Coefficient, or STC, is an indicator of a given material’s ability to act as a sound barrier. The higher the STC number, the better the performance of the door will be.

Hollow Core Doors are at the bottom of the spectrum as far as the level of quality goes. Hollow core doors have cardboard baffle centers covered by veneer. They're inexpensive, typically $20-$30, and they are used only inside. These doors are low-end and lack in character. Furthermore, hollow core doors are very lightweight which means they are not much good for sound insulation.

Hollow core doors generally have a wood perimeter and faces of hardboard. The two faces of the door are divided inside by Styrofoam bars or ribbed paper blocks. They're usually painted (not stained), and usually neither is done to the top or bottom edges. It’s unfortunate too, because these edges really should be painted or stained to prevent the door from absorbing moisture and eventually expanding or contracting unevenly.

In addition, hollow core doors can be "stamped" with a pattern to mimic traditional panels, but the level of detail is lacking. The reason why there are limited details and designs for hollow core doors is because the manufacturer pays about a million dollars for the metal plates or molds that stamp the doors. It doesn’t take a genius to see that a door selling for $20 would need to be sold at an incredible rate to amount to a million dollars. The truth is that hollow core doors do not make up for that money in sales.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#14468709 - 05/17/11 04:21 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

K.  That's kind of what I though (google is my friend).

It just dawned on me that I'm not sure my carpenter and I were on the same page.

--------------------

OfflineTony2
Stranger
    #17519806 - 01/08/13 09:50 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

It all depends on your needs. Go with SPAMALOT, No.1 SPAM ROAD, SPAM STATE. They are not completely solid, but offer solid pine, covered with MDF and layer of oak veneer.

Edited by koraks (01/09/13 10:00 AM)

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Solid core VS. hollow-core doors.. [Re: Tony2]
    #17520928 - 01/09/13 06:54 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I'd bet that 1 year and 8 months later he's probably all set.

Nice job bumping an old thread though.

--------------------

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#17522000 - 01/09/13 12:13 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Well, just to update (since this was bumped).  I did, in fact,  replace about 10 interior doors (including french closet doors), with solid core, (masonite?) doors.

I do like the "feel" of a solid core door, although to be honest, I don't stand around opening and shutting my doors thinking: "omfg, this is WAY nicer than the hollow core bathroom door I have downstairs".  On the flip side, after more than a year, I'm not sitting around kicking myself for spending the extra dollars on the solid core.

Given the choice a second time around, I'd go solid core again, but wouldn't lose any sleep if hollow cores were my only option.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Ythan, Anno, Thor, Link, Seuss
52,964 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 0 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2024 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.011 seconds on 15 queries.