Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Boomr Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleswimmingfast

Simple Mini-Monotub Tek * 2
    #11535594 - 11/27/09 01:42 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

This is something I thought of for "simple" mushroom cultivation. It's a foil tub with plastic lid with holes in it for FAE. During colonization foil is used as the lid, not the plastic lid.

I have been working with this Tek for many grows during the previous two years. Recently I have written-out this Tek in MSword-format and attached it to this thread, enjoy.

Edited by swimmingfast (03/25/12 04:13 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblenachohippie
asshole
Male User Gallery

Loc: right around the corner Flag
Re: Simple Mini-Monotub Tek [Re: swimmingfast]
    #11535610 - 11/27/09 01:51 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

cool ideawhere did u get the lids??

--------------------

send guns, money ,lawyers, and drugs its been a long night

everything i post is a lie im a pathological liar

Invisibleswimmingfast

Re: Simple Mini-Monotub Tek [Re: nachohippie]
    #11535638 - 11/27/09 02:06 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

The lids are sold with the foil tub. I picked it up at a local superstore.

Edited by swimmingfast (03/03/13 08:35 PM)

OfflineShaggy Shaman
Divine Conduit
Male User Gallery

Loc: United States Flag
    #11536610 - 11/27/09 10:37 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Oh yeah.  I like this.  Perfect for doing small experiments or testing isolates. I would rate you for this if I could. :lol:

--------------------
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
— Tom Robbins

“The true value of a human being can be found in the degree to which he has attained liberation from the self"
-- Albert Einstein

Invisiblexbrandnewxsnowx
Curious?
 User Gallery

Re: Simple Mini-Monotub Tek *DELETED* [Re: Shaggy Shaman]
    #11536656 - 11/27/09 10:54 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Post deleted by xbrandnewxsnowx

Reason for deletion: .

--------------------
Trade Me!

Some of my favorite fungi. All pictures are my own.

Offlinegornyhuy
A Myth Intrepidly Met
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Re: Simple Mini-Monotub Tek [Re: xbrandnewxsnowx]
    #11537635 - 11/27/09 02:17 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

You could probably use a section of trashbag or some other plastic as a tub liner for that to prevent the myc-eats-aluminum problem. 

Keep us posted on how it works! :sun:

--------------------
:mushroom2:Bulk Grow Substrate Calculator Spreadsheet - Download :heartpump: Thread:mushroom2:
*Downloaded over 3,500 times!* Also try the DMT Changa Mix Calculator

Stonesun's Amazing Sclerotia/Stones Guide:mushroom2:Vasodilator List:mushroom2:Niacinamide - reduce trip anxiety

Offlinescifipirate
Jug Fuckler
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL Flag
Re: Simple Mini-Monotub Tek [Re: gornyhuy]
    #11537781 - 11/27/09 02:37 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I'm using that exact same foil tray, it came with 2. I spawned some CC to Hpoo in one a few days a go. I'm not sure if I'm gonna fruit in my FC or just let it do it's thing, maybe put some holes in it like you did:thumbup:

Offlinecowfodder
banged your mom.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Simple Mini-Monotub Tek [Re: scifipirate]
    #11537852 - 11/27/09 02:48 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I like it, especially being able to pasteurize in the same tray. Might take a little work to get the oven at the right temp though. Maybe put it in with the oven off, set for the lowest setting, add a temp probe and turn the oven off at like 130 degrees and let carry-over bring it up to 140-160.

--------------------
"“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the Weather.""
—Bill Hicks

:guitarhero:

OfflineNoBrainNoPain
Enthusiast noob

Loc: here
Re: Simple Mini-Monotub Tek [Re: scifipirate]
    #11537898 - 11/27/09 02:55 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Nice idea, but I would try to "shotgun" that lid rather than having big holes stuffed, mainly for aesthetic reasons…

Yeah, design matters…:wink:

I think Veda made several of these mini double tubs with long cuttings in the lids for FAE, seems to work pretty well.

--------------------
I would love a woodlover's print… PM If you have one and want to trade

OfflineNoBrainNoPain
Enthusiast noob

Loc: here
Re: Simple Mini-Monotub Tek [Re: cowfodder]
    #11537945 - 11/27/09 03:02 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

cowfodder said:
I like it, especially being able to pasteurize in the same tray. Might take a little work to get the oven at the right temp though. Maybe put it in with the oven off, set for the lowest setting, add a temp probe and turn the oven off at like 130 degrees and let carry-over bring it up to 140-160.

I would think a "bain-marie" pasteurization would be easier, more effective, and don't ruin the moisture. Close your foil tub with it's foil lid, stick a thermometer in it, put it in a warm water bath at proper temp during one hour, and voilà :grin:

--------------------
I would love a woodlover's print… PM If you have one and want to trade

Offlinenexus1946
Rebel
 User Gallery

Loc: In the moment
    #11537969 - 11/27/09 03:06 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Nice! :super:

--------------------
Gypsum/Drywall Tek
The Story Of Russell The Texas (Cube) Bear

The human race's prospects of survival were considerably better when we were defenceless against tigers than they are today when we have become defenceless against ourselves.
-Arnold J. Toynbee

Offlinenexus1946
Rebel
 User Gallery

Re: Simple Mini-Monotub Tek [Re: cowfodder]
    #11537998 - 11/27/09 03:11 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

cowfodder said:

Not a good idea to pasteurize in the oven. You run the risk of 'baking' your substrate and loosing proper water content.

--------------------
Gypsum/Drywall Tek

The human race's prospects of survival were considerably better when we were defenceless against tigers than they are today when we have become defenceless against ourselves.
-Arnold J. Toynbee

Invisibleswimmingfast

Re: Simple Mini-Monotub Tek [Re: nexus1946]
    #11546122 - 11/28/09 10:51 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I suppose oven pasteurizing is a little risky, but I didn't have any big problems with moisture content after baking my trays (I've done 8 so far). Colonization of 100% was achieved in a week and then cased. It appears that I had decent moisture after I mixed the spawn because the WBS is kind of wet. Also, keep in mind that I purposely adjust my substrate's field capacity a little more than it should be before baking it to account for the displacement the oven-baking method may impose.

---My Oven Baking method---
Notes: Increase field capacity a little more than usual.
1) Preheat oven to 300 F.
2) Place trays with foil lids into oven with meat thermometers poked through the foil lid into the bottom to the substrate.
3)Once the substrate reaches 170-180F turn heat to 170-180 and cook the substrate between these temperatures (170-180F) for one hour. Make sure not to cook over 185 that long because I've read that toxins are released from the substrate - especially soil/poop.
4) After the hour of cooking at (170-180F) turn off the oven or move the trays to a different place to cool down. I wait over night usually or at least about 7hrs.
---------------------------

I suppose the holes for FAE can be different. I should make them rectangular and narrow like someone mentioned and place them across the bottom closer to the substrate surface. If FAE isn't great with the setup now I can always fan regularly - it's not like I have many of these, just 4. I can always get extra lids and redo them before I begin to fruit. Does anyone think a bunch of regular smaller "not polyfilled-holes" would work as well?

Invisibleswimmingfast

#12150917 - 03/05/10 09:07 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Behold, the Mini-Monotub tek is a success. If you're an amateur grower and have limited space it is the perfect setup! All you have to do is spray the casing and inside the lid once or twice a day and wahh-lahh! It could probably even withstand a couple days of neglect, especially if you make less holes in the lid to increase humidity.
Despite the original setup (the lid with polyfil in the holes) I changed the lid to small open-holes only (since the polyfil would interfere with the growth inside). The tiny holes were made with a soldering iron (poked through quite easily).

These trays were in open air just sitting in the middle of the room near the window - but you can easily just let them sit in a dark closet. Each 13"x9"x4" tray yields approximately 1-2oz of dried (legal) mushrooms.

Inoculate: 1-qt colonized WBS per tray.
Substrate: 95% Straw 5% Compost (cow manure) (pasteurized @ field capacity in oven, get substrate between 170-180F and maintain that temp for an hour)
Casing: a thin layer (about a finger tip) of 50/50. sometimes I add a little gypsum, but have never seen massive differences.

Offlinenexus1946
Rebel
 User Gallery

#12152172 - 03/06/10 02:58 AM (14 years, 26 days ago)

Looks good man! :super:

Glad it worked out for ya'!

--------------------
Gypsum/Drywall Tek

-Arnold J. Toynbee

OfflineAradar
GuyOnTheCouch

Re: Simple Mini-Monotub Tek [Re: nexus1946]
    #12206256 - 03/15/10 01:08 PM (14 years, 17 days ago)

I LOVE the way that looks im trying this as soon as my cakes are spent

Grats looks fantastic :thumbup::mushroom2:

--------------------
:rockon::regularshroom:

Once you have eaten a magic mushroom you will dream. When you wake up the dream never ends, what you do with that dream is the real magic.

DISCLAIMER * I do not, in any way, shape or form buy, sell, trade, cultivate, manufacture or use ANY illegal or questionable substance. Any and all postings made from my trade name or user name is purely for entertainment purposes. Any pictures uploaded under my trade name or user name have been created by artificial means and/or from images gathered from the internet and other sources. ANY STATEMENTS MADE ARE FORMED FROM THEORY AND REGURGITATED FROM SOURCES FOUND ON THE INTERNET AND/OR BOOKS, MEDIA AND FILMS, and should not, in any way, be considered truth

OfflinePsuper
Psilocybin

Loc: PNW
    #12206319 - 03/15/10 01:22 PM (14 years, 17 days ago)

You did get a decent harvest for a single jar of spawn.....
however this isn't much like a mono-tub and it is simply not one if it requires maintenance and has this different hole design.

Quote:

swimmingfast said:
The foil trays sometimes get tiny holes during colonization because something eats away at the material....

Yeah.  The mycelium.

I fail to see the point in using a FC or even trays that aren't re-usable.  If needed, just some black plastic as a liner is cheaper than more foil trays/liners.

You would probably get better results with less effort by using a couple or few quarts of spawn in a 5gallon bucket project. ~P~

--------------------
Clinical Management of High Dose Psilocybin Sessions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbHOTIqjZLk

OfflineMaruta
Acolyte
    #12458748 - 04/26/10 09:53 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Holy crap this is genius. It is basically a disposable shotgun monotub that you don't need powertools to make holes in.

Have you had any further success using this style of container?

--------------------
All threads, replies, posts, and material made by this account are fictitious and not to be taken literally.

Offlinelibertaire
liberator
Male

Re: Simple Mini-Monotub Tek [Re: Maruta]
    #12458760 - 04/26/10 09:57 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Incredibly genius, thanks for bumping this!

OfflineMad Hatter 2010
Male User Gallery

Loc: Down some rabbit hole. Flag
Re: Simple Mini-Monotub Tek [Re: libertaire]
    #12458807 - 04/26/10 10:09 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Hmmm...I like this mini-monotub.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Boomr Bag