Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedr0384
Male

Loc: Australia
Calcium Carbonate
    #13334377 - 10/14/10 02:30 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I'm trying to find either calcium carbonate or lime but struggling. Gonna check if local pet shop has oyster shell tomorrow. Also grain store has some coming in and brewery store should also I hear but they weren't open today.

What % do I need.  Does it need to be 100% calcium carbonate? I keep finding a % of calcium carbonate in things but can't find a pure source. I asked the guy at the grain store what % but he couldn't tell me.

--------------------
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Be yourself whoever that is because
those who care don't matter
and those who matter wont care.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Calcium Carbonate [Re: dr0384]
    #13334638 - 10/14/10 06:32 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

You probably don't need it anyway. What are you doing with it?

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

OfflineWirenut
Captivity
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Gulf Coast Flag
Re: Calcium Carbonate [Re: Doc_T]
    #13334788 - 10/14/10 07:53 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

They give crushed oyster shells to chickens.. I'd go to a feed store.
Far as the lime, you don't want granulated lime or agricultural limestone (usually high magnesium content).. 
Go to a garden center and get HYDRATED lime... I can find the "Hi-Yield" Hydrated lime there (I like to pay cash)..

Far as calcium carbonate goes, you can find powdered calcium carbonate at a vitamin shop.. expensive though.

OfflineTheShroomanizer
Stranger-Danger

Loc: The Swamp
Re: Calcium Carbonate [Re: Wirenut]
    #13334913 - 10/14/10 08:43 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Be careful with the Hydrated lime, it can burn the hell out of you, or cause other problems if you breath in a powder cloud. People normaly use hydrated lime to cover oders, its not reccomended for neutralizing acidity. It just depends on how your using it.

--------------------
Trading Prints

-Nature gave us one tongue and two ears so we could listen twice as much as we speak-

OfflineWirenut
Captivity
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Calcium Carbonate [Re: TheShroomanizer]
    #13334968 - 10/14/10 09:06 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

TheShroomanizer said:
People normaly use hydrated lime to cover oders, its not reccomended for neutralizing acidity.

Would you be so kind as to site your reference, please?  This is the first I've heard of this.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #13335121 - 10/14/10 10:06 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

TheShroomanizer said:
Be careful with the Hydrated lime, it can burn the hell out of you, or cause other problems if you breath in a powder cloud. People normaly use hydrated lime to cover oders, its not reccomended for neutralizing acidity. It just depends on how your using it.

Nonsense.  Hydrated lime is the best product we have for increasing pH, should a grower need to do this.  Lime or calcium carbonate take much longer to break down in a casing layer, thus they don't go to work until it's nearly time to throw the project out anyway.  If one is making casing layers for some reason, hydrated lime is best.

Please do explain how hydrated lime can burn the hell out of you.  Obviously, one doesn't make a line on the mirror and snort it, but I've had it all over me many times with absolutely no burning or other bad effects.  In fact, I often make my own concrete with portland cement, hydrated lime, and gravel from my own property.  I've probably had my hands into a few thousand pounds of hydrated lime over the last two years.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineTheShroomanizer
Stranger-Danger

Re: Calcium Carbonate [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #13335216 - 10/14/10 10:38 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I work in a warehouse that handels High calcium Hydrated lime, and i also have had it all over me, i have also been around a busted bag that has made me go to the hospital from breathing inhaling it. This is a link to the MSDS sheet, which i am sure most of you are familiar with for Hydrated lime. http://www.lafargecorp.com/wps/wcm/resources/file/ebf881077aa3c85/Hydrated%20Lime%20MSDS%202011.pdf
I have experienced burns from Hydrated lime aswell. The reasoning may be i was working, thus sweating, none the less, handle with care.
It jsut so happens its a warehouse that is connected to a lawn and garden distribution facility for landscaping needs. We DO NOT reccomend hydrated lime for controlling pH levels in the ground.

--------------------
Trading Prints

-Nature gave us one tongue and two ears so we could listen twice as much as we speak-

Edited by TheShroomanizer (10/14/10 10:40 AM)

OfflineWirenut
Captivity
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #13335507 - 10/14/10 11:57 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I checked my lime bag, and sure enough, it does say it can be an eye and skin irritant...
However, I had a bag bust on me and it got ALL over me and everything else and never experienced any problems.
I appreciate you bringing this to the table, but I can recall no report of irritation from hydrated lime until now, and
it's been recommended here in this community for years... good info though..

InvisibleElMeroMeroS
Chestnuts are lazy
 User Gallery

Loc: My Happy Place
    #13335693 - 10/14/10 12:39 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

maybe your were thinking lye? :shrug:

--------------------
Code:
Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny. —Lao-Tze

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #13335700 - 10/14/10 12:42 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

It makes me itch. :shrug:

But I've only used a couple teaspoons total in my whole career.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

OfflineTheShroomanizer
Stranger-Danger

#13335751 - 10/14/10 12:54 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

in small amounts its basicaly harmless unless you are allergic, the main threat comes from inhaling it. You should be just fine. But as always when working with chemicals its a good idea to know what you are working with and always practice safe usage. Anyways GL and glad we could discuss this.

--------------------
Trading Prints

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Calcium Carbonate [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #13336052 - 10/14/10 02:00 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Obviously, the high pH of hydrated lime makes it something to avoid getting all over oneself, especially long-term.  However, it's what is best for buffering casing layer mixes up, so be careful and use it as we've been recommending around here for ages.  Obviously, since hydrated lime is water soluble, it's not what a landscaper would use to buffer acidic soil long-term.  It is however, what's best for a mushroom casing that has a total life measured in weeks, not years.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinedr0384
Male

Loc: Australia
    #13342428 - 10/15/10 11:50 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Wirenut said:

Far as the lime, you don't want granulated lime or agricultural limestone (usually high magnesium content).. 

Really? Man I've bought 3 different kinds of lime and they're all wrong. Just bought agricultural lime. FFS where do you get this shit?
I've been to pet stores looking for crushed oyster shells. I've been to nurserys and building and hardware places. i called a brewery and still nothing FFS I'm getting sick of all this running round.

I have just bought Agricultural ground limestone. (Calcium carbonate)
Typical analysis
NV 97.1%
ENV 72.0%
CaCO2 79.7%
MgCO3 13.1%
Grade 2.
How can this be all the percentages add up to 261.9% WTF???
Can I use this or not?

Quote:

Doc_T said:
You probably don't need it anyway. What are you doing with it?

I am making 50/50+ with it.

--------------------
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Be yourself whoever that is because
those who care don't matter
and those who matter wont care.

OfflineWirenut
Captivity
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Calcium Carbonate [Re: dr0384]
    #13342585 - 10/16/10 12:55 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Far as lime you gotta stick to a brand, I assume, if you're goin for 50/50.. they tell you exactly what you need... crushed oysters is what they feed chickens to get their eggs harder haha.. maybe you're better off in a feed store..

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates