Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleOlympus Mons
esprit de l'univers

Loc: ∞
CNN Reports Massive Brown Dwarf Lurking In Our Solar System
    #13970191 - 02/15/11 08:41 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

It has begun.....
:psychsplit:

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/02/15/scientists-telescope-hunt-massive-hidden-object-in-space/?hpt=C2
You know how you sometimes can sense that something is present even though you can't see it? Well, astronomers are getting that feeling about a giant, hidden object in space.

And when we say giant, we mean GIANT.

Evidence is mounting that either a brown dwarf star or a gas giant planet is lurking at the outermost reaches of our solar system, far beyond Pluto. The theoretical object, dubbed Tyche, is estimated to be four times the size of Jupiter and 15,000 times farther from the sun than Earth, according to a story in the British paper The Independent.

Astrophysicists John Matese and Daniel Whitmire from the University of Louisiana at Lafayette think data from NASA's infrared space telescope WISE will confirm Tyche's existence and location within two years.

The presence of such a massive object in the solar system's far-flung Oort Cloud could explain a barrage of comets from an unexpected direction, according to a December article at Space.com.

Its 27 million-year orbit could also explain a pattern of mass extinctions on Earth, scientists say.

Brown dwarfs are cold "failed" stars; their dimness and lack of heat radiation can make them hard to detect. Gas giants are huge planets – like Saturn, Jupiter and Neptune – that are made up of gases and may lack a solid surface like Earth's.

Whitmire told The Independent that Tyche will probably be composed of hydrogen and helium and have colorful spots, bands and clouds like Jupiter.

"You'd also expect it to have moons," he said. "All the outer planets have them."

Tyche was first hypothesized in 1984 as Nemesis, a dark companion star to the sun. It's been the subject of astronomical research and debate ever since. In July, another Space.com article said the celestial evidence suggests Tyche could not possibly exist.

To distinguish it from the Nemesis star theory, Matese and Whitmire are calling their object Tyche, after the good sister of the goddess Nemesis in Greek mythology.

--------------------
I close my eyes and seize it
I clench my fists and beat it
I light my torch and burn it
I am the beast I worship....

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemeatcakeman
the search for bodhisattva
Male User Gallery

Loc: el sol
Re: CNN Reports Massive Brown Dwarf Lurking In Our Solar System [Re: Olympus Mons]
    #13970217 - 02/15/11 08:44 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

that's sketchy as fuck. but what are the implications? only time will tell.

--------------------
大开眼界

:awegroove:
:fbsnugs::fbsnugs::fbsnugs:
Hasta siempre, comandante.
:mattz:

Offlinepfxtc
RUEXP?
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: CNN Reports Massive Brown Dwarf Lurking In Our Solar System [Re: meatcakeman]
    #13970222 - 02/15/11 08:44 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Awesome :lol:

Universe is so cool.

--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

InvisibleOlympus Mons
esprit de l'univers

Re: CNN Reports Massive Brown Dwarf Lurking In Our Solar System [Re: meatcakeman]
    #13970280 - 02/15/11 08:51 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

meatcakeman said:
that's sketchy as fuck. but what are the implications? only time will tell.

now im not one to overreact about a story but jesus christ the implications of this are huuuuuge.

Also check this out.

Astrophysicists John Matese and Daniel Whitmire from the University of Louisiana at Lafayette think data from NASA's infrared space telescope WISE will confirm Tyche's existence and location within two years.

Tycus(movie 2000)

When photographer Jake Lowe gets gets a cryptic message from an old friend, he follows its instructions leading him to a remote research station in the Sierra mountains. After doing some snooping around, he learns a terrible secret: a giant comet will be passing next to the Earth, unleashing earthquakes, volcanoes, meteor strikes and other natural disasters that will destroy the world as we know it. Somehow, Lowe must get the word out and warn people of the coming catastrophe, but even if he succeeds, will it make any difference?

--------------------

OfflineCarnivalBarker
wizard
Male

Re: CNN Reports Massive Brown Dwarf Lurking In Our Solar System [Re: pfxtc]
    #13970301 - 02/15/11 08:53 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Hey man, keep that thing away from my planet.

OfflineSlavaslave
Howdy folks
Male User Gallery

Loc: In a box passing as a dor... Flag
Re: CNN Reports Massive Brown Dwarf Lurking In Our Solar System [Re: Olympus Mons]
    #13970306 - 02/15/11 08:54 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Its 27 million-year orbit could also explain a pattern of mass extinctions on Earth, scientists say.

:facepalm:

i hate it when the news connects every possible space phenomenon with a mass extinction...

butttt.... its pretty cool to think about, and imagine seeing the thing from earth (depending on how close the orbit comes)

--------------------
"I am serious... and don't call me Shirley." RIP

Offlinepfxtc
RUEXP?
 User Gallery

Re: CNN Reports Massive Brown Dwarf Lurking In Our Solar System [Re: Slavaslave]
    #13970336 - 02/15/11 08:57 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

" In July, another Space.com article said the celestial evidence suggests Tyche could not possibly exist. "

So...

nothing happened.

:lol:

--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

InvisibleP-O
#AnyoneButHarper
 User Gallery

#13970356 - 02/15/11 08:59 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

planet x

InvisibleOlympus Mons
esprit de l'univers

Re: CNN Reports Massive Brown Dwarf Lurking In Our Solar System [Re: pfxtc]
    #13970379 - 02/15/11 09:02 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

if this turns out to be what im thinking it is words could not explain what i would feel. I can barely describe the feeling i got when i read the headline.

--------------------

InvisibleOlympus Mons
esprit de l'univers

#13972423 - 02/16/11 07:23 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

i had a dream i told someone about this thread:lol:

--------------------

Offline13.step
cynical bastard
Male

#13972472 - 02/16/11 07:41 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

We all gonna die y'all :urreallydumb:

Nice find, who died after the dinosaurs though?

--------------------
Not to be taken seriously by any means!

Invisiblefloydisgod
whoa
Male User Gallery

Loc: satur9 Flag
Re: CNN Reports Massive Brown Dwarf Lurking In Our Solar System [Re: 13.step]
    #13972483 - 02/16/11 07:46 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Maybe its a huge alien mothership and not merely a brown dwarf! OMG!

--------------------
Fearlessly the idiot faced the crowd
Smiling

OfflineBlueJayWay
Stranger
Female

Loc: PNW Flag
Re: CNN Reports Massive Brown Dwarf Lurking In Our Solar System [Re: floydisgod] * 2
    #13972521 - 02/16/11 08:09 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Awwww shiiiiet.
They make it sounds so creepy with "lurking". It's not like this means anything if it has been their the entire time. They should have just written
"Lurking, encroaching on our planet, a monstrosity four times the size of jupiter preys on our solar system, causing the demise of entire species, shooting comets our way that could mean the end of life, all while the invisible giant kills undetected. A cold, heartless, faceless star throws off our orbit from the dark reaches of our solar system, waiting to swallow us whole."

That brown giant ain't no thing, bitch's even too afraid to show up cause that bitch knows it better back the fuck up off our solar system.:gaycrankey:

But seriously, that's really cool that we're discovering things in our own solar system that we didn't even know about.

OfflinePreparationH
apply daily

Loc: Amsterdam
Re: CNN Reports Massive Brown Dwarf Lurking In Our Solar System [Re: BlueJayWay] * 2
    #13972555 - 02/16/11 08:22 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

It's the scientologist's base.

OfflineSlavaslave
Howdy folks
Male User Gallery

Loc: In a box passing as a dor... Flag
Re: CNN Reports Massive Brown Dwarf Lurking In Our Solar System [Re: PreparationH]
    #13972648 - 02/16/11 08:57 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

PreparationH said:
It's the scientologist's base.

:ilold:

--------------------
"I am serious... and don't call me Shirley." RIP

Invisible4runner
 User Gallery

Loc: State of Jefferson
Re: CNN Reports Massive Brown Dwarf Lurking In Our Solar System [Re: Slavaslave]
    #13972750 - 02/16/11 09:28 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Nibiru! Take me home!

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ohio Flag
    #13972762 - 02/16/11 09:31 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

http://mblogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2011/02/14/no-theres-no-proof-of-a-giant-planet-in-the-outer-solar-system/
Quote:

I’m getting a lot of email and tweets about NASA supposedly having proof of a giant, Jupiter-sized planet orbiting the Sun way beyond Pluto. Let me be clear: while certainly possible, this idea is not at all proven, and in my opinion still pretty unlikely. As usual, this started as a more-or-less accurate media story and is getting inflated as it gets re-reported. As far as I can tell, the original report was in the UK paper The Independent.

Here’s the deal. Two astronomers, John Matese and Dan Whitmire, have theorized about the possibility of a previously-undiscovered planet way beyond Pluto for some time. This is not a crazy idea; we see planets orbiting other stars way out, and there’s other evidence big planets can be pretty far out from the Sun (mind you, evidence does not mean proof). As it happens, there are lots of chunks of ice orbiting the Sun pretty far out as well. Some of these have orbits which bring them into the inner solar system, and we seem them as long-period comets.

What Matese and Whitmire did was wonder how a big planet would affect the orbits of these comets. If you measured enough of them, would you see the effects of the gravity of this planet? They claim you can, and even gave the planet a tentative name: Tyche.

I read their papers, and thought the data were interesting but unconvincing. The sample size was too small. A bigger study was done, but again the effects weren’t quite enough to rise to the level of breakthrough. I’m not saying the astronomers are wrong — the data were certainly provocative, and potentially correct! Just not firm enough.

What I want to see are observations of this planet. And our best hope may be in the NASA satellite WISE — the Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer, which has scanned the entire sky over the past year or so. A planet in the outer solar system may be warm enough to glow in the IR and be spotted in the WISE data.

The article in The Independent talks about this, saying:

But scientists now believe the proof of its existence has already been gathered by a Nasa space telescope, Wise, and is just waiting to be analysed.

The first tranche of data is to be released in April, and astrophysicists John Matese and Daniel Whitmire from the University of Louisiana at Lafayette think it will reveal Tyche within two years. "If it does, John and I will be doing cartwheels," Professor Whitmire said. "And that’s not easy at our age."

Note that first line: it makes it seem as if the proof of the planet is already in the data. We just need to find it!

But that’s not really the case. This planet may not exist at all. It might, and I’d love for that to be true. But at the moment we just have interesting but inconclusive evidence supporting the idea of a large planet in the deep dark recesses of the solar system. That’s a long way from proof.

I’ll note the popular site Gizmodo has an article on this that starts off well, but then goes even farther than the Independent did: "[Matese and Whitmire] claim that data already captured by NASA’s Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer proves its existence. It only needs to be analyzed… over the next two years".

The Independent said that the astronomers believe the proof is there, but that’s different than actually claiming it’s there. I think the article in The Independent is fairly well-measured, but Gizmodo took it a bit too far. And in either case, I’m quite sure that lay people reading these articles will walk away thinking the planet’s reality is a given.

But at this point, we don’t know. And it’s possible that the planet exists and WISE won’t see it; it may be too dim to spot. There are many variations here. Basically it boils down to only one statement that can be said with certainty: if WISE sees it, it exists. But if it’s not seen in the WISE data, that doesn’t prove anything one way or another; it narrows the possibilities down and gives us an upper limit on how big, distant, and warm the planet might be. But we’d need to keep looking for it.

There’s been a spate of overblown stories dealing with astronomy lately (see Related Posts, below). I think this is a coincidence, but it’s certainly keeping me busy. And I’m still not done yet. Stay tuned.

--------------------
!

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: CNN Reports Massive Brown Dwarf Lurking In Our Solar System [Re: jewunit]
    #13972766 - 02/16/11 09:31 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Killjoy!  :mad:

InvisibleOlympus Mons
esprit de l'univers

Re: CNN Reports Massive Brown Dwarf Lurking In Our Solar System [Re: DieCommie]
    #13972793 - 02/16/11 09:42 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

not really.

--------------------

Offlineusefulidiot13
Dark Passenger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Death From Above
Re: CNN Reports Massive Brown Dwarf Lurking In Our Solar System [Re: BlueJayWay]
    #13972795 - 02/16/11 09:43 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

BlueJayWay said:
Awwww shiiiiet.
They make it sounds so creepy with "lurking". It's not like this means anything if it has been their the entire time. They should have just written
"Lurking, encroaching on our planet, a monstrosity four times the size of jupiter preys on our solar system, causing the demise of entire species, shooting comets our way that could mean the end of life, all while the invisible giant kills undetected. A cold, heartless, faceless star throws off our orbit from the dark reaches of our solar system, waiting to swallow us whole."

this fuckin cracked me up dude:lol:

--------------------
What Would Dexter Do?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order