Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineManianFH
living in perverty
 User Gallery

need help with soldering * 1
    #12604477 - 05/21/10 02:24 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

If anyone has experience with this, I am trying to make a midi cable with the 7 pin connectors. I have the wire and connectors but keep fucking up the soldering job, the wires won't stick. I try to solder wire #2, and #1 will come right back out, etc...

What's a good method for soldering wires into such a small piece of equipment?

--------------------
notapillow said: "you are going about this endeavor all wrong. clear your mind of useless fear and concern. buy the ticket, take the ride, and all that.... "

ChrisWho said: "It's all about the journey, not the destination."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDr. Siekadellyk
Look at the corruption!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Floating amidst nothing Flag
Re: need help with soldering [Re: ManianFH]
    #12604505 - 05/21/10 02:29 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Very carefully,,, small wires seems to take longer than pipes n stuff cuz their so tiny (at least for me)...
Are you using an iron or a torch?

are you asking for better tips cuz you know how to solder a little or are you asking how to do it?

--------------------
-My ISO list-

-My trade list-

Offlineckbhack
Stranger than you...
 User Gallery

Re: need help with soldering [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #12604519 - 05/21/10 02:31 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

what are you using for an iron and what are you using for solder and flux?

Offlinekungpow
SeasonedPsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: AaAaAaAa
Re: need help with soldering [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk] * 1
    #12604541 - 05/21/10 02:34 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Here are some tips. FIrst you need to make sure that you tin both the wire and the connector you are connecting it to. YOu can do this by heating up the wire or the connector and putting a bit of solder on them.

Then all you have to do is heat the connector up a bit then push the pre-tinned wire into the connector and you should be set. You should be able to break the wire before the solder joint comes loose.

If you are still having problems get an electronic cleaner or 99% IPA and clean the connector good and start with fresh wire.

Part of the problem might be you have a cheap soldering iron. The ones you get from wally world suck balls. But you can usually get by with one. I just wouldn't want to be using one all the time cause they just plain suck.

Hope that helps

Peace

--------------------
Monotub #3 - check out my best grow to date!!!!

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #12605924 - 05/21/10 06:55 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

mick said:
If anyone has experience with this, I am trying to make a midi cable with the 7 pin connectors. I have the wire and connectors but keep fucking up the soldering job, the wires won't stick. I try to solder wire #2, and #1 will come right back out, etc...

What's a good method for soldering wires into such a small piece of equipment?

What type of solder are you using? Solid core? Hollow core? What type of flux is in the solder? RMA is what you want for wire connections.

What size tip? Is the tip coming into contact with the already soldered pins or is the solder not wetting the connections properly?

I have an IPC-610d and a IPC 7711/7721 (and others) instructor certification so I'd be happy to help.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Edited by luvdemshrooms (05/21/10 07:00 PM)

InvisibleShockValue
Because, ShockValue.

Loc: Tipping at windmills.
Re: need help with soldering [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #12607308 - 05/21/10 11:37 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I suck at soldering, but there are lots of tutorials on youtube.

I made one of these for kicks last christmas.  The soldering is ugly, but functional.

--------------------
  • When we built temples to view the stars, we knew about all 2000 of them.

InvisibleDr. Siekadellyk
Look at the corruption!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: need help with soldering [Re: ShockValue]
    #12607323 - 05/21/10 11:41 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

What is it?

--------------------
-My ISO list-

-My trade list-

InvisibleShockValue
Because, ShockValue.

Re: need help with soldering [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #12607334 - 05/21/10 11:43 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMoy
Quote:

A CMoy is a pocket headphone amplifier originally designed by Chu Moy on the headwize.com Headphone Resource Site and public discussion Forums.

--------------------

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy & Alien UFOs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
    #12611836 - 05/22/10 09:08 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Wow Shock Valve....I'm shocked! You made that!

That is a cool pocket amplifier I could tell it was from the "in" and "out" audio outputs, the grey potential dial on the bottom and the 9 volt battery. Very clever. How much dB increase do you get?

>>> As for the Original question Mr. OP aka Mick, I have done a lot of soldering in my time, but its always being larger wire like 18 gauge (smallest I've done) to 10 gauge (about the biggest I've done).

Some things that helps is a clamp of some sort to hold down the wire you are trying to soldier.  Tiny Alligator clips with insulation works best. The clips will hold down the wire as the solder cools around the connection and the wire being soldered.

Also, since those HMDI wires are so thin, you will need a very fine tip on your soldier gun/wand. The sharp pointed ones are best. Soldiering is an art, and much like surgery: you need a steady hand with smooth, slow control.
It takes practice. And practice comes with real-world experience. Its definitely not something you learn right away (unless you are a savant for soldiering, which would be weird). Try soldering random, non-critical wires first to hone your soldering skills.

Also, make sure your soldier that you are using has "flux" in it. The flux makes it stick. Something like 30% flux is best, I think. And makes sure the lead-content is high enough to melt, but low enough that it doesn't cause poisoning or tarnishing later on (it could turn green later).

Also, the fact that wire #1 comes off while soldiering wire #2 could be that its remelting wire #1. Try to find a soldiering gun with the lowest watt rating. You could also put some "heat sinks" by clipping copper alligators clips to the area around wire #2 to help cool the area, and not re-melt the soldier on wire #1 or any other local wires around the soldiering site.

Hope that helps,

Solder on Solider!
~ Liquid Corporal ~

Edited by LogicaL Chaos (05/22/10 09:09 PM)

InvisibleShockValue
Because, ShockValue.

Re: need help with soldering [Re: LogicaL Chaos]
    #12612008 - 05/22/10 09:54 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I really hate radio-shack, but I did buy one of these for my project.  It helped immensely.

Kronus™ Helping Hands

--------------------

OfflineManianFH
living in perverty
 User Gallery

#12614741 - 05/23/10 03:34 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the advice. To answer the above questions, I. Bought cheap $3 solder, and a cheap pointed iron gun. Ill just spend some timetrying to do it patiently

--------------------
notapillow said: "you are going about this endeavor all wrong. clear your mind of useless fear and concern. buy the ticket, take the ride, and all that.... "

InvisibleHairyTaco
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: need help with soldering [Re: ManianFH] * 1
    #12674448 - 06/02/10 07:47 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

For tight soldering like that, you will need a good soldering tip on your iron.  You will want one with a sharp point, and one that isn't covered in oxide. 

Is the end of connectors you are trying to solder to shaped like little cups or are they just straight posts?

InvisibleDr. Siekadellyk
Look at the corruption!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: need help with soldering [Re: HairyTaco]
    #12675944 - 06/02/10 11:45 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

lol hairy taco.

Do you have a story behind your name or no.

--------------------
-My ISO list-

-My trade list-

OfflineManianFH
living in perverty
 User Gallery

Re: need help with soldering [Re: HairyTaco]
    #12676547 - 06/03/10 01:58 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

posts, pretty much, very small, almost insignificant indents

--------------------

InvisibleHairyTaco
Stranger
 User Gallery

#12677078 - 06/03/10 06:18 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Just straight tiny posts that are cramped together?  The only thing you can do unfortunately is just use a sharp soldering point, something small enough that will let you only touch one post at a time.

When things get really tiny, i would suggest to melt some solder on all of the connector posts first, after you get all of the posts are done, re-melt the solder on the posts one-by-one, and stick the wire into the solder -its not proper solder procedures, and when you do it this way you run a risk of having a "cold joint", but its sometimes the only way to solder something this small.

As for my name, it was the first thing to pop into my head. :tongue:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale