Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineemptyvessal
A New Friend?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth
Testing Testing 123...Humidity and Digital Hygrometer
    #11431147 - 11/11/09 03:36 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Darth Vader has built a fruitation chamber which he is testing it has a bubble stone in it run from a pump. After 20 mins or so the hygrometer reads 99%. Now he did the salt test and it read 75%  he also did the wrap it in a damp towel test and it read 99%, so he is wondering is he good to go?? As he has read alot of people (rr) saying digital meters are not accurate maybe i just got a good one? Is there another way of gauging humidity by eye ? Just to be sure .

Darth feels your presents (no your not getting a HEPA filter for xmas!)... and awaits your help :ooo:

--------------------
Formula: 0

For Organic Mushroom Extracts Please Visit :smile:
Vitalherbs.co.uk

"Every failure is the price of tuition I have paid to learn my next lesson."

Paul Stamets

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleavorg
Quixotic
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Testing Testing 123...Humidity and Digital Hygrometer [Re: emptyvessal]
    #11431207 - 11/11/09 04:20 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

you should be fine, I have a digital meter and it's good enough for me(and many others)

is there any condensation on the walls of your FC? if so then you're good to go.

Offlineemptyvessal
A New Friend?
Male User Gallery

Re: Testing Testing 123...Humidity and Digital Hygrometer [Re: avorg]
    #11431221 - 11/11/09 04:32 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

avorg said:
you should be fine, I have a digital meter and it's good enough for me(and many others)

is there any condensation on the walls of your FC? if so then you're good to go.

the tub isnt see through but when i rub fingers on it i guess its a tiny bit damp but not much at all. Once i have substrate inside i imagine this is gona add to humidity right? 

thanks for response

--------------------

Vitalherbs.co.uk

Paul Stamets

Invisibleavorg
Quixotic
Folding@home Statistics
    #11431241 - 11/11/09 04:42 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

what are you using for humidity?

Offlineemptyvessal
A New Friend?
Male User Gallery

#11431250 - 11/11/09 04:44 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Darth is using a bubble stone and a aquarium pump , he has a reading now of 89%  again this is just a empty tub with just the bubble stone running......

--------------------

Vitalherbs.co.uk

Paul Stamets

Invisibleavorg
Quixotic
Folding@home Statistics
    #11431258 - 11/11/09 04:48 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

once everything is in place it'll be fine. mist a few times a day if you want, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Invisibledancefloordale
Research Assistant

#11431289 - 11/11/09 05:00 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Why not just use the force to raise the humidity?

--------------------
Everything posted by the user dancefloordale, aside from what is written in this here clause is completely and utterly fictitious, despite any information read (or seen), above (or below) that might lead you to believe otherwise.

Hydra Tek - A detailed guide, for newest to the most skilled cultivators.

HCA

Bulk growing made easy-discussion
Bulk Growing Made Easy

Invisibleavorg
Quixotic
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Testing Testing 123...Humidity and Digital Hygrometer [Re: dancefloordale]
    #11431292 - 11/11/09 05:00 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I think he's gone to the dark side...

Offlineemptyvessal
A New Friend?
Male User Gallery

Re: Testing Testing 123...Humidity and Digital Hygrometer [Re: dancefloordale]
    #11431297 - 11/11/09 05:03 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

dancefloordale said:
Why not just use the force to raise the humidity?

He tried this but his incubator melted!

--------------------

Vitalherbs.co.uk

Paul Stamets

Offlineemptyvessal
A New Friend?
Male User Gallery

#11431320 - 11/11/09 05:12 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

This is off topic but do any of you guys know how to heat a fruiting chamber cheaply? Darth was gona heat his room with a convection heater (750w-2kw) but it looks like this is gona cost a fortune! Being on the death star it is very cold in space!

Halagen lamp/bulb of some kind aimed at chamber bad idea?
Old fridge seems like a good way with bulb in it to heat it as the fridge is well insulated but obtaining one the right size to fit in darths room might be hard. Any other ideas ?  wooden box/small wardrobe with tub inside and lamp ?

Basicaly need the cheapest way that works!

Thanks for help . Darth Loves you in all the wrong ways :crazy2:

--------------------

Vitalherbs.co.uk

Paul Stamets

Offlineemptyvessal
A New Friend?
Male User Gallery

#11431323 - 11/11/09 05:13 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

emptyvessal said:
This is off topic but do any of you guys know how to heat a fruiting chamber cheaply? Darth was gona heat his room with a convection heater (750w-2kw) but it looks like this is gona cost a fortune! Being on the death star it is very cold in space!

Halagen lamp/bulb of some kind aimed at chamber bad idea?
Old fridge seems like a good way with bulb in it to heat it as the fridge is well insulated but obtaining one the right size to fit in darths room might be hard. Any other ideas ?  wooden box/small wardrobe with tub inside and lamp ?

Basicaly need the cheapest way that works!

BUT ISNT GONA BURN THE DEATH STAR DOWN!

Thanks for help . Darth Loves you in all the wrong ways :crazy2:

--------------------

Vitalherbs.co.uk

Paul Stamets

Invisibleavorg
Quixotic
Folding@home Statistics
    #11431329 - 11/11/09 05:17 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

put a folded blanket over it. this has raised my temps between 5 and 10°F.

Offlineemptyvessal
A New Friend?
Male User Gallery

#11431352 - 11/11/09 05:35 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

avorg said:
put a folded blanket over it. this has raised my temps between 5 and 10�F.

Ok thanks will try that!

--------------------

Vitalherbs.co.uk

Paul Stamets

OfflineBoris
Viking Warrior, of Valour
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: TX. Flag
    #11431381 - 11/11/09 05:48 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

avorg said:

Condensation on the inside walls does not indicate adequate levels of humidity for growing mushrooms.

Quote:

Condensation on a surface indicates a temperature differential across that surface.  My glass of iced tea will have condensation on it even if I'm in Phoenix, AZ or the Sahara Desert in the middle of summer.  Now, in each of those places the ambient humidity is 10% or less, but condensation still forms.  Why?  Because there is above zero percent humidity and a temperature differential.  There would be no condensation form in outer space.

The above being said, condensation represents moisture that USED to be suspended in the air, but is no more due to the temperature differential which causes the air at the surface to be cooled to its dew point, thus forming condensation.  This moisture does not indicate in any way, shape or form that there is sufficient moisture in the air to grow mushrooms.

Condensation is not a representation of high humidity.  A sealed monotub will have condensation during colonization because the mycelium is producing heat as it feeds on the substrate, therefore the air in the monotub is warmer than the air outside.  Condensation always forms on the warm side of a surface where there is a temperature differential.  Anyone who has watched brf or grain jars colonize has noticed condensation inside the glass.  That's because it's warmer inside the jar than outside.

--------------------
AMU

Terence McKenna Said:
"We have to create culture, don't watch TV, don't read magazines, don't even listen to NPR. Create your own roadshow. The nexus of space and time where you are now is the most immediate sector of your universe, and if you're worrying about Michael Jackson or Bill Clinton or somebody else, then you are disempowered, you're giving it all away to icons, icons which are maintained by an electronic media so that you want to dress like X or have lips like Y. This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking. That is all cultural diversion, and what is real is you and your friends and your associations, your highs, your orgasms, your hopes, your plans, your fears. And we are told 'no', we're unimportant, we're peripheral. 'Get a degree, get a job, get a this, get a that.' And then you're a player, you don't want to even play in that game. You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that's being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world."

Offlineemptyvessal
A New Friend?
Male User Gallery

Re: Testing Testing 123...Humidity and Digital Hygrometer [Re: Boris]
    #11431403 - 11/11/09 06:00 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Boris said:
Quote:

avorg said:

Condensation on the inside walls does not indicate adequate levels of humidity for growing mushrooms.

Quote:

Condensation on a surface indicates a temperature differential across that surface.  My glass of iced tea will have condensation on it even if I'm in Phoenix, AZ or the Sahara Desert in the middle of summer.  Now, in each of those places the ambient humidity is 10% or less, but condensation still forms.  Why?  Because there is above zero percent humidity and a temperature differential.  There would be no condensation form in outer space.

The above being said, condensation represents moisture that USED to be suspended in the air, but is no more due to the temperature differential which causes the air at the surface to be cooled to its dew point, thus forming condensation.  This moisture does not indicate in any way, shape or form that there is sufficient moisture in the air to grow mushrooms.

Condensation is not a representation of high humidity.  A sealed monotub will have condensation during colonization because the mycelium is producing heat as it feeds on the substrate, therefore the air in the monotub is warmer than the air outside.  Condensation always forms on the warm side of a surface where there is a temperature differential.  Anyone who has watched brf or grain jars colonize has noticed condensation inside the glass.  That's because it's warmer inside the jar than outside.

Ok so do i trust my hygrometer? Or get new one or when growing make sure i spray regulary?
I am sure practice will allow me to know when things are at right levals .......

--------------------

Vitalherbs.co.uk

Paul Stamets

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #11431461 - 11/11/09 06:26 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

emptyvessal said:
Now he did the salt test and it read 75%  he also did the wrap it in a damp towel test and it read 99%, so he is wondering is he good to go??

You got a good one!

Electronic devices can easily and cheaply be accurate, it's not that surprising. (It's just that they can be crap just as easily.)
Don't kill it by leaving it in humidity all the time- get things dialed in, then take it out to room air.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

OfflineBoris
Viking Warrior, of Valour
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: TX. Flag
    #11431481 - 11/11/09 06:34 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

emptyvessal said:
Ok so do i trust my hygrometer? Or get new one or when growing make sure i spray regulary?
I am sure practice will allow me to know when things are at right levals .......

I wouldn't trust any digital hygrometer(My self personally), and neither should Darth Vader. I first bought one when I was a nooby. It turned out to have imprecise readings, and eventually the humidity's moisture got to the insides and it broke/shorted out/rusted up. You can receive a proper hygrometer from just about any pet supply store (In the lizard/hermit crab supply section). A store like Petsmart, Petco, ect...

When you receive one, wrap it in a wet cloth, wait about 10-15 mins, then take it out and quickly locate the adjustment screw on the backside (Center):

with a small slotted screwdriver (Example: A screwdriver on the scale for repairing glasses) Adjust the needle to read 100% on the dot, and now you will have a perfectly tuned hygrometer. Adequate for gaging humidity levels for mushrooms cultivation.

--------------------
AMU

Terence McKenna Said:
"We have to create culture, don't watch TV, don't read magazines, don't even listen to NPR. Create your own roadshow. The nexus of space and time where you are now is the most immediate sector of your universe, and if you're worrying about Michael Jackson or Bill Clinton or somebody else, then you are disempowered, you're giving it all away to icons, icons which are maintained by an electronic media so that you want to dress like X or have lips like Y. This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking. That is all cultural diversion, and what is real is you and your friends and your associations, your highs, your orgasms, your hopes, your plans, your fears. And we are told 'no', we're unimportant, we're peripheral. 'Get a degree, get a job, get a this, get a that.' And then you're a player, you don't want to even play in that game. You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that's being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world."

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #11431514 - 11/11/09 06:50 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Boris said:
I wouldn't trust any digital hygrometer(My self personally),

Your choice.

Quote:

Boris said:
and neither should Darth Vader.

Why?
(Edit- not really arguing. But that needs some fleshing out, please.)

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #11431529 - 11/11/09 06:58 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

if you build a shotgun terrarium, exactly like the tek on it. You can be pretty certain that yoiur fruiting conditions are going to be good. And not have to worry too much about measuring RH.

You dont have to use any of that swim, my pet, darth vader, FOAF etc.

Heating a fruiting chamber directly isnt a good idea. Condensation is the result of the inside temp being higher than the outside. The walls will be colder than the air temp inside and that allows moisture to condense out of the air. With substrate in your terrarium and from the lights above there will be a slight differential and you will get a little condensation, but the higher the difference, more moisture will condense out of the air and that can have an effect on humidity.

You can move your light closer to the terrarium to raise the temparutare slightly wihtout causing problems, and thats enough during the on cycle if it its not drasticly cold.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineVictoriaPandora
Slave to the Search
Female User Gallery

Loc: Middle of Nowhere
Re: Testing Testing 123...Humidity and Digital Hygrometer [Re: Doc_T]
    #11431562 - 11/11/09 07:22 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

LOL, are you the guy that interviewed Darth on the "Shroom With a View" podcast?
http://ashroomwithaview.podomatic.com/entry/2009-10-07T12_00_00-07_00
It's going to be on episode 2 which is due out any day now.

As far as the digital hygrometers I haven't heard anything but bad news about them regarding your particular undertaking. Maybe they're fine for cigars or something.

Offlineemptyvessal
A New Friend?
Male User Gallery

#11431700 - 11/11/09 08:15 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Boris said:
Quote:

emptyvessal said:

I wouldn't trust any digital hygrometer(My self personally), and neither should Darth Vader. I first bought one when I was a nooby. It turned out to have imprecise readings, and eventually the humidity's moisture got to the insides and it broke/shorted out/rusted up. You can receive a proper hygrometer from just about any pet supply store (In the lizard/hermit crab supply section). A store like Petsmart, Petco, ect...

When you receive one, wrap it in a wet cloth, wait about 10-15 mins, then take it out and quickly locate the adjustment screw on the backside (Center):

with a small slotted screwdriver (Example: A screwdriver on the scale for repairing glasses) Adjust the needle to read 100% on the dot, and now you will have a perfectly tuned hygrometer. Adequate for gaging humidity levels for mushrooms cultivation.

Will get a analog one to and me and Darth will have a hygrometer fight to the death!
I'm a analog boy in a digital world.

--------------------

Vitalherbs.co.uk

Paul Stamets

Offlineemptyvessal
A New Friend?
Male User Gallery

Re: Testing Testing 123...Humidity and Digital Hygrometer [Re: VictoriaPandora]
    #11431708 - 11/11/09 08:17 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

VictoriaPandora said:
LOL, are you the guy that interviewed Darth on the "Shroom With a View" podcast?
http://ashroomwithaview.podomatic.com/entry/2009-10-07T12_00_00-07_00
It's going to be on episode 2 which is due out any day now.

As far as the digital hygrometers I haven't heard anything but bad news about them regarding your particular undertaking. Maybe they're fine for cigars or something.

Nope he is the other one

--------------------

Vitalherbs.co.uk

Paul Stamets

OfflineVictoriaPandora
Slave to the Search
Female User Gallery

#11433926 - 11/11/09 02:54 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Ohhh, the other one, haha I was gonna say it sounded like Darth knew what he was doing in the interview.

I only just today got an analog hygrometer, it was only 12.50 dollars.
Getting ready to calibrate it right now. Even though I have done several grows without one at all I am trying to streamline things a little because my job is going to call me away more hours now. Before, I could babysit a lot more.

I expected it to be a lot more expensive, it looks well made and the old guy at the cigar shop said he'd had it around for years because everyone has gone digital, so maybe I got lucky and it was really well made and not too expensive to boot.

Offlinetelekid
very gnar

#11434037 - 11/11/09 03:11 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

The digitals are completely accurate, they just aren't designed to be exposed to such high humidity/misting. They'll give you good readings, but could potentially crap out after a month or so.

I like the guys idea of getting your RH up to where you want it, then taking the digital out. Maybe check it every once in a while.

--------------------

my easy lids

Offlineemptyvessal
A New Friend?
Male User Gallery

Re: Testing Testing 123...Humidity and Digital Hygrometer [Re: telekid]
    #11438614 - 11/12/09 03:09 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

telekid said:
The digitals are completely accurate, they just aren't designed to be exposed to such high humidity/misting. They'll give you good readings, but could potentially crap out after a month or so.

I like the guys idea of getting your RH up to where you want it, then taking the digital out. Maybe check it every once in a while.

well i bought a cheap analog one to do a test it seems my exxo terra digital is fine until it gets into the high 80-90s and gets jammed and only moves after u take it out and allow it too dry a bit so it is accurate up to the point where I need it to be the most accurate eg above 80-100.  But yep will use it and take it after each reading until i get a nice analog one :smile:

--------------------

Vitalherbs.co.uk

Paul Stamets

OfflineVictoriaPandora
Slave to the Search
Female User Gallery

#11439966 - 11/12/09 11:29 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

http://ashroomwithaview.podomatic.com/
Sroom With a View episode two is out today. The Darth interview is at 28 minutes in. Before that though, lot's of great grow info!

The analog hygrometer I got yesterday seems to work great. I guess all this time I really didn't think my FC was humid enough, but the hygrometer indicates it is.

I've been pumping humidity in with a cool mist vaporizer this grow. Seems like I was always drenching the babies no matter how gently I tried to spray them. This lot seem much happier.

I didn't really know what to do with the cool mist, but I am just leaving it on for a few minutes at a time, then fanning.

I guess an FC can't get too humid? It's just down to FAE?

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Testing Testing 123...Humidity and Digital Hygrometer [Re: telekid]
    #11440021 - 11/12/09 11:39 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

telekid said:

I like the Taylor "brand" of digital Hygrometer's.

I have been using them for years.

I've never had one crap out on me after  a month or so.

I have had one crap out on me after a couple years of being left in the fruiting chamber...

but I'll take that as an acceptable death for the unit.

:lol:

They have done me right!~

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinetelekid
very gnar

Re: Testing Testing 123...Humidity and Digital Hygrometer [Re: Roadkill]
    #11440052 - 11/12/09 11:45 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

never seen those before, they look nice tho. might order one.:thumbup:

--------------------

my easy lids

Offlineemptyvessal
A New Friend?
Male User Gallery

#11441443 - 11/12/09 02:50 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Roadkill said:
Quote:

telekid said:

I have had one crap out on me after a couple years of being left in the fruiting chamber...

tc

Will check those out roadkill!  wonder if you can get them in the U.K

Im using a cheapo exxo terra hygrometer , designed for lizards not mushrooms i am guesing they are very different! :ooo:

--------------------

Vitalherbs.co.uk

Paul Stamets

Offlineemptyvessal
A New Friend?
Male User Gallery

#11441467 - 11/12/09 02:52 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Whats the exact model of Taylor Roadkill?  the ones ive seen are not so cheap :smile:

--------------------

Vitalherbs.co.uk

Paul Stamets

Offlineemptyvessal
A New Friend?
Male User Gallery

#11441474 - 11/12/09 02:54 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Roadkill said:
Quote:

telekid said:

tc

Taylor 5566 Humidiguide this by any chance?

--------------------

Vitalherbs.co.uk

Paul Stamets

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom