Home | Community | Message Board

ShroomSupply.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFaunaphile

Loc: Central Coast, CA
Psilocybe cyanescens in Santa Barbara...again.
    #13687807 - 12/26/10 08:52 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Here in Santa Barbara for the holidays, of course itching to go out looking for mushrooms, especially since my find on the 17th of this month of cyanofriscosa's near the coast.  Multiple holiday events with various family factions, and some rain, has kept me indoors for the last three days.  This morning I parked on the street and walked into my Dad's condo, and saw several unidentified non-active species in the bark planters.  When I returned to the car to fetch my daughter's new rollerskates, I found Psilocybe cyanescens in a small patch, few older shrooms and several pins.  After looking around for about 10 minutes I found several patches in different planters, totalling several hundred mushrooms.  So, I haven't yet gone out hunting, but I got a nice sample anyhow.  These don't look as chunky as the cyanofriscosa's, have longer stems, slow bruising effect, and obvious wavy cap margins in age, which leads me to think cyanescens.  I'm sure you all will have some opinions!  These were in conifer bark, less than a quarter mile from the ocean, with rosemary, ornamental madrone, and agave plants. 
Happy hunting everyone!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCubeBensies
Stranger
Male

Loc: PNW
Re: Psilocybe cyanescens in Santa Barbara...again. [Re: Faunaphile]
    #13687825 - 12/26/10 08:54 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Awesome. I never had any luck when I lived in socal.

OfflinePrimal Call
Earthling, I think...

Loc: Here until here
    #13688440 - 12/26/10 11:14 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

i love that 4th shot! how clean it looks and that blue edge... so great!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I'm not sure if it's because the spores are only recently getting south, some other factor, or my imagination, but it seems the fruits south of SF are generally smaller... any thoughts?

still awesome! enjoy! :grin:

:peace:

OfflineFaunaphile

Loc: Central Coast, CA
Re: Psilocybe cyanescens in Santa Barbara...again. [Re: Primal Call]
    #13690013 - 12/27/10 11:24 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Hey Ryath, thanks for the photo compliment.  There is something so irresistably photogenic about the blueing of cyans! I think the color just seems out of place on a little brown mushroom.  I am new to Psilocybe hunting and these and the friscosas I've found in SB are the only ones I've ever seen, so cant comment on size, but they are pretty small in general.  I'm wondering if they would even show down here in years with less than average fall-early winter rain?

OfflinePrimal Call
Earthling, I think...

#13690541 - 12/27/10 01:34 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Faunaphile said:
I'm wondering if they would even show down here in years with less than average fall-early winter rain?

As I understand it, all we have to do is keep providing new chips for nutrients in the spring and the mycelial network will expand. Then when fall comes with some watering or rainfall, they should ideally fruit again. Tending patches is something of a relationship, as Auweia (and I'm sure many others) have commented on. Respect the shrooms with care and love, and they will cycle their energy to us! :thumbup:

:peace:

Invisibleopenmind
curious
 User Gallery

#13692492 - 12/27/10 08:30 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Gnarly man :thumbup: ...

I was born and raised in SB, never thought you would be able to find wood-lover actives down there.

I'm just going to start keeping an eye out everywhere I go, seems like people are finding cyans/friscosas everywhere this year.

Utilize what you have and make some more patches eh'...

:stoner:

--------------------

OfflinePrimal Call
Earthling, I think...

Re: Psilocybe cyanescens in Santa Barbara...again. [Re: openmind]
    #13693143 - 12/27/10 10:31 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

openmind said:
I was born and raised in SB, never thought you would be able to find wood-lover actives down there.
I'm just going to start keeping an eye out everywhere I go, seems like people are finding cyans/friscosas everywhere this year.

I got impatient and decided about 2 weeks ago that I simply wouldn't find them here (about 1.5 hours north of SB). then 3 days later I found a small patch. then the next week I find another patch. and another in the same day. then another one christmas day.

point being... they are out there for sure. dont give up! Alan found them all the way in San Diego county.

Invisibleopenmind
curious
 User Gallery

Re: Psilocybe cyanescens in Santa Barbara...again. [Re: Primal Call]
    #13694776 - 12/28/10 07:28 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Ryath said:
Quote:

openmind said:

I got impatient and decided about 2 weeks ago that I simply wouldn't find them here (about 1.5 hours north of SB). then 3 days later I found a small patch. then the next week I find another patch. and another in the same day. then another one christmas day....

Really!?..Damn...1.5 hour north of SB, so about the vicinity of Pismo Beach?

--------------------

OfflinePrimal Call
Earthling, I think...

Re: Psilocybe cyanescens in Santa Barbara...again. [Re: openmind]
    #13695437 - 12/28/10 12:39 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

openmind said:
Really!?..Damn...1.5 hour north of SB, so about the vicinity of Pismo Beach? :stoner:

a little more north of there, but Pismo would be a good place to look as well. here's the posts if you want to browse :tongue2:

here and another.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification