Home | Community | Message Board

Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine Psychedelic Survey
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineHaZyNWonderland
Stranger
Indiana/Kentucky Active Mushrooms
    #1431696 - 04/05/03 06:05 PM (11 years, 13 days ago)

I have read the posts about Mushrooms such as.
Psilocybe semilanceata,Panaeolus subbalteatus,Psilocybe cyanescens(Kentucky) Panaeolus subbalteatus (Indiana),Psilocybe caerulipes(Blue Foot) grows in Kentucky on decayed wood and fruits aug-oct. (notes i have taken from the board and other parts of the site)

being active and growing in Kentucky (some of them in indiana). I am wondering if this information is true..(I have heard some of them are just rumored to grow here) If it is indeed all correct where in Kentucky can i find Active Mushrooms?(does it matter area to area that much)

Northern Ky? ( Louisville area)
Southern Ky? (near Tenn)
Central Ky? (Lexington area)

Is there anyone on these boards that lives in Ky or Southern Indiana that can confirm that you can actually walk the woods (including farms) of Kentucky (Indiana) and find active mushrooms (I know non active mushroom hunting in this region is VERY popular)

My last question , Is it very likely that i could find active mushrooms in the(sub) burbs of Southern Indiana?

(For people ready to pounce on me with the FAQ part of the site I have read the whole site I am just trying to sort it all out)

Also this may sound utterly stupid but if i were to actually able to find active mushrooms do you think in (theory of course) that i would be able to use the spores off of the Mushrooms i had found and grow batches of them in a fish tank if i were able to replicate the enviroment?

Thanks for your time (sorry if i confused you)
C.K

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY, NIGGA!
Trusted Identifier
Re: Indiana/Kentucky Active Mushrooms [Re: HaZyNWonderland]
    #1431738 - 04/05/03 06:36 PM (11 years, 13 days ago)

Cyans do not grow in Kentucky. Only in the Pacific North West.

OfflineHaZyNWonderland
Stranger
Re: Indiana/Kentucky Active Mushrooms [Re: Gumby]
    #1432208 - 04/05/03 09:26 PM (11 years, 13 days ago)

Hmm according to this site they do.. So Im confused do they? OR dont they? (When i first saw them i thought they looked familiar)

OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY, NIGGA!
Trusted Identifier
    #1432403 - 04/05/03 10:51 PM (11 years, 13 days ago)

Nope, only if the are cultivated. Mjshroomer knows the story on that one, he can tell you more about it than I can.

Someone screwed up when they were writing the books and said that they did. They were found once I believe, but it was found out to be a patch that someone started.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it'sfun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1432863 - 04/06/03 04:09 AM (11 years, 13 days ago)

If you want to find a species of mushroom in the wild, find out everything you can about the habitat they've been found in. Then look in areas with that habitat. You probably won't find them right away, and not in all the places you look, but once you find one (make sure you know how to identify them accurately, too) note the details of the habitat. Then look in other places like that. Habitat is the key thing to remember for any wild mushroom hunting.

Good luck and happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineHaZyNWonderland
Stranger
Re: Indiana/Kentucky Active Mushrooms [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1432962 - 04/06/03 05:20 AM (11 years, 13 days ago)

Thanks guys.. Yeah i have been trying to find what kind of specific plants (so far i have only seen/heard of them growing on straw and dung) panaeolus subbalteatus (sp?) grows under because i have a North American Wildlife guide but they left Active mushrooms out (all but two or so).. So if anyone could help me out.. Just point the wayy!

Thanks again for the help.. Im still wondering if there are anyother species besides subbalteatus that grow in the Kentucky/Indiana region (i mean i have looked in the FAQ but i have heard of others)

OfflineHaZyNWonderland
Stranger
    #1433468 - 04/06/03 02:40 PM (11 years, 13 days ago)

bump.. Any other species grow here..Im trying to find out because im making a field guide..I have shity memory so i thought i would put together a packet type deal to help me out for when i go out.... But i guess it really doesnt matter when I have you guys to ID for me  :grin:

Edited by HaZyNWonderland (04/06/03 02:42 PM)

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1433972 - 04/06/03 08:30 PM (11 years, 12 days ago)

In Indiana and Kentucky the mushrooms that i would look for are;

Amanita muscaria
Gymnopilus aeruginosus
Gymnopilus luteofolius
Gymnopilus spectabilis
Panaeolus fimicola
Panaeolus subbalteatus
Psilocybe caerulipes

That is what i would look for,

Keep shroomin,
GG

OfflineRansford
Stranger
Re: Indiana/Kentucky Active Mushrooms [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #6764382 - 04/09/07 10:29 AM (7 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

GGreatOne234 said:
In Indiana and Kentucky the mushrooms that i would look for are;

Amanita muscaria
Gymnopilus aeruginosus
Gymnopilus luteofolius
Gymnopilus spectabilis
Panaeolus fimicola
Panaeolus subbalteatus
Psilocybe caerulipes

That is what i would look for,

Keep shroomin,
GG

Amanita muscaria
Gymnopilus aeruginosus
Gymnopilus luteofolius
Gymnopilus spectabilis
Panaeolus fimicola
Panaeolus subbalteatus
Psilocybe caerulipes

Do all of those contain psilocybin??? I know amanita muscaria doesn't, and i know subbalteatus does.... Im alos am from teh same area and am looking into adding some psilo-mushies to my morel hunts.

OfflineShaManiacal
Stranger
    #9277921 - 11/20/08 12:35 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

I myself live in indiana - currently in Indianapolis where its all city and i doubt anything active could be found here - BUT i mainly lived in Terre Haute, Indiana untill a few months ago and i have something that might be interesting to add to this post.

Amanita muscaria var. Alba (the white ones) have been found, verified and consumed/tested by myself found in Turkey Run state park and are definatly active when prepared right - only problem is you have to eat almost double if not more of them than you would with the fly agaric red ones... pretty mild species from my experience.

Gymnopilus Spectabilis - this strain grows in ABUNDANCE on my cabin property right next to the Wabash river in Terre Haute, Indiana- and i KNOW it has psilocin/psilocybin in them or else i wouldn't have had such dilated pupils and been laughing so hard... Big Laughing Gyms indeed. like you read everywhere they usually are found at the cabin growing on very HARD woods and mainly logs in my experience. and they are roughly 1/3 to 1/2 the potency of some strains of P. cubensis i've had and tested in my belly laboratory.

as for a supposed Panaeolus strains that are active around here, i have no idea - i haven't really had many first hand accounts on trying to ID any of them,,,i found what could've been some kind of Panaeolus at a gas station behind the building by some mulch but the cap ended up drying and sticking to the paper i was getting the spores to drop onto, and there were so few of them even if they were active i wouldn't have had enough to feel the activity. ....
okay thats really all i had to share. i hope my experiences help clear up something for someone somehow. lol have a great day fellow shroomers

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Indiana/Kentucky Active Mushrooms [Re: ShaManiacal]
    #9278068 - 11/20/08 01:13 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Amanita muscaria var. Alba (the white ones) have been found, verified and consumed/tested by myself found in Turkey Run state park and are definatly active when prepared right - only problem is you have to eat almost double if not more of them than you would with the fly agaric red ones... pretty mild species from my experience.

I wouldn't eat those.  Too easy to confuse them with other deadly white Amanitas. 

Good to hear you have so many active gyms.

Also its best to start your own thread instead of reviving an old one.

OfflineSomeGuy
I feel better now :)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Indiana/Kentucky Active Mushrooms [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #12579673 - 05/17/10 05:10 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

I have good news. Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata, western Kentucky. That means all along the northern border of kentucky. Southern Ill.? I'm lookin'! I know this thread is old, but people need to knw!:thumbup:

Offlinemushroom12345
hippie
Male

Loc: Northern Ky
    #13620808 - 12/12/10 12:49 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

I'm from northern Ky, i've been a mycophile for several years, the tributaries that run into the ohio river are very rich with psilocybes,as well as many other mushrooms. Compare this to the central bluegrass,where most grow on or near manure,here the best mushroom to find is Ovoideocystidiata, they come up in late april- early may,then fade out when the weather gets dry in june-july, then the pan. subs come up june-september depending on rainfall. I have only found caerulipes twice in northern ky, mostly because our autums tend to be a bit to dry. I have also found strictipes, which shouldn't be here, but i've id'd them; they come up if october-november is warmer and rainy. There you go kentuckys' mushrooms.

OfflineSpore Collector
Hunter
 User Gallery

#19683072 - 03/11/14 11:17 PM (1 month, 4 days ago)

I myself have made my own packet style field guide. It is very helpful to take with you on hunts. If you are not 100% on identification, that is when I recommend having someone on this site look at some pictures and read your notes about them.
Happy hunting!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification