Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | Next > | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: The Official San Francisco Bay Area fall 2010 winter 2011 season [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #13574727 - 12/02/10 06:17 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I have seen cyans crack many times...but some of the problem with these is that there a bit of a combo going on with franciscans and cyans in a couple of places

also, you notice how one of the franciscan patches has the 'lepiota' look, like scaly action on the top of the cap?

I think something very similar was posted in another thread from san mateo a couple days ago...from what I can tell that's another strain or type of p franciscans, more rounded than usual and the scaly action on the top of the cap is just another type of drying due to dry weather

in more than  a few places in these marin patches, it gets to the point where it's hard to tell if it's cyans or franciscans, because some of the franciscans start getting wavy, but these photos aren't quite there yet

I hope as the patches expand in the future it gets more clear, or unclear how close they

overall tho, I would say that p franciscans generally do crack more than cyans under dry air..they have a slightly different texture

also, if anybody wants, I can load select photos from this set in original res....don't have a ton of space here tho

edit>.>  I found the thread posted by lanlord

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/13548121/page/3

compare those photos with some of these from marin...they look almost exactly alike, yes?

it's possible they could be a new species, but I'm pretty sure they are very close to p franciscans, which itself is about to get named, I guess...But at least this set shows a wider variety and more in context

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
Nice pictures.

I noticed that some of the P. franciscans caps are cracking when they get dry, and I do not see cyanescens do that.  Do you think that is a consistent difference?  Have you seen the cap on cyanescens crack when it dries out?

Edited by auweia (12/02/10 06:24 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLanLord
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: San Mateo, Ca. USA
Re: The Official San Francisco Bay Area fall 2010 winter 2011 season [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #13574921 - 12/02/10 07:03 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
Nice pictures.

I noticed that some of the P. franciscans caps are cracking when they get dry, and I do not see cyanescens do that.  Do you think that is a consistent difference?  Have you seen the cap on cyanescens crack when it dries out?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I never see cyans crack like that.  They fade from caramel to cream coloured, but I never see any of them with that surface cracking.

--------------------
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: The Official San Francisco Bay Area fall 2010 winter 2011 season [Re: LanLord]
    #13575139 - 12/02/10 07:55 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

well, I have...here's one from today

the middle photo is cyanescens, or is it?

see that's the problem...I recognize full well that p franciscans are consistently different, but there are exceptions, and this patch in marin, made up of a series of patches all over a private housing complex is one of those exceptions

Yes, p franciscans do normally have a different texture than normal cyans, but I've seen more than a few places where it gets diabolically hard to tell the difference

That's how I know they are related.....No it doesn't happen all the time, and for most practical purposes they probably can be separated into a new species, but there will forever be this tiny little problem on the sidelines

I mean, even Alan and Werner will tell you that with spores, cyans and azures and franciscans can't really be distinguished

you start digging deeper and there certainly are differences, and there certainly are with cyans and friscosa/franciscans, obviously

but not always in every single patch..but either way, I know they're all good, and it doesn't bother me anymore...For the microscope people, knock yourself out

I'm a hunter, and the ONLY important thing for me is to be able to identify it in the wild as being good or bad..That might seem simplistic, but that's what it comes down to

this ID problem with cyans in franciscans is lightweight when compared with the other new species, not even in the same family or group, p oviodeocystidiata /subaerugniescens or whatever.

because that other group is even further to the left and darn near approaches more dangerous types, in color and feel..

people can quibble about cyans/friscsas all day long, but i do feel it's much more important to document all possibilities that hunters might encounter in the wild

because in the end, the only important thing for hunters is to make sure your finding something good, and not something that will make you sick or worse

Edited by auweia (12/02/10 08:11 PM)

Offlinenever_2_high
Stoner
 User Gallery

Re: The Official San Francisco Bay Area fall 2010 winter 2011 season [Re: auweia]
    #13575607 - 12/02/10 11:05 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Today when I was in Prunedale Ca I found some Red Hypholomas, I was wondering if it would be possibe to introduce Cyans to the area? Do you guys think they will be able to fruit out their? The Hypholomas seem to fruit just fine.

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: The Official San Francisco Bay Area fall 2010 winter 2011 season [Re: never_2_high]
    #13575767 - 12/02/10 11:42 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

if red hypholomas can make there, than so can cyans

cyans can take ANYthing that hypholomas can take and then some

Quote:

never_2_high said:
Today when I was in Prunedale Ca I found some Red Hypholomas, I was wondering if it would be possibe to introduce Cyans to the area? Do you guys think they will be able to fruit out their? The Hypholomas seem to fruit just fine.

Edited by auweia (12/02/10 11:45 PM)

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: The Official San Francisco Bay Area fall 2010 winter 2011 season [Re: auweia]
    #13576035 - 12/03/10 12:54 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

np

jj cale  -  roll on

my old friend

OfflineLanLord
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#13578393 - 12/03/10 05:59 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

From another thread:

Out taking a walk today, stopped by to look around in an area where there were a bunch of Hypholoma fasicular last year about this time (for no other reason that they are cool looking).  There were hundreds of them, about 30 or 40 gregarious clumps of them all in an area about 6 feet by 8 feet. 

So I turn around, and just scan the area for more, and what to my eyes delight do I see?  Literally thousands of Psilocybe cyanecens in clumps and groups spread out in an area about 15 feet by 10 feet.  This thing was alkaloid rich!  I filled a lunch bag full and didn't even put a dent in the patch.

Here are a couple images:

Here are a couple of the caps I brought home to "study".

I hope this part works, I've never uploaded images to the shroomery before.

These things are much more robust and numerous than the cyans I find in the iceplant making me wonder if perhaps iceplant doesn't supply enough of the essential nutrients to produce large fruits and large fruitings.

--------------------

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: The Official San Francisco Bay Area fall 2010 winter 2011 season [Re: LanLord]
    #13579528 - 12/03/10 10:10 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Lanlord, that's correct I think..iceplant isn't really the best for cyans unless there's some chips involved...I've seen lots of other tiny little fragiles in iceplant before, but nothing really in the way of hypholomas or cyans over the years

and congrats on your new habitat....it really is like that, anything hypholoma related is something to watch for and always makes me slow down while patrolling on the bike, because anywhere there is hypholoma in woodchips (or anywhere for that matter), so can cyans also grow...it's a great indicator species and is much easier to see than cyans most of the time, especially the larger yellow ones and the red ones stick out like a sore thumb

it's not just habitat, but also habit, it's almost identical to cyans altho the hypholomas greatly outnumber cyans...but it's still a great indicator of fertile environments

also, the MSSF fungus fair is this weekend in Berkeley, official website

http://www.mssf.org/fungus-fairs/index.html

also, Lanlord, since you mentioned that you looked in this area last year, is it true that the cyans appeared for the first time this year in that exact same place?

Because I've noticed that  many times, which is why we hunters still have to keeping hunting over the same areas again and again...I've learned over the years not to discount anything anymore just because there isn't cyans in that spot in one year

you could have had spores on your clothes in one year that will show up 2 years later...and there is no way to know unless you keep hunting

also, I have no idea why, but that last set of photos I posted here in this thread from Photobucket nearly crashed it..10gb worth of viewing in 24 hours, wtf?...They actually sent me a notice about it..LOL...and nearly all from the Shroomery

may have to find an alternate free photo hosting soon

Edited by auweia (12/03/10 10:22 PM)

InvisibleBaldCuban
scruffy-looking
 User Gallery

Loc: here, there, everywhere
    #13579809 - 12/03/10 11:47 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for the link, auweia.  For some reason I was having a hard time finding the schedule of events for the MSSF fair. 

Found a couple friscies (new name ha!) today while riding around.  This year I have seen more pickers than mushrooms, since I live in such close proximity to GGP.  I plan on venturing out of that area soon.

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: The Official San Francisco Bay Area fall 2010 winter 2011 season [Re: BaldCuban]
    #13579868 - 12/04/10 12:11 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

yep...competition is always fierce in GGP

glad to know nothing has changed in 20 years..LOL..sheesh

hint  >>> you'll never find your motherload patch until you move out of that park

Quote:

BaldCuban said:
Thanks for the link, auweia.  For some reason I was having a hard time finding the schedule of events for the MSSF fair. 

Found a couple friscies (new name ha!) today while riding around.  This year I have seen more pickers than mushrooms, since I live in such close proximity to GGP.  I plan on venturing out of that area soon.

Edited by auweia (12/04/10 12:30 AM)

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: The Official San Francisco Bay Area fall 2010 winter 2011 season [Re: BaldCuban]
    #13580208 - 12/04/10 02:36 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

BaldCuban said:

http://www.mssf.org/fungus-fairs/ffschedule10.html

I will be at the psychoactive mushrooms table.

OfflineOreganic
Connoisseur of Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Orygun
    #13580222 - 12/04/10 02:44 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
Nice pictures.

I noticed that some of the P. franciscans caps are cracking when they get dry

Yeah.. they look way more psathyrella-ish to me...

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
and I do not see cyanescens do that.

Nope. I mean, at least none of my 4 dried ounces. In even the most mature of caps I wouldn't see the type of breaking you see in these specimens that auweia has.

Quote:

auweia said:
I have seen cyans crack many times...but some of the problem with these is that there a bit of a combo going on with franciscans and cyans in a couple of places

also, you notice how one of the franciscan patches has the 'lepiota' look, like scaly action on the top of the cap?

I think something very similar was posted in another thread from san mateo a couple days ago...from what I can tell that's another strain or type of p franciscans, more rounded than usual and the scaly action on the top of the cap is just another type of drying due to dry weather

in more than  a few places in these marin patches, it gets to the point where it's hard to tell if it's cyans or franciscans, because some of the franciscans start getting wavy, but these photos aren't quite there yet

Yeah, it's been getting confusing to some extent as I have followed these bay area threads. But one thing this last season taught me was certainly how to eye a cyan from a mile away. So while some of your finds certainly confuse me it seems clear which ones are the cyans and which ones are the "others" be it fransiscans or whatever else they may be. It seems it will take quite a bit of work to figure out how far apart these strains are and how many crosses there might be? :shrug: Just thought I'd chime in... this is intriguing stuff! :popcorn:

--------------------

Edited by Oreganic (12/04/10 03:03 AM)

OfflineOreganic
Connoisseur of Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Orygun
    #13580258 - 12/04/10 03:06 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
Quote:

BaldCuban said:

http://www.mssf.org/fungus-fairs/ffschedule10.html

I will be at the psychoactive mushrooms table.

Like a baller. :macdre:

--------------------

OfflineLanLord
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#13580706 - 12/04/10 07:54 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

auweia said:

also, Lanlord, since you mentioned that you looked in this area last year, is it true that the cyans appeared for the first time this year in that exact same place?

Because I've noticed that  many times, which is why we hunters still have to keeping hunting over the same areas again and again...I've learned over the years not to discount anything anymore just because there isn't cyans in that spot in one year

you could have had spores on your clothes in one year that will show up 2 years later...and there is no way to know unless you keep hunting

also, I have no idea why, but that last set of photos I posted here in this thread from Photobucket nearly crashed it..10gb worth of viewing in 24 hours, wtf?...They actually sent me a notice about it..LOL...and nearly all from the Shroomery

may have to find an alternate free photo hosting soon

I'm not absolutely certain that there were no cyans there last year, but I didn't notice any.  To be honest, these little buggars blend in with the background chips so well that even when I looked down at them, it took more than a few seconds to realize that they were mushrooms.  I easily could have passed them right by last year.

It does make me realize that hunting requires all senses, sometimes it less eyes and more gut feel.  Sorta like you said with the indicator species, once you know the place is right, get down and get looking.

--------------------

OfflineFleshTemple
Teononcatl
Male User Gallery

Loc: Santa Cruz Mountains
    #13580929 - 12/04/10 09:34 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Lanlord, nice find.  It seems to happen that way.  A few years ago a friend of mine was doing a large electrical job for a big-wig CEO in the peninsula area, and stumbled upon a 20'x20' patch of perfectly ripe cyanescense.  He calls me almost frantic; "you won't believe what I just found". 

This year has been spotty so far, but the season is about to really kick off, again.  It was a cool, moist summer, and I think the mycellium has been teased repeatedly; sexual frustration.  I believe that it's about to bust a huge mushroom nut, it just needs to find a nice wet spot in the season to get there. 

One thing that I noticed this summer on my occasional drive to and from work via Skyline/35 north.  The Palo-Alto, Woodside/Sunnyvale area stayed heavily fogged in for a good portion of the summer, and I'd be willing to bet that that area is a relatively untapped area.  I keep hearing of big finds out there.  I'll certainly be on the hunt by mid next week.  I'd be grateful to head out with some companions.

--------------------
"How many licks does it take to get to the center of the universe?"

OfflineShrink
The Curious
 User Gallery

Loc: bay area
Re: The Official San Francisco Bay Area fall 2010 winter 2011 season [Re: FleshTemple]
    #13582813 - 12/04/10 06:20 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Walked from UC Berkeley to El Cerrito yesterday, hit all the parks and as many residential areas I could along the way. Walked for 6 hours, didn't find anything but hypholomas and coprinoids. Not as many woodchipped areas as I had hoped for, but I thought that a few red hypholomas might mean good news. Better luck next time I hope.

--------------------

OfflineRmor1551
Stranger
Re: The Official San Francisco Bay Area fall 2010 winter 2011 season [Re: Shrink]
    #13583050 - 12/04/10 07:18 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Went to the MSSF fair today. Pretty cool and very informative. Stopped at the Botanical Gardens on my way there (If only I had known that the admission fee for the fair included the admission to the Botanical Garden, I would've saved $9). I walked around the garden for a couple hours and did find a small patch of cyans. Probably 3 dozen or so of which 2 dozen were still too young to be picked. Nevertheless I was pleasantly surprised I even found those. I would have guessed that the garden was pretty well scoured especially considering the patch I found was right alongside a trail. Didn't even have to step off the trail hardly. At the fair I saw a presentation on fungi put on by (I believe) the president of the MSSF. That was cool. Also saw Alan Rockefeller there at the psychoactive table. I was hoping to see an example of some fresh Ovoids (not sure on the spelling) since I've never seen them in person but the ones he had were pretty dried out. Anyway I did drop off a small cluster of fresh cyans for him to use in his display. I'm really glad I went overall and the Lawrence Hall of Science is a cool place to visit anyway. If any of you get the chance, you should go tomorrow...

Nice to meet you Alan and good luck with the rest of the fair...

Offlineapplesmasher420
CGI and Visual Effects Artist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Kekistan
Re: The Official San Francisco Bay Area fall 2010 winter 2011 season [Re: Rmor1551]
    #13583242 - 12/04/10 08:09 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

BaldCuban said:

This year I have seen more pickers than mushrooms

Quote:

Rmor1551 said:
Went to the MSSF fair today. Pretty cool and very informative. Stopped at the Botanical Gardens on my way there (If only I had known that the admission fee for the fair included the admission to the Botanical Garden, I would've saved $9). I walked around the garden for a couple hours and did find a small patch of cyans. Probably 3 dozen or so of which 2 dozen were still too young to be picked. Nevertheless I was pleasantly surprised I even found those. I would have guessed that the garden was pretty well scoured especially considering the patch I found was right alongside a trail. Didn't even have to step off the trail hardly. At the fair I saw a presentation on fungi put on by (I believe) the president of the MSSF. That was cool. Also saw Alan Rockefeller there at the psychoactive table. I was hoping to see an example of some fresh Ovoids (not sure on the spelling) since I've never seen them in person but the ones he had were pretty dried out. Anyway I did drop off a small cluster of fresh cyans for him to use in his display. I'm really glad I went overall and the Lawrence Hall of Science is a cool place to visit anyway. If any of you get the chance, you should go tomorrow...

wtf?!?!? i so wish i knew about the fair i would have been their no doubt. in my 17 years of living in rohnert park not once have i ever seen/talked to/ herd about anyone that knows anything about mushrooms In rohnert park but then again ive only been studying mycology for 3 years lol luckily i live next to santa rosa where there are plenty of hunters ^_^

--------------------

Everything I post is CGI :shrug:                                                                  My Grow Logs!                 

OfflineHumboldt_Hunter
mushaboom
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Humboldt county Flag
Re: The Official San Francisco Bay Area fall 2010 winter 2011 season [Re: Rmor1551]
    #13583260 - 12/04/10 08:13 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Found my first patch of fransiscans today. :smile:

Habitat:

And a new patch of p. cyans

More grass cyans

A lone grass fransiscan

A pair of grass fransiscans

These patches are located within 100 ft of each other.

4 different ones found so far.

This was a portion of what i saw today. didn't want to overload this thread with too many pics..

There is still a long way until this season is over.

:grin:

--------------------
Temperate Rainforest Forager
:aum:

OfflineRmor1551
Stranger
Re: The Official San Francisco Bay Area fall 2010 winter 2011 season [Re: applesmasher420]
    #13583626 - 12/04/10 09:43 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

applesmasher420 said:
Quote:

BaldCuban said:

This year I have seen more pickers than mushrooms

Quote:

Rmor1551 said:

wtf?!?!? i so wish i knew about the fair i would have been their no doubt. in my 17 years of living in rohnert park not once have i ever seen/talked to/ herd about anyone that knows anything about mushrooms In rohnert park but then again ive only been studying mycology for 3 years lol luckily i live next to santa rosa where there are plenty of hunters ^_^

The fair's going on tomorrow too. Same hours 10-5 if I'm not mistaken...

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | Next > | Last >

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags