Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
Electrical help - It's just a light switch * 1
    #12515499 - 05/06/10 07:59 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Hi everyone,
I'm helping a friend of mine do some wiring!  The hallway that we're working in is about 30 feet long.  At one end of the hallway is where a light switch sits.  We need to put another switch at the other end of the hallway to turn on the same light.

We can easily run a wire to the new switch but we can't figure out how wire it up.  The only thing I can think of is to run a wire from the old switch to the new one, the back again.  But I know we shouldn't need to back track and use twice the amount of wire. 

I've seen wiring done like this on stairs where there is a switch on top of the stairs and one on the bottom.  Unless I'm wrong, electricians don't back track and use twice the amount of wire.  Or do they?

Any ideas? 

Thanks!
Lana

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleEpilson Lyrae
Armed with hammers
Male User Gallery

Loc: Woody Creek
Re: Electrical help - It's just a light switch [Re: Lana]
    #12515620 - 05/06/10 08:40 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

http://www.homeimprovementweb.com/information/how-to/three-way-switch.htm

Although there are only two switches involved, it's referred to as a 3 way switch.
It can seem a little complicated but is possible for a DYI'er with some degree of knowledge in wiring and electrical.
As with any electrical though, it's sometimes best to get professional help because it just isn't worth burning down your house.
If you google 'wiring a 3 way switch' or any variation of that phrase you will find a lot of information on the subject.
Good luck and be careful if you decide to do it yourself.
Make sure all your connections are tight and insulated and check that there is no power to anything you are working with.

--------------------
"Freedom is something that dies unless it's used." H.T.
I've come to believe that the heart is the filter of the enlightened mind. Epilson Lyrae

Edited by Epilson Lyrae (05/06/10 08:45 AM)

InvisibleRazzl3Frazzl3
Female

Re: Electrical help - It's just a light switch [Re: Epilson Lyrae]
    #12515661 - 05/06/10 09:02 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Or you can simply take apart a pre-existing one, noting where the wires run, and re intstall the new one the same exact way.

That's how i installed my new digital thermostat.

InvisibleTacoHerder
Bluedavenger
Male User Gallery

#12518922 - 05/06/10 07:59 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Lana said:
Hi everyone,
I'm helping a friend of mine do some wiring!  The hallway that we're working in is about 30 feet long.  At one end of the hallway is where a light switch sits.  We need to put another switch at the other end of the hallway to turn on the same light.

We can easily run a wire to the new switch but we can't figure out how wire it up.  The only thing I can think of is to run a wire from the old switch to the new one, the back again.  But I know we shouldn't need to back track and use twice the amount of wire. 

I've seen wiring done like this on stairs where there is a switch on top of the stairs and one on the bottom.  Unless I'm wrong, electricians don't back track and use twice the amount of wire.  Or do they?

Any ideas? 

Thanks!
Lana

Your current switch is most likely a single-pole. it will have a line wire which is the wire taking power to the light(going to be a black wire), it will have a load wire which is your hot(also going to be black), and it will have a ground wire(green). The neutral wires will be capped off together in the box. you will want to replace that switch and the new one with a 3 way switch like stated. its pretty much the same as a single-pole switch, just you will need a travel wire to go from switch to switch. So make sure to get 12/3 or 14/3 romex(depending on your breaker size). that link has some good diagrams for you to see how to wire up the new 3-ways.

--------------------
TO ALL CULTIVATORS, EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10899385
We need more member like mycochef, he is truly a kind giving person. Just ask Noobie, mycochef hooked him up big time!
Fastest Cultivation WINNER!!!! NoOneKnowsHowToAct won it twice, must be doing something right:super:

Shoot me a pm if you would like a powerful custom laser built. :smile: 4th pic is a 1.3W 445nm laser burning thru some plastic makeup containers. Yes I was wearing proper safety goggles, otherwise I would be blind right now.

OfflineRogerRabbitV
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Re: Electrical help - It's just a light switch [Re: TacoHerder] * 1
    #12519790 - 05/06/10 10:40 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

The wire that connects the two 3-way switches is called the 'traveler'.  As said, the neutral(white wire) goes directly to the lamp and isn't switched.  The common of one of the switches goes directly to the black power wire and the common of the other switch goes to the other terminal on the light.  The other two terminals on each switch are tied to the same terminals on the other switch.

You'll need to run a three wire type NM (romex) between the two switches.  Make sure all three are insulated wires.  If you're using #12 wire, it will be labeled 12-3 w/ground.  Use the bare ground wire to tie the metal parts of box A to the new box B you'll be installing.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleTacoHerder
Bluedavenger
Male User Gallery

Re: Electrical help - It's just a light switch [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #12519801 - 05/06/10 10:43 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

:super: hopefully the OP's house wasn't required to use metal boxes and metal conduit. i hate messing with metal in residential homes.

--------------------
TO ALL CULTIVATORS, EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10899385
We need more member like mycochef, he is truly a kind giving person. Just ask Noobie, mycochef hooked him up big time!
Fastest Cultivation WINNER!!!! NoOneKnowsHowToAct won it twice, must be doing something right:super:

Shoot me a pm if you would like a powerful custom laser built. :smile: 4th pic is a 1.3W 445nm laser burning thru some plastic makeup containers. Yes I was wearing proper safety goggles, otherwise I would be blind right now.

InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
Re: Electrical help - It's just a light switch [Re: TacoHerder]
    #12521168 - 05/07/10 07:57 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Hey guys, thanks for all of your help and advice.  This weekend I think we're going to give it a shot! 

Thanks again!

:smile:

Lana

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #12522340 - 05/07/10 01:39 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

One last thing.  Use the screws on the switches to connect the wires.  Do not just push the wires into the little holes in the back.  And wrap electrical tape around the whole switch, covering the screw heads.  Make at least two full wraps.

--------------------

InvisibleTacoHerder
Bluedavenger
Male User Gallery

Re: Electrical help - It's just a light switch [Re: zappaisgod]
    #12523464 - 05/07/10 05:48 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
One last thing.  Use the screws on the switches to connect the wires.  Do not just push the wires into the little holes in the back.  And wrap electrical tape around the whole switch, covering the screw heads.  Make at least two full wraps.

omg im so glad im not the only one who would hate it when you see people do that. over time the wires back out and cause issues. i always wrap tape around the whole switch, esp if your box is metal. all good points the op should know:super:

heck i always worked with hot circuits, just make sure to tape off the hot, and sometimes the neutral needed to be capped off too.

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
    #12525229 - 05/08/10 12:06 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

use two three way switches and some three wire romex.
look up how to do the wiring on google. plenty of info there im too drunk to talk about it.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Offlinezombi
chillosopher
Male

Loc: Boston area
Re: Electrical help - It's just a light switch [Re: TacoHerder]
    #12594590 - 05/19/10 08:32 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

TacoHerder said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:

omg im so glad im not the only one who would hate it when you see people do that. over time the wires back out and cause issues. i always wrap tape around the whole switch, esp if your box is metal. all good points the op should know:super:

heck i always worked with hot circuits, just make sure to tape off the hot, and sometimes the neutral needed to be capped off too.

i used to wrap them in tape too, but the only time you really need to is when using madbars. otherwise the switch shouldn't be touching anything else.

and definitely don't backstab.

--------------------
My words, too, are only an echo; but there is no reason why I should not repeat what I have heard.                    :zombie5:
-Socrates                                                                Let the rabbits wear glasses!
:gd_icon::trippycow::gd_icon:

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Electrical help - It's just a light switch [Re: zombi]
    #12596793 - 05/20/10 08:41 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I just like to cover the screw heads in case of an inadvertent touch.  The bite isn't much but it is annoying.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Ythan, Anno, Thor, Link, Seuss
2,377 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 1 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2024 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.022 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 14 queries.