Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineshwowsh
growologist

Loc: Deep in the Heart...
Monotubs monotubs monotubs
    #5595108 - 05/05/06 06:01 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Alright, i have a few different questions pertaining to procedure, with a monotub setup.

First, with regards to pastuerization, does anyone else here use ovenbags in a large pot of water, basically doing the pillowcase method, but adjusting the poo water content first, and doing it in oven bags? If so, does it take youa ridiculously long time to do? Is there any problem with having the water be at a higher temp. closer to 190-205 degrees while the poo itself actually starts to approach 160-170, and then turning it down?

My only worry is that i'm getting some of the poo too hot, and hurting it, but i don't know if i can handle letting poo take close to 4 1/2 hours to get to 170 in the middle by leaving the water at 180. Any help appreciated.

Next, concerning polyfil. I did a search, i looked. found nothing (in the forums). I just want to know how dense, or just how much polyfill should be stuffed into 1" monotub holes. I've never done anything with polyfil before, so i didn't know if there was such thing as too much, or too little in the holes. Is it fine its enough to stay fairly snug in the hole?

Next, In theory, coudn't you spawn to horsepoo, and then when that completely finishes colonizing, using that to spawn to even more horse poo, and then when that colonizes, using that to spawn to even MORE horsepoo.... etc. I have 20 colonized BRF jars, and i planned on doing a big 30 gallon monotub and a smaller 18 gallon monotub. Will 10 BRF half pints be enough to do a 30 gallon tub with 3-4 inches of substrate? If not, does anyone have any recommendations on what the best and fastest way to turn 10 BRF jars and excess poo, into enough substrate to 4" a 30 gallon monotub?

Oh, and one last last question i tried to find answers for... right after mixing my spawn and poo in my monotub to colonize, do I need to do anything specificially to hinder FAE while its colonizing, or anything to do with humidity? What i had in mind was, covering the substrate with plastic for 5-7 days, and then taking that off to put on casing layer, and then plasticing up the top of the monotub, this giving acces to the polyfill holes that would not have mattered to the previously plastic covered colonizing poo. any opinions?

Long post with lots of questions, thanks to anyone who can help.

-shwowsh

--------------------
-------------------------------------------------
We're all children here, so could we please start acting like it?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineshwowsh
growologist

Loc: Deep in the Heart...
Re: Monotubs monotubs monotubs [Re: shwowsh]
    #5595428 - 05/05/06 07:32 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Anyone got anything for annny of my Qs?

--------------------
-------------------------------------------------
We're all children here, so could we please start acting like it?

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#5595738 - 05/05/06 09:08 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

My only worry is that i'm getting some of the poo too hot, and hurting it, but i don't know if i can handle letting poo take close to 4 1/2 hours to get to 170 in the middle by leaving the water at 180. Any help appreciated.

Well, just don't let your poo get over 180-290F...I forget what Agar calls it but it's when you're BOUND to get fermentation and n such :thumbdown:

Quote:

do I need to do anything specificially to hinder FAE while its colonizing, or anything to do with humidity?

The man who created the Double tub (mono tub came from it)...Wanted to create an environment that wasn't disturbed AT ALL. So you don't want to mess with it at all...:grin:

Hope it all works out :thumbup:

gl man

:cheers:

-Gnostic

OfflineHongKongPhooey
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Monotubs monotubs monotubs [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #5596670 - 05/06/06 01:07 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

its impossible to keep the entire pot of water at the same temp, i kept running into it where the bottom would boil but the top would be only about 170 so i started using my oven w/ a meat probe. it works great!
I boil the watter, cram the fully saturated straw in there and try not to scald myself too much, then stick it in the oven w/ the ovens temp probe in it. then when the internal temp gets to 175 the oven turns off.
usually takes about 2h after putting it in the oven. i don't see any reason it wouldn't work for poo. the trick is using the oven to only keep it at a certain temp and not try to heat w/ it cause air is so dam slow.

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Monotubs monotubs monotubs [Re: HongKongPhooey]
    #5596770 - 05/06/06 01:50 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Well, you're suppose to get the water at a good 180F..THEN put your bag in...Cover and it should stay within the 150F-160F range...which has worked perfect for me so far :thumbup:

I've noticed that straw doesn't need to be pasturized nearly as long as poo...(like 45 mintues)...I'm assuming that this might be because it is less dense...I highly doubt that poo needs to be pasturized longer than an hour....

Only prob. I see is getting the core of the bag of poo to get to 170F-150F for a good hour...Which is probably why everyone pasturizes it for like 2-3 hours...

I bring all that up because i'm sure someone will say that the temp. of the water will increase greatly nearing the end of pasturizing...and my point was that you don't have to pasturize longer than the water can stay hot...Unless of course your house is like 50F...In which case i'm sure the water would get cooler way quicker. [/rambling]

:cheers:

-Gnostic

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Monotubs monotubs monotubs [Re: HongKongPhooey]
    #5596775 - 05/06/06 01:52 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

HongKongPhooey said:
its impossible to keep the entire pot of water at the same temp, i kept running into it where the bottom would boil but the top would be only about 170 so i started using  my oven w/ a meat probe. it works great!
I boil the watter, cram the fully saturated straw in there and try not to scald myself too much, then stick it in the oven w/ the ovens temp probe in it. then when the internal temp gets to 175 the oven turns off.
usually takes about 2h after putting it in the oven. i don't see any reason it wouldn't work for poo.  the trick is using the oven to only keep it at a certain temp and not try to heat w/ it cause air is so dam slow.

:thumbup:

As long as you aren't letting to much steam out of the bag, then i'm sure this would be a better way for those having problems with the pot.

-Gnostic

Offlinerobojoe13
Stranger

#13501015 - 11/17/10 10:22 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

why is it unnecessary to open a monotub to give it air  but very important to "fan" cakes in a rubbermaid often?

also once the cakes reach full colonization, i know they need to have a couple days to a week or so before birthing, should i keep the same enviromental conditions as when they are beggining to colonize?
THANKS

OfflineDisgruntled
Male

Re: Monotubs monotubs monotubs [Re: robojoe13]
    #13501032 - 11/17/10 10:27 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

the polyfil holes let old/used air out the bottom set, and the fresh air comes in through the top set of holes,. it changes its own air,. is also helps to have a little fan in the room,.. not pointed right at the tubs though,.

and the reason you fan the other tubs so much,. is prob because its a tub set up without holes,.

also the monotub makes its own humidity where as some of the other tub styles dont do that as well,. so require misting and fanning for FAE

OfflineMiceHelium
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: Monotubs monotubs monotubs [Re: Disgruntled]
    #13501597 - 11/18/10 12:36 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Hi, Im sorry for threadjacking, but why is pasteurising in pot of water preferable to pasteurising oven bags in an oven set at 75 degrees C (whatever that is in F).  Is it related to temps in the centre of the bag?  Or is it a 'My wife won't let me cook shit in the oven'.  If it's the latter I can totally relate...

OfflineDisgruntled
Male

Re: Monotubs monotubs monotubs [Re: MiceHelium]
    #13501643 - 11/18/10 12:44 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

for me,. it would be the ease of doing it in a put/bucket,.. and also,. it stays nice and moist,. where if you do it in the oven it dries it out some,.

maybe someone else will chime in

Invisibleanonjon
Partially Right

Re: Monotubs monotubs monotubs [Re: MiceHelium]
    #13502258 - 11/18/10 05:44 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

MiceHelium said:
Hi, Im sorry for threadjacking, but why is pasteurising in pot of water preferable to pasteurising oven bags in an oven set at 75 degrees C (whatever that is in F).  Is it related to temps in the centre of the bag?  Or is it a 'My wife won't let me cook shit in the oven'.  If it's the latter I can totally relate...

Because water conducts heat much better than air, so baking is very inefficient. It takes too long for the center to come to temp.

--------------------
The above post is fictional, hypothetical, or downright nonsensical.

:moon:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:    :moon:

Offlinerobojoe13
Stranger

Re: Monotubs monotubs monotubs [Re: anonjon]
    #13503043 - 11/18/10 10:20 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

so its unnecessary to keep the casing moist in monotubs?

Invisibleanonjon
Partially Right

Re: Monotubs monotubs monotubs [Re: robojoe13]
    #13503320 - 11/18/10 11:34 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

robojoe13 said:
so its unnecessary to keep the casing moist in monotubs?

The idea is to get an evaporation rate that makes the moisture in the substrate last through the flush without having to mist.

But nothing is perfect. You could have the fill too loose or too tight or the air could be too dry there. You may need to fan it some if it looks wet or you may need to mist it once or twice during the flush if it looks dry.

I would def not mist prior to first flush unless it just looks super dry. There should be plenty of water in there. How long it lasts depends on how good you are attaining the right rh / rate of evaporation. 85% is about right on a monotub.

--------------------
The above post is fictional, hypothetical, or downright nonsensical.

:moon:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:    :moon:

Offlinewidespreadwizard
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25057134 - 03/11/18 08:23 PM (6 years, 18 days ago)

Im new and curious.  Why not PC?

OfflineHamHead
Hard Ass Motherfucker
Male

Loc: Galactic sector ZZ9 Plura...
Re: Monotubs monotubs monotubs [Re: widespreadwizard] * 2
    #25057143 - 03/11/18 08:25 PM (6 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

widespreadwizard said:
Im new and curious.  Why not PC?

7 years this one.

Seriously, check the last post date.

Please.

:teareally:

--------------------
The Italian researchers’ findings, published by the INT’s scientific magazine Tumori Journal, show 11.6% of 959 healthy volunteers enrolled in a lung cancer screening trial between September 2019 and March 2020 had developed coronavirus antibodies well before February.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-italy-timing-idUSKBN27V0KF

This online first version has been peer-reviewed, accepted and edited,  but not formatted and finalized with corrections from authors and proofreaders

https://www.icandecide.org/

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom