Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHarryL
Squnä'am
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington State
Re: Pelliculosa excursion with some interesting finds.. [Re: psylosymonreturns]
    #13661275 - 12/20/10 03:09 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Right... can not recall if I have a scale on the scope or not.. was thinking of doing a relative calibration.. ie, I have some spores I know what they are, so should be able to get a "about that size" judgement while looking at them.. then compare to an unknown to get a "yup, bigger" or "bout da same"...

--------------------
Mushroom hunting:  One bad mushroom can ruin your day! Know it or throw it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineOreganic
Connoisseur of Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Orygun
Re: Pelliculosa excursion with some interesting finds.. [Re: HarryL]
    #13665845 - 12/21/10 01:17 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Well I'm kicking myself pretty hard right now... I went out yesterday to this same clear cut where I found the suspected "P. silvatica" and I am most cerrrrtainly positive I found Silvatica this time (and last time). There is undoubtedly a second species of Psilocybe in the clear cut. But.. my damn bulbous 10 year old shitty camera decided to die before I even got to the clear cut. And by the time I got back to town I had so much other shit going on that I couldn't get around to snapping a picture of what I found before they dried... but I am positive about my finding. These aren't pellis that we have been finding.

Since I have no pictures I will try and describe them for now. Basically we were having very poor luck finding any P. pelliculosa on this excursion as well as the previous, because almost all of the P. pelliculosa specimen were too old and gone that we were finding. There was noting but a shrivled up pellicle on the definitive thick red-hued stem. Well, after finding a few more of those yesterday and getting discouraged, but buddy claimed he douns some. Well, I went and looked at what he found and I at first thought it wasn't anything. Way too yellow looking, with a strange cap which seemed much longer than any Pellis we found. And there was zero redness to the stem. I looked around and found ONE other prime mature specimen in that location. They actually resembled liberty caps a LOT but were simply more of a yellow color. After more hunting I ended up finding one other small cluster of these which yielded ONE nice HUGE mature Silvativa cap. I am getting a sweet spore print from it. Most of what was coming up around it was smaller pins, so I'm thinking these P. silvatica start fruiting a little later than the P. pelliculosa. Even the pins are easy to tell apart, mostly because of the shape of the cap. Much longer and coming to more of a conical point than any pellis I was finding.

Ugh.. I know that nobody cares about what I wrote since there are no pics, but I am 100% positive in what I've found. Guess I will be making another trip up soon to try and get some pictures..

--------------------

Edited by Oreganic (12/21/10 01:49 PM)

OfflineJoie
 User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Trusted Identifier
Re: Pelliculosa excursion with some interesting finds.. [Re: Oreganic]
    #13665969 - 12/21/10 01:44 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Oreganic said:
But.. my damn bulbous 10 year old shitty camera decided to die...

Ugh.. I know that nobody cares about what I read since there are no pics, but I am 100% positive in what I've found. Guess I will be making another trip up soon to try and get some pictures..

Happens.  Your opinions here aren't written off that easily, but yeah it is hard to get excited about it without seeing.

--------------------

OfflineHarryL
Squnä'am
Male User Gallery

Re: Pelliculosa excursion with some interesting finds.. [Re: Joie]
    #13666194 - 12/21/10 02:38 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Cool... Yes, I think there are more than one species in the clear cuts... wonder if the spore print color would be slightly different..

thanks for the note... cool!

Be interesting if we have a mild few weeks, and look again... see what is there... in comparison to what was...

--------------------

OfflineOreganic
Connoisseur of Life
 User Gallery

#13666332 - 12/21/10 03:06 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

HarryL said:
Be interesting if we have a mild few weeks, and look again... see what is there... in comparison to what was...

Definitely. I was happy with the amount of the "silvatica" pins that I was seeing. Of course, as I mentioned before, the flip side of that was that there was practically no pelliculosa specimen worth collecting. In fact, I haven't gotten prints on any Pellis the last two times I've been out because the caps were so withered already. The "silvatica" are producing great spore prints though. If I had a better camera I would compare the two spore prints with photographs, but I unfortunately don't think I can't get a quality enough picture from the camera I have.

To my naked eye, I can see that the "silvatica" prints appear to have a more purple brown color, while the pelliculosa look to have a more brown purple color. That is to say that the "silvatica" appear to have a slightly more purple tone than that of the pelliculosa does. I have been surprised a bit at really how brown dominant the P. pelliculosa print was since I first printed them.

--------------------

InvisibleBobzimmer
Crawlin' Kingsnake
 User Gallery

Loc: NY
Trusted Identifier
    #13666469 - 12/21/10 03:36 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Your only option is to send me a print of each.:grin:

--------------------
Mr. Mushrooms said:
I will confess something that should be quite obvious, CC.  I love mushrooms, i.e. fungi.  I really do.  I am talking about a strong feeling, i.e. emotion, for them.  I think they are beautiful.  I even dream of them.

Offlinecrokms
Duke of Nuts
Male

Loc: Mountain State Flag
Re: Pelliculosa excursion with some interesting finds.. [Re: Bobzimmer]
    #13666531 - 12/21/10 03:50 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Bobzimmer said:

:smile::smile::smile:

--------------------
Its not always about the harvest
Sometimes, the hunt is just as good
:shroompick:

OfflineOreganic
Connoisseur of Life
 User Gallery

#13666564 - 12/21/10 03:56 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Bobzimmer said:

:aliceshocker:

--------------------

Offlinepsylosymonreturns
aka Gym Sporrison
Male

Loc: Mos Eisley,
    #13666820 - 12/21/10 04:54 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

nice one bob. :lol:

well weve all bumbled and shit the bed one time or another. so i guess it possible. :wink:

--------------------

OfflineOreganic
Connoisseur of Life
 User Gallery

#13666830 - 12/21/10 04:57 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

psylosymonreturns said:
well weve all bumbled and shit the bed one time or another. so i guess it possible. :wink:

.... :confused2:

--------------------

Offlinepsylosymonreturns
aka Gym Sporrison
Male

Loc: Mos Eisley,
    #13666871 - 12/21/10 05:04 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

i did it with a suspected P subfimetaria too man!! of course shit has to screw up and the camera doesnt work or you dont have one when you find someting awesome! all i got were blurry pics, and then i ended up mixxing up the fruits with libs and i couldnt seperate them!! :frown:

you should try to borrow a camera from somewhere since you do have the specimens. i would like to see them.

but one thing man, if you i layed out say 3 Psilocybe prints of relative size, you think you would be able to tell one from another just by color tone!!?? thats gifted man!!

--------------------

OfflineOreganic
Connoisseur of Life
 User Gallery

#13668116 - 12/21/10 09:30 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

psylosymonreturns said:
but one thing man, if you i layed out say 3 Psilocybe prints of relative size, you think you would be able to tell one from another just by color tone!!?? thats gifted man!!

I can't say for sure, but I feel I have a pretty keen eye. I'd certainly love to try. Anyway, hopefully bob will be able to settle this argument for us... :awesome:

--------------------

InvisibleBobzimmer
Crawlin' Kingsnake
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #13697109 - 12/28/10 05:22 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Here's a shot of the spores on the suspected "silvatica" mounted in KOH with no stain.

I compared them to the spores of the pelliculosa print you also sent and noticed no real differences in size or structure. Obviously this isn't anything definitive, just a coarse examination of the spores. I didn't measure them but I can say they were on the small side.

--------------------
Mr. Mushrooms said:
I will confess something that should be quite obvious, CC.  I love mushrooms, i.e. fungi.  I really do.  I am talking about a strong feeling, i.e. emotion, for them.  I think they are beautiful.  I even dream of them.

Invisiblecactu
culture and magic
Male

Loc: mexicoelcentrodelconocimi...
Trusted Identifier
    #13698271 - 12/28/10 09:23 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

terrific  :loveeyes:

--------------------

cuando una rafaga del pensamiento nos pasa  al lado se puede sentir  que valio  la pena  haber vivido, y cuando ese pensamiento se  convierte en sueño no paramos de soñar hasta realizarlo

OfflineOreganic
Connoisseur of Life
 User Gallery

Re: Pelliculosa excursion with some interesting finds.. [Re: cactu]
    #13809063 - 01/18/11 04:17 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

This is crazy... I somehow never realized that you posted that picture bob! Thank you again so much for your work. :congrats:

Sorry that I am bumping an old thread, but as I was going back through my old posts I realized this one went under the radar and I absolutely have to give bob the credit he deserves.

:hatsoff:

--------------------

InvisibleBobzimmer
Crawlin' Kingsnake
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #13809176 - 01/18/11 04:34 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

You're welcome, Oreganic. Thanks for the prints! I wish I could have done more for you.:salute:

--------------------
Mr. Mushrooms said:

OfflineHarryL
Squnä'am
Male User Gallery

#13810433 - 01/18/11 08:05 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

winter walk - 1/16/11

turkey tails

Little brown mushroom, grass

Yellow gel

ok.. this was earlier in the year... but cool

was out checking out the clear cuts... no pells... picked some turkey tails... walked.. deer.. eagles... nice

--------------------

OfflineOreganic
Connoisseur of Life
 User Gallery

#13810637 - 01/18/11 08:38 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Nice Turkey Tails Harry! I could use a nice haul like that right about now. Your "LBMs" look like Tubaria furfuracea, and your jelly fungus miiiight be Dacrymyces palmatus... but something tells me that it isn't. Cool Aminita though! Real purdy!

:cheers:

--------------------

InvisibleThe Thinker

#13810895 - 01/18/11 09:18 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I'd say the LBMs are Tubaria confragosa

I think the yellow jelly is Dacrymyces palmatus, unless that is hardwood
Quote:

Tremella aurantia. . .typically fruits with its host on hardwoods usually with intact bark. In contrast, Dacrymyces palmatus occurs on decorticated conifer wood

http://www.mykoweb.com/CAF/species/Dacrymyces_palmatus.html

OfflineHarryL
Squnä'am
Male User Gallery

Re: Pelliculosa excursion with some interesting finds.. [Re: The Thinker]
    #13811185 - 01/18/11 10:01 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

LBM were in grass on the coast... Hardy devils... Inch diameter...

The gel was big... Don't recall the wood... Pretty

Turkey tails... Took your advice, been making tea... Nice!

Amanita was nice looking... Was a good year for them here... Used to hunt them up on Marys Peak in Oregon...

All told, think I pulled several pounds of pells from this clear cut... Found making tea with THEM is good......

Ready for spring!!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies