Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewhite_rabbit
alice in wonderland
truffles
    #1197267 - 01/07/03 08:28 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

any one know where i can get a truffle print do they even drop spores? if any one know anything about truffles get back to me!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineX.O
Fucktard
Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: white_rabbit]
    #1198363 - 01/07/03 03:17 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
I'm a huge idiot

InvisiblePenroc3
hypno toad
 User Gallery

Re: truffles [Re: X.O]
    #1198718 - 01/07/03 05:19 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

i do belive that it is some kind of tuber(but maby im wrong) and i know they need to grow under a certin kind of tree i forgot what kind, and thats all i know about that

Edited by Penroc3 (01/07/03 05:20 PM)

OfflineX.O
Fucktard
Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: Penroc3]
    #1198914 - 01/07/03 06:18 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
I'm a huge idiot

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: truffles [Re: X.O]
    #1198953 - 01/07/03 06:30 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

There have been many truffle posts here lately.
They produce spores underground. The pigs are turned on by smell (truffles produce pig feromone), dig them out, eat them and spread around the spores with their poo.

InvisibleG a n j a
Pictish and proud
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
Re: truffles [Re: zeronio]
    #1199155 - 01/07/03 08:49 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for that zeronio i didnt know that :smile: i knew that people
use pigs to find them,and that good truffle pigs are highly prized.
But i didnt know they were the spreaders of the spores.
Nature contiues to amaze me :smile: There are underground flowering
orchids that use ants and other insects to spread there seed
so i just assumed this was the same.So truffles need two sort's
of sybiotic realationships to spread,an oak and a boar.No wonder
there proving quite hard for people to cultivate.

Personaly i think they taste nasty so ill leave them to the boars :smile:

--------------------
er

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Re: truffles [Re: white_rabbit]
    #1215320 - 01/13/03 04:34 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I've learned a bit about truffles, mostly from Dr. Jack States, a recently retired professional mycologist who I've gone on a couple forays with. Truffles and other hypogeous fungi are his specialty.

True truffles are members of the genus Tuber. All known members of the genus are edible, which isn't surprising given their ecology. Truffles are hypogeous (living undergound) ascomycetes (related to morels more than gilled mushrooms or boletes) which are mycorhizal with various trees and shrubs.

They spread their spores in an unusual way. They produce a strong odor which attracts various animals (mostly rodents). The animals dig up the truffle and eat it. The spores are spread in the animals' feces. This is unusual, because most mushroom spores will not survive the trip down an animals digestive system. But truffle spores cannot germinate unless they have been through a digestive system, because the spore walls are so thick. This also explains why none of them are poisonous - it wouldn't do to poison those who are spreading their spores.

During the winter months the various truffles and false truffles become an important part of the diets of animals such as squirrels. In midwinter they can make up 90% of their total diet.

Going back to your original question about spore prints, it should be clear that spore prints will probably be impossible to obtain. Instead, you will need to obtain a fresh truffle (they can be purchased). If you are thinking of growing them in culture, you will probably either have to clone one or find a way to digest a bit of the spore wall away.

If you're intending to try to cultivate them, good luck. I'm unaware of any laboratory success, but you shouldn't let that stop you. A little library time at a university will probably help a great deal. And if you succeed, they're worth enough to definitely make it worth your while.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract