Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblebloodworm
cube con·nois·seur
Male User Gallery

Loc: 352
Marijuana and Abilify.
    #13361247 - 10/20/10 11:24 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Question.?
i was recently prescribed abilify for bi-polar I disorder and was wondering if anyone had any personal information on it's effect on marijuana use.  I googled it and received a variety of answers.  I was wondering if anyone had an personal experience with these two medications.  I use marijuana for anxiety (and the fun factor) and abilify for bi-polar.  If anyone can give me some personal experiences with the use of both medications I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for your help.
peace and love
bloodworm

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineYoushouldknowabc
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: On Mt.Trypface Flag
Re: Marijuana and Abilify. [Re: bloodworm]
    #13361257 - 10/20/10 11:25 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Only one way to know how it'll effect you :happyweed:

OfflineLarynx
The Jungian

Loc: Guess You'll Never Know
Re: Marijuana and Abilify. [Re: Youshouldknowabc]
    #13361321 - 10/20/10 11:43 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Dude, dont take Abilify, or any other pharmaceutical. They do more damage in the long run, than they actually help "cure". There  are hundreds of natural herbal medicine's available from plants that prolly grow close to ur house. Marijuana is one of the best therapeutic and medicinal plants. If you see a psychiatrist, dont take the prescriptions he/she gives you. They only cover up, and mask, the problems ur having. While at the same time causing new problems. If you have emotional problems, which is not a bad thing, then go see a psychologist, not a psychiatrist. The best way to prevent and cure any physical or mental disorder/ disease is a healthy diet. No processed or fast foods. Only all natural fruits, vegetables, and meats. Smoking a little weed helps too, but dont abuse it. I'll post a video link for you to watch in a few minutes.

--------------------
"Mushrooms always grow better when you're not looking!" ~Larynx

:spinleaf: :mushdance: :spinleaf:
(Everything posted by this account is 100% fictional.)

Invisiblebloodworm
cube con·nois·seur
Male User Gallery

Re: Marijuana and Abilify. [Re: Youshouldknowabc]
    #13361325 - 10/20/10 11:45 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Youshouldknowabc said:
Only one way to know how it'll effect you :happyweed:

haha. true. unfortunately, im out atm.  ill be re-upping soon though and will conduct the experiment myself (you can be sure of that). i was just wondering if anyone had any personal experiences with the two. i've read a couple places that it will reduce the effect of the marijuana and others have said it won't.  i trust the people on this forum (for the most part) and was just looking for some personal experiences until i get to partake in the endeavor myself (hopefully sooner than later).

peace and love
bloodworm

Invisiblebloodworm
cube con·nois·seur
Male User Gallery

Re: Marijuana and Abilify. [Re: Larynx]
    #13361350 - 10/20/10 11:54 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Larynx said:
Dude, dont take Abilify, or any other pharmaceutical. They do more damage in the long run, than they actually help "cure". There  are hundreds of natural herbal medicine's available from plants that prolly grow close to ur house. Marijuana is one of the best therapeutic and medicinal plants. If you see a psychiatrist, dont take the prescriptions he/she gives you. They only cover up, and mask, the problems ur having. While at the same time causing new problems. If you have emotional problems, which is not a bad thing, then go see a psychologist, not a psychiatrist. The best way to prevent and cure any physical or mental disorder/ disease is a healthy diet. No processed or fast foods. Only all natural fruits, vegetables, and meats. Smoking a little weed helps too, but dont abuse it. I'll post a video link for you to watch in a few minutes.

i agree/disagree.  i went a long time without taking pharmaceuticals and have been against it for years.  i hate the way the companies/psychiatrists push drugs on patients, but i have done my research and sometimes the risks outweigh the benefits.  if i feel it is helping me, like marijuana does, i will continue to take it.  if it does not and has any effect on marijuana as the best possible medicine (in my opinion), i will stop taking it.  i am most certainly a firm believe in natural cures and have tried that as well.  unfortunately, when you are talking about bi-polar/schizophrenia you are talking about something completely different than just taking zoloft for depression.  i do respect your opinion and hold most of the same beliefs, however, it is something i am giving a try.  if it turns out to be a negative experience, i will most certainly stop.  i am educated on the subject and think a lot of psychiatrists do a lot of great work and really do help people. it is just a matter of finding the right doctor in my opinion.
thanks for your opinion though, we both share a lot of the same beliefs...trust me.

peace and love
bloodworm

InvisibleAustrip
P. Sub
Male

#13361380 - 10/20/10 12:02 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

I would stay away from it too be honest, but I can't really offer you any further advice without knowing more about your medical history.
Most of the time though, mixing other drugs and meds related to anxiety/depression is not a good idea though.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but doesn't abilify effect the 5-HT receptors?

Could be bad news if your planning on eating any shrooms.

--------------------

Offlineegodeathflux
Guttersnipe
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Stygian Pits Flag
    #13361416 - 10/20/10 12:11 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, when you are scared to NOT take your meds your opinion changes quickly about taking pharms. I was against them and ended up having little choice this year, I was cracking up completely.

I agree that good nutrition, exercise/lifestyle etc are important contributing factors but telling someone with a severe mental illness to "walk it off" won't work.

If you feel the meds help (it takes a month or 3 sometimes to tell) then stick with them. I feel there is huge bias against medication from people who don't really know what they're talking about. Sometimes nature makes mistake, especially when wiring something as complex as the human brain, meds can help fix some of these imbalances. I'm not trying to offend anyone but ignorance of the subject has cost me some close friends. I have to put a certain amount of faith in the science, though I know that the brain is still largely a mystery to even the most skilled professionals

Only you will know if pot is going to effect you, meds are different for everyone. Smoke a bit and see, then why not post your experience for others?  I don't think anything bad will happen, definitely nothing physically dangerous anyway, your mental state is for you to judge. Don't smoke pot if you're going crazy.

Peace and good luck.

--------------------

"Atrophic interludes weave through my life far too often, for me to fight the biggest enemies"

"Standing on the corner of 5th and Vermouth"

:pm: for info on forays in S/S.E UK, organised and well attended (not for actives**)

Invisiblebloodworm
cube con·nois·seur
Male User Gallery

Re: Marijuana and Abilify. [Re: Austrip]
    #13361431 - 10/20/10 12:17 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Austrip said:
I would stay away from it too be honest, but I can't really offer you any further advice without knowing more about your medical history.
Most of the time though, mixing other drugs and meds related to anxiety/depression is not a good idea though.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but doesn't abilify effect the 5-HT receptors?

Could be bad news if your planning on eating any shrooms.

from past experiences, i do not find this to be true for marijuana. on the other hand, i know that ssri's diminish the effects of shrooms but all the research i've done on shrooms and abilify have come up clean.  i stay away from ssri's for this exact reason. 

Pharmacology

* D2 Partial Agonist (Ki = 0.34 nM)
    * D3 Antagonist (?)

* 5-HT1A Partial Agonist (Ki = 0.34 nM)
    * 5-HT2A Antagonist (Ki = 0.8 nM)
    * 5-HT2C Partial Agonist (Ki = 15 nM)
    * 5-HT7 Antagonist (Ki = 39 nM)

* SRI (?)
    * Antihistamine (Ki = 61 nM)
    * α-adrenergic antagonist (Ki = 57 nM)
    * mACh receptor antagonist (?)

Aripiprazole's mechanism of action is different from those of the other FDA-approved atypical antipsychotics (e.g., clozapine, olanzapine, quetiapine, ziprasidone, and risperidone). Rather than antagonizing the D2 receptor, aripiprazole acts as a D2 partial agonist (Ki = 0.34 nM).[21][22] Aripiprazole is also a partial agonist at the 5-HT1A receptor (Ki = 1.65 nM), and like the other atypical antipsychotics displays an antagonist profile at the 5-HT2A receptor (Ki = 0.8 nM).[23][24] It also antagonizes the 5-HT7 receptor (Ki = 39 nM) and acts as a partial agonist at the 5-HT2C receptor (Ki = 15 nM), both with high affinity. The latter action may underlie the minimal weight gain seen in the course of therapy.[25] Aripiprazole has moderate affinity for histamine (Ki = 61 nM) and α-adrenergic (Ki = 57 nM) receptors and for the serotonin transporter, and no appreciable affinity for cholinergic muscarinic receptors.[26]

D2 and D3 receptor occupancy levels are high, with average levels ranging between ~71% at 2 mg/day to ~96% at 40 mg/day.[27][28] Most atypical antipsychotics bind preferentially to extrastriatal receptors, but aripiprazole appears to be less preferential in this regard, as binding rates are high throughout the brain.[29]

Recently, it has been demonstrated that in 5-HT7 receptor knockout mice, aripiprazole does not reduce immobility time in the forced swim test (FST), and actually increases it.[30][31] This implicates 5-HT7 antagonism as playing a major role in aripiprazole's antidepressant effects, similarly to amisulpride.[30][31][32]

Aripiprazole produces 2,3-dichlorophenylpiperazine (DCPP) as a metabolite similarly to how trazodone and nefazodone reduce to 3-chlorophenylpiperazine (mCPP) and niaprazine converts to 4-fluorophenylpiperazine (pFPP).[33] It is unknown whether DCPP contributes to aripiprazole's pharmacology in any way, but the possibility cannot be excluded.

apparently it does.  can you please explain to me how this would be "bad news?"  not questioning you, just a question.

peace and love
bloodworm

Invisiblebloodworm
cube con·nois·seur
Male User Gallery

Re: Marijuana and Abilify. [Re: egodeathflux]
    #13361437 - 10/20/10 12:21 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

egodeathflux said:
Yeah, when you are scared to NOT take your meds your opinion changes quickly about taking pharms. I was against them and ended up having little choice this year, I was cracking up completely.

I agree that good nutrition, exercise/lifestyle etc are important contributing factors but telling someone with a severe mental illness to "walk it off" won't work.

If you feel the meds help (it takes a month or 3 sometimes to tell) then stick with them. I feel there is huge bias against medication from people who don't really know what they're talking about. Sometimes nature makes mistake, especially when wiring something as complex as the human brain, meds can help fix some of these imbalances. I'm not trying to offend anyone but ignorance of the subject has cost me some close friends. I have to put a certain amount of faith in the science, though I know that the brain is still largely a mystery to even the most skilled professionals

Only you will know if pot is going to effect you, meds are different for everyone. Smoke a bit and see, then why not post your experience for others?  I don't think anything bad will happen, definitely nothing physically dangerous anyway, your mental state is for you to judge. Don't smoke pot if you're going crazy.

Peace and good luck.

agreed.  i know the marijuana won't have any negative impact on the abilify or me (i talked to the psychiatrist about this), i was just wondering about diminished effects.  marijuana is and will continue to be my number one medication when it comes to any form of mental illness. 

peace and love
bloodworm

OfflineLarynx
The Jungian

Loc: Guess You'll Never Know
    #13361442 - 10/20/10 12:22 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

I have had countless doctors tell me the Bi-Polar Disorder isnt even a definable illness. Just something the shrink says when he/she is at a loss for words. Each psychiatrist has his/her own definition for it. Try it and lets us know man. Best wishes.

--------------------
"Mushrooms always grow better when you're not looking!" ~Larynx

:spinleaf: :mushdance: :spinleaf:
(Everything posted by this account is 100% fictional.)

InvisibleAustrip
P. Sub
Male

#13361461 - 10/20/10 12:28 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

I'm not an expert on it at all, so hopefully someone who knows a little more will be able to answer that question correctly.

But from what I gather is that Psilocybin works but binding to your 5-HT receptors.
Abilify if I'm reading correctly, is an antagonist against certain 5-HT receptors, if those are the same 5-HT receptors as what shrooms effect i'm not exactly sure.

I think the abilify is going to try to bind to those receptors as well.
which probably could have some effect on your trips the same as SSRIs.

Again, i'm not 100% about any of this, so if any of you other members know, help out and correct me if i'm completely wrong :thumbup:

--------------------

Invisiblebloodworm
cube con·nois·seur
Male User Gallery

Re: Marijuana and Abilify. [Re: Larynx]
    #13361489 - 10/20/10 12:36 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Larynx said:
I have had countless doctors tell me the Bi-Polar Disorder isnt even a definable illness. Just something the shrink says when he/she is at a loss for words. Each psychiatrist has his/her own definition for it. Try it and lets us know man. Best wishes.

i most certainly will.  as soon as it rains here i'll have shrooms and as soon as i get more herb ill conduct the "experiment" for future reference.  like i said, if the abilify effects either of the 2 substances, chances are i will stop taking it.  this is due to the fact that both marijuana and cubes have helped me more than any pharmaceutical ever has.  that i can tell you with 100% pure honesty.  however, sometimes i feel we need to take a step back and let the "professionals" do their job.  i trust this doctor 100% and she is completely fine with both marijuana and shrooms and i plan on discussing the interactions of the substances with her more in depth on out next visit.

peace and love
bloodworm

OfflineSalomon
DAT IRONY
Male

Loc: I dont even care anymore
    #13361614 - 10/20/10 01:02 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

i've been taking abilify for a few months for Bi-polar disorder myself, and i haven't stopped my cannabis use.

i have knoticed no coorelation between the two drugs in my system.

--------------------

Invisiblebloodworm
cube con·nois·seur
Male User Gallery

#13361620 - 10/20/10 01:03 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

nice little thread i found about shrooms and abilify.

http://forums.mycotopia.net/botanicals-cactus-misc-entheogens-psychedelics/39394-abilify-lamictal-psilocybin.html

peace and love
bloodworm

Invisiblebloodworm
cube con·nois·seur
Male User Gallery

Re: Marijuana and Abilify. [Re: Salomon]
    #13361626 - 10/20/10 01:05 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Salomon said:
i've been taking abilify for a few months for Bi-polar disorder myself, and i haven't stopped my cannabis use.

i have knoticed no coorelation between the two drugs in my system.

great news. thanks.  :thumbup:
i will still keep everyone updated so we can use this thread for future reference for those in need.

peace and love
bloodworm

Invisible420happyhippy
The Storyteller
 User Gallery

#13361659 - 10/20/10 01:13 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

EVERYONE IS DIFFERNT

But when I was about 17-18, my emotions were way outta wack. I've been bipolar my whole life but when I got put on probation, all the uppers, downers, all arounders, weed, booze, and psychedelics messed my brain chemistry up. And with nothing, the omni tolerance broke me.

with that said Abilify helps, ALOT. but for me, its pretty much, Your ether in the game of using drugs, or in the game of getting back to base line.

My advice is wait till the abilify is in full swing, and your completely sober to start smoking buds. i wouldnt do any other drugs. but buds should be alright.

good luck buddy

--------------------
WE OUR THE DRUG. THE TRIP IS OUR LIFE.

Onlinenicechrisman
Eyes of the world
Male User Gallery

Loc: So Cal
Re: Marijuana and Abilify. [Re: 420happyhippy]
    #13361692 - 10/20/10 01:23 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

My ex girlfriend took abilify and smoked weed plenty, and never saw any problems from it. (well, she was crazy as hell, so maybe it would have been hard to tell)

--------------------
"Rest in natural great peace this exhausted mind,
Beaten helpless by karma and neurotic thoughts
Like the relentless fury of the pounding waves
In the infinite ocean of samsara.
Rest in natural great peace."

—Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche

My cactus prep method- http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/19629432

Invisiblebloodworm
cube con·nois·seur
Male User Gallery

Re: Marijuana and Abilify. [Re: 420happyhippy]
    #13361699 - 10/20/10 01:24 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

420happyhippy said:
EVERYONE IS DIFFERNT

But when I was about 17-18, my emotions were way outta wack. I've been bipolar my whole life but when I got put on probation, all the uppers, downers, all arounders, weed, booze, and psychedelics messed my brain chemistry up. And with nothing, the omni tolerance broke me.

with that said Abilify helps, ALOT. but for me, its pretty much, Your ether in the game of using drugs, or in the game of getting back to base line.

My advice is wait till the abilify is in full swing, and your completely sober to start smoking buds. i wouldnt do any other drugs. but buds should be alright.

good luck buddy

thanks for sharing that.
the only "drugs" i do are shrooms and marijuana.  i have a hard time classifying them as drugs because i view them both as medicines, but that is besides the point.  i will try both at some point for research purposes and hopefully everything works out.  nothing would make me happier than being stable, anxiety free and an occasional dose.
i think waiting until the abilify takes hold of my system is a good idea.  i have only been on it for a week now and just upped to 5mg and will eventually max out at about 15mg or more depending on my doctor's recommendation and most importantly, the way i feel.
thanks.

peace and love
bloodworm

Invisiblebloodworm
cube con·nois·seur
Male User Gallery

Re: Marijuana and Abilify. [Re: nicechrisman]
    #13361703 - 10/20/10 01:25 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

nicechrisman said:
My ex girlfriend took abilify and smoked weed plenty, and never saw any problems from it. (well, she was crazy as hell, so maybe it would have been hard to tell)

:rofl2:  :thumbup:

peace and love
bloodworm

OfflineEgo
Male

#13361841 - 10/20/10 02:02 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

It's a Monoamine oxidase inhibitor. So it probably isn't good...but hell i know alot of people who smoke weed on anti depressants.. IMO drop that shit and take a hit.

Peace.

--------------------

First time taking 4 hits of acid:rocket: and all I can tell you is... "Art titties are the best!"

LSD=Digital version of shrooms.

DRUG HIT LIST: Alcohol  Cannabis  Mushrooms:mushroom2: LSA LSD:rocket:,
Methamphetamine amphetamine Molly:grin:  X
DXM DMT Nitrous Oxide Mescaline, Coke

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience