Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: The things people do for their grow that are a waste of time/money [Re: dicky21]
    #11676586 - 12/18/09 05:44 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

dicky21 said:
Quote:

With a gay lid.

LOLLLLLLL

I think we're going to need pics of the lid.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblejoska87
xenophobia
Male User Gallery

Loc: Idaho...No U Da Ho
Re: The things people do for their grow that are a waste of time/money [Re: jenns_hot]
    #11676794 - 12/18/09 06:15 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

jenns_hot said:
tub in tub incubators

:yesnod: :fishgun:

--------------------
When I was a boy i came across two nuns makin love in cave....That typa shit wont happen in the future...
:strokebeard:

Invisibletugwax
Anomaly
Male User Gallery

Loc: Little Britain
Re: The things people do for their grow that are a waste of time/money [Re: noobieshroomie]
    #11676916 - 12/18/09 06:36 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

noobieshroomie said:
i disagree with the lighting, try growing with
an incandescent light bulb and tell me ho well it turns out

also the wood chips, try growing on cedar and pine mixed
ant tell me those results as well

-noobie-

If heated air in an enclosed space can be eliminated then incandescent will work. There is quite a spread of blue spectra in incandescent.

Agreed that fluorescent is the WTG, just not to waste resources over the color temp which is misleading with fluoros anyway.

I did a side by side spawn run with pure beech compared to mixed woods from the English countryside including conifer. Mixed colonized significantly faster. I'll let you know next year how the mixed fruited.

Invisiblewygram
Myconaut

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The things people do for their grow that are a waste of time/money [Re: Cloneufc]
    #11676920 - 12/18/09 06:37 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Cloneufc said:
Just use manure and gypsum for the PF tek. Manure is free. No need to spend money on brown rice flour, its expensive. You dont even need verm. You'll get bigger mushrooms and wont cost anything.

How do you figure? Manure is a bulk substrate and as such it must be used in bulk. It won't produce much in a 1/2 pint jar, BRF and verm will rock manure in PF tek anyday. Not to mention you'll probably have a really shitty time starting spores directly on bulk.

Quote:

tugwax said:
Quote:

noobieshroomie said:
i disagree with the lighting, try growing with
an incandescent light bulb and tell me ho well it turns out

also the wood chips, try growing on cedar and pine mixed
ant tell me those results as well

-noobie-

If heated air in an enclosed space can be eliminated then incandescent will work. There is quite a spread of blue spectra in incandescent.

Agreed that fluorescent is the WTG, just not to waste resources over the color temp which is misleading with fluoros anyway.

Noobie has this right. Incandescents are crap as a source of light and they have totally the wrong spectrum. Fluorescent ratings are not misleading. You want cool white or daylight color temps, which put off the blue light that mushrooms wants.

--------------------
Changing your mind is one of the best ways of finding out whether or not you still have one.

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Not Too Sure Flag
Re: The things people do for their grow that are a waste of time/money [Re: Doc_T]
    #11677054 - 12/18/09 07:03 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Doc_T said:
Quote:

dicky21 said:
Quote:

With a gay lid.

LOLLLLLLL

i googled gay lid:lmafo:
http://www.lidbrooklyn.org/

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:
not sure what GE and FAE are but i should probably get some.

Citric said:
Your signature is wrong on colonization temps!

GOOD JUDGMENT COMES FROM EXPERIENCE
EXPERIENCE COMES FROM BAD JUDGMENT

ROOM TEMP 70-75 IS BEST FOR COLONIZATION
Thank you mycochef

Offlinesansa

Re: The things people do for their grow that are a waste of time/money [Re: tugwax]
    #11677254 - 12/18/09 07:37 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

tugwax said:

I did a side by side spawn run with pure beech compared to mixed woods from the English countryside including conifer. Mixed colonized significantly faster. I'll let you know next year how the mixed fruited.

The charts suggest incandescents have very little in the blue spectrum.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.edinformatics.com/inventions_inventors/300px-Incandescent_flashlight_spectrum.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.edinformatics.com/inventions_inventors/flashlight.htm&h=232&w=300&sz=5&tbnid=v_nkSdo6sDcwvM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dincandescent%2Bspectrum&usg=__-zdjPNKd84SlfRI7Mmq3q5JYULc=&ei=7zssS--WJMXSngfxwtTuCA&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=3&ct=image&ved=0CAoQ9QEwAg

Invisiblebadman
Male User Gallery

Re: The things people do for their grow that are a waste of time/money [Re: sansa]
    #11677330 - 12/18/09 07:51 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Wood chips cmon a fiver for 56L id pay that just so i dont have to trek it to the Kent countryside to collect some and ringing the council for wood mulch is fucking long in fact dealing with the council is long no matter what you to do.

Manure is only dried so it can be stored

Invisibleambargh
 User Gallery

Re: The things people do for their grow that are a waste of time/money [Re: sansa]
    #11677336 - 12/18/09 07:53 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Weak, little red-spectrum incandescent bulb, or badass mother F'n blue-spectrum daylight bulbs - your choice.

--------------------
"The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.." - Douglas Adams

ambargh's easy agar

Invisibletugwax
Anomaly
Male User Gallery

Re: The things people do for their grow that are a waste of time/money [Re: badman]
    #11677552 - 12/18/09 08:34 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

badman said:
Wood chips cmon a fiver for 56L id pay that just so i dont have to trek it to the Kent countryside to collect some and ringing the council for wood mulch is fucking long in fact dealing with the council is long no matter what you to do.

Ah you haven't covered much of your garden then. It's £30 for 3000L The other side of the tunnel.

--------------------
Freedom is as great as one's tolerance for ambiguity.
--------------------

Invisiblebadman
Male User Gallery

Re: The things people do for their grow that are a waste of time/money [Re: tugwax]
    #11677572 - 12/18/09 08:37 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

badman said:

Quote:

tugwax said:
Ah you haven't covered much of your garden then. It's £30 for 3000L The other side of the tunnel.

You got a phone number?

Invisibletugwax
Anomaly
Male User Gallery

Re: The things people do for their grow that are a waste of time/money [Re: badman]
    #11677685 - 12/18/09 08:59 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

badman said:
You got a phone number?

http://www.treefella.co.uk/
Dont forget to take a truck!

Offline4trouble
Stranger
Re: The things people do for their grow that are a waste of time/money [Re: Doc_T]
    #11679282 - 12/19/09 06:00 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Doc_T said:
Quote:

dicky21 said:
Quote:

With a gay lid.

LOLLLLLLL

Like this?

Offlinedxharms
Confidential Informant
Male User Gallery

Loc: Low Places
Re: The things people do for their grow that are a waste of time/money [Re: 4trouble]
    #11679482 - 12/19/09 08:04 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

:rotfl: nice pink ribbon. you keep your mycelium fresh.

--------------------
<----obeys all laws and never questions authority.

mystery mush n ?

OfflineVictoriaPandora
Slave to the Search
Female User Gallery

Loc: Middle of Nowhere
Re: The things people do for their grow that are a waste of time/money [Re: dxharms]
    #11679543 - 12/19/09 08:34 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Man, I hope no noobs read this. Glove box is a waste of time. Surgical mask, waste of money.
Making manure PF cakes, not providing the right light. Wow.

I agree incubators are a waste though.Oh and spraying lysol before fanning, yeah not only a waste but bound to make your fruits unhappy I would think.

Awww, that gay lid is cute;)

Edited by VictoriaPandora (12/19/09 08:35 AM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #11679615 - 12/19/09 09:01 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

tugwax said:
Here's the beginnings of list of things that I've read in the forum that aren't really necessary or involves excessive expense. Please add your own!

Trying to find lights with just the right color temperature.

Agreed, provided that a 50% or better increase in harvest weight for the next five or six years isn't worth a couple of quid/$3 for the correct spectrum lamp.  For most of us, the payoff on buying a natural daylight fluorescent or LED lamp comes on the very first harvest.

Quote:

tugwax said:
Automatic moisture delivery or FAE for a small grow. I myself fell into this OTT solution for just 9 cakes. Even though it was successful I soon reverted to manual methods with greater yield. Now the timers, air pump and fogger are gathering dust, £70 wasted.

Agreed. Been saying it for years regarding terrariums.  Save the humidifiers and timers for a mini-greenhouse.

Quote:

tugwax said:
  • Trying to find hardwood chips when any old mixed stuff will do.

• Not so.  While softwoods will colonize faster because they're less dense, fruiting performance is substantially reduced.  Mixed woods are OK if the majority of material comes from hardwood sources, with just a few conifers tossed in.  If you want to use Pine, chip it up and let it sit in the sun for a year before use.  However, it will still underperform hardwood.
    RR

--------------------
    Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
    Thomas Edison

Invisiblebadman
    Male User Gallery

#11679648 - 12/19/09 09:12 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

tugwax said:
    Quote:

badman said:
    You got a phone number?

http://www.treefella.co.uk/
    Dont forget to take a truck!

Good link but i think a truck load is way too much 56L will keep me occupied for months. It would be useful for a commercial grow op.

OfflineCloneufc
    Master Exploder!
    Male

Loc: Las Vegas Flag
    Re: The things people do for their grow that are a waste of time/money [Re: wygram]
        #11680007 - 12/19/09 10:38 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

wygram said:
    Quote:

Cloneufc said:
    Just use manure and gypsum for the PF tek. Manure is free. No need to spend money on brown rice flour, its expensive. You dont even need verm. You'll get bigger mushrooms and wont cost anything.

How do you figure? Manure is a bulk substrate and as such it must be used in bulk. It won't produce much in a 1/2 pint jar, BRF and verm will rock manure in PF tek anyday. Not to mention you'll probably have a really shitty time starting spores directly on bulk.

Sorry to burst your bubble but cubes will grow on anything. Ive done the PF tek with BRF and it was a waste of time. I did the PF tek many times with just manure and gypsum. There was no difference in speed but there was a difference in the size. The manure cubes were bigger.I have yet to see any substrate beat manure. I have even done the PF with just straw. Cube spores germinate all the same no matter what substrate you use. I have even used quart jars with just manure as spawn and everything turned out just fine. Cubes are just not particular. Until you have tried these experiments you cant talk, your just pointing fingers.

Edited by Cloneufc (12/19/09 10:39 AM)

Offlinebw86
    Doesn't play well with others

Loc: 7b
    Trusted Cultivator
    Re: The things people do for their grow that are a waste of time/money [Re: joska87]
        #11680057 - 12/19/09 10:48 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

joska87 said:
    Quote:

jenns_hot said:
    tub in tub incubators

:yesnod: :fishgun:

tits work
    and have saved my jars in times of (no money for oil)
    but they can also be horrible- when the heat is back on )
    they do hold there place in mycology

Invisibletugwax
    Anomaly
    Male User Gallery

Re: The things people do for their grow that are a waste of time/money [Re: RogerRabbit]
        #11680213 - 12/19/09 11:16 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
    Quote:

tugwax said:
    Here's the beginnings of list of things that I've read in the forum that aren't really necessary or involves excessive expense. Please add your own!

Trying to find lights with just the right color temperature.

Agreed, provided that a 50% or better increase in harvest weight for the next five or six years isn't worth a couple of quid/$3 for the correct spectrum lamp.  For most of us, the payoff on buying a natural daylight fluorescent or LED lamp comes on the very first harvest.

Suppose we examine two types of tube, a warm white and a daylight.
    Both tubes have the same blue end phosphors but the warm white has extra red end phosphor cocktails to bring the color temperature down.

Is consensus saying this extra red output somehow negates the effect of the blue for the mushroom?

Offlinedgls_jms
    festival follower

#11680285 - 12/19/09 11:33 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

id say a glovebox is a waste considering i never use one and rarely if ever get a contamination

I agree, I do all my work on a cookie sheet, door open to a hot oven. Is a little warm but hasn't failed me yet.

--------------------
    Not that you lied to me, but that I no longer believe you has shaken me.

"I have done that" says my memory. "I cannot have done that" says my pride, and remains inexorable. Eventually - memory yields.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract