Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGroosBrewz
Fungus Freak
 User Gallery

Oyster Mushroom Experiment- Laundry Basket, Wood blocks, and newspaper
    #14160137 - 03/21/11 04:19 PM (13 years, 10 days ago)

I had a bunch of spawn and some pre-made substrate sitting around so I did an experiment and spawned oyster WBS to two straw filled (pasteurized of course) laundry baskets (one big and one small), two grocery sacks of newspaper soaked in a light bleach solution, and two sawdust/woodchip blocks made with a combination of soft and hardwood pellets and Lil Chief Alder Smoker Wood Chips, which I had made about a week ago for some shiitake spawn, but since it's taking forever to colonize the WBS, I decided to use them for the oyster mushroom. I am curious to see how all three methods compare. I am hoping that I will get acceptable yields in a reasonable amount from the newspaper, since this is by far the easiest method, but we'll see! I will post pics as the days go by. Wish me luck! BTW, I am using Pearl oyster mushroom..

--------------------
"It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it" -- Captain Call

"American beer is like making love in a canoe- it's f@#%ing close to water!" Eric Idle

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleEvilMushroom666
Heretic
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Oyster Mushroom Experiment- Laundry Basket, Wood blocks, and newspaper [Re: GroosBrewz]
    #14161349 - 03/21/11 08:30 PM (13 years, 10 days ago)

:popcorn:

Good luck brother, I cannot wait to see your projects!

OfflineFriendlyNeighbor
Good neighbor

Re: Oyster Mushroom Experiment- Laundry Basket, Wood blocks, and newspaper [Re: EvilMushroom666]
    #14169133 - 03/23/11 10:24 AM (13 years, 8 days ago)

Good luck.

OfflineTwiz
Stranger

Re: Oyster Mushroom Experiment- Laundry Basket, Wood blocks, and newspaper [Re: GroosBrewz]
    #14171992 - 03/23/11 06:56 PM (13 years, 8 days ago)

Can't wait to see the results good luck man. Hope they are delicious

OfflineGroosBrewz
Fungus Freak
 User Gallery

Re: Oyster Mushroom Experiment- Laundry Basket, Wood blocks, and newspaper [Re: Twiz]
    #14191468 - 03/27/11 10:39 AM (13 years, 4 days ago)

Well, it's been a week and I thought I would upload some pics of each project.. So far so good.. I am little surprised that the small oyster basket is so slow to colonize compared to the big basket but I am going to chalk it up to smaller holes in the basket (less air) and perhaps less spawn to begin with.. The newspaper bags are coming along very nicely and weigh in at about 5.5 lbs each. The sawdust blocks are also coming along nicely. Does oyster grow better on straw or wood?

--------------------
"It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it" -- Captain Call

"American beer is like making love in a canoe- it's f@#%ing close to water!" Eric Idle

OfflineGroosBrewz
Fungus Freak
 User Gallery

#14232963 - 04/03/11 07:51 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

2 Week update.. Both the newspaper projects and one of the laundry baskets got green mold and had to be tossed.. I am not too worried about because I think I have a mental list of possible things that may have led to contamination and will do things differently next time. The other large straw basket and the two sawdust bricks however are doing awesome.. I stripped the bags off the bricks today because they started pinning (thanks to RR's advice) and also stripped the garbage bags off the big laundry basket and set that outdoors to fruit. there are updated pics in this thread

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/14231321

--------------------

OfflineGroosBrewz
Fungus Freak
 User Gallery

#14250579 - 04/06/11 11:02 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Updated photos.. One of the blocks are fruiting, although not as good as I thought it should be and the other hasn't done a thing since I birthed it on Sunday.. The laundry basket started pinning today which is pretty exciting!

--------------------

InvisibleEvilMushroom666
Heretic
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #14250587 - 04/06/11 11:04 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Oyster Mushroom Experiment- Laundry Basket, Wood blocks, and newspaper [Re: EvilMushroom666]
    #14298590 - 04/15/11 11:10 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

:scaryshroom::thumbup:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Click here ^ for the AMU forum
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV
"Man is the sex organ of the machine world" ~  Marshall McLuhan

InvisibleFractalXplora
Grainiack
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Oyster Mushroom Experiment- Laundry Basket, Wood blocks, and newspaper [Re: 13shrooms]
    #14299110 - 04/16/11 12:52 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

looking good :super:

--------------------

OfflineMycomush
Spawn of the Mycelium
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #14299617 - 04/16/11 04:53 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

GroosBrewz said:
2 Week update.. Both the newspaper projects and one of the laundry baskets got green mold and had to be tossed.. I am not too worried about because I think I have a mental list of possible things that may have led to contamination and will do things differently next time. The other large straw basket and the two sawdust bricks however are doing awesome.. I stripped the bags off the bricks today because they started pinning (thanks to RR's advice) and also stripped the garbage bags off the big laundry basket and set that outdoors to fruit. there are updated pics in this thread

If you don't mind sharing I'd be interested to know what things you think led to contamination and what you will do differently next time?

Looking forward to more updates  :goodluck:

OfflineGroosBrewz
Fungus Freak
 User Gallery

Re: Oyster Mushroom Experiment- Laundry Basket, Wood blocks, and newspaper [Re: Mycomush]
    #14300916 - 04/16/11 01:19 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

It's been almost a month and here's an update.. As I noted before, both newspaper bags contaminated as well as the small straw laundry basket.. I harvested my first flush off the laundry basket three days ago.. an incredible disappointment at only 13 oz..  Bummer! I was sure I did everything right..  It colonized fast and I moved the basket outside into a small green PVC and plastic hoophouse I made and put that in the shade under a large pine tree in my yard.. There is visual condensation on the plastic in the house all the time so I am sure the humidity is good. Temps have ranged from 38F up to 55F So WTF is going on? I don't know.. I did notice that the strain of oysters I am growing are not pearl oyster mushrooms (pearls are white and these are brown).. Before my original pearl oyster mushroom kit arrived, I bought some  brown oysters at the grocery store and practiced my culturing technique using them. However, this culture got mixed in with my pearl oysters and now I don't know which is which.. So the strain in the laundry basket may just be a poor fruiting strain or not acclimated to outdoor conditions? I have no idea.. But lesson learned.

I harvested the small fruiting off the first sawdust black 5 days ago and the second sawdust is fruiting as well.. Again, very small yields on both blocks.. Hoping for a good second flush on all three projects.. Pics are attached.. I have several other projects in the works including my first shiitake Sawdust grow, as well as lions mane and enokitake colonizing some spawn as we speak.. In addition I am going to start growing out the Aloha Blue strain that EvilMushroom666 kindly sent me.. So stay tuned for more projects..

--------------------

OfflineGroosBrewz
Fungus Freak
 User Gallery

Re: Oyster Mushroom Experiment- Laundry Basket, Wood blocks, and newspaper [Re: Mycomush]
    #14300962 - 04/16/11 01:24 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Mycomush said:
Quote:

GroosBrewz said:

If you don't mind sharing I'd be interested to know what things you think led to contamination and what you will do differently next time?

Looking forward to more updates  :goodluck:

I know that the straw I used for the smaller basket may not have been at the ideal pasteurization temperature.. I recall it being 190 in a few spots when I went to drain the water.. Also, I spawned the small tote lighter than I did the large tote (I think I used two jars for the small basket and something like 6 for the large one)..  those two things I think contributed to the contamination issues.. For the record, I inoculated another batch of straw in the same exact small tote 5 days ago and it's colonizing beautifully.. No problems whatsoever so far.. Keeping my fingers crossed..

--------------------

OfflinePitcherCrab
Crescent Fresh
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: The bottom of the sea.
Trusted Cultivator
    #14302807 - 04/16/11 07:17 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Looks pretty good for your first attempt! Did you try soaking the low yielding straw basket after the first flush? If the straw block has lost too much moisture the mycelium won't produce very abundant flushes... or it will throw out a ton of pins and then most of them will abort. Also you mentioned you used a lower spawn ratio for the contamed baskets. You can do oysters at a 1:10 ratio spawn to straw. Do you know how much straw you used in each one of those smaller baskets?
Good luck on this next round, I hope it pans out with good results!

--------------------
PC's LAGM 2021 (TOC & TWC)
P. natalensis Growlog 2021
Pans for PC Fall 2021 Growlog

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

OfflineGroosBrewz
Fungus Freak
 User Gallery

Re: Oyster Mushroom Experiment- Laundry Basket, Wood blocks, and newspaper [Re: PitcherCrab]
    #14303807 - 04/16/11 10:49 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I  have not but I will do that tomorrow.. Thanks..

BTW, love the humidibucket idea (I saw it in one of your previous threads).. cant wait to put one together!

--------------------

OfflineMycomush
Spawn of the Mycelium
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #14304773 - 04/17/11 05:50 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for the insight. I'm enjoying using the Shroomery to learn from the first hand experience of others before trying my own. And thanks for mentioning Pitcher's humidibucket tek. I went and checked that out and I think that will be my next project.

OfflineGroosBrewz
Fungus Freak
 User Gallery

#14451243 - 05/14/11 01:03 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Update-  I finally harvested a second flush off the large laundry basket today. It's been outside and the weather here has been unseasonably cold.. The temps have warmed up a bit in the past week or so and it finally started fruiting again.. Nothing to shout about, but got 1.5 lbs off this flush..  I harvested a few tiny mushrooms off the sawdust blocks last week.. Hoping they will fruit again.. I am curious how many flushes I can get off this basket.. Any ideas??

--------------------

InvisibleFractalXplora
Grainiack
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #14454528 - 05/15/11 01:27 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------

InvisibleEvilMushroom666
Heretic
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #14455229 - 05/15/11 08:16 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Looking good brother :congrats:

I personally have not gotten a second flush from my sawdust oyster
blocks, and I am not to sure about how many flush's that straw basket
will put off. Might be safe to say 2-3 flush's.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #14455439 - 05/15/11 09:32 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Straw generally gives its biggest output on first flush.  Timing is everything.  If you're in Seattle(saw the shirt-I'm a 20+ year season ticket holder) now is a great time to be fruiting baskets and straw lots outdoors.  I'd set the basket in the shade for two weeks, and then soak it well and let it flush again.  Perhaps it can make up some of the ground from trying to flush too early.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds