Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleveggieM

Drug-sniffing dogs in traffic stops are wrong more often than right
    #13745610 - 01/07/11 01:19 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Drug-sniffing dogs in traffic stops are wrong more often than right
January 6, 2011 - Chicago Tribune

Drug-sniffing dogs can give police probable cause to root through cars by the roadside, but state data show the dogs have been wrong more often than they have been right about whether vehicles contain drugs or paraphernalia.

The dogs are trained to dig or sit when they smell drugs, which triggers automobile searches. But a Tribune analysis of three years of data for suburban departments found that only 44 percent of those alerts by the dogs led to the discovery of drugs or paraphernalia.

For Hispanic drivers, the success rate was just 27 percent.

Dog-handling officers and trainers argue the canine teams' accuracy shouldn't be measured in the number of alerts that turn up drugs. They said the scent of drugs or paraphernalia can linger in a car after drugs are used or sold, and the dogs' noses are so sensitive they can pick up residue from drugs that can no longer be found in a car.

Chicago Shopping Overwhelming Offers: Always 50% off or more from your favorite brands >>

But even advocates for the use of drug-sniffing dogs agree with experts who say many dog-and-officer teams are poorly trained and prone to false alerts that lead to unjustified searches. Leading a dog around a car too many times or spending too long examining a vehicle, for example, can cause a dog to give a signal for drugs where there are none, experts said.

"If you don't train, you can't be confident in your dog," said Alex Rothacker, a trainer who works with dozens of local drug-sniffing dogs. "A lot of dogs don't train. A lot of dogs aren't good."

The dog teams are not held to any statutory standard of performance in Illinois or most other states, experts and dog handlers said, though private groups offer certification for the canines.

Civil rights advocates and Latino activists say the findings support complaints that police unfairly target Hispanic drivers for invasive and embarrassing roadside vehicle searches.

"We know that there is a level of racial profiling going on, and this is just another indicator of that," said Virginia Martinez, a Chicago-based staff attorney for the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund.

Adam Schwartz, an attorney for the American Civil Liberties Union in Illinois, said the innocent suffer from unjustified searches.

"We've seen a national outcry about being frisked and scanned at airports," Schwartz said. "The experience of having police take your car apart for an hour is far more invasive and frightening and humiliating."

Police insist no racial profiling

The Tribune obtained and analyzed data from 2007 through 2009 collected by the state Department of Transportation to study racial profiling. But the data are incomplete. IDOT doesn't offer guidance on what exactly constitutes a drug dog alert, said spokesman Guy Tridgell, and most departments reported only a handful of searches based on alerts. At least two huge agencies — the Chicago Police Department and Illinois State Police — reported none.

The Tribune asked both agencies for their data, but state police could not provide a breakdown of how often their dog alerts led to seizures, and Chicago police did not provide any data.

That leaves figures only for suburban departments. Among those whose data are included, just six departments averaged at least 10 alerts per year, with the top three being the McHenry County sheriff's department, Naperville police and Romeoville police.

Romeoville did not respond to requests for comment, but Naperville and McHenry County authorities insisted there was no racial profiling and defended the performance of their dogs and handlers.

The McHenry County's sheriff's department had the most dog alerts, finding drugs or paraphernalia in 32 percent of 103 searches. In the eight searches on Hispanic drivers, officers reported finding drugs just once.

Since September 2008, Deputy Jeremy Bruketta has handled Sage, one of the McHenry County department's two drug-sniffing German shepherds. Officers sometimes come up empty-handed in searches of vehicles that clearly once contained drugs, he said, recalling a traffic stop in which a man, reeking of pot, had a marijuana stem stuck to his shirt but no drugs were found in the car.

In Naperville, 47 percent of searches turned up drugs or paraphernalia, though searches on Hispanic drivers turned up drugs in only one of 12 traffic stops, for a rate of 8 percent.

Officer Eddie Corneliusen, who handles Kairo, one of Naperville's two police dogs, also cited drug residue and said he's "confident that (the dog) is hitting on the odor of narcotics."

Inconsistent training and standards

Experts and trainers agree that residue could be to blame for some false positives.

In a cavernous, chilly building at the abandoned former Lake County Fairgrounds, Rothacker, the trainer, demonstrated the dogs' ability to pinpoint not only drugs, but also residue.

Rothacker, who works with some 60 area police dogs and handlers at TOPS Kennels in Grayslake, rubbed a bag of marijuana against a cinder block in the wall. Two German shepherds he trained alerted on the block with little hesitation, earning sessions of play with handlers who control the dogs' beloved chew toys.

But Rothacker said false alerts can't be blamed on residue alone.

Rothacker, who trained dogs for both Naperville and McHenry County, said many trainers use suspect methods and some handlers are "very lazy" about training their dogs. After initial intensive instruction for dog and handler, Rothacker offers twice-weekly training to handlers diligent enough to keep showing up, he said.

"The dogs are only as good as the handlers," he said.

Experts said police agencies are inconsistent about the level of training they require and few states mandate training or certification. Jim Watson, secretary of the North American Police Work Dog Association, said a tiny minority of states require certification, though neither he nor other experts could say exactly how many.

A federally sponsored advisory commission has recommended a set of best practices, though they are not backed by any legal mandate.

Illinois state Rep. Jim Durkin, R- Western Springs, sponsored a bill in 2007 that would have created a certification board responsible for setting standards that all police dogs would have to meet, but the bill died in a Senate committee after passing in the House. Durkin, a former Cook County prosecutor who referred to police dogs as "probable cause with four legs," said he may push the legislation again.

"This one makes sense," he said.

State Rep. Monique Davis wants the drug-dog issue vetted by a state panel on racial profiling. Davis, D-Chicago, co-sponsored a 2004 law to collect the police data. Seven years later, she said racial profiling remains a problem.

"This is the kind of information the commission is supposed to discuss," she said.

False cues

Civil rights advocates and detector-dog experts said the lack of regulation or standards has led police to subject innocent drivers to prolonged, humiliating roadside searches.

The state's data — in which drivers and officers aren't identified — show that the average false alert led to a stop lasting nearly a half-hour. One Crystal Lake search led to a three-hour stop for a Hispanic man in 2007. He was stopped for a license plate/registration violation, according to the data.

The main check on the competency of a dog-handling officer comes in court, where a defense lawyer may question a dog's ability to sniff out drugs. But, by their nature, the stops that don't lead to drug seizures don't get reviewed by a judge.

The limited court oversight and lack of uniform standards leave vast discrepancies in the skills of dog-and-officer teams, experts agreed.

Dog handlers can accidentally cue alerts from their dogs by leading them too slowly or too many times around a vehicle, said Lawrence Myers, an Auburn University professor who studies detector dogs. Myers pointed to the "Clever Hans" phenomenon in the early 1900s, named after a horse whose owner claimed the animal could read and do math before a psychologist determined the horse was actually responding to his master's unwitting cues.

Training is the key to eliminating accidental cues and false alerts, said Paul Waggoner of Auburn's detector-dog research program.

"Is there a potential for handlers to cue these dogs to alert?" he asked. "The answer is a big, resounding yes."

That frustrates Martinez, the attorney from the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund.

Dogs do not have the human failings that have led to the targeting of minorities, but Martinez worries that an officer's bias can translate through the dog leash. She fears drug-sniffing dogs are another tool to justify roadside searches of innocent drivers, the unfair consequences of what she called "driving while Mexican."

"People of color are just targets," she said.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebloodsheen
ChemChaplin
Male User Gallery

Re: Drug-sniffing dogs in traffic stops are wrong more often than right [Re: veggie]
    #13745668 - 01/07/11 01:35 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Regardless of whether or not the dogs are picking up residue, its basically giving cops the right to search your car whenever. At 50% success, they might as well come up to your car and be like "Call it. This is the most important coin flip of your motherfucking life." The issue isn't corruption or anything IMO, its if this is a legit method to determine if a car should be searched.

Its going to get to the point where they don't even need that, reasonable suspicion will become any type of suspicion, then just mandatory searches will happen.

--------------------

A cautious young fellow named Lodge / Had seat belts installed in his Dodge. / When his date was strapped in / He committed a sin / Without even leaving the garage. That's clever, isn't it?-A boy and his dog

Offlineshroomzi8
king of the wild fronteer
 User Gallery

Loc: Valencia, Spain Flag
Re: Drug-sniffing dogs in traffic stops are wrong more often than right [Re: bloodsheen]
    #13745844 - 01/07/11 02:41 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

For Hispanic drivers, the success rate was just 27 percent

can i assume that drugs dogs like burritos?

OfflineBA142
Melting on my Ti

Re: Drug-sniffing dogs in traffic stops are wrong more often than right [Re: shroomzi8]
    #13745851 - 01/07/11 02:46 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

One time a drug dog came to my house because I had a party and it got busted back in High School. The dog slept in a tent in my backyard for an hour while the cops looked for him...

I'd say drug dogs aren't super reliable most of the time. Just more of an excuse to search somebodies vehicle.

Offlineguest1
Mycena
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Drug-sniffing dogs in traffic stops are wrong more often than right [Re: BA142]
    #13746027 - 01/07/11 05:10 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

, its basically giving cops the right to search your car whenever. At 50% success, they might as well come up to your car and be like "Call it. This is the most important coin flip of your motherfucking life."

Yeah it's a shame, if their only finding drugs 50% of the time, then that means if they want to search something, they call the dog, and even if there is nothing, they have a 50% chance that they get to search anyway! Imagine if your odds of winning the lottery jackpot was 50%, would you play?

Someone needs to come up with some way to screw up a dogs nose permanently if they go sniffing something you don't want them to in a way that you can claim ignorance and not be held liable.

Use dogs to track down people who did robberies or violent crimes, not drug possession, shesh.

Edit:
(LOL @ picture below, how appropriate.)

Edited by guest1 (01/07/11 05:19 AM)

Offlinesorahtak
Tiger Hugger

Re: Drug-sniffing dogs in traffic stops are wrong more often than right [Re: BA142]
    #13746032 - 01/07/11 05:14 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------

Offlinemukhail
Creeper

Loc: Antarctica
Re: Drug-sniffing dogs in traffic stops are wrong more often than right [Re: sorahtak]
    #13746063 - 01/07/11 05:32 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

One time I was in a car being sniffed out by a cop dog. There was about a quarter pound of dank cannabis in the car, triple wrapped, then clingwrapped.

Dog didnt find it. Heard plenty of other stories of hiding weed from drug dogs. I dont believe they are reliable.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Drug-sniffing dogs in traffic stops are wrong more often than right [Re: mukhail]
    #13746114 - 01/07/11 06:29 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

> Heard plenty of other stories of hiding weed from drug dogs. I dont believe they are reliable.

I trained a friend's dog to sniff out cannabis.  It was an interesting learning experience.  They can detect something when they get right up on it, but have very little detection abilities at a distance.  You also have to lead them to every spot that you want them to check.  If I put the dog in a room, she wouldn't find a thing.  If I led her around the room, she would eventually find the baggie, assuming I got her close enough.  She could also detect minuscule amounts, but again, she had to be led to within a foot or so of the hiding place.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinedownlowfunk
Retired Festival Veteran
Male

Loc: Physical Realm
Re: Drug-sniffing dogs in traffic stops are wrong more often than right [Re: Seuss]
    #13746236 - 01/07/11 07:51 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I tryed to beat a k9 inspection. Before the K9 unit showed up a bag of weed fell out of one my passengers pant leg's and the police had grounds to search at that point.

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: Drug-sniffing dogs in traffic stops are wrong more often than right [Re: Seuss]
    #13746317 - 01/07/11 08:30 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
> Heard plenty of other stories of hiding weed from drug dogs. I dont believe they are reliable.

I trained a friend's dog to sniff out cannabis.  It was an interesting learning experience.  They can detect something when they get right up on it, but have very little detection abilities at a distance.  You also have to lead them to every spot that you want them to check.  If I put the dog in a room, she wouldn't find a thing.  If I led her around the room, she would eventually find the baggie, assuming I got her close enough.  She could also detect minuscule amounts, but again, she had to be led to within a foot or so of the hiding place.

Yeah, makes sense.

Personally I don't have or use cannabis or other things a dog might sniff, but I've had a drug dog alert on my car one out of the three times they used them on me.  I notice they talk about the racial profiling thing, but I would imagine the other factors such as youth and mode of dress, time of day, and other things are also important.

I always figured I got targeted cuz I was a young guy who refuses consent to allow the police to dig through my car and ripe things up (they messed up my expensive biochem textbook the time the dog did alert- that was the only thing they found).

An important note about these statistics is that these are the stats after the self selection bias is taken into account.  I would imagine cops who are being tabulated are a bit more conservative in recognizing a dog that "alerted".  (the one time the dog 'alerted' on my car I didn't see the dog do anything at all- no passive alert or active alert, the dog just kept right on sniffing around and the cop claimed it was a 'hit')

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: Drug-sniffing dogs in traffic stops are wrong more often than right [Re: johnm214]
    #13746334 - 01/07/11 08:35 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

They sure do profile, even though they say they don't. And if you look "suspicious" in any way, they'll hassle you. And let's not forget the fact that those drug dogs are trained to alert on subtle cues from the handling officer as well as alerting to the actual smell of drugs. Cops are such wonderful people sometimes...

Offlinedeviance234
Stranger

Re: Drug-sniffing dogs in traffic stops are wrong more often than right [Re: Le_Canard]
    #13746383 - 01/07/11 08:56 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

fuckin cops will tear ur car to shit and just say later....they don't give a fuck about anything except finding drugs.

OfflinePen16
For the Sake of Humanity
Male
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Somewhere in the middle o... Flag
Re: Drug-sniffing dogs in traffic stops are wrong more often than right [Re: deviance234]
    #13747249 - 01/07/11 12:27 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Actually there is a way to fuck up a dogs nose but you'll get assault on a police officer if your caught.

I've heard of people, right before a house raid, they sprayed ammonia at the floor right below their front door. Think about it, whats the first thing the dog sniffs? The crack under the door!

Once they get a whiff of that shit, they ain't smellin nothin for awhile but they will be acting funny.

And another thing, i had a k9 search my car but he never hit anything or sat or yelped or barked for like 10 minutes while they searched my car and i watched as the cop had the dog get up in the passenger seat and the cop reach over and pinch the dogs ear so he would yelp. At that point he acted like officer badass and started demanding this and that and knew where the weed was even the dog didn't and i got busted.

I have also heard of police using this tactic too. if they can't get a hit they will make a hit, so be careful.

The best advice i ever got was that pigs are allergic to water. do your shit on rainy days, they dont like to get out in the rain if they dont have to.

OfflineShroomyJohn
Stranger
Re: Drug-sniffing dogs in traffic stops are wrong more often than right [Re: Pen16]
    #13747517 - 01/07/11 01:05 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Also the dog pigs can't smell through water.  Careful vacuum packing with water barriers between the layers of vacuum seal should be technically smell proof.

Invisibledrjustice
God-like
Male

Loc: NH Flag
Re: Drug-sniffing dogs in traffic stops are wrong more often than right [Re: ShroomyJohn]
    #13748159 - 01/07/11 02:58 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

To all of you talking about fucking a dogs nose up- that's fucked up shit. Animal cruelty. It's not like they chose to work for the cops. They train the dogs by putting the drugs inside chew toys so they think there getting a toy. Taking away a dogs smell is like taking away a humans hearing. It's just fucked up shit.

Edited by veggie (01/07/11 06:13 PM)

Offlinebloodsheen
ChemChaplin
Male User Gallery

Re: Drug-sniffing dogs in traffic stops are wrong more often than right [Re: drjustice]
    #13748688 - 01/07/11 04:59 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

drjustice said:
To all of you talking about fucking a dogs nose up- fuck you. That's fucked up shit. Animal cruelty. It's not like they chose to work for the cops. They train the dogs by putting the drugs inside chew toys so they think there getting a toy. Taking away a dogs smell is like taking away a humans hearing. It's justfucked up shit.

Haha, are you a vegetarian? If not, be quiet. Sorry dogs aren't delicious, i think they can live perfectly happy lives w/o a sniffer.

Edited by veggie (01/07/11 06:14 PM)

Invisiblelittleton
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Re: Drug-sniffing dogs in traffic stops are wrong more often than right [Re: bloodsheen]
    #13748993 - 01/07/11 05:54 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Its all how you look at it it is fucked up for doing that to a dog and it is fucked up for the police to raid your shit for drugs. if someone decides to do the ammonia thing then i say its the governments fault.

Offlineuser1837483975
Male

Re: Drug-sniffing dogs in traffic stops are wrong more often than right [Re: littleton]
    #13749031 - 01/07/11 06:00 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I am not racist, but it would seem that almost every hispanic car has been in contact with drugs, leading to more false positives than any other ethnicity.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Drug-sniffing dogs in traffic stops are wrong more often than right [Re: drjustice]
    #13749760 - 01/07/11 08:26 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

> They train the dogs by putting the drugs inside chew toys so they think there getting a toy.

That isn't how I did it, nor is it how they did it in any of the research I did on the subject.  They use a chew toy to play with the dog as a reward for alerting on the scent.

> Haha, are you a vegetarian? If not, be quiet. Sorry dogs aren't delicious

I am now (vegan actually), but I had the opportunity to eat dog when I was a teen.  It isn't bad once you get over the thought of what you are eating.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlineguest1
Mycena
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #13750050 - 01/07/11 09:43 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

It's the police force that is putting the dogs as risk by training them to be put in the way of danger, not the people being harassed and searched.

If you had a robot to detect land mines and someone put a land mine that couldn't be detected and the robot went over it and blew up, who's fault is that? Who put the robot out to search for land mines, was it the robots choice, no. Don't tell me robots are not living creatures, or your missing the point.

You teach your kids to drive a car and someone in another car T-bones them and your kid is killed, who's fault is it, the parent for teaching the kid how to put their self in a dangerous situation, or the kid for doing what their parent taught them or the random person who hit them? If the kid was never trained to drive and never drove, they would not have been driving a car to be hit in by that person on that day.

You train an animal to look for things to steal from people who have guns and a hatred toward being robbed, who is the real evil being, I'd say it's the cop that trained the dog. If you don't want dogs to get hurt looking for drugs, don't use dogs to look for drugs.

Train a man for infantry in the military and the man gets shot and dies by the opposing force, who's fault is that? A human can choose to join or not in the military, but if they are refused to be trained and armed and thrown into combat, that shows you that it's the trainer that creates the evil.

Maybe if enough dogs are hurt while sniffing for drugs to steal, they will stop using dogs.:super:
You just have to make sure it looks innocent so you don't get charged. I don't think putting some drugs residue on a hidden rat trap that is "set" is a good idea to have in your car. Maybe something more like some sort of irritant that is odorless.

On mythbusters, they showed that a female k9 dog in heat is enough to distract a k9 male drug sniffing dog, but the dog would be removed and the search would continue. Maybe if you had a concentrated k9 female dog in heat smell you could spray all over your car, or some little innocent looking thing which could burst to use enough to cause problems with the dog, although that would not hurt or deter the dog, it would just attract it to a spot. IDK if there is a predator that k9's are afraid of the scent, idk.

I also heard about spraying drug residue on many things all over the place (not your car or home), so that the dogs go crazy and seem to be unreliable, but idk how long those scents last for, and carrying them to places to spray could be considered possessing drugs...

The point is not to hurt dogs, the point is to find a way to make drug sniffing dogs either a problem or ineffective and ultimately lead to them declaring it illegal to use animals to search for drugs because of being considered animal cruelty or too ineffective.

Yes, I know I expressed some warped points of view, I just wanted to share them.

Edited by guest1 (01/09/11 04:20 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale