Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
InvisibleSleepyF0x
I bleed nicotine...
Male

More protests: now in Iran
    #13960976 - 02/14/11 12:19 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Police disperse Iranian protesters with tear gas

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) -- Clashes between Iranian police and tens of thousands of protesters wracked central Tehran on Monday as security forces beat and fired tear gas at opposition supporters hoping to evoke Egypt's recent popular uprising.

The opposition called for a demonstration Monday in solidarity with Egypt's popular revolt that a few days earlier forced the president there to resign after nearly 30 years in office. The rally is the first major show of strength for Iran's cowed opposition in more than a year.

Police used tear gas against the protesters in central Tehran's Enghelab, or Revolution, square and in Imam Hossein square, as well as in other nearby main streets. Demonstrators responded by setting garbage bins on fire to protect themselves from the stinging white clouds.

Eyewitnesses said at least three protesters injured by bullets were taken to a hospital in central Tehran while dozens of others were hospitalized because of severe wounds as a result of being beaten.

"An Iranian dies but doesn't accept humiliation," demonstrators chanted. "Death to the dictator," they said, in a chant directed at hardline President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Security forces on motorcycles could also be seen chasing protesters through the streets, according to eyewitnesses.

The semiofficial Fars news agency called protesters "hypocrites, monarchists, ruffians and seditionists," and ridiculed them for not chanting any slogans about Egypt as they had originally promised.

Fars, which is linked to the Revolutionary Guard, Iran's most powerful military force, said an unspecified number of protesters were arrested and handed over to police and security officials. It didn't elaborate.

Opposition website kaleme.com reported that similar rallies took place in the central city of Isfahan and Shiraz in the south. Security forces used force to disperse them as well.

Foreign media are banned from covering street protests in Iran.

Following the announcements by the opposition that they would attempt to hold a new rally in solidarity with the Egypt uprising, Iran's security forces cut phone lines and blockaded the home of an opposition leader in attempts to stop him attending the planned rally.

Police and militiamen poured onto the streets of Tehran to challenge the marches, which officials worry could turn into demonstrations against Iran's ruling system.

The security clampdown is reminiscent of the backlash that crushed a wave of massive protests after Ahmadinejad's disputed re-election in June 2009. But opposition supporters revived a tactic from the unrest, shouting "Allahu Akbar," or God is Great, from rooftops and balconies into the early hours Monday in a sign of defiance toward Iran's leadership.

The reformist website kaleme.com said police stationed several cars in front of the home of Mir Hossein Mousavi ahead of the demonstration called for Monday in central Tehran.

Mousavi and fellow opposition leader Mahdi Karroubi have been under house arrest since last week after they asked the government for permission to hold a rally on Feb. 14 in support of the uprisings in Egypt and Tunisia.

On Sunday, the opposition renewed its call to supporters to rally, and accused the government of hypocrisy by voicing support for the Egyptian and Tunisian uprisings while refusing to allow Iranian political activists to stage a peaceful demonstration.

Across central Tehran, riot police, many on motorbikes, fanned out to prevent any demonstration, witnesses said, speaking on condition of anonymity because of fears of reprisals from authorities.

The uprising in Egypt opened a rare chance for the political gambit by Iran's opposition.

Ahmadinejad claimed the Egyptians who toppled President Hosni Mubarak took inspiration from Iran's 1979 Islamic Revolution, which brought down a Western-backed monarchy. Iran's opposition movement used the comments to push the government into a corner and request permission to march in support of Egypt's protesters.

Iranian officials quickly backpedaled and said no pro-Egypt rallies were allowed - bringing sharp criticism from the White House and others.

Karroubi and Mousavi have compared the unrest in Egypt and Tunisia with their own postelection protest movement. Mousavi said Iran's demonstrations were the starting point but that all the uprisings aimed at ending the "oppression of the rulers."

Turkish President Abdullah Gul, who is on a visit to Iran, urged governments in the Middle East to listen to the demands of their people.

"When leaders and heads of countries do not pay attention to the demands of their nations, the people themselves take action to achieve their demands," IRNA quoted Gul as saying Monday.

Hundreds of thousands of Iranians peacefully took to the streets in support of Mousavi after the June 2009 vote, claiming Ahmadinejad was re-elected through massive vote fraud.

A heavy government crackdown suppressed the protests. The opposition has not been able to hold a major protest since December 2009.

The opposition says more than 80 demonstrators were killed in the turmoil. The government, which puts the number of confirmed deaths at 30, accuses opposition leaders of being "stooges of the West" and of seeking to topple the ruling system through street protests.

State TV said Mousavi and Karroubi were carrying out a plot designed by Iran's enemies.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/ML_IRAN_OPPOSITION?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-02-14-13-26-53

wow. this is pretty amazing. i'm optimistic.

--------------------
Everybody's a ninja...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibletrekie
Metal man
Male User Gallery

Loc: Larger cities Flag
Re: More protests: now in Iran [Re: SleepyF0x]
    #13961041 - 02/14/11 12:32 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Also protest in Bahrain and Yemen

--------------------
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

InvisibleP-O
#AnyoneButHarper
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: More protests: now in Iran [Re: trekie]
    #13961051 - 02/14/11 12:34 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

comming soon to a town near you....

:rabble:

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: More protests: now in Iran [Re: SleepyF0x] * 1
    #13961059 - 02/14/11 12:36 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

It all comes down to if they are willing to shoot people in the streets.  If they are, then peaceful protest wont work.

Look at what happened when the soviet empire collapsed.  Peaceful revolution and protest all across the communist world, until you get to china where they were willing to shoot people in the streets.  That stopped their revolution in its tracks.

Offlinebiff
Boom
Male

Loc: america
Re: More protests: now in Iran [Re: DieCommie]
    #13961069 - 02/14/11 12:38 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I don't think Iran's government is afraid to drop the hammer on it's people. There last election being proof.

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: More protests: now in Iran [Re: biff]
    #13961076 - 02/14/11 12:39 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

biff said:
I don't think Iran's government is afraid to drop the hammer on it's people. There last election being proof.

Me either, so I suspect this wont end up like it did in Egypt.

Hope Im wrong though...

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: More protests: now in Iran [Re: biff]
    #13961080 - 02/14/11 12:40 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

biff said:

The Shah wasn't afraid to use brute force either.

--------------------

Offline13.step
cynical bastard
Male

#13961102 - 02/14/11 12:46 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

The '89 fall of communism had violent revolutions, look it up, people died in eastern europe during those days.

Who would you rather smoke a blunt with, the shah or ahmadinejad? Serious question, ahmadinejad looks kindda fun if not for the whole islamic puppet dictator thing.

--------------------
Not to be taken seriously by any means!

Offlinenicechrisman
Interdimensional space wizard
Male User Gallery

Re: More protests: now in Iran [Re: 13.step]
    #13961203 - 02/14/11 01:09 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I really hope they can oust him.

--------------------
"Cosmic Love is absolutelely ruthless and highly indifferent:
it teaches its lessons whether you like/dislike them or not."

John C. Lily

InvisibleSleepyF0x
I bleed nicotine...
Male

Re: More protests: now in Iran [Re: nicechrisman]
    #13961319 - 02/14/11 01:35 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

in today's age, if these events got global news coverage, i doubt the government(s) would be willing to kill in public.

--------------------
Everybody's a ninja...

Offline13.step
cynical bastard
Male

#13961340 - 02/14/11 01:38 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

if that day is going to come there indeed would be some major change in world politics, but I don't really think it will come to soon, Iran is a bad motherfucker as governments go, don't think they take'd shit from the population, and even if they somehow succeed, the state is run by the ayatollah they'd simply hold new ellections and maybe give a moderate the position for a while. Shit's fucked up there and people can't end it because even if they end it, it wouldn't change, maybe Iraq invades them, wouldn't be the first time...:naughty:.

--------------------

Invisiblecaphillkid
Coquus Boleti

Loc: Jet City
Re: More protests: now in Iran [Re: 13.step]
    #13961368 - 02/14/11 01:44 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I wish the Iranians the best and hope that they succeed this time.

Invisiblecaphillkid
Coquus Boleti

#13961381 - 02/14/11 01:47 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

KrishnaDreamer said:
in today's age, if these events got global news coverage, i doubt the government(s) would be willing to kill in public.

Umm...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Neda_Agha-Soltan

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: More protests: now in Iran [Re: caphillkid]
    #13961427 - 02/14/11 01:54 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

These things only prevail when the leadership has lost the army.  That is what happened in Egypt and that is what happened in the Soviet Union.  They lost the army.

--------------------

Offlinenicechrisman
Male User Gallery

Re: More protests: now in Iran [Re: zappaisgod]
    #13961446 - 02/14/11 01:58 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, the people just need a way to appeal to the army. I mean the army IS made up of the people. I think a lot of times they are afraid to go against the dictator.

--------------------

John C. Lily

OfflineSmokey420
Male User Gallery

#13961642 - 02/14/11 02:32 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
It all comes down to if they are willing to shoot people in the streets.  If they are, then peaceful protest wont work.

Look at what happened when the soviet empire collapsed.  Peaceful revolution and protest all across the communist world, until you get to china where they were willing to shoot people in the streets.  That stopped their revolution in its tracks.

When that happens, they need to produce their own weapons and fight back, take over weapons factories ext..

--------------------
Workers of Shroomery Unite!

Warning: Everything I say is possibly a work of fiction.
Fuck you NSA

Offline13.step
cynical bastard
Male

Re: More protests: now in Iran [Re: Smokey420]
    #13961669 - 02/14/11 02:39 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

When that happens, they need to produce their own weapons and fight back, take over weapons factories ext.. get the military on their side

fixed

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #13961679 - 02/14/11 02:42 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

nicechrisman said:
Yeah, the people just need a way to appeal to the army. I mean the army IS made up of the people. I think a lot of times they are afraid to go against the dictator.

The army can also constitute a political faction, which the people may be with(as in Egypt), or against.  In Iran, over the past decade, the army has actually gained a lot of power over the mullahs.  Ahmedinejad's base of support resides more in the army than in the clerics.

--------------------

Offlineconan
Alternate Internet Ego
Male User Gallery

Loc: Austin, TX
    #13961778 - 02/14/11 03:04 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Police used tear gas against the protesters in central Tehran's Enghelab, or Revolution, square and in Imam Hossein square, as well as in other nearby main streets. Demonstrators responded by setting garbage bins on fire to protect themselves from the stinging white clouds.

If the American people ever revolted we wouldn't have the first fucking clue how to do it.

Quote:

Herp. Is there an app for that? Derp.

Only experience we have with that shit is L.A. and that's just flipping cars and fucking your hometown up b/c someone got beat up by a white cop or your bball team won.

Wikileaks could prove 911 was an inside job and Glee would have the same viewership that night.
-------------
Good for Iran though, glad I wasn't born there...

--------------------
Be Here Now

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ohio Flag
    #13961803 - 02/14/11 03:07 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Worked out well for them last time.

Iran won't hesitate to kill people, I don't think this will get anywhere in the long run.

--------------------
!

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: More protests: now in Iran [Re: conan] * 1
    #13961820 - 02/14/11 03:10 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

conan said:
If the American people ever revolted we wouldn't have the first fucking clue how to do it.

I think you'd be surprised

Offline13.step
cynical bastard
Male

Re: More protests: now in Iran [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #13961839 - 02/14/11 03:13 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

:lol: I'd imagine it would degenerate into full on civil war pretty fast...that's why you have your guns, innit?

--------------------

Invisiblecaphillkid
Coquus Boleti

#13961869 - 02/14/11 03:19 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
Quote:

conan said:

We could do it with Dodge Challengers.

Offlineconan
Alternate Internet Ego
Male User Gallery

#13961921 - 02/14/11 03:30 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
Quote:

conan said:

Pris try not to take this the wrong way, but this is who I think you are. Revolution is a physically strenuous activity mang.

--------------------
Be Here Now

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ohio Flag
Re: More protests: now in Iran [Re: conan]
    #13961981 - 02/14/11 03:39 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

It appears he wouldn't fit in the fitting room.

--------------------
!

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#13962040 - 02/14/11 03:49 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

who you think I am and who I am is completely different, I spent 8 years in
the military, at 43 I'm still in better shape than most people half my age,
maybe you should ignore what you read in OTD

Offlinenicechrisman
Male User Gallery

#13962056 - 02/14/11 03:53 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Oh, you sexxy!

--------------------

John C. Lily

InvisibleP-O
#AnyoneButHarper
 User Gallery

#13962059 - 02/14/11 03:54 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:

lookin good :wink:

but id still tap ya out :cool:

Edited by P-O (02/14/11 03:55 PM)

OfflinePatlal
You ask too many questions
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ottawa Flag
    #13962061 - 02/14/11 03:54 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Look at pris all buffed up. who would of thought

--------------------

OfflinePatlal
You ask too many questions
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ottawa Flag
Re: More protests: now in Iran [Re: Patlal]
    #13962068 - 02/14/11 03:55 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

AS for the thread.

It just shows you how the middle eastern people are all tired of oppression and only needed one leader to start the movement

--------------------

InvisibleSleepyF0x
I bleed nicotine...
Male

Re: More protests: now in Iran [Re: Patlal]
    #13962105 - 02/14/11 04:01 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

yes, pretty exciting to see what happens over there. seems like the whole middle east is ready for democracy.

:popcorn:

--------------------
Everybody's a ninja...

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Re: More protests: now in Iran [Re: P-O]
    #13962112 - 02/14/11 04:02 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

PostiveOutlook said:
but id still tap ya out :cool:

many have said that before

as soon as I regained consciousness I let them have it! :crankey:

Offlineconan
Alternate Internet Ego
Male User Gallery

#13962203 - 02/14/11 04:17 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:

I'm glad my visualization was wrong, this makes you much more tolerable IMO.

Do you do drugs??

--------------------
Be Here Now

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#13962227 - 02/14/11 04:24 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

conan said:
Do you do drugs??

I smoke the shit out of some pot when I have it but my use really fluctuates,
if LSD is around I eat all I can, usually a 10strip at a time, I trip at
least a few times during mushroom season and loves me the shit out of some MDMA

so I guess the answer is no, I wont use drugs, it's for bad people :smirk:

InvisibleP-O
#AnyoneButHarper
 User Gallery

#13962265 - 02/14/11 04:34 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

all pris's first posts were in cultivation fourm.  so he knows whats up...

these pixs are how i pictured pris....

Edited by P-O (02/14/11 04:41 PM)

Offline13.step
cynical bastard
Male

#13962349 - 02/14/11 04:56 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

That's your boyfriend...admit it!

(Fuck am I glad I'm half the world away :lol:)

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#13962395 - 02/14/11 05:07 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:

:facepalm:

Congressman Lee.  Just say no.  Chelseaburr is not going to call you.  Nor is any of the other young snapper.

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#13962435 - 02/14/11 05:17 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:

Congressman Lee.  Just say no.  Chelseaburr is not going to call you.  Nor is any of the other young snapper.

biscuit says you're wrong

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#13962451 - 02/14/11 05:20 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

That isn't you.  Too many toofes.

--------------------

Offline13.step
cynical bastard
Male

#13962519 - 02/14/11 05:33 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

It's funny how every thread about what's happening in the middle-east turn into something else...:lol:

"You guys, there's a revolution starting in Yemen, yeah but check out pris's biceps":rofl2:

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#13963264 - 02/14/11 07:28 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
That isn't you.  Too many toofes.

no, that's not me... that's a girl playing with my dog

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck