Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemushroomhunter10
Jack-Of-All-Trades
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Problem with my poppies? Too tall? Did I plant them wrong?
    #14292783 - 04/14/11 09:26 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Hey all.

I planted some Afghani poppies and here is what I did.
I bought peat pots and filled with potting soil. Sprinkled the seeds on top and just patted them into the soil, didn't bury them or anything too deep.

Now my poppies are like, over an inch tall, very skinny and they just don't seem strong. However, I have a few Tasmanian ones that are growing very low to the soil (planted the same way) but seem very "meaty". They are all still in the two-leaf stage of growth.

Is it too late to save them? Are they goners? Should I just plant the peat pots now and hope for the best?

Thanks!

--------------------
Imagine if you needed it and it wasn't there... GIVE BLOOD
Get a free (PAINLESS) bone marrow testing kit and help save lives HERE.
Jesus if you're reading this, please come back already. We need you now more than ever!
The U.S. Constitution!

Best WBS Tek
EZ Potato-Honey Agar Tek
MY TRADES

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBargainBab
Hey Dere Ho Dere
Male User Gallery

Loc: Callisto
Re: Problem with my poppies? Too tall? Did I plant them wrong? [Re: mushroomhunter10]
    #14292810 - 04/14/11 09:29 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

What are your lighting conditions like? and in an abundance of nutrients stalks will soak up as much as they can and get chody on you sometimes

--------------------
Oh wow, GOOD Nyborg!

Offlinemushroomhunter10
Jack-Of-All-Trades
Male User Gallery

Re: Problem with my poppies? Too tall? Did I plant them wrong? [Re: BargainBab]
    #14293180 - 04/14/11 10:38 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

They are really skinny and tall...

They aren't old either. About 2 weeks since planted.

--------------------
Jesus if you're reading this, please come back already. We need you now more than ever!
The U.S. Constitution!

Best WBS Tek
EZ Potato-Honey Agar Tek
MY TRADES

OfflineDarklight203
Same Shit
Male

Loc: Nome, Alaska Flag
Re: Problem with my poppies? Too tall? Did I plant them wrong? [Re: mushroomhunter10]
    #14294026 - 04/15/11 02:56 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

My one poppy that germinated elongated it's roots or stem before the branching of the leaves. You could probably just bury them up to just before the leaves, and they should be fine. Mine is looking happy now since I did that and it's not flopping around anymore.
But this stretching I hear is common. I'm not sure the light requirements, but it could be that or just it's natural growth. I'm sure if you wanted to you could just plant them just a little bit deeper, but that could also affect the germination/survival rate.

--------------------
In ancient times, when demons roamed with man, They hunted, loved and lost, hand in hand, As time went on, the difference between them faded. You couldn't tell anymore, demons and man were related, and some would say the same, but who would like to claim? In time, Gods had even forgot, Demons, too, once love had sought. In times recent I remember, Once I was a man, In my heart I had an ember, I'll relate the best I can but it was snuffed, one distant December. And yet here I stand, no flesh, no bones, no seed or semen, All that's left is this Demon.

Invisiblekarode13Facebook
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LV-426
    #14294074 - 04/15/11 03:49 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

If they're in the same conditions as the Tasmanians then they should be fine. They may just be naturally leggy, I don't know.

They may fall over but this is normal of poppy seedlings and soon after doing this the stem will thicken and then the true leaves will form. They'll continue to grow as normal from here.

--------------------

Offlinemushroomhunter10
Jack-Of-All-Trades
Male User Gallery

Re: Problem with my poppies? Too tall? Did I plant them wrong? [Re: karode13]
    #14297842 - 04/15/11 08:37 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks all.

Just for your guys' information:
Izmir Afghanistan Strain
Tasmanian Alkaloids (the company name) Strain

Take care all.

--------------------
The U.S. Constitution!

Best WBS Tek
EZ Potato-Honey Agar Tek
MY TRADES

InvisibleLipa Kreepa
Antisocial People Person

Loc: Where ppl are herded and ... Flag
    #14298285 - 04/15/11 10:05 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

yea are they still small and thin like grass seedlings?looking like one thin stem with the two cotyledons, resembling two tiny green blade'shaped leaves? at two weeks old i cant imagine that they have mant leaves on them.... are they true leaves or the cotyledons? regardless, it might be light deprived like some have suggested... plants will stretch and get very thin to reach that light, whereever it is. so make sure thats straight, tho they might just be doig their thing. sometimes the stems grow long and tall and then they fall over and start their cabbage growth on the ground level until the begin to bolt for flowering. at first i thought u were talking about seeedlings bolting, which would of course be a waste of time. i have a plot of pops right now and a lot of tiny, seedlings went into bolt mode and are now hooking the tinniest of pods.... that shit sucks, and is basically useless. tho something tells me that your crop isnt that far5 along yet and at 2 weeks u are likely to still have cotyledon growth, with maybe only one or 2 nodes of true leaf included, at this point.

im sure its straight, dont sweat it man. let them do their thing, they kno how to let5 their freak flags fly:super:

--------------------
LOVE LIFE AND LIVE IT HARD!

'Great Spirit, today, let me touch the Earth so the Earth can touch me.'

"I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.'" -- Vonnegut

A monkey w/out his jungle is just an inmate-- :heart:lipa

Offlinemushroomhunter10
Jack-Of-All-Trades
Male User Gallery

Re: Problem with my poppies? Too tall? Did I plant them wrong? [Re: Lipa Kreepa]
    #14300557 - 04/16/11 11:59 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Okay, thanks

--------------------
The U.S. Constitution!

Best WBS Tek
EZ Potato-Honey Agar Tek
MY TRADES

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies