Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
Re: Making some $$$$ from this dip in the economy [Re: Groovy Grant]
    #13263679 - 09/29/10 09:35 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

NLY is distressed by virtue of the sector within which it operates, namely the dreaded mortgage backed securities market.  However, the management team is top notch and has been very good at what they do.  The major concern that keeps the stock choppy is the question over the sustainability of their dividend.  Good borrowers could end up refinancing while troubled borrowers could be bought out by Fannie and Freddie, two potential realities that would result in a diminished portfolio yield for NLY.  But these things are only concerns at this point and if/when it occurs, NLY's dividend will likely be ratcheted down incrementally which should allow enough time to unwind your position without too much blood in the streets.  Until the Fed starts signaling a rise in interest rates (which at this point doesn't look likely to happen before late 2011 or 2012), NLY should be just fine as interest rate swaps should remain under control.

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineimachavel
I loved and lost but I loved-ftw
Male User Gallery

Loc: You get banned for saying that Flag
Re: Making some $$$$ from this dip in the economy [Re: geokills]
    #13290354 - 10/04/10 07:41 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

anyone know what this is all about?

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jB8T1TpPQxNKMmFlXd8XKsegOAlwD9IL7H1O0?docId=D9IL7H1O0

does this cause more debt or relieve more debt? (btw i haven't seen this in my area, have I?)

more big business investing? i have no opinion until I'm further educated

--------------------
:kingcrankey: I did not say to edit my signature soulidarity! Now forever I will never remember what I said about understanding the secrets of the universe by paying attention to subtleties!

:facepalm: I'm never giving you the password again. Jerk

OnlineLC89
OffGrid Since 2018
Male User Gallery

Loc: Town of Diego Cali
Re: Making some $$$$ from this dip in the economy [Re: imachavel]
    #13306142 - 10/07/10 09:57 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I know golds are nearly always grow since the population will keep growing and the demand will increase but supply will never be enough.

--------------------
:thumbup:I have many strains(include rustica) of tobacco.

Looking gourmet mushroom/cube

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Making some $$$$ from this dip in the economy [Re: nice1]
    #13329541 - 10/13/10 06:27 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

So now the economy is pretty much at rock bottom.

:horly:

If only that were true.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

OfflineDarwin23
INFJ
Male User Gallery

Loc: United States Flag
Re: Making some $$$$ from this dip in the economy [Re: Asante]
    #13352895 - 10/18/10 02:48 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

It's a good time to invest in anything, but nobody really has money.

--------------------

Take a look at my journal

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Making some $$$$ from this dip in the economy [Re: Darwin23]
    #13355785 - 10/19/10 05:13 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

That's slightly generalizing it on both the anything and the nobody.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Offlinenice1
Not the droid your looking for
 User Gallery

Loc: earth
    #13355999 - 10/19/10 07:28 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I have money to invest - thats why I made the thread !

I get 3.5% on my tax free savings account though so it seems best left there. 

I'm considering investing in start-up companies as I have the control over who I think will be good to invest in and the rewards are far greater than any other investments I've looked at.

The only thing is they are my life savings so I need to be very careful and not invest all in one company.

OfflineGroovy Grant
 User Gallery
Loc: TX Flag
    #13373871 - 10/22/10 09:57 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Investing is the same way. I tell friends to put a few bucks aside here and there, and they always say they never have enough. Well if you never put anything aside, you're never going to have enough to do anything with. Do people honestly think they are going to be handed $10,000 or $20,000 at some point to start investing?

We don't make a ton of money, but my significant other saved every dollar she got from birthdays, high school jobs, babysitting, etc. (I'm only half way joking when I say she may have the very first dollar she ever got).  from her entire life. When we first started dating and I saw a deposit slip I nearly shit my pants when I saw she had $27,000 in her checking account. I mean who on earth keeps $27,000 in a checking account?

We've since moved the money to more appropriate investment vehicles, and it has grown very nicely for her. But the money didn't come out of no where, she saved it. She squirreled it away and had restraint, i.e. she never spent it or dipped in to. So each year, we max out her ROTH and then plan trades over the year. But the money didn't just appear out of blue one day.

So even if it's $5 a week, that's $20 a month or $260 a year. Not a huge amount, but $260 is about 10 shares of MSFT which with a 3% DRIP helps it grow. Then you up it to $10 a week the second year and that's $520 a year. Still not huge, but you've got about $260+$10 (dividends reinvested) of MSFT.  Also, you can buy about 10 shares of DD for $520 (from the second year). And etc. Slowly you build a portfolio and you let the dividends grow the position, adding to it when prices are right (and you have some extra money).

Without that first dollar, the rest of the money won't come. Even if you are handed a large amount of money, wouldn't you want to have some practice on smaller amounts first?

This method won't make you a millionaire over night, and you're not going to beat the market by 10 points each year, but you'll grow with your savings.

Anyways, never say you don't have the money to save. Small money leads to big.

OfflineJuDoNoMe
Stranger
Re: Making some $$$$ from this dip in the economy [Re: Shins]
    #13709171 - 12/30/10 11:14 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Gold would have been a great investment in 08 or 09, but as the market makes its way back, anyone buying gold now at its height will be in for a loss.  I believe gold is only doing as good as it is because the pundits on fox news are telling everyone america's dollar will fall, end of the economy, buy gold and riffles.  Soon, when the economy is in full tilt again, most people (even fox news watchers....as dim witted as they are) will realize its safe to invest again, and gold will come back down to a non-histerical level. IMHO.

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Making some $$$$ from this dip in the economy [Re: JuDoNoMe]
    #13709335 - 12/30/10 11:46 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Have you shorted gold then?  :crazy2:

OfflineJuDoNoMe
Stranger
Re: Making some $$$$ from this dip in the economy [Re: DieCommie]
    #13712137 - 12/31/10 04:09 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I have not.  Currently, all my money is going into my house and my kids college funds so I have nothing left for investing beyond my monthly set purchases.  this year I did pump a few grand into high risk penny stocks though....I felt like gambling and didnt want to go to vegas I guess.  So far, that wasnt a good idea.

OfflineMonkeypositive89
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Making some $$$$ from this dip in the economy [Re: nice1]
    #20524859 - 09/05/14 03:41 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Goddamn what I'd like to know is who you bank with that gives you a guaranteed risk-free 3.5% return?!?!??!?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags