Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineOreganic
Connoisseur of Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Orygun
Poisonous Oregon Mushrooms?
    #12194913 - 03/13/10 12:29 PM (14 years, 19 days ago)

Hello. So I've been recently getting into mushroom hunting... ok, kind of obsessed at this point. I love all aspects of mushrooms, the medicinal benefits, the hallucinogenic properties and of course the tasty food :awesomenod:. And this site has helped me discover worlds of knowledge that I probably would have otherwise not have found. So now that I'm getting to a point where I feel sort of confident going hunting for wild mushrooms, I'd like to take an extra precautionary step and see if people could post some pictures of poisonous mushrooms that grow around Oregon? I hope this can turn into useful thread, for all the info on actives and edibles, I haven't been able to find much really quality info on poisonous mushrooms in Oregon.

Thanks!

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTangich

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: Poisonous Oregon Mushrooms? [Re: Oreganic]
    #12194988 - 03/13/10 12:44 PM (14 years, 19 days ago)

I don't know specifically about Oregon, but there are many many types of poisonous mushrooms, and it would be difficult to list them all. I think the better approach would be for you to focus on several specific edible mushroom species that grow around you, and research them and all poisonous lookalikes.

OfflineOreganic
Connoisseur of Life
 User Gallery

Re: Poisonous Oregon Mushrooms? [Re: Tangich]
    #12195098 - 03/13/10 12:59 PM (14 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

Tangich said:
there are many many types of poisonous mushrooms, and it would be difficult to list them all. I think the better approach would be for you to focus on several specific edible mushroom species that grow around you, and research them and all poisonous lookalikes.

True. What specifically perked my interest was that I saw Galerina autumnalis mentioned in another thread, and after looking at it I was like "Damn, those look a lot like Cyans", which I know grow around here.

I guess I was hoping that there might be a few hunters here in Oregon with good knowledge on poisonous species that are particularly risky. Such as G. autumnalis which is very dangerous. Another reason I made this thread is the fact that I am not simply looking for "Stunziis" or Oysters, but since I'm really interested in the whole spectrum of edibles. I don't need a complete list of every poisonous mushroom in Oregon (although, I suppose if one existed that would be pretty nice...), but was more hoping that some experienced Oregon hunters could tell me of some they come across regularly, or that I should really be aware of.

--------------------

InvisibleBretdaniel
Heavy Vibes

#12195219 - 03/13/10 01:18 PM (14 years, 19 days ago)

Your best bet is to look at books about mushrooms or www.mushroomexpert.com has most of the poisonous sp.

OfflineSoCal
Person
Male

Loc: Southern California
Re: Poisonous Oregon Mushrooms? [Re: Bretdaniel]
    #12195370 - 03/13/10 01:42 PM (14 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

Bretdaniel said:
Your best bet is to look at books about mushrooms or www.mushroomexpert.com has most of the poisonous sp.

indeed this book has the info you need...

--------------------
"Nature alone is antique and the oldest art a mushroom."
Thomas Carlyle

Offlinepirateseatsouls
Facehead
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle(ish), WA Flag
Re: Poisonous Oregon Mushrooms? [Re: SoCal]
    #12195428 - 03/13/10 01:53 PM (14 years, 19 days ago)

:thumbup:
I have that book.

OfflineOreganic
Connoisseur of Life
 User Gallery

#12200250 - 03/14/10 12:57 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

SoCal said:
Quote:

Bretdaniel said:

Thanks! I will certainly look into it.

--------------------

OfflineSilkyB
Wizard Alien
Male User Gallery

Loc: SouthWest
    #12203732 - 03/14/10 11:02 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

There are many poisonous mushrooms all over North America ranging from deadly to mildly stomach upsetting. I'll list a few of the more common deadly ones that you might encounter up there that I know of, hope it helps, and keep in mind there are alot more than these!

Destroying Angel, Amanita virosa

Death Cap, Amanita phalloides

I would just avoid Amanitas in general since the majority aren't edible or even deadly like the ones above:crazy2:

Here's one more than is sometimes mistaken for psilocybin containing mushrooms usually because of the color and the cap, but the stalk and gills are quite different. Also note that it is found of decaying wood and logs.

Deadly Galerina, Galerina autumnalis

:goodluck:

--------------------
"It's in the red!"

Edited by SilkyB (03/15/10 12:43 PM)

InvisibleCalifornia
A E S T H E T I C S A T A N
 User Gallery

Loc: H A U N T E D H O U S E Flag
    #12204025 - 03/15/10 12:02 AM (14 years, 18 days ago)

OfflineOreganic
Connoisseur of Life
 User Gallery

Re: Poisonous Oregon Mushrooms? [Re: California]
    #12205896 - 03/15/10 12:12 PM (14 years, 17 days ago)

Thank you silkyB! That was exactly the kind of response I was looking for. Much appreciated! :cheers:

And Oregon, what exactly did you post pictured of?

--------------------

Edited by Oreganic (03/15/10 12:12 PM)

OfflineSilkyB
Wizard Alien
Male User Gallery

#12206073 - 03/15/10 12:39 PM (14 years, 17 days ago)

Quote:

Oreganic said:
Thank you silkyB! That was exactly the kind of response I was looking for. Much appreciated! :cheers:

No problem! And I'm pretty sure those are galerina more matured than the picture I posted, that Oregon posted which is great to see the different stages of life, but I'm not 100% sure I almost thought it was some kind of Hygrophoropsis from a distance but its definitely not :crazy2:

--------------------
"It's in the red!"

OfflineOreganic
Connoisseur of Life
 User Gallery

Re: Poisonous Oregon Mushrooms? [Re: SilkyB]
    #12207179 - 03/15/10 03:46 PM (14 years, 17 days ago)

What Aminitas do people actually hunt to eat? Is it just the A. muscaria?

--------------------

OfflineSilkyB
Wizard Alien
Male User Gallery

#12209294 - 03/15/10 09:39 PM (14 years, 17 days ago)

Quote:

Oreganic said:
What Aminitas do people actually hunt to eat? Is it just the A. muscaria?

I wouldn't recommend eating Amanita muscaria's raw at least, since you might have just as much or more of a stomach ache than a trip. They contain Muscimol and Ibotenic Acid which are the psychoactive toxins but at larger amounts those same toxins can make you quite sick or even be fatal but that takes a lot.

I hear you can detoxify by cooking and other methods, or you can isolate the psychoactive compounds in a nice tea to make you trip, but I'm no expert just a mycology major but only about halfway through school:crazy2: and have never tried A. muscaria's myself but I would like to since I see them all the time camping lol.

Anyway there are some edible Amanita's! One is the American Caesar's Mushroom but I'm not sure if those exist in Oregon but there are some here in Arizona.

You might however see the edible and choice Coccora, Amanita calyptroderma or Amanita lanei.
I hear its common in Northern California and Oregon, ill post a pic below.

But be careful since to me it looks much like Death Cap when young and a lot like some Yellow-orange Fly Agarics when mature. And I have heard many times from Mycologists and field guides that no Amanita's should be gathered or eaten unless you are very experienced or have someone experienced to help identify them, since to me it seems like 90% or more are toxic ha,
:aweoverdose:

--------------------
"It's in the red!"

OfflineOreganic
Connoisseur of Life
 User Gallery

Re: Poisonous Oregon Mushrooms? [Re: SilkyB]
    #12209798 - 03/15/10 10:56 PM (14 years, 17 days ago)

Quote:

SilkyB said:
I wouldn't recommend eating Amanita muscaria's raw at least, since you might have just as much or more of a stomach ache than a trip. They contain Muscimol and Ibotenic Acid which are the psychoactive toxins but at larger amounts those same toxins can.

You might however see the edible and choice Coccora, Amanita calyptroderma or Amanita lanei.
I hear its common in Northern California and Oregon, ill post a pic below.

But be careful since to me it looks much like Death Cap when young and a lot like some Yellow-orange Fly Agarics when mature. And I have heard many times from Mycologists and field guides that no Amanita's should be gathered or eaten unless you are very experienced or have someone experienced to help identify them, since to me it seems like 90% or more are toxic ha,
:aweoverdose:

Haha, yeah pretty much this is what I've gathered. I wouldn't ever eat a raw A. muscaria, and it would take a lot for me to gather the will to make a tea from it... although I plan on trying some day, for sure. I see them all the time when I go camping myself!

Thanks for the heads up on the Amanita calyptroderma and Amanita lanei, I'll have to look into them.

--------------------

Offlinepsylosymonreturns
aka Gym Sporrison
Male

Loc: Mos Eisley,
    #12211797 - 03/16/10 10:14 AM (14 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

SoCal said:
Quote:

Bretdaniel said:

i got that book for christmas. its pretty good but ive noticed alot of the descriptions dont actually say if its edible or poisonous . regardless, still worth getting for pnw hunting .

--------------------

OfflineSilkyB
Wizard Alien
Male User Gallery

Re: Poisonous Oregon Mushrooms? [Re: psylosymonreturns]
    #12214197 - 03/16/10 05:33 PM (14 years, 16 days ago)

I recommend this book too, I take it everywhere :awesomenod:! Also it lists if each mushroom is Deadly, Poisonous, Edible, or a Choice Edible, if it's blank it means it has not yet been determined.

--------------------
"It's in the red!"

InvisibleCalifornia
 User Gallery

#12215067 - 03/16/10 07:44 PM (14 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Oreganic said:

Galerina marginata.

OfflineShiitGrower
Professor
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Poisonous Oregon Mushrooms? [Re: California]
    #12215211 - 03/16/10 08:10 PM (14 years, 16 days ago)

Hey I live in Oregon too.  It seems like there are about a dozen species that look very similar to Liberty Caps.  If anyone finds some Oregon Liberty Caps could you please post a picture or comment on some of the characterstics that destinguish them from similar looking Mycena.

Offlineelprawn
Mushroom Guestimator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ilford, England
Trusted Identifier
Re: Poisonous Oregon Mushrooms? [Re: ShiitGrower]
    #12215269 - 03/16/10 08:18 PM (14 years, 16 days ago)

Well for starters Liberty Caps don't have white gills. They don't look rubbery like Mycena do, either. They're all slimey.

InvisibleCalifornia
 User Gallery

Re: Poisonous Oregon Mushrooms? [Re: ShiitGrower]
    #12215573 - 03/16/10 09:11 PM (14 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

ShiitGrower said:
Hey I live in Oregon too.  It seems like there are about a dozen species that look very similar to Liberty Caps.  If anyone finds some Oregon Liberty Caps could you please post a picture or comment on some of the characterstics that destinguish them from similar looking Mycena.

one characteristic that would distinguish a liberty cap from a mycena is the areas in which they grow, and what they grow from.

liberty caps don't grow on wood.
liberty caps don't have white spore prints.
liberty caps can, and often do grow to be much larger than mycena.
the edge of a liberty cap cap will usually be curled inward towards the stem whereas the edge of many(not all) mycena will curve outward away from the stem.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates