Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In a Tree
My toilet leakes?
    #12007697 - 02/11/10 08:48 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

So I think my toilet has a slow leak.  The area behind it is alwyas damp and shit, but there is never any visible running water or anything like that.  Maybe a slow drip that has been going on for a while? 

The water level in teh toilet is .5" lower than it used to be (and yes, I can tell because of the gross ring - because i'm a lazy stoner college kid who doesnt clean his toilet often enough).

What can i do to figure this out?  I dont want to call maintenance cuz i' dhave to hide my bongs 'n shit.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSillicybin
Loc: Flag
Re: My toilet leakes? [Re: memes]
    #12007717 - 02/11/10 08:53 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

If it's like mine, there are two large bolts on the bottom of the tank that hold the tank in place.  There are usually globs of silicone that the installer put over the bolts to keep them from leaking.  Mine sprung a slow leak, and it was from these (the silicone had started to peel away.)

Drain the toilet, get some bathroom silicone and glob those suckers back up.  Let it dry completely (read the label on the silicone, but it can take 24 hours) and then fill'er back up and check for leaks.

InvisibleFlop Johnson
Praise Skatballah
Male

Loc: TX
    #12007722 - 02/11/10 08:56 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

courtesy ehow.com

For leaks at the fill valve

1.) First, tighten all connections. If the leak persists, determine the leak's source by drying everything with a towel, then looking and feeling for water.

2.) Turn off the water supply to the toilet, flush to drain the tank and sponge out any remaining water.

3.) Use a wrench to disconnect the supply-tube coupling nut and remove the fill valve's mounting nut

4.) Lift out the fill valve to clean the gasket and washer. If either is damaged or dried out, replace it

5.) Reseat the valve, carefully centering it in the hole and holding it vertical as you tighten the mounting nut about a half turn past the point of full contact.

6.) Reinstall the water-supply tube and turn on the water to test it. If necessary, tighten the mounting nut a little more.

For leaks at the flush valve

1.) Drain the tank and supply-tube coupling as described in step 1, above. Remove the tank's mounting bolts using a large standard screwdriver on the bolt and either a socket wrench or channel type pliers on the nut. Lift off the tank.

2.) With the tank upside down, pull or twist off the rubber spud washer and use a spud wrench to unscrew the large locking nut from the flush valve.

3.) Lay the tank on its side and remove the flush valve.

4.) Remove the beveled cone washer from the flush valve. Clean it and the spud washer with a soapy sponge (or replace them if they are in poor condition).

5.) Reverse the procedure to reinstall the tank. Make sure the beveled side of the cone washer is facing the tank's inside and the beveled side of the spud washer is facing the bowl.

InvisibleBrnDubies
interloper
Male

Loc: the Green Mountains
    #12007782 - 02/11/10 09:10 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

If sealing/retightening the valves is not fruitful, it could be a simple condensation problem. If the relative humidity is adequate, the cool bowl can cause constant moisture build-up around the toilet. The usual proximity of toilet and shower could even be causing the moisture to collect and bead-off the back of the bowl every time the shower is used.

--------------------
the pain of war can not exceed the woe of aftermath

InvisibleRazzl3Frazzl3
Female

Re: My toilet leakes? [Re: BrnDubies] * 1
    #12007807 - 02/11/10 09:16 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

BrnDubies said:
If sealing/retightening the valves is not fruitful, it could be a simple condensation problem. If the relative humidity is adequate, the cool bowl can cause constant moisture build-up around the toilet. The usual proximity of toilet and shower could even be causing the moisture to collect and bead-off the back of the bowl every time the shower is used.

Mine does this. Or maybe it could be the wax ring at the base of the floor.

Turn of water, flush toilet to remove most water. Take two nuts off and rock the toilet back and forth to get the wax ring to release. Clean the wax out, and install new ring.

They are less than $5 at Lowes.

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My toilet leakes? [Re: Razzl3Frazzl3]
    #12008043 - 02/11/10 10:05 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Fuck yeah hell yeah.  I'll get off my ass and do this on saturday.  Thanks guys! 

I :heart: the new forum

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #12009328 - 02/11/10 01:58 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

If the water in the tank is always .5 low it probably isn't a leak.  It may just be that the level setting mechanism has, over time, deteriorated.  Float chambers can become saturated or flooded.  Another possible explanation for the dampness behind it is condensation.  When the toilet fills up with cold water and the house has high humidity there will occasionally be some condensation.  Do you have steam heat or a humidifying system?

--------------------

InvisibleEpilson Lyrae
Armed with hammers
Male User Gallery

Loc: Woody Creek
Re: My toilet leakes? [Re: zappaisgod]
    #12010311 - 02/11/10 04:30 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Just be careful with old plumbing RP.
Often times it is corroded and brittle so when you turn one thing, another thing breaks and the next thing you know you're back at the shiny new DIY forum asking how to build an outhouse.
Just don't force things and rubber gaskets are better than silicone IMO.
I think your wax ring may need replaced. They are cheap enough that I always buy a couple in case I seat the toilet wrong and mess the first one up. I'd rather return one later than have to rush to go get another but that's just me and my Tim Taylor ways.

--------------------
"Freedom is something that dies unless it's used." H.T.
I've come to believe that the heart is the filter of the enlightened mind. Epilson Lyrae

Invisibleidiotek
 User Gallery

#12010439 - 02/11/10 04:47 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

meams said:
So I think my toilet has a slow leak.  The area behind it is alwyas damp and shit, but there is never any visible running water or anything like that.  Maybe a slow drip that has been going on for a while? 

The water level in teh toilet is .5" lower than it used to be (and yes, I can tell because of the gross ring - because i'm a lazy stoner college kid who doesnt clean his toilet often enough).

What can i do to figure this out?  I dont want to call maintenance cuz i' dhave to hide my bongs 'n shit.

It's probably the wax ring under the toilet where it connects to the drain line.. There are also dyes that can be bought to put in the tank or bowl that will show you where the leak is by plainly marking the source if you think it's a cracked bowl/tank.  There are a few other places where it could be leaking, or it could be condensation on the back of the tank.

Edited by 1d10t3k (02/11/10 04:48 PM)

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#12011026 - 02/11/10 06:15 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, they're about $1.29 each.  But you still have to go through the whole jive of disconnecting and removing the toilet to fix it.  Which, even if everything goes well, requires a fair amount of tools not all of which are owned by the average apartment dweller. 

If you have to disassemble the toilet I would recommend that you just put the fucking bongs away for a day or so.

--------------------

InvisibleEpilson Lyrae
Armed with hammers
Male User Gallery

Loc: Woody Creek
Re: My toilet leakes? [Re: zappaisgod]
    #12011059 - 02/11/10 06:20 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Best advice yet.  ^^^

--------------------
"Freedom is something that dies unless it's used." H.T.
I've come to believe that the heart is the filter of the enlightened mind. Epilson Lyrae

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My toilet leakes? [Re: Epilson Lyrae]
    #12014329 - 02/12/10 06:59 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

haha fo' sho'.  I guarentee I won't be turnin' into tom-the-tool-man-taylor or anything.  i am an economist, afterall

Invisiblelegallyhomeless
mooch
 User Gallery

Loc: EZRA for the Refuge
    #12017942 - 02/12/10 07:05 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

meams said:
I guarentee I won't be turnin' into tom-the-tool-man-taylor

:ilol: :ilol:

Replacing a wax ring requires nothing but a wrench and a chisels to scrap off the old wax. I just did mine a few weeks ago. Took less then 30 minutes and Ive never done one before.

After you replace it make sure you sit on the toilet (backwards) holding the tank and rock back and forth and side to side. This will seat the ring and make a nice seal :thumbup:

--------------------
MY TRADE LIST!!!

FULLY AUTOMATIC!! 12-Pot Multi Grow Hydroponic System for Trade.

Download PSX ISOs

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: My toilet leakes? [Re: Sillicybin]
    #12018529 - 02/12/10 08:57 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Sillicybin said:
If it's like mine, there are two large bolts on the bottom of the tank that hold the tank in place.  There are usually globs of silicone that the installer put over the bolts to keep them from leaking.  Mine sprung a slow leak, and it was from these (the silicone had started to peel away.)

that silicone is the reason it was leaking, it's supposed to have thick rubber washers

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Re: My toilet leakes? [Re: legallyhomeless]
    #12018537 - 02/12/10 08:58 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

legallyhomeless said:

Replacing a wax ring requires nothing but a wrench and a chisels to scrap off the old wax.

dont even scrape the old wax, it'll add more for sealing

Invisibleidiotek
 User Gallery

Re: My toilet leakes? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #12020208 - 02/13/10 05:53 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
Quote:

legallyhomeless said:

Replacing a wax ring requires nothing but a wrench and a chisels to scrap off the old wax.

QFT.  Or if you want to get rid of the old one, you can buy two regular sized ones and pancake them together but you risk having a bit of a messy abundance of wax.  Also, you can get jumbo ones that might give you a more snug fit as well.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#12020503 - 02/13/10 08:26 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I've had to take a sawzall to the bolts on a toilet more than once, especially if the wax ring was the cause of the leak.  Then there is the water supply which must be turned off (hopefully the valve still works)  and disconnected from the tank (hopefully those aren't frozen either) or at the valve (hopefully that compression fittiing is sound).

It can be easy or it can be a bitch and a half.  And I wouldn't go jumping to any conclusion that the wax ring is causing the leak or if there even is a leak at all.  It might just be condensation.

--------------------

Invisiblelegallyhomeless
mooch
 User Gallery

Re: My toilet leakes? [Re: idiotek]
    #12021414 - 02/13/10 12:24 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

1d10t3k said:
Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
Quote:

legallyhomeless said:

QFT.  Or if you want to get rid of the old one, you can buy two regular sized ones and pancake them together but you risk having a bit of a messy abundance of wax.  Also, you can get jumbo ones that might give you a more snug fit as well.

pancaking 2 together is not a good idea. If you need a think one just get a thick one. I ALWAYS get the thick ones anyhow just because they are a better seal IMO. And yes, scrape the old wax out. More then likely its nasty as phuck and it will be a better seal to just scrape it out.

--------------------
MY TRADE LIST!!!

Download PSX ISOs

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#12021577 - 02/13/10 12:56 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

legallyhomeless said:
pancaking 2 together is not a good idea.

why exactly is that, my pop was a plumber for 50 years, it's a method he trusts

Invisiblelegallyhomeless
mooch
 User Gallery

Re: My toilet leakes? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #12022569 - 02/13/10 04:18 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
Quote:

legallyhomeless said:
pancaking 2 together is not a good idea.

why exactly is that, my pop was a plumber for 50 years, it's a method he trusts

You didnt read the rest of that....

"pancaking 2 together is not a good idea. If you need a think one just get a thick one. I ALWAYS get the thick ones anyhow just because they are a better seal IMO."

Not to mention I get the ones that have that coupling part built in.

http://www.antonline.com/p_001115-24-GP_401829.htm

--------------------
MY TRADE LIST!!!

Download PSX ISOs

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom