Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDeliciousVinyl
Male

John Coltrane, Psychedelics and Spirituality/The Path to Enlightenment
    #12721311 - 06/10/10 03:39 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

So I recently ran into an article discussing John Coltrane's contribution to psychedelia and how many of his albums when listened to under the influence
of psychedelics( or even just an open mind) may allow the tripper to experience a sort of
spiritually and emotionally expressive journey.

The Article

I found this very interesting due to my own experiences listening to "A Love Supreme" on mushrooms and what I experienced.
His music, especially the albums made after '64 are absolutely in my opinion tools for spiritual development. Many people describe his sound
as God speaking through the mind of John Coltrane.

Not to say many many other artists attempts are not successful in creating music like this but Coltrane is especially talented in this.

My purpose of making this thread is for people to discuss music and spirituality.

Experiences listening to John Coltrane on psychedelics or dead sober.

Any discussion involving certain compositions that can be spiritually involving i.e. classical music or even rock and roll albums.

"I have been so moved by this record. I have heard it already 3 or 4 times, and played it for
musicians who are with me now. It's beautiful, especially the climax in the third movement, then
the resolution of the whole last piece. Reading the sleeve notes i was so surprised by his total
surrendering and believing and his love for God. I thank you so much for sending me this."
Ravi Shankar on "A Love Supreme"

Hope this will get some interesting discussion going.
:hippie:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleQballs
Vibes Connoisseur

Loc: Dick Lentils
Re: John Coltrane, Psychedelics and Spirituality/The Path to Enlightenment [Re: DeliciousVinyl]
    #12721424 - 06/10/10 03:59 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

This should be an interesting thread. When I'm listening to really amazing music it feels like the notes are part of a language, and the music itself, not the lyrics are telling me something. Not in linguistic terms, but certain states of mind are being communicated. The subjectivity of music is something I wonder about alot, can someone else get this feeling from music that I think is rubbish? How music effects people is fascinating to me. I'll have to check out that album later.

Krautrock bands have been blowing me away recently, especially Can, Faust, and Amon Duul II.

--------------------

More than treasures found, its just been knowing you.

Offlinehalo
Tripper
Male

Re: John Coltrane, Psychedelics and Spirituality/The Path to Enlightenment [Re: DeliciousVinyl]
    #12721441 - 06/10/10 04:02 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I like Coltrane a lot although I have not listened to a love supreme yet while tripping.

I have listened to Live in Seattle while tripping and thoroughly loved it.

Another spiritual musician in the likes of Coltrane I would say is Carlos Santana. His album Oneness:Silver Dreams Golden Reality really blasted my skull open while I was tripping. It just makes everything awesome.

Thanks for this thread I can't wait to listen to A Love Supreme next time I trip.

--------------------
All drugs should be legal

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
    #12721528 - 06/10/10 04:19 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Eternal Caravan of Reincarnation by Santana--not for the average listener.  I made my Spanish class listen to it when it came out, 1972.  It still moves me.

--------------------

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Loc: Flag
    #12721643 - 06/10/10 04:38 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

What can you say in face of such ideals, but that he continues to play with such an awareness of pain and suffering?

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #12721646 - 06/10/10 04:38 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I don't much care for it. I much prefer the Doors, Hendrix, Zepplin. I did like Santana however.:thumbup:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineDeliciousVinyl
Male

Re: John Coltrane, Psychedelics and Spirituality/The Path to Enlightenment [Re: Qballs]
    #12722121 - 06/10/10 06:18 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Qballs said:
This should be an interesting thread. When I'm listening to really amazing music it feels like the notes are part of a language, and the music itself, not the lyrics are telling me somethinG. Not in linguistic terms, but certain states of mind are being communicated. The subjectivity of music is something I wonder about alot, can someone else get this feeling from music that I think is rubbish? How music effects people is fascinating to me. I'll have to check out that album later.

Krautrock bands have been blowing me away recently, especially Can, Faust, and Amon Duul II.

Nearly everything that I have listened to under the influence has taken on much more significance that can really only be understood by someone in that mindstate.

The particular feeling/understanding may or may not be universal, but music has the extraordinary power to guide your mind while tripping.

It can take you to the gates of heaven or the depths of hell.  It can leave you floating in eternal timeless bliss or blasting across the universe.

When I listened to "A Love Supreme" on mushrooms, and mind you it was already one of my favorite jazz albums, everything that I loved about the album exploded in my face.

I for the most part was completely ignorant to it's power.  Every note, every single sound produced on the album had purpose and meaning.

My thoughts were reigned in by the beautiful cacophony of the parts which before hand seemed chaotic and confused. Now they were far from it.

When they start the chant a love supreme, a love supreme, a love supreme i was in absolute shock at the beauty of this arrangement. Only a few other experiences even come close.

Thanks for the song posts guys i really dig them. Pleasantly surprised by the krautrock, not sure what i expected to hear but it's some crazy stuff.

Also i was stoned when i made this and i realize this may be better off in the spirituality and mysticism forum, so if any mod wants to move it feel free.

InvisibleDr. Zaius

Loc: Funky Town
Re: John Coltrane, Psychedelics and Spirituality/The Path to Enlightenment [Re: Icelander]
    #12722250 - 06/10/10 06:39 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
I did like Santana however.:thumbup:

Did?

Santana is touring this summer. Santana and the Allman Brothers are probably the two bands I have seem live the most times.

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: John Coltrane, Psychedelics and Spirituality/The Path to Enlightenment [Re: Dr. Zaius]
    #12722387 - 06/10/10 07:00 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Sweet!  Good word.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: John Coltrane, Psychedelics and Spirituality/The Path to Enlightenment [Re: Dr. Zaius]
    #12722431 - 06/10/10 07:07 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Dr. Zaius said:
Quote:

Icelander said:
I did like Santana however.:thumbup:

Did?

Santana is touring this summer. Santana and the Allman Brothers are probably the two bands I have seem live the most times.

Yeah imo he's a pompous has been now. Yet back in the day he was awesome. Especially the very first album.

--------------------

InvisibleDr. Zaius

Loc: Funky Town
Re: John Coltrane, Psychedelics and Spirituality/The Path to Enlightenment [Re: Icelander]
    #12722464 - 06/10/10 07:15 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I haven't seen them since about 1985.

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

#12722545 - 06/10/10 07:31 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

First band I ever saw, 1971 at Kent State U.  About 18 months after the shooting.  I like the earlier stuff but I figure that's because I'm old.

:oldman:

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: John Coltrane, Psychedelics and Spirituality/The Path to Enlightenment [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #12722572 - 06/10/10 07:37 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Trouble is if they don't die of a drug overdose at 27 or so they don't know when to quit.:lol:

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

#12723195 - 06/10/10 09:18 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I know, man.  I saw the Who during halftime and was sickened.  It's just sad.  :sad:

"Hey look, Grandpa is 92 and can still wail."  I'm not into that.  I don't think many people are.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: John Coltrane, Psychedelics and Spirituality/The Path to Enlightenment [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #12723337 - 06/10/10 09:40 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Jimmy Janis and Jim will forever be young cool rock gods.

--------------------

OfflineGrapefruit
Freak in the forest
 User Gallery

#12728343 - 06/11/10 08:18 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Aphex twin is my usual haunt for psychedelic music. Always wondered if you older shroomers listented to any electronica?

--------------------
Little left in the way of energy; or the way of love, yet happy to entertain myself playing mental games with the rest of you freaks until the rivers run backwards. 

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: John Coltrane, Psychedelics and Spirituality/The Path to Enlightenment [Re: Grapefruit]
    #12728559 - 06/11/10 09:04 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I listen to a lot of things.  I ran across a Depeche Mode Cd I am selling tomorrow.  And I love Shpongle.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#12728602 - 06/11/10 09:15 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

And I love Shpongle.

:thumbup:

Bluetech

Enthenogenic

Boards of Canada

Porcupine Tree

Mogwai

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

#12728627 - 06/11/10 09:21 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I'll have to check 'em out.  Thanks.

Gives me chills, every time.

--------------------

Offlinejw2234
Astral Traveler
Male

Loc: Bay Area Flag
Re: John Coltrane, Psychedelics and Spirituality/The Path to Enlightenment *DELETED* [Re: Icelander]
    #12731337 - 06/12/10 01:17 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by jw2234

Reason for deletion: /

--------------------

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

there is nothing to fear with this chemical besides astonishing realization that everything IS indeed 1 entity

Questions

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder