Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGrungeman17
Male

Loc: usa Flag
mycelium momentum
    #14117601 - 03/14/11 12:46 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

There has been good discussion on unnecessary mycelium energy usage on casing layers and if its even worth it at all for cubes.  with that said i want to know if you could case at start of "consoladation" to use the momentum of the mycelium to colonize whats needed of the casing layer. when the valleys have broken the entire sub should be consoladated by then allowing fruiting to begin right away.  it just seems consoladation is pinning trigger of its own and casing after that is confusing mycelium to keep vegitating. this is just a theory that if one of you can prove wrong then great we squashed that bug before it became a menace

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePrimal Call
Earth Mage
I'm a teapot

Loc: Here until here
Re: mycelium momentum [Re: Grungeman17]
    #14117665 - 03/14/11 01:00 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

hypothetically, it wouldn't remain in a vegetative state because 1, fruiting conditions have been introduced and 2, casing layers are meant to be non-nutritious thereby discouraging the mycelium from eating it and, by intention, creating the microclimate of the consolidated surface area.

from what I've read and seen from experienced growers, casing cubes is never necessary, but it is preferred for aesthetic purposes, if nothing else, because it tends to create a more even initial pinset. most of the growers I see casing say once they learned to do it properly (pasteurization, etc), they don't want to ever skip the casing layer again.

for your specific question, if you were to case a substrate that is 100% colonized, but not yet consolidated, I would think this would have no effect or a negative one as a result of the trapped moisture in between the sub and the case. this would also lead, I think, to elevated carbon dioxide at the substrate level if you aren't high GE/low FAE consolidating, which is not preferred.

disclaimer: I'm only trying to help and I am not experienced at all, only self-described knowledgeable/intuitive. hope this helps. someone please correct me if I'm mistaken. :peace:

--------------------
New Cultivator's Guide
Time to fruit? Pinning Strategy and Troubleshooting
My Trade Thread (Fungus, Plants, Herbal Medicine)

:peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace:

Invisiblecyantific
Trusted Masturbator

Loc: Shakashuri Island
    #14117696 - 03/14/11 01:08 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

being as a casing is non nutritious it doesnt really confuse mycelium at all because its not up taking any nutrients ... so basically your at the same stage from the time you lay it to the time it fully colonizes it ... its not eating per se only expanding ... sort of like the whole if you were locked in a room with nothing but celery you'd still be hungry and starve ... you remain in the same state as when you started ... its all about micro-climate and timing ... personally i dont bother to case cubensis , waste of time IMO , only patch uneven growth for optimal pin sets ...

OfflineGrungeman17
Male

Re: mycelium momentum [Re: cyantific]
    #14117730 - 03/14/11 01:16 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

i have some casing from out-grow he threw in for free on an order and so far his shit is bomb i kept it frozen until before i get ready to use it, but i just have this gut feeling casing is where its at especially for a sub thats bares several ingrediants opposed to straight coir that work maricles with sub moister content

--------------------

InvisibleDZ
ranger
Male

Re: mycelium momentum [Re: Primal Call]
    #14117731 - 03/14/11 01:17 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

IME the casing layer helps create more even pinset, plus the humidity can drop a bit lower with no negative consequences. but for cubensis, i haven't noticed any major difference in yields between cased and uncased

Invisiblecyantific
Trusted Masturbator

Loc: Shakashuri Island
    #14117884 - 03/14/11 02:01 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Grungeman17 said:
i have some casing from out-grow he threw in for free on an order and so far his shit is bomb i kept it frozen until before i get ready to use it, but i just have this gut feeling casing is where its at especially for a sub thats bares several ingrediants opposed to straight coir that work maricles with sub moister content

if done absolutely correct a cubensis grow using the same culture will come out just about bang on the same in regards to yield whether its cased or not ... the word "if" though is a big factor ! sometimes water content in your sub may be lacking , or humidity , or even the idea that it is completely consolidated when in truth its not ( for some )... in all these instances a casing could go a long way as a corrective measure for some ppl , the latter more of a mental thing as ppl think it helped a big deal but really it only gave it more time to finish ... for these reasons i believe the debate will live on as each farmer is gonna stick to whatever works best for him or her against their grows techniques faults or lack thereof ...

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #14118307 - 03/14/11 07:36 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

When applying a casing layer, there is no need to wait for the substrate to consolidate first.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineGrungeman17
Male

Re: mycelium momentum [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #14118422 - 03/14/11 08:31 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

thank you RR i had that feeling too common sense thing really as soon as my surface is 100 percent cased it shall be

--------------------

InvisibleJavadog
Continuing along
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: mycelium momentum [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #14121275 - 03/14/11 07:22 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
When applying a casing layer, there is no need to wait for the substrate to consolidate first.
RR

Hey RR, didn't Hyphae's pinning strategy include allowing for consolidation?
This is still something of a grail for me.

Take care,

JD

--------------------
Boyd Rice told my brother that life is a corny pack of freesakes

Myco-tek.org

InvisibleDZ
ranger
Male

Re: mycelium momentum [Re: Javadog]
    #14121331 - 03/14/11 07:33 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

i haven't read hyphae's pinning strategy in a while, but if it does call for consolidation, i imagine it's just to make sure the substrate is 101% colonized thru and thru.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags