Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMinion
Torque
 User Gallery

Loc: Jesusland
Panaeolina foenisecii vs. Panaeolus subbalteatus
    #8583622 - 07/01/08 10:53 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

What are the visual differences between Panaeolina foenisecii and Panaeolus subbalteatus?
I found more of what I believe Panaeolina foenisecii.
Here:

Habitat: Grassy Lawn.

Gills:brown

Stem: brown.

Cap: DARK brown

Spore print color: Looks black actually.

Bruising: No color change was observed.

--------------------
If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, set it on fire.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEl Zorro
in heaven
Re: Panaeolina foenisecii vs. Panaeolus subbalteatus [Re: Minion]
    #8583712 - 07/01/08 11:19 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

They can look very similar. However, to me, it is easy to tell them apart by the stems and gills. The mature gills on foes will be brown with spores and the stems are usually lighter colored with no hairs and watery (if that makes any sense). Although a lot of Subbs have light colored stems as well but they will be a different texture. Usually Subbs have twisting fibers spiraling up and around the stem and fine hairs.

The best thing I can say is to collect a lot of specimens and print them all. Then you will begin to see the subtle and not so subtle differences.

Once you get the hang of it you can almost always tell without even picking them.

Better yet, read this:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/7008112#7008112

InvisibleMinion
Torque
 User Gallery

Loc: Jesusland
Re: Panaeolina foenisecii vs. Panaeolus subbalteatus [Re: El Zorro]
    #8583747 - 07/01/08 11:34 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Ya I ID'd my other ones and they were foes as well.  I bet once I find some subs it'll be easy.  I hope that day comes.

--------------------
If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, set it on fire.

OfflineDerrick42084
Dead Head
Male

Re: Panaeolina foenisecii vs. Panaeolus subbalteatus [Re: Minion]
    #8584444 - 07/01/08 03:24 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Subbs have meaty stems, foes..you can squish your finger on the stem, and it mushes if that makes sense.  Honestly I can tell if i have a subb or foe as im pulling it out of the ground, because the stems are so different

--------------------
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix

OfflineEl Zorro
in heaven
Re: Panaeolina foenisecii vs. Panaeolus subbalteatus [Re: Derrick42084]
    #8584629 - 07/01/08 04:09 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Not all subbs have meaty stems. Some have stems that are very thin. I've found Subb patches that had both the thin stems and thick stems growing side by side. And by thin I mean thinner than a toothpick.

OfflineCultureRevolution
Stranger
Re: Panaeolina foenisecii vs. Panaeolus subbalteatus [Re: El Zorro]
    #12604286 - 05/21/10 01:51 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

So I've read a great deal of information on foenisecii and subbalteatus and at this point I believe I may have both strains growing in my backyard. I live in North America in a state that is confirmed to frequently get them.

I'll post photos at some point today. I'm also relatively new to hunting thus I have yet to make any prints of my findings. Is it as simple as pressing the cap onto a piece of paper? I feel like that's a bit simple but if so then great!
Hah... I digress, the big question on my mind is will they be safe to brew a batch of tea with? Trace amounts may be all I'm getting but to be honest, I enjoy incredibly moderate doses of psychoactives, or at least as a "pregame" for the weekend.

Cheers!

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Re: Panaeolina foenisecii vs. Panaeolus subbalteatus [Re: CultureRevolution]
    #12604412 - 05/21/10 02:12 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

This thread is ancient. Start a new one when you have pics to post of your own finds, but please do not disturb the dead.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags