Home | Community | Message Board

MagicMushrooms.org
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood, Petri Dish, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineBoris
Viking Warrior, of Valour
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: TX. Flag
Grain LC (Small Improvise) * 1
    #11341628 - 10/28/09 10:45 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

A long while back I tried out grain LC. I was mildly turned off because of the grain type I used (WBS). When I tried to suck the Myc laden water back into the syringe, the needle was constantly being clogged by small grain debris. We all know that WBS isn't as ez as some other grains to achieve that perfect saturation level. If you soak/simmer just a LITTLE too excessively, your kernels will be uber soft, or just plane burst during the PC. Although sub-par saturation levels can work out most of the time when used as spawn, it became relevant that it was a pain in the ass getting that saturation levels to my likings for a grain LC. It dawned on me that popcorn has a very thick and more resilient outside, so I tried it out instead. To my surprise, it was allot more pleasant for me to work with. It seems you really need to simmer the hell out of popcorn to achieve an adequate saturation level, but even if it burst the seed open it still holds its shape. When WBS bursts open, the insides are like the consistency of mashed-potatoes or something, ...It gets messy. This isn't the case with Popcorn.

Here is a pic of my style of grain LC jar (1/2 pint, no GAE holes, with silicone injection port) :

When engineering a jar specifically for grain LC, it seems the only way to implement a gastric air exchange hole is to use those fancy Whatman filter things. I opted for an airtight canister setup with only a silicone injection port because: The step where you inject sterile water in, then shake it all up vigorously to release the myc from the grain, and into the water. I didn't want fluids coming into contact with a filter that could have a contam sitting on it. Because when the filter obviously became saturated from the shake, a potential contam could then slip on by via the moisture in the filter. I always found LCs very easily contaminated, and the amount of air in the jar is apparently enough because I haven't experienced any colonization performance issues yet.

So today while doing my grain LC procedure, I decided to take a few further detailed pictures and show how I personally do it. I understand allot of rookies have allot of smaller detailed precaution questions about things we veterans pass off as no-brainers/meager details. So my main theory is to appeal to a rookie on a thorough level. I did my work in front of my flowhood I built my self, but you could easily use a still-air glovebox with very high success rate as well.

So here we go: I first turned my flowhood on and let it run for an hour to clean the majority of the air in the room. Then I wiped down the inside of the sheltered working cabinet with alcohol, followed by placing the items I would use for this tek in the cabinet one by one as I wiped them down with alcohol as well:

Here is the culture sample I will be using:

Although it wasn't fully colonized, it was enough to make 1 (12cc) syringe worth (all I needed)

I started by taking the lid off of the jar with the sterile water, flaming the needle, drew up a full syringes worth of water, flamed the needle again, replaced the needles protective sheath, and set it aside:

Then I take the culture jar and vigorously wiped the injection port down with alcohol:

Now you can inject your syringe full of sterile water into the jar via the silicone injection port. I have noticed the amount of water you put in, is not the amount of water you get back out due to the fact that a small amount of water stays coating the outside of the grain as its drenched. To counter this water loss I have tested that an extra 1/2 of a syringes worth (6cc)of more water is just enough to receive a full (12cc) syringe in the end when working with this amount of grain in a 1/2 pint jar.

Flame the needle, inject the full syringe into the culture jar, flame the needle, draw up an additional 6cc's of water in your 12cc syringe, flame the needle, inject your 6cc's of water into the culture jar, then flame the needle, and set it aside...

I know this seems like ALLOT of excess amounts of flaming the needle, but I like doing it because it will evaporate excess amounts of liquids dripping off the tip of the needle, or overflowing out of the engorged needle. Plus its just a good sterile technique habit to practice. Also, NOTE: Don't stick a freshly flamed red hot needle into the silicone injection port, give it a few seconds to cool. I often will VERY SLOWLY secret a little of the syringes solution out stopping just before the hissing of the hot needle and cool solution stops to ensure that the solution cooled it down to room temp, and stopping just in time to not dribble solution out of the tip, but this takes a lil practice.

...Anyhow, then I shake the ever-loving shit out of the jar to dislodge all of the myc off of the grain, and into the water:

Finally I take the lid off the jar, tilt the jar to the side so solution runs off into more of a valley at the 90 degree angle of the bottom of the jar meeting the walls, stick my needle off into the valley, and draw up the myc laden water solution into the syringe. Then one last time flame, and re-sheath the needle.

Until I have a project to inoculate with this LC, I in-case it with some glad press'n'seal, and throw it in the refrigerator.

I can't take any props for most of this because the original tek post of this was from The Amazing Agar. I just mearly improvised (a very little), and wanted to break it down into its finer details for noobies. In respect to Agar's original tek, here is a link to it: Here

Hope y'all enjoy!:heart:

:bye:

--------------------
AMU

Terence McKenna Said:
"We have to create culture, don't watch TV, don't read magazines, don't even listen to NPR. Create your own roadshow. The nexus of space and time where you are now is the most immediate sector of your universe, and if you're worrying about Michael Jackson or Bill Clinton or somebody else, then you are disempowered, you're giving it all away to icons, icons which are maintained by an electronic media so that you want to dress like X or have lips like Y. This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking. That is all cultural diversion, and what is real is you and your friends and your associations, your highs, your orgasms, your hopes, your plans, your fears. And we are told 'no', we're unimportant, we're peripheral. 'Get a degree, get a job, get a this, get a that.' And then you're a player, you don't want to even play in that game. You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that's being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinemilkman59
milkman
Male User Gallery
Re: Grain LC (Small Improvise) [Re: Boris]
    #11341673 - 10/28/09 10:54 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------
milkman does wikidzons... fresh start 10/26/09
prints sent out today sorry for delay.....10/27/09

OfflineBoris
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Grain LC (Small Improvise) [Re: milkman59]
    #11341708 - 10/28/09 11:00 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

Agar's was 2 years and 6 months ago, and Fahtster's was 2 years and 5 months ago. Looks like Agar's was a month sooner. :grin: I'm sure this has been done, yet unsaid for a long time before those teks were made, I just didn't wanna come off like I was trying to take full credit for it or anything.

--------------------
AMU

Terence McKenna Said:
"We have to create culture, don't watch TV, don't read magazines, don't even listen to NPR. Create your own roadshow. The nexus of space and time where you are now is the most immediate sector of your universe, and if you're worrying about Michael Jackson or Bill Clinton or somebody else, then you are disempowered, you're giving it all away to icons, icons which are maintained by an electronic media so that you want to dress like X or have lips like Y. This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking. That is all cultural diversion, and what is real is you and your friends and your associations, your highs, your orgasms, your hopes, your plans, your fears. And we are told 'no', we're unimportant, we're peripheral. 'Get a degree, get a job, get a this, get a that.' And then you're a player, you don't want to even play in that game. You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that's being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world."

Offlinemilkman59
milkman
Male User Gallery
    #11341724 - 10/28/09 11:04 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

wasnt saying that. i did say great idea. i didnt dog you like most would. the only difference between agar and faht is the wbs and popcorn. either way im suree someone else did it b4 them. who really cares.

great idea:thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineDamion5050
Mush Doctor
Male User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Translation ! Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #11341728 - 10/28/09 11:05 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

Boris you gota tell me where you got the tool you used to flame.. By the way great tek

Offlinemilkman59
milkman
Male User Gallery
Re: Grain LC (Small Improvise) [Re: Damion5050]
    #11341762 - 10/28/09 11:10 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

you can get them at lowes

they are great i have one exactly like.

--------------------

OfflineDamion5050
Mush Doctor
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #11341771 - 10/28/09 11:12 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

Looks like I am going tomorrow to get one lol.  How much do they run ?  Also are the fuel cans readily available.

OfflineBoris
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11341775 - 10/28/09 11:12 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Damion5050 said:
Boris you gota tell me where you got the tool you used to flame..

Hehe, its a butane torch for soldering metal pipes and stuff. I got it at Home depot in the tool section. Was a pretty penny tho, something in the neighborhood of $35 +tax.

--------------------
AMU

Terence McKenna Said:

Edited by Boris (10/28/09 11:20 PM)

OfflineBoris
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11341822 - 10/28/09 11:20 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Damion5050 said:
are the fuel cans readily available.

Yeah, there in the same section. Something like... $5-$6 for the fuel. the torches don't come pre-fueled by the way.

--------------------
AMU

Terence McKenna Said:

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Not Too Sure Flag
    #11341825 - 10/28/09 11:20 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

:thumbup: for sure
i really like the way you take the lid off the grain jar
man i need to make a flow hood

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:
not sure what GE and FAE are but i should probably get some.

Citric said:
Your signature is wrong on colonization temps!

GOOD JUDGMENT COMES FROM EXPERIENCE
EXPERIENCE COMES FROM BAD JUDGMENT

ROOM TEMP 70-75 IS BEST FOR COLONIZATION
Thank you mycochef

OfflineDamion5050
Mush Doctor
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Grain LC (Small Improvise) [Re: noobieshroomie]
    #11341838 - 10/28/09 11:22 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

noobieshroomie said:

-noobie-

yeah bro you do.  They are so lovely.  I got that link for those decent price filters in my journal.

Also that lighter is sweet, I will be getting one tomorrow.  Thx.

OfflineBoris
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11341880 - 10/28/09 11:27 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

noobieshroomie said:

-noobie-

You have no idea how luxurious it makes you feel when you can freely take lids off of stuff, do you thang, and go on with your business without a stressful care in the world... :lol:

Still-air gloveboxes are great too... just a little more precaution and less elongated times of open air moments (like g2g ect.)

--------------------
AMU

Terence McKenna Said:

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11341907 - 10/28/09 11:31 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

i would not feel comfortable leaving the jar lid off
like that in a glove box

maybe if it were totally sealed up i would
but with a flow hood it seems like
you can open a jar or petri dish,
walk away and come back 5-10 min later with no worries

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:

Citric said:

Thank you mycochef

OfflineBoris
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11342066 - 10/28/09 11:53 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

As a first test to see if my creation (Flowhood) was good enough, I set a agar plate in front of it for a few hrs, then came back and added a tissue sample, and successfully grew it out with no contams. :cool: :grin:

My Home-Made Flowhood Tek

--------------------
AMU

Terence McKenna Said:

Offline13shrooms
Lightning Shaman
 User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
    #11342264 - 10/29/09 12:17 AM (4 years, 5 months ago)

we (my wife) were just doing the same thing today with PE in my shmuvbox (hepa %99.97).:sun:

Nice Alt. tek write up Boris, seems things are going good for you. :super:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Coast to Coast AM (12am-4am/C) link -->:sporedrop::sporedrop::sporedrop::mushroomgrow::sporedrop::sporedrop::sporedrop: <-- Ground Zero Radio (9pm-2am/C) link

OfflineBoris
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Grain LC (Small Improvise) [Re: 13shrooms]
    #11342292 - 10/29/09 12:20 AM (4 years, 5 months ago)

:hehehe: When I first looked at the pic I was like, "13Shrooms is a girl?!?!?!?!" :shocked:

...then I read it was your wife :tongue2:

--------------------
AMU

Terence McKenna Said:

Offline13shrooms
Lightning Shaman
 User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
    #11342331 - 10/29/09 12:26 AM (4 years, 5 months ago)

:lmafo:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Coast to Coast AM (12am-4am/C) link -->:sporedrop::sporedrop::sporedrop::mushroomgrow::sporedrop::sporedrop::sporedrop: <-- Ground Zero Radio (9pm-2am/C) link

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Grain LC (Small Improvise) [Re: 13shrooms]
    #11342356 - 10/29/09 12:28 AM (4 years, 5 months ago)

i thought it said me(my wife)
and i was thinking...well we wont go there:lol:
but glad you got a cool chick that enjoys the hobby as mush as you do

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:

Citric said:

Thank you mycochef

OfflineBoris
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11342442 - 10/29/09 12:44 AM (4 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

noobieshroomie said:
i thought it said me(my wife)
and i was thinking...well we wont go there:lol:

-noobie-

Jekyll and hyde :grin:

--------------------
AMU

Terence McKenna Said:

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11342461 - 10/29/09 12:47 AM (4 years, 5 months ago)

i was thinking more along the lines
of both of them females:crazy2:

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:

Citric said:

Thank you mycochef

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood, Petri Dish, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation