Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleveggieM

Cannabis use 'raises psychosis risk' - study
    #14053511 - 03/02/11 09:27 AM (13 years, 30 days ago)

Cannabis use 'raises psychosis risk' - study
March 2, 2011 - BBC

Using cannabis as a teenager or young adult increases the risk of psychosis, a report suggests.

The study published in the British Medical Journal involved tracking 1,900 people over a period of 10 years.

Although the link between cannabis and psychosis is well-established, it had been unclear whether cannabis triggers the disorder.

This research strongly suggests that cannabis use comes first, rather than people taking it for their symptoms.

The research was led by Professor Jim van Os from Maastricht University in the Netherlands, and included researchers from the Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland and the UK.

They excluded anyone who reported cannabis use or pre-existing psychotic symptoms at the start of the study, which took place in Germany.

The participants in the study, aged between 14 and 24, were assessed for cannabis use and psychotic symptoms at three points over a 10-year period.

It found that cannabis use "significantly" increased the risk of psychotic symptoms, even when other factors such as socio-economic status, use of different drugs and other psychiatric conditions were taken into account.

Skunk

Sir Robin Murray, professor of psychiatric research at the Institute of Psychiatry, said the study added "a further brick to the wall of evidence" showing that use of traditional cannabis is a contributory cause of psychoses like schizophrenia.

He said it was one of 10 prospective studies all pointing in this same direction.

However it did not answer the question of whether skunk and other potent types of cannabis carried a higher risk of psychosis than traditional resin and marijuana, he added.

Peter Kinderman, professor of clinical psychology at the University of Liverpool, agreed the study offered more evidence of the psychotic risks from cannabis.

Three years ago the Labour government reclassified cannabis up to Class B from C - against the advice of its own drug advisers who said cannabis played only a "modest" role in the development of psychotic illnesses.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHeffy
BrauMeister
 User Gallery

Loc: International Traveller
Re: Cannabis use 'raises psychosis risk' - study [Re: veggie]
    #14053555 - 03/02/11 09:38 AM (13 years, 30 days ago)

What's everyone think about this study?

The mention of skunk set off my BS detector right away.

--------------------
I am the king of Rome, and above grammar! - Emperor Sigismund

InvisibleJohn NadaDiscord
Toujours Frais
 User Gallery

Loc: Hotwings; race car
Re: Cannabis use 'raises psychosis risk' - study [Re: Heffy]
    #14053703 - 03/02/11 10:05 AM (13 years, 30 days ago)

I didn't read the study but I believe it through personal experience.

OfflineSpiderbaby
?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ireland Flag
Re: Cannabis use 'raises psychosis risk' - study [Re: Heffy] * 1
    #14053766 - 03/02/11 10:18 AM (13 years, 30 days ago)

why don't you read the paper and decide if its bullshit, here it is http://www.bmj.com/content/342/bmj.d738.full

all its saying is cannabis use raises the risk of incidence and persistence of psychotic symptoms, that is quite different from the title the reporter chose "Cannabis use raises psychosis risk"

the paper mentions that normal non cannabis exposed individuals experience transient subthreshold psychotic experiences as part of adolescent development and suggests that cannabis may exacerbate this

the paper also mentions "that childhood trauma, urban environment, and cannabis act additively in increasing the risk of persistence of psychotic experiences" so the fact that living in an urban environment is also a risk factor calls into question how big of a risk factor cannabis really is

i dont believe the risk between cannabis use and psychosis/mental problems in general is bullshit as cannabis clearly does effect some people more than others. However even if it is a risk it is clearly only a very small risk,

this is another case of some reporter cherry picking some choice phrases from a scientific paper and distorting and sensationalising what the paper is actually saying

OfflineHumility
Working on it
 User Gallery

Re: Cannabis use 'raises psychosis risk' - study [Re: John Nada]
    #14053793 - 03/02/11 10:25 AM (13 years, 30 days ago)

I"M FREAKING OUT MAN!!!!

--------------------

Invisiblebigmike7104
Stranger
 User Gallery
Loc: USA Flag
Re: Cannabis use 'raises psychosis risk' - study [Re: Spiderbaby]
    #14053839 - 03/02/11 10:37 AM (13 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

said the study added "a further brick to the wall of evidence" showing that use of traditional cannabis is a contributory cause of psychoses like schizophrenia.

but there's also many studies that show don't show a link and that pot helps people with schizophrenia. and if use raises the risk how come the percent of people with schizophrenia has remained stable as pot use rises or falls.

--------------------
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind
Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must
Feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines

OfflineDiacetylmentlegen
Gentleman
Male

Re: Cannabis use 'raises psychosis risk' - study [Re: bigmike7104]
    #14054063 - 03/02/11 11:23 AM (13 years, 30 days ago)

And I suppose tobacco addicts are all completely sane? Ugh...

--------------------
"When I recall it and when I recall various other symptoms... I think the simplest explanation is... that I had these experiences, that they were real... and that they took place outside time." - Christopher Mayhew

OfflineOzymandihash
Bloodthirsty Shrimp
Male

Loc: FreeRepublic of Mrikostan
Re: Cannabis use 'raises psychosis risk' - study [Re: Diacetylmentlegen]
    #14054105 - 03/02/11 11:32 AM (13 years, 30 days ago)

meh, one has to read the whole study and see what was the protocol, otherwise it' snothing but propaganda.

Quote:

It found that cannabis use "significantly" increased the risk of psychotic symptoms, even when other factors such as socio-economic status, use of different drugs and other psychiatric conditions were taken into account.

This above makes me strongly doubt about the seriousness of the study.

Irie !

--------------------
"To forbid or even seriously to restrict the use of so gracious an herb as hemp would cause widespread suffering and annoyance and to large bands of worshipped ascetics, deep-seated anger. It would rob the people of a solace in discomfort, of a cure in sickness, of a guardian whose gracious protection saves them from the attacks of evil influences, and whose mightly power makes the devotee of the Victorious, overcoming the demons of hunger and thirst, of panic, fear, of the glamour of Maya or matter, and of madness, able in rest to brood on the Eternal, till the Eternal,possessing him body and soul, frees him from the haunting of self and receives him into the Ocean of Being." Indian Hemp Drugs Commission

Invisible5-HT2A

Re: Cannabis use 'raises psychosis risk' - study [Re: Heffy]
    #14054308 - 03/02/11 12:15 PM (13 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

Heffy said:
What's everyone think about this study?

The mention of skunk set off my BS detector right away.

Skunk is a strain of cannabis deliberately bread to have very high % THC, but a low % of CBD. THC is a euphoriant AND a psychotic, and CBD is an antipsychotic. There is a study that used CBD to TREAT schizophrenia with comparable efficacy and fewer side effects than the atypical anti-psychotics.

Normally, CBD balances out the paranoia from THC and you get a calm, relaxing experience in which creativity is boosted due to the small amount of remaining psychotic effects from THC, which is too small to count as an illness. As you may know, creative people are more susceptible to mental illness because in a sense they may have fewer "filters," a type of creative advantage also created by cannabis.

Frequent exposure of large amounts of skunk multiple times per day daily for a period of years in predisposed users does increase psychosis risk, and you would expect that. In the general population, I doubt it has that effect even at that level of consumption. When the level of CBD rises sufficiently in comparison to THC, the relationship between cannabis and psychosis disappears even in predisposed users, according to another study. Sorry I can't find the abstracts in my bookmarks.

PS - A psychotic episode is distinct from psychosis because it is only a brief period of paranoia that subsides when the effects of the drug subside and almost never requires medical attention. AKA "yo I'm really high man...is somebody coming up the stairs?"

That about sums it up.

Offlinesporophight
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Cannabis use 'raises psychosis risk' - study [Re: 5-HT2A]
    #14054588 - 03/02/11 01:22 PM (13 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

5-HT2A said:
Skunk is a strain of cannabis deliberately bread to have very high % THC, but a low % of CBD.

Can you provide a reference that skunk has low levels of CBD? I've never heard this and from my experience, it's simply not true. Any time i've smoked skunk I find it to be more sedating than other strains which makes me assume the CBD levels are moderate if not above average in relation to THC.

Offlinethedream
The Most High

Re: Cannabis use 'raises psychosis risk' - study [Re: sporophight]
    #14054778 - 03/02/11 01:53 PM (13 years, 30 days ago)

What you see here is just more bullshit the government is clinging on to, trying to justify why marijuana is illegal. The moral of this article is pot is not for everybody. Pay no mind to it and keep :bigblunt: if it feels right to you!!

OfflineOzymandihash
Bloodthirsty Shrimp
Male

Loc: FreeRepublic of Mrikostan
    #14054787 - 03/02/11 01:54 PM (13 years, 30 days ago)

Most commercial strains in the two past decades have bred for THC first, but Skunk is definitely not a strain containing "very high" level of THC. Since a few years, some breeders have started to work on strains with higher CBD percentages, for different therapeutic uses. Lots of therapeutic potential also in non-cannabinoid terpens (which give the different flavours), surface has only been scratched so far, more to come & learn about in the future !

Strains able to induce unwanted effect would be those haze-influenced and mostly sativa ones, such as Thai, Souht African or some Colombian strains for instance. I remember once in A'dam, I smoked a fat one of imported Swazi buds and I felt like I was on strong speed for several hours.

In cannabis you can find a whole range of effect, from strongly sedating to extremely stimulating and everything in between. Some also are known to induce short psychotic episodes if overindulged and those are certainly not the type of weed kids or newbies should do.

Does this study mentions what strain of cannabis was consumed by the subjects ? If not, then it's meaningless, period.

Irie !

--------------------
"To forbid or even seriously to restrict the use of so gracious an herb as hemp would cause widespread suffering and annoyance and to large bands of worshipped ascetics, deep-seated anger. It would rob the people of a solace in discomfort, of a cure in sickness, of a guardian whose gracious protection saves them from the attacks of evil influences, and whose mightly power makes the devotee of the Victorious, overcoming the demons of hunger and thirst, of panic, fear, of the glamour of Maya or matter, and of madness, able in rest to brood on the Eternal, till the Eternal,possessing him body and soul, frees him from the haunting of self and receives him into the Ocean of Being." Indian Hemp Drugs Commission

Invisible5-HT2A

#14055049 - 03/02/11 02:38 PM (13 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

sporophight said:
Quote:

5-HT2A said:
Skunk is a strain of cannabis deliberately bread to have very high % THC, but a low % of CBD.

Can you provide a reference that skunk has low levels of CBD? I've never heard this and from my experience, it's simply not true. Any time i've smoked skunk I find it to be more sedating than other strains which makes me assume the CBD levels are moderate if not above average in relation to THC.

It's commonly known. THC is a psychotic, CBD is an antipsychotic. THC alone is very unpleasant. The strains have been bread in such a way so as to maximize profits as CBD mutes the effects of THC to the extent that if you have enough you'll hardly feel high at all as CBD is not psychoactive aside from being an antipsych.

See here: http://www.sciencenews.org/view/feature/id/59872/title/Not_just_a_high --- this refers to North American strains but the situation in England is the same

Quote:

Apart from being an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant, CBD tones down the psychoactive effect of THC without eliminating its medical properties. CBD also mutes the occasional anxiety and even paranoia that THC can induce. This has been welcome news to scientists, who consider the “buzz” of cannabis little more than psychoactive baggage.

But CBD has paid a price for this anti-upper effect. “CBD has essentially been bred out of North American black market drug strains,” Russo says. People growing cannabis for its recreational qualities have preferred plants high in THC...

Also I wouldn't describe THC as "stimulating." It could be you don't actually know what you're getting as most dealers don't know what shit they have anyhow, despite their claims. I also believe, though can't cite, that THC reduces serotonin/dopamine availability in certain areas so as to cause sedation, despite still causing the release of dopamine in the pleasure center initially in the experience.

Click below for one last example. I think they screw up and called CBD "cannabanoid" which is just a general category of chemicals, but the intended word was cannabidiol.

Offlinesporophight
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#14055732 - 03/02/11 04:54 PM (13 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

5-HT2A said:

It's commonly known. THC is a psychotic, CBD is an anti-psychotic. THC alone is very unpleasant. The strains have been bread in such a way so as to maximize profits as CBD mutes the effects of THC to the extent that if you have enough you'll hardly feel high at all as CBD is not psychoactive aside from being an antipsych.

See here: http://www.sciencenews.org/view/feature/id/59872/title/Not_just_a_high --- this refers to North American strains but the situation in England is the same

Quote:

Apart from being an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant, CBD tones down the psychoactive effect of THC without eliminating its medical properties. CBD also mutes the occasional anxiety and even paranoia that THC can induce. This has been welcome news to scientists, who consider the “buzz” of cannabis little more than psychoactive baggage.

But CBD has paid a price for this anti-upper effect. “CBD has essentially been bred out of North American black market drug strains,” Russo says. People growing cannabis for its recreational qualities have preferred plants high in THC...

Also I wouldn't describe THC as "stimulating." It could be you don't actually know what you're getting as most dealers don't know what shit they have anyhow, despite their claims. I also believe, though can't cite, that THC reduces serotonin/dopamine availability in certain areas so as to cause sedation, despite still causing the release of dopamine in the pleasure center initially in the experience.

It isn't common knowledge as you may have been led to believe. The general population would not know that skunk has low CBD levels. I don't think it is a fact that CBD is not psychoactive. Although, I can't disprove it as i can not isolate CBD.In fact now that I think about it, if it is anti-psychotic that would mean it has to be psychoactive I'm pretty sure. It either is or isn't psychoactive. i'm leaning towards is.

As for your reference, although it may have been written by an American most of its references are from English studies.

Quote:

:awewtf:  So how do you account for weed with stimulating, non-sedating effects if THC isn't stimulating?

OfflineRemix
grammer natze
 User Gallery

#14055926 - 03/02/11 05:27 PM (13 years, 30 days ago)

AFAIK THC is somewhat stimulating. A lot of strains of weed have THCV in it, too - which is, by all accounts - more stimulating than regular THC.

Also I've read there's as much as 100 other cannbanoids present in different strains weed to varying degrees. In the same way that the various synthetic cannbanoids have different "highs" ranging from sedating to stimulating (with all different levels of "trippy" added in when you mix them), there's most likely a whole host of natural cannbanoids present in every strain of weed that have various "highs" in relation to one another.

And this isn't even taking into account how differently people react to various cannbanoids and "drugs" in general.

--------------------

Edited by Remix (03/02/11 05:30 PM)

Offlinesporophight
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Cannabis use 'raises psychosis risk' - study [Re: Remix]
    #14055940 - 03/02/11 05:30 PM (13 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

Remix said:
AFAIK THC is somewhat stimulating. A lot of strains of weed have THCV in it, too - which is, by all accounts - more stimulating than regular THC.

Also I've read there's as much as 100 other cannbanoids present in different strains weed to varying degrees. In the same way that the various synthetic cannbanoids have different "highs" ranging from sedating to stimulating (with all different levels of "trippy" added in when you mix them), there's most likely a whole host of natural cannbanoids present in every strain of weed that have various "highs" in relation to one another.

And this isn't even taking into account how differently people react to various cannbanoids in general.

Good Points:thumbup:

OfflineSpiderbaby
?
Male User Gallery

#14056085 - 03/02/11 05:57 PM (13 years, 30 days ago)

THC does have somewhat stimulating qualities, it downregulates GABAergic neurotransmission and so increases cell excitability which may explain its greater tenancy to cause anxiety and paranoia than cbd

Offlinesporophight
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#14056166 - 03/02/11 06:12 PM (13 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

Spiderbaby said:
THC does have somewhat stimulating qualities, it downregulates GABAergic neurotransmission and so increases cell excitability which may explain its greater tenancy to cause anxiety and paranoia than cbd

Interesting...I've got some reading to do.

OfflineSpiderbaby
?
Male User Gallery

#14056224 - 03/02/11 06:23 PM (13 years, 30 days ago)

yeah it downregulates GABA signalling by decreasing extracellular GABA levels, it also increases extracellular glutamate levels which would further contribute to its stimulatory effects

Offlinewre
Male User Gallery
Loc: New Zealand
    #14056374 - 03/02/11 06:53 PM (13 years, 30 days ago)

Hey anyone know if there any study s or evidence that shows that alcohol raises "psychosis/mental illness rick" because I'm sure it would and be a higher risk with booze

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck