Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Offlinethe_drummer
Stucking Foaned
 User Gallery

Loc: The Kan-Abyss
Re: Thru-hiking. [Re: Shroomism]
    #11928105 - 01/30/10 06:07 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Damn dude, right on. There's a lot of great stuff there.

I'm not ready for the thru-hike just yet. I have to find my mountain feet first. But it will be someday soon, probably after I'm done with all my schooling.

What is this $3 alcohol stove? I like the sound of that. I wasn't looking forward to lugging my five pound coleman across Shenandoah.

I'm not sold on the cuscus. The main attractor to me was the fact that it holds so much. But, yes nine pounds is a bit much. I'm still debating buying my pack online and saving a little $$ vs. going to a supply store and testing one out right there.

One thing I won't be leaving without is my SAS pocket survival guide. I'd say it weighs maybe 2 ounces and it has all the information I could ever want, from dressing an animal to building emergency shelters in any climate zone. It's also got a great little section on identifying edible plants and fungi.

--------------------

"That's the vernacular, isn't it?" --Mrs. Peel

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMagicJames
Male

Loc: Michigan Flag
Re: Thru-hiking. [Re: the_drummer]
    #12099568 - 02/26/10 12:43 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I hiked the appalachian trail from new hampshire to boston.

Was one of the coolest fucking experiences of my entire life.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #12102188 - 02/26/10 01:27 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

You can build your own alcohol stove for about $3, they weigh about an ounce.
http://zenstoves.net/
If you don't feel confident to make your own, people make them and sell them with everything you need except fuel for about $20.

9lbs is insanely heavy for a pack. Mine holds 70 liters and it weighs 3.8 lbs. Definitely do some shopping around before you decide on anything. You can find good deals online - but try to try packs on first at the store - and if you like them you can go and save some money by ordering online. When it comes to packs, I would DEFINITELY do your research first, read reviews, try it on... see what other people think. Stoves, clothes, sleeping bag, etc these are all mostly personal preference, but your pack is going to be on your back carrying all that weight the entire time.. you want it to be as comfortable as possible while holding 30+ lbs.

SAS pocket guide is very well worth its weight in gold. It's things like a 5 lb coleman stove - definitely a big nono. Or a mag light or something. Get a lightweight alcohol stove that weighs ounces, a nice light headlamp. No sense carrying tons of extra weight when you don't have to.

--------------------

OfflineSpaced_Cowboy
Stranger

Re: Thru-hiking. [Re: Shroomism]
    #12223727 - 03/18/10 11:02 AM (14 years, 14 days ago)

Anyone gettin started on one of these anytime soon??

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
Re: Thru-hiking. [Re: Spaced_Cowboy]
    #12225537 - 03/18/10 03:54 PM (14 years, 14 days ago)

I am thru-hiking the west coast trail in June/July with a female friend of mine.

75kms in a coastal rainforest and along the beaches - we'll probably take 5-6 days. There's lots of hype on the west coast trail being super challenging, but it sounds pretty heavily traveled and fairly easy these days, compared to how it was in the 70's.

Anyone done it?

Anyways, i am really looking forward to the planning stages of this, especially planning a menu and dehydrating/preparing one pot meals.

Finally - all my reading and research over the years will be put to use.

Now that i have wheels and am not tied down - i can see myself doing alot of multi-day hike's in the coming years. Anyone who does this sort of thing gets huge respect from me.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Offlinethe_drummer
Stucking Foaned
 User Gallery

Loc: The Kan-Abyss
Re: Thru-hiking. [Re: PDU]
    #12227263 - 03/18/10 08:54 PM (14 years, 13 days ago)

Well, I was going to hike the AT but life sort of got in the way. Now it seems I'm moving to San Francisco.

I just finished reading the National Geographic article on Mike Fay's Redwood Range Transect...basically he hiked from just south of Big Sur to just above the Oregon border looking for the biggest, oldest redwoods.

For me, this would be a dream come true. I have never seen a redwood in person but I am looking forward to it to the point of almost not believing that such things actually exist.

--------------------

"That's the vernacular, isn't it?" --Mrs. Peel

InvisibleDelicious Apes
    #12569239 - 05/15/10 07:57 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Alright, this is close to the materialization.. Was looking for some recommendations on some scrambles or even hikes to some smalelr peaks in Alberta/BC.I'm not carrying/don't have mountaineering equipment. Any suggestions?

This'll be the first time since I was a young kid I will be spending in the mountains, can't fucking wait.

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Re: Thru-hiking. [Re: Delicious Apes]
    #12569356 - 05/15/10 08:18 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I am in the same situation. I will be doing my first multiday backpacking trips hopefully within a month. I am in the Thompson/Okanagan, BC.

When the weather clears, i will be heading here: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/cathedral/

Manning park is in close proximity and has easier access and multiday hikes aswell.

and here:
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/stein_val/

I am currently reading a guide book to Wells Gray park which is 2 hours from me... one of BC's biggest wilderness parks ... so hopefully get out there for some weekend trips with friends soon :smile:

I would definitely recommend looking into national and provincial parks in your area and then going from there. Glacier national park is between the BC/Alberta boarder, so it might be a good option for you + i hear there is hot springs there.

I was surprised at how many trail guide books my library has.

Also try signing up for the forums at clubtread.com, they have regional forums...

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

InvisibleDelicious Apes
Re: Thru-hiking. [Re: PDU]
    #12569522 - 05/15/10 08:45 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, excellentI had planned to visit the hot springs!:awesome:

Thanks for the links. I have been looking over some of the larger national parks, and am just trying to put together a loose schedule/itinerary. I essentially have until August to do or go wherever I want,providing money doesn't run out, and picked up a nice van for a couple grand that's been built for this trip. I have some worries about leaving it parked for days, but it's not exactly new and I think making it clear there's nothing valuable inside and I should be safe.

I scrapped the pure thru-hiking plan for now, truth is I don't yet have the endurance or experience to dive into it just yet, this will give me an option for some down time as well as the freedom to spend days out in a larger environment. Also requires less planning as I can pack a ton of shit and pick and choose.

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Re: Thru-hiking. [Re: Delicious Apes]
    #12569582 - 05/15/10 08:54 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Delicious Apes said:

Quote:

Thanks for the links. I have been looking over some of the larger national parks, and am just trying to put together a loose schedule/itinerary. I essentially have until August to do or go wherever I want,providing money doesn't run out,

Too funny, i am in a very similar situation. I have no obligations all Summer as of last Friday. I am collecting employment insurance and plan on spending as much time on the road/in the bush as possible to conserve my meager earnings. For the first time i have a vehicle and equipment and am ready to go. :smile: - Only thing holding me back, is i am having Hernia Surgery on Monday so that'll require 3-4 weeks downtime.

I am thinking about gearing up about the second week of June and heading down to the Okanagan and checking out Manning and Cathedral for 4 or 5 days each.

Quote:

I have some worries about leaving it parked for days, but it's not exactly new and I think making it clear there's nothing valuable inside and I should be safe.

I have the same fear - but i figure my empty $1800 toyota tercel shouldn't be too much of a target in the parking lots...

Quote:

I scrapped the pure thru-hiking plan for now, truth is I don't yet have the endurance or experience to dive into it just yet, this will give me an option for some down time as well as the freedom to spend days out in a larger environment. Also requires less planning as I can pack a ton of shit and pick and choose.

Good plan. I don't have the experience, but do have the confidence, planning ability and endurance to head out. I am inexperienced with a compass and that is my biggest draw back. In order to better my chances of success, i am going to plan on using well marked trails that will take 1-2 days to complete (ie. under 25kms.)

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds