Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
What is the best tasting mushroom?
    #1259179 - 01/29/03 01:39 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I grew out some blue oysters before trying my hand at the Psilocybes. They tasted like ass. I also tried some Shaggy Manes, but nothing grew.

I haven't tasted very many mushrooms, but I have yet to find one that is better than the white button mushroom.

Amanita Muscaria I found to be surprisingly tasty, even though they were dried.

What should I try to grow next?

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: What is the best tasting mushroom? [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1259197 - 01/29/03 01:48 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Morels are the best tasting mushrooms I've ever tried.  I thought oysters were good too though :P .  I'm trying to grow some elm oysters now, but am having some probs and don't really have enough extra time to do it right  :mad: .  I hear they're tastier than the true oysters, might be worth a try for you.  Shiitake are also good and fairly easy to grow, might also be worth a try.

DH

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

#1260152 - 01/29/03 09:31 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

It's a shame your shaggy manes didn't work out, I reckon they taste superb

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: What is the best tasting mushroom? [Re: zeta]
    #1260279 - 01/30/03 12:32 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

It came in a block of spawn. I busted some of it off and mixed it in some worm castings, but I never saw any signs of growth after 3 months, so I abandoned it.

The rest got a nasty green contam, so I took it out to the edge of the woods and busted it up, and scattered it in with the rotting leaves.

No sign of them after a year.

This was before I ever grew Psilocybes. Probably about the time I joined the Shroomery.

--------------------

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Loc: Oregon
    #1260385 - 01/30/03 01:35 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

My favorites are puffballs,especially Calvatia gigantea. They can be huge and you can actually cut steaks off and B-B-Que them.I really like wild Agaricus also but then those are just wild buttons for the most part :wink:WR

--------------------
To old for this place

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: What is the best tasting mushroom? [Re: whiterasta]
    #1260458 - 01/30/03 02:28 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Are most puffballs edible?

--------------------

Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Loc: Oregon
    #1260675 - 01/30/03 04:21 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Most smooth skinned puffers are good while the interor is still firm and white.I have tried nearly all smooth skinned types that are big enough to eat in my area and find them delicious.PS there is one warty top type (name escapes me at present)with a short stalklike "stem" which grows under fir trees which I especially like because of their abundance :grin:WR

--------------------
To old for this place

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: What is the best tasting mushroom? [Re: spores]
    #1260879 - 01/30/03 05:46 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I love morels, chantrelles. . .but I have to give the BEST tasting award to Agaricus augustus [if cooked/eaten as fresh as possible].  Tough one to grow, though :frown:

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
    #1261257 - 01/30/03 08:00 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

There are so many edible wild mushrooms that blow away the regular store button mushrooms that you're unlikely to ever try them all. The button mushrooms aren't bad, but they are not very strongly flavored.

Boletus edulis (porcini, cepe, steinpilz, the king)
Cantharellus cibarius (chanterelle, pfefferling)
Agaricus augustus (the prince)
Morchella esculenta (morels)
Tricholoma flavovirens (man on horseback)
Tricholoma magnivelare (matsutake)
Dentinum repandum (sweet tooth)
Coprinus comatus (shaggy mane)
Armillaria ostoyae (honey mushrooms)

That's a short list of some of my wild favorites. Unfortunately, almost none of those can be cultivated, because they live in mycorrhizal association with trees or shrubs.

Some Agaricus species can be cultivated, but not all have been. The same applies to Coprinus. Armillaria should be cultivatable, but there are issues with them - they are sometimes nasty parasites on trees which cannot be cured and which kill lots of trees every year.

For a selection of edible species which have been successfully cultivated I would recommend you check out FungiPerfecti, Paul Stamets company. They sell live cultures of a lot of species which he has successfully cultivated. They will also provide some advice on how to grow them successfully. There are other companies around which provide similar services. A google search will give you plenty of information.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: What is the best tasting mushroom? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1261918 - 01/30/03 11:31 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, I've been to fungi.com. That's where I got my comatus. I got my oyster kit from Mushroompeople.

--------------------

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
    #1263363 - 01/30/03 08:03 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Besides other mentioned I was very impressed with wild Sparassis crispa & Polyporus umbellatus, but they're hard to cultivate indoors.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale