Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefelixopolus
Stranger
Female User Gallery

cubes do not respond to cold shocking? fact or a myth?!!
    #14284699 - 04/13/11 03:48 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

So i read various posts and found that many users say that cased spawn of cubensis doesn't respond to cold shocking, that is - does not necessarily trigger pinning when put in the fridge overnight, so i wonder that does trigger pinning except FAE and light?

my problem is that only 10% of the casing has mushrooms on it, and then when time comes to harvest that cluster few more pins emerge somewhere in the opposite corner. how do you people manage to trigger them so nicely at the sime time?????? please enlighten.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMicroppose
Things Maker
 User Gallery

Loc: Amongst you...
Re: cubes do not respond to cold shocking? fact or a myth?!! [Re: felixopolus]
    #14284762 - 04/13/11 03:58 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Fresh air exchange is the best pinning trigger, and arguably evaporation helps pinning as well. Light has been proven to pose little or no effect on mycelium to initiate pinning for cubensis mushrooms. Cold shocking will do nothing but slow down mycelial progression for as long as it is cold. You can improve your flushes by ensuring that you have an even casing layer, and by letting your substrate consolidate for an indefinite amount of time to better absorb nutrients before fruiting.

Offlinefbi365
Captain of the Sinking Ship
Male

Loc: Nowhere
    #14284767 - 04/13/11 03:59 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I read recently that evaporation was a major pinning trigger.  RR said it somewhere over the past few days...

--------------------

OfflineMicroppose
Things Maker
 User Gallery

Re: cubes do not respond to cold shocking? fact or a myth?!! [Re: fbi365]
    #14284784 - 04/13/11 04:02 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Indeed, which is why you are supposed to mist very lightly and fan all of the water off. If you mist heavily then you won't be able to fan all of the water off.

Offlinefelixopolus
Stranger
Female User Gallery

Re: cubes do not respond to cold shocking? fact or a myth?!! [Re: Microppose]
    #14285029 - 04/13/11 04:40 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

so does that mean that ultrasonic humidifier puts out fine vapor like mist and therefore would assist pinning? or are you talking specifically about fanning as the only way to bring upon evaporation?

Offlinefelixopolus
Stranger
Female User Gallery

Re: cubes do not respond to cold shocking? fact or a myth?!! [Re: fbi365]
    #14285040 - 04/13/11 04:42 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

ok and why is it that evaporation triggers pinning? is there an explanation to this?

OfflineMicroppose
Things Maker
 User Gallery

#14285058 - 04/13/11 04:45 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Humidifiers generally flood substrates that I've seen, the point of misting isn't to keep your substrate hydrated, because it's already got all of the moisture it needs within itself. The point of misting is so that you can fan it giving the substrate FAE and evaporation. That's why you only want to do a light mist. Don't use a humidifier.

EDIT: And yes, fanning is the best way to bring upon evaporation without dehumidifying the room or increasing temperature. Fanning is good anyways cus you're killing 2 turtles with one pebble.

Edited by Microppose (04/13/11 04:47 PM)

Offlinefelixopolus
Stranger
Female User Gallery

#14285161 - 04/13/11 05:03 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

sure but what if i'm not home to mist and fan every hour? i bought the ultrasonic fine-mist humidifier so that it can mist the FC for me, so are you saying automation is not a solution to healthy mushrooms? i'm thinking of installing small 40mm in diameter fan in the chamber so it can tun on and suck air out after ultrasonic misting, what do you think of that?

OfflineMicroppose
Things Maker
 User Gallery

#14285210 - 04/13/11 05:11 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

There is no real substitution to TLC :heart:
Running a humidifier even on low will bog your substrate.
To my knowledge MGS's (mono shotgun fruiting chambers) are the easiest way to grow mushrooms with a degree of neglect. They don't need fanning because they have holes in them, as long as you have airflow they are self fanning. Research those, it's probably your best bet. MorelMan has a brilliant design, model after that.

OfflineOneU

#14285231 - 04/13/11 05:16 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I saw a very successful setup here: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/usergallery.php/gallery/139980/imgpp/All/folder/GreenHouse

She has a greenhouse with a humidifier.

What are your temps like? I spoke to vendors about different grows and they say temps are important but an even pinset is from a leveled substrate and some parts consolidate more than others which is why a week is recommended. I'm sure a lot of factors help pinning but what people have found most to be effective is FAE and misting to cause a high humidity atmosphere.

OfflineMicroppose
Things Maker
 User Gallery

Re: cubes do not respond to cold shocking? fact or a myth?!! [Re: OneU]
    #14285259 - 04/13/11 05:23 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

The greenhouse works because it's a much larger setup. If you are talking tub sized you will flood the substrate, even with greenhouses there are still bogging problems.
And everything you just said about even casings and consolidation to increase your chances of a promising pinset is common knowledge.

Offlinefelixopolus
Stranger
Female User Gallery

Re: cubes do not respond to cold shocking? fact or a myth?!! [Re: OneU]
    #14285288 - 04/13/11 05:26 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

my temperatures are at 20C all the time, it's getting warmer outside, the spring is here but i don't the temps will climb any higher than 22C in my room. So i hope it's not too cool.

But i still don't understand why an ultrasonic humidifier wouldn't fulfil the function of a mister... people seem to defend their points and explanation is limited. cubes require 1-3 FAE per hour so if i have a humidifier on the right setting on its own time and a fan on another timer that will turn on after the misting, then why wouldn't it work? OK WHAT IS EVAPORATION? CAN SOMEONE DEFINE IT PLEASE?

Invisibleabltsandwich
JFK = Jelly Donut
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dildoville Flag
    #14285322 - 04/13/11 05:31 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

felixopolus said:OK WHAT IS EVAPORATION? CAN SOMEONE DEFINE IT PLEASE?

When a liquid turns into a gas.  The evaporation of water from your substrate means that the water on the surface of the substrate is floating off in gas form and that creates pins.

Offlineguywiththegun
Shroom Chewer/Beer Brewer
Male User Gallery

#14285332 - 04/13/11 05:32 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

felixopolus said:
my temperatures are at 20C all the time, it's getting warmer outside, the spring is here but i don't the temps will climb any higher than 22C in my room. So i hope it's not too cool.

But i still don't understand why an ultrasonic humidifier wouldn't fulfil the function of a mister... people seem to defend their points and explanation is limited. cubes require 1-3 FAE per hour so if i have a humidifier on the right setting on its own time and a fan on another timer that will turn on after the misting, then why wouldn't it work? OK WHAT IS EVAPORATION? CAN SOMEONE DEFINE IT PLEASE?

Water turning into gas at room temp.

--------------------
My Trade List        My Epic Trip Report        My Not-As-Epic Trip Report

OfflineMicroppose
Things Maker
 User Gallery

#14285343 - 04/13/11 05:33 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Haha you don't know what evaporation means? Evaporation is when you fill a bowl full of water and place it outside on a summer day, and when you go back to check on it, there's no water left...
Humidifiers ARE KNOWN TO FLOOD SUBSTRATES, and is NOT AN ALTERNATIVE TO ADEQUATE FRESH AIR EXCHANGE! I will repeat it again if you want me to...

OfflineMicroppose
Things Maker
 User Gallery

Re: cubes do not respond to cold shocking? fact or a myth?!! [Re: guywiththegun]
    #14285352 - 04/13/11 05:35 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

guywiththegun said:
Quote:

felixopolus said:

Only at room temperature?  :orly:

InvisibleFungal growth
Lootinint
Male User Gallery

Loc: under a rock in your yard
Re: cubes do not respond to cold shocking? fact or a myth?!! [Re: guywiththegun]
    #14285355 - 04/13/11 05:36 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

:huxleyfacepalm:

Offlinefelixopolus
Stranger
Female User Gallery

#14285404 - 04/13/11 05:44 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

yes i knew what evaporation means, but it's a different kind of evaporation, no water doesn't just poof into gas in room temperature it's a slow process - all depends on the moisture level in the room and temperature, so basically it seems like there is no auto-way to emulate open air evaporation off ground moisture to assist pinning, that discouraging considering i invested into this FC that will take care of things, i wonder if everybody else who has no time to meditate over their mushrooms experiencing similar stuned growth problems... or maybe i should go home and fuck-punch 8775 holes through my FC and crank my humer up a notch ? seriously - there MUST BE A SOLUTION.

Offlineguywiththegun
Shroom Chewer/Beer Brewer
Male User Gallery

#14285413 - 04/13/11 05:46 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Azurascender said:
Quote:

guywiththegun said:
Quote:

felixopolus said:

Only at room temperature?  :orly:

In the context of what we are talking about, yes. Water turning to gas at ambient (aka room) temps.

--------------------
My Trade List        My Epic Trip Report        My Not-As-Epic Trip Report

OfflineMicroppose
Things Maker
 User Gallery

#14285420 - 04/13/11 05:48 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

You could just hook your humidifier up to the fruiting chamber...
Hahaha kidding.
No but seriously, make a mono shotgun fruiting chamber like I recommended 827349827 posts ago. The humidity will be fine and the fresh air will be good too. Model it after MorelMan's design, cus his is cool and it works. Stop asking questions that have already been answered. I have given my advice already.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale