Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineapplesmasher420
CGI and Visual Effects Artist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Kekistan
Re: The Official San Francisco Bay Area fall 2010 winter 2011 season [Re: FilamentousFungi]
    #13368545 - 10/21/10 08:41 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

FilamentousFungi said:
There's a lot of woodchips in seb, pet, and rp...I wonder if any will pop up there.

haha yeah ill keep my eyes open :laugh:

--------------------

Everything I post is CGI :shrug:                                                                  My Grow Logs!                 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: The Official San Francisco Bay Area fall 2010 winter 2011 season [Re: applesmasher420]
    #13368658 - 10/21/10 08:58 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

there's no reason why it wouldn't if they're the right type of chips, and in the Bay Area a lot of it is..

also, keep in mind this doesn't happen all at once, and doesn't fruit at the same time either...different patches can fruit months apart here, unlike the PNW

in some ways it's more difficult because you have to check wood chip areas more than once during a season, but the season also lasts longer here

we're right on the edge between rain forest and desert here, with lots of micro climates..It's good to have lots of patience around here....if it doesn't fruit this month, it might next month or even in December or January (more likely)

Basically a good rule of thumb is if you see any mushrooms anywhere near you, there is a possibility of cyans coming up in the right landscaping...p cyans can fruit the earliest and the latest, all the way through April, as long as there's no hard freeze. p cyanescens can handle anything any other mushroom can handle here, and then some, in terms of weather

this is a looong term thread, the beginning of the next four months, most likely

and...and .....we're getting some storms coming in here shortly.....right now the doppler shows more rain in Cali than the PNW

teehee

Quote:

applesmasher420 said:
Quote:

FilamentousFungi said:
There's a lot of woodchips in seb, pet, and rp...I wonder if any will pop up there.

haha yeah ill keep my eyes open :laugh:

Edited by auweia (10/21/10 09:08 PM)

Invisiblesui
I love you.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cali, Contra Costa Co. Flag
Re: The Official San Francisco Bay Area fall 2010 winter 2011 season [Re: auweia]
    #13369033 - 10/21/10 10:08 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

woot! i cant wait. i walked around a bunch today. i think i came across some stuntzii today.

--------------------

"There is never a wrong note, bend it."
Jimi Hendrix

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: The Official San Francisco Bay Area fall 2010 winter 2011 season [Re: sporeRider]
    #13369140 - 10/21/10 10:34 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks, for the kudos but there's a problem with comparison with ovoids from ohio. I have not been to ohio myself and cant compare it directly, but 3 people I know of so far have seen both specimens in action..actually two, because one of our OPs here has only seen dried/spores samples of both

psilicybe ovoidiocystidiata from ohio was only named maybe 10 years ago by Gaston Guzman, that in itself is a new species, much like the west coast variety, also newly discovered..but there are significant differences, and I only know of one of them

psilicybe ovoidiocystidiata is much like many northern hemisphere mushrooms, in that the entire fruiting cycle is about 2 weeks

this variety in san francisco has been documented numerous times at well over 1 month, twice as long, and now it's been duplicated in switzerland as proof, that it's not a matter of habitat, but that it's genetically encoded..Furthermore, the argument has been made that the San francisco variety does not get wavy/undulate as a result of habit and habitat, and that also now has been proven false

The san francisco variety remains plane regardless of habitat, anywhere in the world, regardless of habitat as long as it's the right wood chip food...this variety has also been more recently discovered on the west coast of America, Oregon and Washington,  and exhibits the exact same characteristics as this original San Francisco find from 2006

One of the main problems in documenting this through photos is 'when' because a lot of the photos from ohio turned out to be immature and when fully mature, do in fact get wavy/undulate in the caps >>> many species look quite similar during the first few days or weeks..In this case, it's weeks and nobody ever really went that far before because not many mushrooms can make it that long

but this one does

the san francisco variety never will and never has become undulate at full maturity, altho another sub species related to this also discovered in SF does (actually two more varieties as yet un-named-but related)..they will literally mature and rot in the same flat plane cap context ---and this has never changed with this certain variety now grown in Switzerland

when scientists name new species of mushrooms, they are looking for consistencies, distinct and separate from other varieties. A new species can qualify if it has enough (3)? different and document able characteristics separate from other known species/varieties and able to repeated it again and again

I have never been to Ohio so i can't compare directly but now there are people who have compared both Ohio and San Francisco, and even tho they look exactly alike at the beginning, during the first week

they are not alike..and they probably cannot mate..some varieties with certain other varieties, yes, but that likelihood is small naturally...they are RELATED, as seperate from the p cyanescens complex, yes, and more closely related to p baeocystis in the overall psilocybe family

that's my best guess so far with very limited knowledge,even tho I discovered one of the mother patches, that it's more closely related, historically, to p baeocystis, than to p cyanescens

it will take years more to confirm it..this rare species is a very, very slow process

Quote:

wiscokid said:
:wow::wow::awedance::bow2::congrats: Damn auweia - thats PHENOMINAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
those swiz fruits look sooooooo gorgeous - just drooling here:drooling:
AND i speak with total lack of picking either ovoids or subaerigs - but man those swiz fruits look LOTS like ovoid pics from ohio and the east coast:wow:
THose pics instantly screamed ovoid to me!!!!

VERY GLAD FOR YOU AND THE SWIZ:congrats:
itd be sweet seing these spread to EVERY inch of the globe:bow2:
Happy Fall :leafromp:

Edited by auweia (10/21/10 11:04 PM)

Offlineapplesmasher420
CGI and Visual Effects Artist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Kekistan
Re: The Official San Francisco Bay Area fall 2010 winter 2011 season [Re: sui]
    #13369161 - 10/21/10 10:39 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

i walked around quite a bit myself found a bunch of mushrooms but nothing active -_- theirs a ton of woodchips everywhere here in rp but for some reason ive only been finding mushrooms in grass. oh well as i said they will come soon :]

here are my finds if anyones interested :p
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/13363318

--------------------

Everything I post is CGI :shrug:                                                                  My Grow Logs!                 

OfflineJoeisthevolcano
Myconaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle, Wa, USA Flag
Re: The Official San Francisco Bay Area fall 2010 winter 2011 season [Re: applesmasher420]
    #13369211 - 10/21/10 10:50 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Hey auweia! nice job  spreading the info on these ruggs. its great to hear that they're fruiting AGAIN in Switzerland. i think you should know that me and BrokeOpenHead have gotten them to fruit again up in WA. this happened about a month and a half ago. and the beast part is that they're fruiting in Broke's backyard where he threw all the stem butts from the ones this last spring!! he has no internet right now, and we never got pics, but i did witness 3 small ruggs growing in his yard right by his bedroom window(where he tossed them). we've been waiting ever since to see if more will show up. with the season starting i hope we can get some pics to show you and everyone at this form. ill be sure to keep you updated!

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: The Official San Francisco Bay Area fall 2010 winter 2011 season [Re: Joeisthevolcano]
    #13369248 - 10/21/10 10:59 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

excellent!!

with something rare like this, there cannot be too much documentation..It's been around for just over 10 years now and nearly everybody so far --- it's been an accident instead of an intention

you know what I mean?...hehe

It's hard with some of these new species, I'm, telling ya

:eek:

Quote:

Joeisthevolcano said:
Hey auweia! nice job  spreading the info on these ruggs. its great to hear that they're fruiting AGAIN in Switzerland. i think you should know that me and BrokeOpenHead have gotten them to fruit again up in WA. this happened about a month and a half ago. and the beast part is that they're fruiting in Broke's backyard where he threw all the stem butts from the ones this last spring!! he has no internet right now, and we never got pics, but i did witness 3 small ruggs growing in his yard right by his bedroom window(where he tossed them). we've been waiting ever since to see if more will show up. with the season starting i hope we can get some pics to show you and everyone at this form. ill be sure to keep you updated!

Edited by auweia (10/21/10 11:01 PM)

Offlinecbub
it
 User Gallery

Re: The Official San Francisco Bay Area fall 2010 winter 2011 season [Re: auweia]
    #13369777 - 10/22/10 02:31 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

they look a lot like p. arcana in the swiss patch. beautiful.

--------------------
It's fine.

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: The Official San Francisco Bay Area fall 2010 winter 2011 season [Re: cbub]
    #13370742 - 10/22/10 10:46 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

oops...correction, the friend in Switzerland has not yet fruited the west virginia variety...he was going from photos of other people...he does have a patch going but it hasn't fruited yet..But I do know that the SF variety has black pins and the west virginia ones don't. Somebody suggested the black pins here in SF is because of habitat..nope, they're black in Switzerland too

but yes, if it does happen I hope to get some good comparison photos for the first time...Never heard of anybody able to get them both going at the same time or area for a good comparison yet

I'll make another thread if something comes through

and......inches of rain this weekend!.weeeeeeee

Edited by auweia (10/22/10 11:41 AM)

OfflineCowboyKirk35
-113 Found-
Male User Gallery

Loc: CA, USA Flag
    #13371152 - 10/22/10 12:11 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

RAIN!!!! WOOOT!!!!

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: The Official San Francisco Bay Area fall 2010 winter 2011 season [Re: CowboyKirk35]
    #13372582 - 10/22/10 05:33 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

day around the bay

InvisiblesporeRider
Proud sporeRider :)
 User Gallery
Loc: usa Flag
    #13372621 - 10/22/10 05:41 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

:drooling::drooling::bow2: OMG - Just beauties bro!!!!
- are those first ones cyanofricosa's >??????

Happy :mushroom2: Season  Auweia:headbanger:

--------------------
http://

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: The Official San Francisco Bay Area fall 2010 winter 2011 season [Re: sporeRider]
    #13372695 - 10/22/10 05:53 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

yep, first 4 photos are all p cyanofriscosa...should be more next week in the same spots:mushroom2:

InvisiblesporeRider
Proud sporeRider :)
 User Gallery
Loc: usa Flag
    #13372756 - 10/22/10 06:04 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

:super::cool: THose chubby caps look soooooooooo pretty:heart:
Kinda nutz how at first quick glance they look like galerina's - minus the bruising:shocked:
But seeing the blue stalks and staining - OOOOOOOHHHHHHH the beauty:super:

Badass finds and photos as ALWAYS!!!:cheers:

--------------------
http://

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

#13372829 - 10/22/10 06:20 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

actually here's a bonus from today in the same woodchippy area...I forgot the name but I don't think it's galerina, but it could very well make you sick

this is NOT ACTIVE...Not a cyan

brown stem, brown spores, no bruising

Quote:

wiscokid said:
:super::cool: THose chubby caps look soooooooooo pretty:heart:
Kinda nutz how at first quick glance they look like galerina's - minus the bruising:shocked:
But seeing the blue stalks and staining - OOOOOOOHHHHHHH the beauty:super:

Badass finds and photos as ALWAYS!!!:cheers:

OfflineMs. BetetheLeo
Stranger
Female User Gallery
Loc: East bay California
    #13373110 - 10/22/10 07:13 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

That is so awesome! Looks like if it's not raining too much. Ima have to have an adventure around the bay. 

Offlinebukujutsu
Male
Loc: Texas
Re: The Official San Francisco Bay Area fall 2010 winter 2011 season [Re: Ms. BetetheLeo]
    #13373500 - 10/22/10 08:32 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

On my way to the library I decided to walk across the islands in the middle of the street. Looks like season has really kicked off with this rain:

I will ask for help identifying them in another thread. Looks like the one's in the top right are all horse mushrooms and the one in the top left is a giant one, no strong yellowing reaction from any of them, I left the ones I wasn't sure about. A lot of them were stepped on or knocked over. Lousy noobs, pick 'em don't kick 'em.

Anyone recognize any just from sight? It'll take a while to organize my photos and identify them. The red one has a slimy cap, adnexed gills, no volva or annulus, cap 6cm across, stem 4cm; the small yellow ones have smooth caps, free gills, cap 3/12 cm across, stem 5 cm.

OfflineMs. BetetheLeo
Stranger
Female User Gallery
Re: The Official San Francisco Bay Area fall 2010 winter 2011 season [Re: bukujutsu]
    #13373804 - 10/22/10 09:42 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

As any one been up to Wildcat canyon and found any cyan?

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: The Official San Francisco Bay Area fall 2010 winter 2011 season [Re: Ms. BetetheLeo]
    #13373831 - 10/22/10 09:48 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Ms. BetetheLeo said:
As any one been up to Wildcat canyon and found any cyan?

yeah I've been there many times mountain biking, but no cyans there..You're looking in the wrong place..cyans don't grow out there in the wilderness areas, they grow down below in the populated areas, where lots of people live

if you're looking for cyans, your hunting in an URBAN habitat, not out there in the wilderness parks..you'll find cyans in the city, the suburbs..you will NOT find them on top of Mt Diablo or Briones wilderness area, nearby, for example..you will not find cyans in any of those regional Bay Area wilderness parks unless somebody, like the park rangers (or tree trimming contactors) laid down a bunch of wood chips in the park, which does happen, sometimes

I do admit tho, that I've seen numerous illegal wood chip dumps on the side of the road near to Wildcat Canyon up on Skyline in Berkeley...I've actually talked to quite a few city workers about this little 'problem' and and explained to them what will happen after so many years..word has gotten around that these illegal wood chip dumps actually end up being a fire suppressant, rather than a fire hazard, when it gets colonized with mushrooms, such as p cyanescens

at this late date, many city workers do now recognize the importance of this, from Oakland, Berkeley, Albany, Kensington, piedmont, Oakland Hills,, Montclair, east Richmond hills, and it goes on and on  ---- in the east bay

so these days, in 2010, it's not quite so important anymore to remove all of those pile of wood chips left behind by contractors of years past'

nope, these days many of them now know quite well that it's all organic, and fixes and adjusts itself quite nicely if left alone

but i wouldn't go looking there...oh by the way..you ARE likely to find some chanterelles out there, but not cyans, unless....unless one of those wood chip piles happened to 'accidentally got colonized be a certain species'

it's not impossible for that to happen...hehe

Edited by auweia (10/22/10 10:32 PM)

OfflineMs. BetetheLeo
Stranger
Female User Gallery
    #13373926 - 10/22/10 10:12 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for letting me know that. I just figured with the plant matter you would get some growth.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom