Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleartizen
JEFFERSONIAN
Male

Loc: HOME SWEET HOME
Re: Mountain mushroom farm [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #11847036 - 01/17/10 01:01 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
I'll be running out of rye grain by tomorrow or the next day, and my next truck doesn't get here until the 27th, so I'll switch to making up some sawdust bags and straw logs.  My intention was to ramp up a shitload of grain spawn, and then refrigerate it while I sterilize the sawdust, and pasteurize the straw.

I have four AA 75X sterilizers, an AA 921 I use for agar and jars, and an AA 941 I hardly use at all except for soaking grain. I also have four food grade 55 gallon drums set up to pasteurize straw, using propane.  I'm working on a 5 psi steam sterilizer, using a 55 gallon drum.  Next summer if I have time, I'll build a wood fired sterilizer.  I already have the fire brick, mortar and an unlimited supply of firewood, so that's probably the way to go.
RR

i've been thinking of making a steam pasturizer out of  a few 5gal metal buckets. i get them at work they are laquer thinner buckets so i dont think they have any kind of liner and i'm hopeing the paint on the outside is high temp since it doesn't corrode from the thinner:shrug:

i was thinking of using a water heater element of some sort? i'm in the suburbs so i was thinking elec. may be the way yto go. i do have a fire pit but i don't know how long the bucket would hold up. plus i could run it in my shop without open flame.

if you see where i'm going with this, am i on the right track? are there products like this?

sorry if i'm getting off topic. i've been trying to follow your project. we are looking to buy a campground ( 2-5 years from now ) and we're looking for something with extra property to do somethinglike this. even though my skills, time and knowledge are limited (i do OK), i'm trying to scale up my projects as much as i can comfortably with a small house and still working for a living.

--------------------
Formula: 0:levitate: Formula: 1                                                                                                     
HCA               AMU
IN  LOVING  MEMORY

1.6.1917  -  4.3.2010

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSOUTHERN
NAIL DRIVER
 User Gallery

Loc: south
    #11847039 - 01/17/10 01:02 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

i figured u might say that. so i need to get some bags huh? or i'm gonna have a trillion jars lol.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Mountain mushroom farm [Re: SOUTHERN]
    #11849814 - 01/17/10 09:35 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Some types of 55 gallon drums have threaded caps, which I believe are exactly the size for water heater elements to screw into.  Search back a month or two in this forum.  Somebody made one that way.  If you're looking at 5 gallon size, I'd just get a large kettle and do it on the kitchen stove.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineurbanfarmer
l'estranger
    #11849969 - 01/17/10 10:00 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Some types of 55 gallon drums have threaded caps, which I believe are exactly the size for water heater elements to screw into.  Search back a month or two in this forum.  Somebody made one that way.  If you're looking at 5 gallon size, I'd just get a large kettle and do it on the kitchen stove.
RR

I've been hacking on that.  Pics soon.

...also, *goddamn* but lion's mane spawn grows much faster than their cultivator builds sterilization gear.

Invisibleartizen
JEFFERSONIAN
Male

#11854325 - 01/18/10 04:52 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

SOUTHERN said:
i figured u might say that. so i need to get some bags huh? or i'm gonna have a trillion jars lol.

i've bees doing it in the kitchen like in your vids. i can already do more like that than on the stove. i'm thinking more like 3 - 5gals. first one with water and element and next two packed with straw. i found a thermometer with a 12 - 18" stem that should reach close to the middle of the straw. i'd like to do enugh for 4-6 8x30 logs at a time.

i'll search around like you said. thanks, good to know i atleast have a viable idea.

--------------------
HCA               AMU
IN  LOVING  MEMORY

1.6.1917  -  4.3.2010

OfflineJabbawaya

#11856347 - 01/18/10 09:36 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Amazing work :handth:! What an ambitious project, I hope others follow your model. You're actually doing a lot of good for public health by bringing this food/medicine to the market :crazy2:.

--------------------

OfflineIsolatedwedge
Stranger

Re: Mountain mushroom farm [Re: Jabbawaya]
    #11858152 - 01/19/10 07:50 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

are 55gallon steam sterilyzers better than filling it up with liquid?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Mountain mushroom farm [Re: Isolatedwedge]
    #11859323 - 01/19/10 12:23 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

You couldn't fill it up with liquid if there were spawn bags in there.  The liquid would penetrate and ruin the mix.  I'll find out soon enough how it works on a commercial scale and post the results, good or bad.
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineSOUTHERN
NAIL DRIVER
 User Gallery

Loc: south
    #11861040 - 01/19/10 05:16 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

there is a utube video of a guy pasturizing in a 50 gallon plastic drum turned on its side. it has a water heater element in each end. looks like a good idea. if u go to utube and put in oyster mushroom it will come up i'm pretty sure.

Invisibleartizen
JEFFERSONIAN
Male

#11861518 - 01/19/10 06:32 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
HCA               AMU
IN  LOVING  MEMORY

1.6.1917  -  4.3.2010

Invisibleratdog
wild capture trader
Male User Gallery

Loc: Colorado mount. top
Re: Mountain mushroom farm [Re: artizen]
    #11861616 - 01/19/10 06:47 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

i use a crawfish pot or for you northern guys crab pot a big one with a basket that fits inside. i use rocks to keep the bottom up out of the water and steam the straw to 170 deg F then turn it off and on to maintain temp.

i then make my own bags

i prefer the smaller kind so it does not go bad in the middle so easy.

i use a homemade misting system and wet dry bulb too.

anyway the crawfish pot works well and the rocks seem to maintain the temp well too.

--------------------
some people just don't get it:spank:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11241796
so here is a video or two or three for you guys:rolleyes:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Mountain mushroom farm [Re: ratdog]
    #11861947 - 01/19/10 07:39 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

What size is that crab pot?  I like the insert.  It looks like it was made for our use.

I'm making a basket frame out of angle iron and covering it with hardware cloth, to fit in my 55 gallon drums.  I'm making a lower basket and an upper basket, since I'm too wimpy in my old age to lift 50 gallons of wet straw all at once. :wink:
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Invisibleartizen
JEFFERSONIAN
Male

#11862059 - 01/19/10 08:04 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
What size is that crab pot?  I like the insert.  It looks like it was made for our use.

I'm making a basket frame out of angle iron and covering it with hardware cloth, to fit in my 55 gallon drums.  I'm making a lower basket and an upper basket, since I'm too wimpy in my old age to lift 50 gallons of wet straw all at once. :wink:
RR

that's part of why i want to do steam pasturizing, the weight. you probobly got 15years on me but, i'm 140 soaking wet, 2 slipped disks and an artificial knee.  :crutches:

i looked at some of those crab pots, they were mostly 30qt.
what do think of this?

--------------------
HCA               AMU
IN  LOVING  MEMORY

1.6.1917  -  4.3.2010

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Mountain mushroom farm [Re: artizen]
    #11862132 - 01/19/10 08:17 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Even with that, you'd still have to soak the straw for at least a few hours to hydrate it, so it would be heavy to lift out.  I'll be using my barrels in a similar method to sterilize sawdust bags.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Invisibleratdog
wild capture trader
Male User Gallery

Loc: Colorado mount. top
    #11862157 - 01/19/10 08:20 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

i think its 80 + qts

Offlineloggin shrooms
Stranger
Re: Mountain mushroom farm [Re: ratdog]
    #11869896 - 01/20/10 11:51 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

RR  You got the fire brick and mortar -  well maybe I should pop down and build that sucker for you.  I've just retired from 40 years of building them (brick stone tile etc.)for other people.  I want to do a mixed market garden/mushroom organic thing as a retirement project. Who knows, maybe even a little aquaponics.  I've had pretty good success with all my shroom projects and attempts so far but figure I got just a little bit more to learn, maybe. 
Cowlitz, I like the link to the Farmery.  I have read a bit about vertical farming lately.  Integrated small scale farming can offer some real opportunity. Like any other business it will take the skill to produce the products and at the same time require  diligence and acumen to produce a working business plan. Not to mention start up cost etc.  Maybe that is where RR's model might have a benefit for others down the road. Association and cooperation with people producing other crops or products could yield some good results. Local farmers institues or such might be a place to start meeting others. I have just talked to a local flour mill about getting their bran (organic), they have just been giving it away to get rid of it! Plus the chickens love it = free eggs - sell those- buy more materials. Sort of similar to the two coffee shops where I pick up grounds for my compost.  Did you know that worms love coffee grounds and that worms are very high in protein and that chickens love worms?  =MORE FREE EGGS! I have an arrangement to clear the lake weeds, really easy, from the beach of a near by RV park, that too goes on the compost, and of course there is always cleaning up the cow and horse and sheep poop from farms around here.  Not exactly federal grant stuff but it is the basics and it all adds up.  See what's available and how it can be utilized and then start working on it.  Small projects have a way of growing.There are business models out there.
Noobie mentioned that he is going to talk to restaurants.  I am always pleased by peoples acceptance of farm gate or local products.  Locally produced food is getting a lot more press and acceptance all the time.  Lots of people are willing to pay for good quality and locally produced.
Anyway, bunny man I love the idea you are working on. And, if you ever need a hand, I know an old retire guy with 40 years of building experience that wants to learn a little more about what grows on shit.

InvisibleJef
Out-of-work Sex Slave
Male User Gallery

Loc: near Duncan, BC
Re: Mountain mushroom farm [Re: loggin shrooms]
    #11871783 - 01/21/10 11:47 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Would you have someone to your house who called you Bunny Man ?
You may choose only one

Votes accepted from (01/21/10 11:44 AM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

--------------------
I am my own lab rat.

Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I will remember.  Involve me and I will learn.

Invisibleartizen
JEFFERSONIAN
Male

Re: Mountain mushroom farm [Re: Jef]
    #11871801 - 01/21/10 11:50 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Jef said:

:lmafo:

--------------------
HCA               AMU
IN  LOVING  MEMORY

1.6.1917  -  4.3.2010

InvisibleJef
Out-of-work Sex Slave
Male User Gallery

Loc: near Duncan, BC
Re: Mountain mushroom farm [Re: loggin shrooms]
    #11871804 - 01/21/10 11:51 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Would you have someone to your house who called you Bunny Man ?
You may choose only one

Votes accepted from (01/21/10 11:44 AM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

--------------------
I am my own lab rat.

Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I will remember.  Involve me and I will learn.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Mountain mushroom farm [Re: Jef]
    #11874438 - 01/21/10 06:12 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

The fire brick is under three feet of snow, and I have a full pallet of mortar mix covered with plastic sheeting that looks like a giant snow drift.  That project will have to wait for June.

I may have posted this link to conservation innovative grants already, but it bears repeating. You guys need to write up some abstracts and submit them.  The worst they can say is 'no' and you'll have learned something about the process.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags