Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinekanglow
Stranger with Candy
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Lid Tek Questions
    #11393587 - 11/05/09 07:52 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I am getting ready to inoculate my first set of BRF jars in the next few days and was wondering what is the best method for creating lids?  I have seen the PF Tek and also the self healing lid tek and was wondering the differences of each.  The PF tek seems to have 4 noc points, but no GE except for the 4 noc points being covered by medical tape.  The self healing method has a GE hole and only 1 noc point.  Are there any advantages/disadvantages to each type of lid? I went ahead and made a few lids as per the PF Tek, but was wondering if I should try something different.

I only plan on using 1 pint and half pint jars for my first few attempts.  Until I feel comfortable with the PF tek, I don't want to move onto anything else.  I have a Presto PC for sterilization.

Can I use multiple noc points with tyvek underneath or are self healing ports better to use?  Do I only need one self healing port?  I am using syringes to noc, not an LC.  Should I use silicon to seal the noc points?  After reading so much I think I have confused myself just a tad.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Let me know if I'm missing anything..

Thanks

--------------------
This thread has been closed.

Reason:
Inappropriate behavior.  We do not allow this type of behavior anywhere on this site.  This is your FINAL WARNING.

Also, if you believe that this is really a closed thread, you need to take a closer look...  It's still open.  This is just a signature.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Lid Tek Questions [Re: kanglow]
    #11393612 - 11/05/09 07:55 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

For PF jars, use the four holes and don't bother with anything else. The verm barrier, plus angling the needle to the side of the jar, will do all you need.

However if you have a PC, you might as well do some grains or LC or both.
I like RTV injection ports for those. I didn't use them for a long time, I thought they were silly, but I was wrong.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Loc: U.S.A.
Re: Lid Tek Questions [Re: kanglow]
    #11393649 - 11/05/09 07:59 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Self healing lids are the way to go for ease of use.

BUT! Be careful using self healing lids without GE holes when making syringes from LC, or mycelium water. The self-healing rubber/RTV cement keeps air from displacing the fluid sucked into the syringe. This creates a vacuum which quickly empties the syringe. Many, many posts have been created warning of this error by persons who missed the posts before them...

:goodluck:

--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

Edited by BrandNewbie (11/05/09 08:00 PM)

Offlinekanglow
Stranger with Candy
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Re: Lid Tek Questions [Re: BrandNewbie]
    #11394029 - 11/05/09 08:53 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

So, is one noc point ok to use so long as I have a GE port?  Can I put the GE port on the side and the noc port in the middle?  Or should I just keep the GE port in the middle and the noc port on the side?

Will any silicon work?  I couldn't find RTV, but I purchased clear window/door silicon and it says not to use on a surface that reaches over 400ºF.  Is that ok?

--------------------
This thread has been closed.

Reason:
Inappropriate behavior.  We do not allow this type of behavior anywhere on this site.  This is your FINAL WARNING.

Also, if you believe that this is really a closed thread, you need to take a closer look...  It's still open.  This is just a signature.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures