Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinek00laid
NEMO
 User Gallery

Re: Did Einstein (or other great minds) indulge in psychoactives? [Re: 5-HT2A]
    #14201987 - 03/29/11 02:19 AM (13 years, 4 days ago)

who cares if smart people did drugs?

do drugs because you want to.

dont use dead (or alive) celebrities to validate your own drug use.

--------------------
AMU - AMU Q & A - MyVideo Teks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAbstraKt_I_Am

Loc: Abroad.
Re: Did Einstein (or other great minds) indulge in psychoactives? [Re: k00laid]
    #14202423 - 03/29/11 06:09 AM (13 years, 4 days ago)

Carl Sagan. Loved Pot. Big Advocate.

--------------------

InvisibleMe_Roy
Stranger
Re: Did Einstein (or other great minds) indulge in psychoactives? [Re: AbstraKt_I_Am]
    #14203465 - 03/29/11 12:17 PM (13 years, 3 days ago)

Quote:

AbstraKt_I_Am said:
Carl Sagan. Loved Pot. Big Advocate.

Apologies in advance -- I don't have citations.

I recall reading exactly 2 passages by Sagan:

1. in which he praised pot for lending producing a feeling of empathy with the universe

2. in which he noted that no real advances in physics and math have been made on dr00gz.

Again apologies for the lack of citations.  I wish I could be of more help.  #2 is something I recall reading in a used book store no less than 10 years ago, so take it with a grain of salt.

Offlinethe locked shroom
Stranger
Re: Did Einstein (or other great minds) indulge in psychoactives? [Re: Me_Roy]
    #14212537 - 03/30/11 10:58 PM (13 years, 2 days ago)

This thread is full of win. Here is how I see it:

Idiots: ZOMG INESTINE WUZ HIGH SO C DRUGZ R GOOD WITHOUT EXCEPTION

Others: Uh, actually, no.

OfflineHarryL
Squnä'am
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington State
Re: Did Einstein (or other great minds) indulge in psychoactives? [Re: the locked shroom]
    #14213604 - 03/31/11 07:24 AM (13 years, 2 days ago)

Ha!!

I drank beer in highschool and 10 years latter, finished my masters degree... So beer helps graduate school!!!

:-)

--------------------
Mushroom hunting:  One bad mushroom can ruin your day! Know it or throw it.

OfflineThe Green Bastard
friendly hippie
Male

Loc: parts unkown....
Re: Did Einstein (or other great minds) indulge in psychoactives? [Re: HarryL]
    #14216206 - 03/31/11 05:54 PM (13 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

HarryL said:
Ha!!

I drank beer in highschool and 10 years latter, finished my masters degree... So beer helps graduate school!!!

:-)

then I should be a god damn PH.D by now! :lmafo:

--------------------
Well, if that's the case, then Julian, he is like a superhero. Holy fuck, Ricky, you know who you are? You're Dope-Man! He can smoke a pound in a single bound.

OfflineDest
Roller-Derby Coach
 User Gallery

Re: Did Einstein (or other great minds) indulge in psychoactives? [Re: The Green Bastard]
    #14217418 - 03/31/11 09:28 PM (13 years, 1 day ago)

Einstein was known to smoke pipe tobacco, I consider that psychoactive.

Offlinehydrolaw
Trippitus Alotus

Re: Did Einstein (or other great minds) indulge in psychoactives? [Re: Dest]
    #14217726 - 03/31/11 10:20 PM (13 years, 1 day ago)

He also just so happened to be a sort of idiot savant. I think they would call him something of an aspie now? Parts of his brain like social function were not as developed which let other parts of his brain be used beyond normal human capability. There's no reason to say that he used LSD. You're trying to rationalize your own drug use against peoples preconceived notions that it makes you stupid. This creates a sort of cognitive dissonance in your mind that you are trying to dispel by associating yourself with the opposite of what people think of when they think of drugs. It's simple psychology. All your other claims about every smart person ever using hallucinogens are just bullshit. Some did, some didn't. Some had great ideas, others thought that the greatest joke ever told to them was the word banana. Try thinking ouside the box, rather than letting the chains of society control you by just doing the opposite of them.

Offlinek00laid
NEMO
 User Gallery

Re: Did Einstein (or other great minds) indulge in psychoactives? [Re: Dest]
    #14217950 - 03/31/11 10:59 PM (13 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

Dest said:
pipe tobacco, I consider that psychoactive.

lol... rly?

--------------------
AMU - AMU Q & A - MyVideo Teks!

Offlinenate3993
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: CA
Re: Did Einstein (or other great minds) indulge in psychoactives? [Re: k00laid]
    #14218770 - 04/01/11 02:49 AM (13 years, 1 day ago)

they found in cannabis in shakespeare's pipe

Offlineiluvfungi
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA USA Flag
Re: Did Einstein (or other great minds) indulge in psychoactives? [Re: nate3993]
    #14219857 - 04/01/11 10:04 AM (13 years, 22 hours ago)

Can't say for certain, but more then likely.

Francis Crick, the Nobel Prize-winning father of modern genetics, was under the influence of LSD when he first deduced the double-helix structure of DNA nearly 50 years ago. The abrasive and unorthodox Crick and his brilliant American co-researcher James Watson famously celebrated their eureka moment in March 1953 by running from the now legendary Cavendish Laboratory in Cambridge to the nearby Eagle pub, where they announced over pints of bitter that they had discovered the secret of life.

Crick, who died ten days ago, aged 88, later told a fellow scientist that he often used small doses of LSD then an experimental drug used in psychotherapy to boost his powers of thought. He said it was LSD, not the Eagle's warm beer, that helped him to unravel the structure of DNA, the discovery that won him the Nobel Prize.

Despite his Establishment image, Crick was a devotee of novelist Aldous Huxley, whose accounts of his experiments with LSD and another hallucinogen, mescaline, in the short stories The Doors Of Perception and Heaven And Hell became cult texts for the hippies of the Sixties and Seventies. In the late Sixties, Crick was a founder member of Soma, a legalise-cannabis group named after the drug in Huxley's novel Brave New World. He even put his name to a famous letter to The Times in 1967 calling for a reform in the drugs laws.

It was through his membership of Soma that Crick inadvertently became the inspiration for the biggest LSD manufacturing conspiracy-the world has ever seen the multimillion-pound drug factory in a remote farmhouse in Wales that was smashed by the Operation Julie raids of the late Seventies.
Crick's involvement with the gang was fleeting but crucial. The revered scientist had been invited to the Cambridge home of freewheeling American writer David Solomon a friend of hippie LSD guru Timothy Leary who had come to Britain in 1967 on a quest to discover a method for manufacturing pure THC, the active ingredient of cannabis.

It was Crick's presence in Solomon's social circle that attracted a brilliant young biochemist, Richard Kemp, who soon became a convert to the attractions of both cannabis and LSD. Kemp was recruited to the THC project in 1968, but soon afterwards devised the world's first foolproof method of producing cheap, pure LSD. Solomon and Kemp went into business, manufacturing acid in a succession of rented houses before setting up their laboratory in a cottage on a hillside near Tregaron, Carmarthenshire, in 1973. It is estimated that Kemp manufactured drugs worth Pounds 2.5 million an astonishing amount in the Seventies before police stormed the building in 1977 and seized enough pure LSD and its constituent chemicals to make two million LSD 'tabs'.

The arrest and conviction of Solomon, Kemp and a string of co-conspirators dominated the headlines for months. I was covering the case as a reporter at the time and it was then that I met Kemp's close friend, Garrod Harker, whose home had been raided by police but who had not been arrest ed. Harker told me that Kemp and his girlfriend Christine Bott by then in jail were hippie idealists who were completely uninterested in the money they were making.

They gave away thousands to pet causes such as the Glastonbury pop festival and the drugs charity Release.

'They have a philosophy,' Harker told me at the time. 'They believe industrial society will collapse when the oil runs out and that the answer is to change people's mindsets using acid. They believe LSD can help people to see that a return to a natural society based on self-sufficiency is the only way to save themselves.

'Dick Kemp told me he met Francis Crick at Cambridge. Crick had told him that some Cambridge academics used LSD in tiny amounts as a thinking tool, to liberate them from preconceptions and let their genius wander freely to new ideas. Crick told him he had perceived the double-helix shape while on LSD.

'It was clear that Dick Kemp was highly impressed and probably bowled over by what Crick had told him. He told me that if a man like Crick, who had gone to the heart of human existence, had used LSD, then it was worth using. Crick was certainly Dick Kemp's inspiration.' Shortly afterwards I visited Crick at his home, Golden Helix, in Cambridge.

He listened with rapt, amused attention to what I told him about the role of LSD in his Nobel Prize-winning discovery. He gave no intimation of surprise. When I had finished, he said: 'Print a word of it and I'll sue.'

http://www.hallucinogens.com/lsd/francis-crick.html

http://www.intuition.org/txt/crick2.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Crick

Plenty of others admit to this as well. I believe Einstein was not just a human. Same with many others on this planet. If you are ready to accept this is truth, listen to the video that changed my life forever in my sig. That is the real deal folks.

InvisibleJanamil

Re: Did Einstein (or other great minds) indulge in psychoactives? [Re: iluvfungi]
    #14220119 - 04/01/11 11:07 AM (13 years, 21 hours ago)

Some peoples minds are default psychedelic.

Many artists, many scientists, ect. I have one as-well but I am highly "asperger". I see spatial reconstructions of every thought Ive ever had.

In neurology I believe it to be a attention problem on the left side, inducing forced right side cognitive understanding. Understanding of the raw information.

OfflineHarryL
Squnä'am
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington State
Re: Did Einstein (or other great minds) indulge in psychoactives? [Re: Janamil]
    #14221507 - 04/01/11 03:00 PM (13 years, 17 hours ago)

1) I would wonder about a site called "hallucinogens.com"? they provide no reference and their info is based on at least a third party...

2) This is an hour long interview... about all he says is below, stating he does not have first hand knowledge.. ie, did not take any.. http://www.thinkingallowed.com/2fcrick.html

MISHLOVE: Do you have a sense of the process by which hallucinogenic drugs such as LSD, or psychedelic drugs, actually affect the brain? What is going on there?

CRICK: Well, I don't have a detailed knowledge, no, I don't, and I'm not sure that anybody else really knows. They have a rough idea.

3) interesting person... for sure...

thinking about it, I wonder too about the time line... DNA model was developed before 1953 (published in 1953 in Nature), and I would question if LSD was widely available at that time... I think it became more abundent in the early 60s when folks were doing it like Leery... I could be wrong though.. was not there.. just have not seen anything striking to make me think so...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldous_Huxley#Personal_life says
On 24 December 1955, Huxley took his first dose of LSD... which means, that Crick would not have been influenced by Huxley when the DNA paper was written years before!!!!

also.. Einstien was not an idiot savanat... accomplished violin player, married, enjoyed his close friendships, enjoyed discussions on philosophy, was not anti-social, worked in multiple professor positions through out his career, 1905 wrote 5 important papers one which garnered him a nobel prize...  published some 300 papers in science and 150 works in non-science.. ps.. he was good at math...

--------------------
Mushroom hunting:  One bad mushroom can ruin your day! Know it or throw it.

Invisiblemillzy
Male

#14222009 - 04/01/11 04:34 PM (13 years, 16 hours ago)

i don't think einstein used psychedelics. i just don't think they would've been available to him.

--------------------
I'm up to my ears in unwritten words. - J.D. Salinger

Offlinekojopolis
"Time will perfect matter."
Male

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Did Einstein (or other great minds) indulge in psychoactives? [Re: millzy]
    #14223245 - 04/01/11 08:48 PM (13 years, 12 hours ago)

i'm pretty sure with a thought process like his he must of had a trip-like thought process creative geniuses analyze everything and get lost in thought/daydreaming (i have ADHD and get lost in daydreams/ideas quite often, though it's certainly not half as hardcore as these guys) , just like when your tripping, maybe this is why the really smart geniuses go insane? just a theory more directed towards right brained creative thought though

Edited by kojopolis (04/01/11 08:50 PM)

InvisibleJanamil

#14223320 - 04/01/11 09:08 PM (13 years, 11 hours ago)

Quote:

kojopolis said:
i'm pretty sure with a thought process like his he must of had a trip-like thought process creative geniuses analyze everything and get lost in thought/daydreaming (i have ADHD and get lost in daydreams/ideas quite often, though it's certainly not half as hardcore as these guys) , just like when your tripping, maybe this is why the really smart geniuses go insane? just a theory more directed towards right brained creative thought though

That is exactly how it is. At least, I believe. I dont know, I am a different mind but I will stare at something. Like.. water being swirled and something being solubility in it, and Ill think on logical things, picturing things like atomic, molecular changes, ect.

Quote:

HarryL said:
1) I would wonder about a site called "hallucinogens.com"? they provide no reference and their info is based on at least a third party...

2) This is an hour long interview... about all he says is below, stating he does not have first hand knowledge.. ie, did not take any.. http://www.thinkingallowed.com/2fcrick.html

MISHLOVE: Do you have a sense of the process by which hallucinogenic drugs such as LSD, or psychedelic drugs, actually affect the brain? What is going on there?

CRICK: Well, I don't have a detailed knowledge, no, I don't, and I'm not sure that anybody else really knows. They have a rough idea.

3) interesting person... for sure...

thinking about it, I wonder too about the time line... DNA model was developed before 1953 (published in 1953 in Nature), and I would question if LSD was widely available at that time... I think it became more abundent in the early 60s when folks were doing it like Leery... I could be wrong though.. was not there.. just have not seen anything striking to make me think so...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldous_Huxley#Personal_life says
On 24 December 1955, Huxley took his first dose of LSD... which means, that Crick would not have been influenced by Huxley when the DNA paper was written years before!!!!

also.. Einstien was not an idiot savanat... accomplished violin player, married, enjoyed his close friendships, enjoyed discussions on philosophy, was not anti-social, worked in multiple professor positions through out his career, 1905 wrote 5 important papers one which garnered him a nobel prize...  published some 300 papers in science and 150 works in non-science.. ps.. he was good at math...

"idiot savant" Please don't assume like most people that autism equals idiotic in every state. To be honest, I don't see how he was not an "idiot savant". It makes sense as to why he was so introverted and mysterious. I also believed he didn't have this social ability until later in life like most aspies. Really though, asperger just as autism scales in many ways. Its really based on your biological adaption and ability to control/change your brain and learn the things you need to vs the things that make you "genius". Some will eventually have the ability to do both through indirect ways, but they have always started from there "aspie" state some just have the ability to not show "sterotypical" symptoms as they are not a normal occurrence.

Alot of the intelligent "experienced" (as in with there own mind/adaption/learing what they need to) aspergers these days become very introverted and think slowly as to what to say and have no real ego to fall back on.

I guess most people just really don't understand autism. Autism is not being "retarded" or the like. It is "Autism", it is different, it is misunderstood and it effects the brain in many ways we do not understand. It is honestly the opposite of being retarded.

Offlineimachavel
I loved and lost but I loved-ftw
Male User Gallery

Loc: You get banned for saying that Flag
Re: Did Einstein (or other great minds) indulge in psychoactives? [Re: ifoundwaldo]
    #14224662 - 04/02/11 02:26 AM (13 years, 6 hours ago)

Quote:

ifoundwaldo said:
:tmckenna: Even as the nineteenth century had to come to grips with the notion of human descent from apes, we must now come to terms with the fact that those apes were stoned apes.

:lol:

but what is this fascination people have with every smart thing people thought up, they were under the influence of something? I'm not saying albert einstein didn't high, or that he did, do we really know?

but furthermore, whether he did or not, doesn't mean he was when he figured out e=mc2, and no one is saying sir isaac newton was the first person to imagine that what is holding us down to the planet is the same thing that keeps the moon in orbit, he was just the first person that has said it in recorded history

interesting idea though

--------------------
:kingcrankey: I did not say to edit my signature soulidarity! Now forever I will never remember what I said about understanding the secrets of the universe by paying attention to subtleties!

:facepalm: I'm never giving you the password again. Jerk

InvisiblelasdR
nostalgic sci-fi
 User Gallery

Loc: In your mind
Re: Did Einstein (or other great minds) indulge in psychoactives? [Re: imachavel]
    #14224750 - 04/02/11 03:19 AM (13 years, 5 hours ago)

many of you fools are missing the point. I didnt tell any facts in the first psot. Was curious about what inventions psychoactives gave to progression in science, physics etc in modern history. that lsd was available to einstein is without a doubt, but if he actually used it or any other similar compound is unknown.

The doscovery of the DNA structures is something I was aware of. Very good one. This was something that went down bigtime in the 60s. architects and people with problem dilemmas sat down in groups and altered their minds pondering old questions. there may me many more

--------------------
:crazyeyes::eek: :thirdeyeani:

InvisibleJanamil

Re: Did Einstein (or other great minds) indulge in psychoactives? [Re: lasdR]
    #14225291 - 04/02/11 10:02 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

lasdR said:
many of you fools are missing the point. I didnt tell any facts in the first psot. Was curious about what inventions psychoactives gave to progression in science, physics etc in modern history. that lsd was available to einstein is without a doubt, but if he actually used it or any other similar compound is unknown.

The doscovery of the DNA structures is something I was aware of. Very good one. This was something that went down bigtime in the 60s. architects and people with problem dilemmas sat down in groups and altered their minds pondering old questions. there may me many more

Einsteins good work was done before LSD was even created. If you must know. Its really not important to know if other great minds have done to.. justify yourself of your drug use but if your trying to look into there perspective, then thats a great thing. Perspective is everything.

InvisiblelasdR
nostalgic sci-fi
 User Gallery

Loc: In your mind
Re: Did Einstein (or other great minds) indulge in psychoactives? [Re: Janamil]
    #14225759 - 04/02/11 12:17 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Janamil said:
Quote:

lasdR said:

Einsteins good work was done before LSD was even created. If you must know. Its really not important to know if other great minds have done to.. justify yourself of your drug use but if your trying to look into there perspective, then thats a great thing. Perspective is everything.

hello? stop being delusional. stop focusing on einstein and lsd. psychoactives in general outside the usuals.

--------------------
:crazyeyes::eek: :thirdeyeani:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Cultivation Supplies