Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineOreganic
Connoisseur of Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Orygun
Turkey Tail Preparation?
    #11988405 - 02/08/10 02:38 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Hello all! So I have been scouring the internet to find some discussion about Tramdes Versicolor; aka "Turkey Tail" mushrooms, but aside from the few threads on this forum, and a few sites that have very limited information about the mushroom, I really can't seem to gather the information I'd like. So hopefully someone here has some experience with preparing Turkey Tail mushrooms for medicinal purposes?

I have come to the conclusion that the best way to prepare them is a tea as the mushrooms are too leathery to simply eat (although I have heard one account of a person who would find Turkey Tail along a hike through the woods and simply chew on them as they went on their way). Are there any other methods? Is simply chewing on them even beneficial, medicinally speaking?

So, under the assumption that brewing a tea out of the Turkey Tails would be the best means of utilizing the health benefits of the mushroom, could anyone give me their suggesting methods of brewing the tea?

Thus far the only method that I have heard (and which I have tried twice) is:

1st: Dry the mushrooms (Which I do speedily in the oven, on it's lowest setting, for about 15-10 mins.

2nd: Grind or chop up around 3 g

3rd: Boil it for around 15 minutes in about 20 ounces of water, strain, and than enjoy.

Is this pretty much a fine method? Is this a decent dosage? Is drying them and chopping them even necessary? Some input from some experienced pickers would be greatly appreciated! Any input is welcome. Thanks for reading!

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinec-ray
lovin' it

Re: Turkey Tail Preparation? [Re: Oreganic]
    #11989850 - 02/08/10 05:49 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

4th: throw them into a simmering soup, and remove them before eating the soup

Offlineklodeo
yoghurt weaver
Male

Loc: england
Re: Turkey Tail Preparation? [Re: c-ray]
    #11990032 - 02/08/10 06:12 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

strange, i was having this very thought just today...
i picked a load of turkey tails when i was out coppicing the other day, and wasnt too sure on the best way to use them. also, they're everywhere around these parts, so thought it would be a good one to get into.

so... i :pm:ed curenado and this is what he said:

"T. Tails are excellent medicinals by themselves or in combination!
I mix turkey tails and reishi and they do well as a hot water extract, I just let them simmer a good long time (couple hours)
If we eat the whole fruit we grind and cap it up (2-3 "00" capsules 2-3 times/day), but it equals about a fat teaspoon 2-3 times/day.
3x3 for infections, illness and 2x2 for regular use...
I make my extracts by swimming the mushies in vodka for a week, saving off the top clear for a preservative and reducing the rest in hot water (crockpot) for about 24 hours. I add the extra vodka in small amounts along the way to evaporate it and keep the goodies, I only save about 10% worth for preservative. We have to keep them in the fridge when made this way but they last at least 3 years that we know of.
I use about a pound of each mushroom per gallon in a two mushroom extract. The dose is about 4cc for 150lb person with the extract."

gonna go out tomorrow morning and see if i can pick a load more. think i could get into this :smile:

Offlinecurenado
73rd Man
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Central Arkansas
Re: Turkey Tail Preparation? [Re: klodeo]
    #11990464 - 02/08/10 07:08 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Dry your turkey tails pore side up in the direct sunlight for maximum Vit. D - provitamin D2 occurring as ergosterol - Stamets demonstrated that drying the vit D mushrooms this way exponentially increased Vit. D content (See "Mycelium Running")
We chop in a coffee grinder and sift through a wire mesh - the fine goes to caps and the coarse goes to extract.

--------------------
Yours in the Natural State!
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep; but I have patches to keep, and jars to sterilize before I sleep...."

OfflinePitcherCrab
Crescent Fresh
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: The bottom of the sea.
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Turkey Tail Preparation? [Re: curenado]
    #11990865 - 02/08/10 07:58 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

It would be nice to have a bottle of some tincture...

--------------------
PC's LAGM 2021 (TOC & TWC)
P. natalensis Growlog 2021
Pans for PC Fall 2021 Growlog

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

OfflineOreganic
Connoisseur of Life
 User Gallery

Re: Turkey Tail Preparation? [Re: PitcherCrab]
    #11992706 - 02/08/10 11:45 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Hey, thanks for the replies! Glad to get some decent feedback finally! I really like that extract method klodeo - thank you for that, I will have to try it when I have the time.

Any other input is gladly welcome! I'm just trying to get as much information as possible on these amazing little mushrooms - there are just SO many of them out right now, it's awesome.

--------------------

Offlinecurenado
73rd Man
Male User Gallery

#11993514 - 02/09/10 05:50 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I could add that t tails up your blood calcium among other things and that the sign of drinking too much is the "Dairy Queen" poops - i.e. softserve. If you get that far just back off some and things will return to normal....
Extract seems to come on faster than capsules as well.

Turkey tails dry and store very well as do all the woodeater mushrooms. If I were making a single mushroom extract I would use at least a pound/gal if not 1.5lb - you want a good, potent item. Fine chopping them as with a coffee grinder is a lot less messy than powder and powdering is not needed owing to the length of the extraction time.
If you let your crockpot evap down to 3/4 gallon or less then you have room for a second "wash" of your mushrooms which is just pouring off the first extract, adding some fresh water to the mushrooms and simmering that 30 minutes so you get more out of the mushrooms, then strain and combine.

During the crockpot phase the heavier water is forcing the vodka out and the heat is evaporating it. You want to replace volume with water but not too much as you want it reduced as close to the finishing volume as possible. You can run it on high to heat up but should turn it down to low and run it there for the extraction.

--------------------
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep; but I have patches to keep, and jars to sterilize before I sleep...."

Edited by curenado (02/09/10 10:52 AM)

OfflineOreganic
Connoisseur of Life
 User Gallery

Re: Turkey Tail Preparation? [Re: curenado]
    #11999897 - 02/10/10 01:28 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

curenado said:
I could add that t tails up your blood calcium among other things and that the sign of drinking too much is the "Dairy Queen" poops - i.e. softserve. If you get that far just back off some and things will return to normal....

Hey how'd you know I was an alcoholic! Haha.. just kidding. But that is actually really good to know, as it's not even mentioned on the wiki page for the turkey tails!

So as I sit here enjoying another fine cup of this Turkey Tail tea, I still ponder a few things.. first, is it really necessary to chop up the mushrooms before I boil them? Or should I not even waste the time?

And also, how often should the average, healthy person drink turkey tail tea? Is it good as an every night tea?

Just some thoughts... Good night!    :bongload:

--------------------

Offlinecurenado
73rd Man
Male User Gallery

#12000498 - 02/10/10 07:12 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Chopping just makes soaking them out easier. If I left 'em whole I would just increase the extracting time. I know someone who does - they have a live in with an old leg surgery that is constantly infecting so she holds it at bay by boiling t. tails and he drinks it daily.
Pretty much what you don't use you will shed and I've been eating them daily for years as have several other people I know.
You can reserve it for when you feel ill, but if you like it - an ounce of prevention....

--------------------

Offlinellucido49
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #17355456 - 12/08/12 01:43 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Thank you for all the replies. I just wrote my husband a not saying, "If I'm dead, it's because I made turkey tail tea, and drank it." It tasted peppery and I am glad to hear that there doesn't seem to be too many restrictions. I am pleased to have them growing nicely in my backyard. This year I picked my first oyster mushrooms, something my Dad always did. And they are gourmet. Loretta

OfflineSpumped
Losing Myself
Re: Turkey Tail Preparation? [Re: llucido49]
    #17542321 - 01/13/13 01:22 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Hi, I'm new to this but very interested in home made stuff. I happened upon these guys and was wondering if they're the turkey tail mushrooms you guys are talking about or something else.

OfflineJeff
Addict
Male User Gallery

Re: Turkey Tail Preparation? [Re: Spumped]
    #17542558 - 01/13/13 02:09 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

You need to get a shot of the underside.  There are a few look-a-likes.

--------------------
Myco-tek

InvisibleVersicolor
♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: Turkey Tail Preparation? [Re: Jeff]
    #17542677 - 01/13/13 02:26 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Unfortunately, those are not turkey tail. Keep looking!

--------------------
My Trade List

OfflineSpumped
Losing Myself
Re: Turkey Tail Preparation? [Re: Versicolor]
    #17542792 - 01/13/13 02:47 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Awe man. What are the look-alikes called, and are they good for anything? I can't get a good picture of the undersides, but they have tiny holes and little hair-like things. Eheh.

OfflineJeff
Addict
Male User Gallery

Re: Turkey Tail Preparation? [Re: Spumped]
    #17542817 - 01/13/13 02:52 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/trametes_versicolor.html

There are a few listed there with a decent key.

--------------------
Myco-tek

InvisibleVersicolor
♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: Turkey Tail Preparation? [Re: Jeff]
    #17542838 - 01/13/13 02:56 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

It looks like you have some Trametes pubescens. There doesn't seem to be any use for them.

--------------------
My Trade List

OfflineSpumped
Losing Myself
Re: Turkey Tail Preparation? [Re: Versicolor]
    #17542878 - 01/13/13 03:07 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Man. Too bad you can't use them.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules