Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetaman
Stranger
Male
Loc: Belgium Flag
Flammulina Velutipes ID?
    #13761968 - 01/10/11 05:48 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Hi! I think I have found some flammulina velupites in the woods close to my house but I was wondering if this species is easily confused with another non-edible one? I m especially worried about possible confusion with Galerina sp.

It's winter right here, there was snow-cover for the last two weeks but the last days have been mild and the snow melted away. I have read that Flammulina sp. esp like cold weather so that makes sense. It's also the only non-polypore or non-slime fungi I have found so far.

I don't have any pictures tho but I ll describe it as detailed as possible.

Habitat: Wood - Found in deciduous woods, growing straight from fallen rotting oaktrees. Growing in clusters.

Gills: The gill color varies from a whitish (young) to a light yellowish color. The gills are free and vary in size.

Stem: Yellow close to the cap but turning darkbrown the lower you go. Non-tapered and about 5-10 cm on adult specimens. 1cm wide and velvet feeling at the lower part.

Cap: Eggyellow with some darkbrown discoloration, esp in the middle. Smooth and slimey, wavy when fully grown, convex with rolled-in margins when young, anywhere between 2-10cm.

Spore print color: milk powder white

Bruising: No color change was observed.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTangich

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: Flammulina Velutipes ID? [Re: taman]
    #13762005 - 01/10/11 06:12 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

From your description, I don't think it could be anything else. Galerinas have brown spore print.
Pictures would confirm it, but I'm pretty sure you have a Flammulina. :thumbup:

OfflineRingelnatz
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: Notts Flag
Re: Flammulina Velutipes ID? [Re: Tangich]
    #13768038 - 01/11/11 10:32 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Sounds precisely like the Flammulinas I pick here in UK since mid December. As far as I know Galerinas are not around in winter and haven't got that velvety brown stem.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures