Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetangoking
Lover of Boletes
 User Gallery

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Selling Mushrooms at Farmers Markets
    #11210281 - 10/08/09 07:33 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I'm thinking about renting a table at a farmers market and selling some chickens, hens, boletes, etc..

Did anyone ever do this? At a local high-end grocery story they were selling hens at $60/lb. I figure at a farmers market I could get $20/lb?

--------------------
Smurfette artwork reference:
https://www.guyhepner.com/product/smurfette-with-flowers-by-herr-nilsson/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelibertaire
liberator
Male

Re: Selling Mushrooms at Farmers Markets [Re: tangoking]
    #11210506 - 10/08/09 08:00 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I don't think this is really hunted related, probably more gourmet and medicinal related, but I've thought about growing edibles for this exact purpose.  To east also, obviously, but it could be a good form of income also, if you do it right.

Invisiblestrangefox

Re: Selling Mushrooms at Farmers Markets [Re: libertaire]
    #11210551 - 10/08/09 08:05 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

How much will the market cost you to sell? Do you have to have insurance? It would be cool but usually you have to spend money to make money these days.

Offlinequadracer
Porcini Hunter
 User Gallery

Loc: Here, Now
Re: Selling Mushrooms at Farmers Markets [Re: strangefox]
    #11210885 - 10/08/09 08:49 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Sell them to the fancy restaurants in your area.  You will cut out the middle man (grocery store) and still make more than you would at the farmers market/selling them to the store.

And they will know exactly what to do with them too.

Offlinetangoking
Lover of Boletes
 User Gallery

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Re: Selling Mushrooms at Farmers Markets [Re: quadracer]
    #11210980 - 10/08/09 09:01 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

quadracer said:
Sell them to the fancy restaurants in your area.  You will cut out the middle man (grocery store) and still make more than you would at the farmers market/selling them to the store.

And they will know exactly what to do with them too.

Nice. :thumbup:

--------------------
Smurfette artwork reference:
https://www.guyhepner.com/product/smurfette-with-flowers-by-herr-nilsson/

OfflineDishez
Swamp Crawler

Re: Selling Mushrooms at Farmers Markets [Re: tangoking]
    #11396691 - 11/06/09 09:25 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

This thread is a bit old but i wanted to mention something...
I thought about doing this a year or two ago and decided against it, the main reason being that quite a few people are extremely ignorant regarding wild edibles. I would be too worried that some boob would have bought something, eaten it, gotten sick for some completely unrelated reason, and blamed it on the mushrooms. In my experience 80% of people who find out about my interest in eating wild gourmet mushrooms are surprised that im not dead... we all know that every mushroom except for the ones that can be found in stores are eeeeevilllllll.

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Re: Selling Mushrooms at Farmers Markets [Re: Dishez]
    #11396861 - 11/06/09 10:03 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Dude, wild edibles are sold to fancy restaurants all the time. The chefs also know what to buy and what not. They might not be general mushroom experts, but they will know the choice edibles. If anyone claims that they got sick from whatever they ate they are better ready to prove it. Especially if nobody else got sick from the mushrooms.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

OfflinePurple_spore
Compulsively Skeptical OG
Male User Gallery

Loc: nor cal Flag
    #11396919 - 11/06/09 10:17 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Dishez said: In my experience 80% of people who find out about my interest in eating wild gourmet mushrooms are surprised that im not dead... we all know that every mushroom except for the ones that can be found in stores are eeeeevilllllll.

Doesn't it piss you off walking down the street with a handfull of mushrooms and everybody is starring at you like youre covered in blood. Well at least that the looks I get around here.

--------------------
Safety first children :thumbup:

Offlineehtdaedlufetarg
Toadstool Taxonomy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Trusted Identifier
Re: Selling Mushrooms at Farmers Markets [Re: Purple_spore]
    #11396961 - 11/06/09 10:25 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

thats totally the look i get quite often as well. Sometimes though people are genuinly interested and approach me about what im picking. Normally to ask if they are Psychedelic.

--------------------

OfflineDaveOdd
Stranger
Re: Selling Mushrooms at Farmers Markets [Re: ehtdaedlufetarg]
    #11397407 - 11/06/09 11:38 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I have about 7-8 restaurants I supply to here in the Chicago area. I generally charge about $8 a pound for Hens, Honeys, Chickens, Oysters and more common stuff, $10-$12 for Blewits and Velvet Foot (enokis), and $20+ for chanterelles, morels, and more highly prized stuff.

OfflineDishez
Swamp Crawler

Re: Selling Mushrooms at Farmers Markets [Re: DaveOdd]
    #11397617 - 11/06/09 12:04 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Dude, wild edibles are sold to fancy restaurants all the time. The chefs also know what to buy and what not. They might not be general mushroom experts, but they will know the choice edibles. If anyone claims that they got sick from whatever they ate they are better ready to prove it. Especially if nobody else got sick from the mushrooms.

I was talking about selling them at farmers markets, not fancy restaurants.

OfflineDaveOdd
Stranger
    #11402310 - 11/07/09 01:56 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Farmers markets you need permits, probably some kind of license, localities, and likely you will not have enough product to make up for the cost of your table.

Offlinepsylosymonreturns
aka Gym Sporrison
Male

Loc: Mos Eisley,
Re: Selling Mushrooms at Farmers Markets [Re: DaveOdd]
    #11403252 - 11/07/09 09:17 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

i checked out the commercial pine mushroom trade out here yesterday. they have buyers tents all over the mountains where you can sell your finds right away. unfortunatly this was my first time so we hit a really picked out spot. i being a magic hunter found it pretty easy compared to lbms in brown grass!! i only found 1 number 1,worth 20 bucks a pound,first pine i ever found!:smile: 2 mintures into the hunt! if i found a more secret spot i know i could make some decent money. regardless,i sure got some good gourmet mushrooms for the table.
i will be making a post about our adventure later when i get my camera back.

--------------------

Offlinewood_stones
Sapling
 User Gallery
Loc: Puget Sound
Re: Selling Mushrooms at Farmers Markets [Re: psylosymonreturns]
    #11403456 - 11/07/09 09:56 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I live in Washington State - Seattle area. 

I also have a booth at farmer's markets markets during the summer, three days a week - three differnt markets.

The mushroom people do very well!

Some markets are very cheap to set up at.  $5 a week.  The big markets are more like 25-30 a sessions.  Permits are easy to come by, or just bypass alltogeather.

Every county is differnt - but you don't need any food service license to sell your mushrooms. 

If you are a people person - of have a hot young thing to sell them for you ( o o o me so horny ) - the markets would be for you.

Restraunts would be much easier to sello your whole load to though.  s their an asian market for you?  sell to the AZN market?  dry them yorself, so you can hold onto the pile for when u find the right buyer....

PEACE!

Offlinemasspan
l'eclair
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Selling Mushrooms at Farmers Markets [Re: psylosymonreturns]
    #11403457 - 11/07/09 09:57 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

i spoke with some people this past spring about selling at famers markets, it is a grey/loosely supervised area of selling produce. most of the people suggested speaking with a federal agency rather than a local one about whether or not it was okay to do this as far as getting permits or licenses and what your liability could be. local agencies might have a tendency to say no right off the bat for fear of poisoning customers (not that you would do this, like me, you probably would not sell anything that you hadn't eaten before and are 100% sure of yourself). i agree that trying to find restaurants in the area is more of a sure bet for the reasons GK gave, the chefs know what they are looking for, if they don't, they will not purchase any, they assume the liability either way. farmers markets are sort of a gamble, most people will either buy from or ignore you, there is the off chance that someone might actually question your 'credentials' and create trouble for you. as i said, it seems to be a real grey area. i would be very curious to hear what your experiences are. let us know what happens :smile:

--------------------

my mother said, to get things done, you'd better not mess with Major Tom...whose status is the baddest, everytime 'they' bless the apparatus

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck