Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineAnonymousRabbit
Comrade
 User Gallery

. [Re: Gumby]
    #11202277 - 10/07/09 05:56 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------

Edited by AnonymousRabbit (05/19/22 12:55 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnonymousRabbit
Comrade
 User Gallery

. [Re: AnonymousRabbit]
    #11202280 - 10/07/09 05:57 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------

Edited by AnonymousRabbit (05/19/22 12:55 AM)

Offlineutk
Ellis, Dee M.D
Re: yerba mate pros and cons? [Re: Gumby]
    #11202291 - 10/07/09 05:58 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

hm I was pondering the effects of combining the yerba mate with mate de coca. How godly of a tea would that be. A mild caffein buzz with a mild coca buzz. I also take adderall medically so I can imagine this would be a nice wakeup brew to replace coffee.

InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
Re: yerba mate pros and cons? [Re: Gumby]
    #11202321 - 10/07/09 06:01 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Gumby said:
/me is waiting for Tea to add his input. He drinks drinks it like every day.

A good friend of mine lived in Argentina for a while and the family she was staying with gave her yerba mate and she said it made her feel insane. She said she got light headed, became slightly disoriented, her skin tingled, then she became nauseous. I find that really strange because she takes adderall and drinks a lot of coffee everyday. Then again, I bet yerba mate and adderall probably isn't the best combo.

It could have since it has a anti-depressant in it

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Re: yerba mate pros and cons? [Re: Brainiac]
    #11202369 - 10/07/09 06:07 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

The girl is bipolar too. That probably doesn't help matters.

Offlineyoubreakyoubuy
Monkey Mouth
 User Gallery

Re: yerba mate pros and cons? [Re: AnonymousRabbit]
    #11203493 - 10/07/09 08:50 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

sad face over here after reading that.

I think I'll continue drinking it though.  :crazy:

--------------------
Let that which doesn't matter truly not matter.

Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
Re: yerba mate pros and cons? [Re: youbreakyoubuy]
    #11203569 - 10/07/09 09:00 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't mate pretty much the same thing as coffee?

i never understood why people don't just drink coffee.  i dunno, mate kind of tastes like crap to me.

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: yerba mate pros and cons? [Re: truekimbo2]
    #11203626 - 10/07/09 09:06 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Coffee makes me way to jittery.  I drink teas and occasionally mate because I prefer the way they make me feel, less jittery.  I like the taste of coffee though, along with tea and mate.

Invisibleblewmeanie
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
    #11203654 - 10/07/09 09:10 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

From Wiki

Quote:

Mate contains xanthines, which are alkaloids such as caffeine, theophylline, and theobromine, well-known stimulants also found in coffee and chocolate. Caffeine content varies between 0.2% and 2% of dry weight (compared with 0.3–9% for tea leaves, 2.5-7.5% in guarana, and up to 3.2% for ground coffee)[14].
[edit] Stereoisomer claims

However, caffeine is not chiral, and thus cannot have a stereoisomer, and "mateine" is an official synonym of caffeine in the chemical databases.[15]

Studies of mate, though very limited, have shown preliminary evidence[citation needed] that the mate xanthine cocktail is different from other plants containing caffeine most significantly in its effects on muscle tissue, as opposed to those on the central nervous system, which are similar to those of other natural stimulants. The three xanthines[which?] present in mate have been shown to have a relaxing effect on smooth muscle tissue, and a stimulating effect on myocardial (heart) tissue[citation needed] .
[edit] Comparison of effects with coffee

Mate's negative effects are anecdotally claimed to be of a lesser degree than those of coffee, though no explanation for this is offered or even credibly postulated, except for its potential as a placebo effect.[16] Some users report that drinking yerba mate does not prevent them from being able to fall asleep, as is often the case with some more common stimulating beverages, while still enhancing their energy and ability to remain awake at will.[16]

However, the net amount of caffeine in one preparation of yerba mate is typically quite high, in large part because the repeated filling of the mate with hot water is able to extract the xanthines very effectively[citation needed]. It is for this reason that one mate may be shared among several people and yet produce the desired stimulating effect in all of them.
Yerba mate soda

From reports of personal experience with mate[which?], its physiological effects are similar to (yet distinct from) more widespread caffeinated beverages like coffee, tea, or guarana drinks[citation needed]. Some users[which?] report a mental state of wakefulness, focus and alertness reminiscent of most stimulants, but often remark on mate's unique lack of the negative effects typically created by other such compounds, such as anxiety, "jitteriness", and heart palpitations.

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

Offlinewtfcrazymofo
foil hater
Other

Loc: Colonial alley
Re: yerba mate pros and cons? [Re: blewmeanie]
    #22643657 - 12/11/15 06:05 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

The coolest part of mate is the traditional community aspect of it.  One person has the hot water and fills it up and passes it around.  Each person that gets their turn can take there time and drink all of the water, or do it quickly.  Then upon completion they give it back to the person with hot water either in a tea kettle or thermos.  If it gets handed back and isn't empty gourd holder slurps it down.  He or she then fills it up and gives it to the next person trying to keep the water in the gourd at the highest temperature attainable they start out with cold water so it does not burn.
    The gourd if prepared properly should be enough for 6-8 people to get mate high.  If you don't stir up the straw of a properly prepared gourd full of mate goodness then you wont get unpleasant leaf matter.  The group aspect enhances conversation and attentiveness.

I tried to grow mushrooms on spent mate, and did not have any luck at all. 

I have passed a filled up ready to slurp mate gourd to a lot of different people that have not had it before and over half of them stirred the filter straw.  Recovery time post stir is a good amount of leaf matter in you mouth.

--------------------
If you want to eat->https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/8553541

Bag sealers are to bulky (my hood isn't that big)
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/28622922

Invisiblepirate-blues
Female

#22643683 - 12/11/15 06:12 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

truekimbo2 said:
correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't mate pretty much the same thing as coffee?

i never understood why people don't just drink coffee.  i dunno, mate kind of tastes like crap to me.

I think yerba mate is more energizing than coffee. It wakes me up and gives me a bit of euphoria and motivation, coffee will wake me up and that's about it, and it can make me feel kind of jittery and nauseous if I drink a lot of it. I use ground up powder in water, then I add milk, sugar, and cinnamon, and it really tastes pretty nice.

I haven't drank it in a while because my local grocery store stopped carrying the brand I liked and I always forget to order it off amazon.

OfflineThe_Newt
old moderator.
Re: yerba mate pros and cons? [Re: AnonymousRabbit]
    #24674010 - 09/30/17 11:29 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

supernovasky said:
I don't trust it. Its not only because its consumed hot that it's carcinogenic.

^ Bates MN, Hopenhayn C, Rey OA, Moore LE (February 2007). "Bladder cancer and mate consumption in Argentina: a case-control study". Cancer Lett. 246 (1-2): 268–73. doi:10.1016/j.canlet.2006.03.005. PMID 16616809.
^ De Stefani E, Boffetta P, Deneo-Pellegrini H, et al (2007). "Non-alcoholic beverages and risk of bladder cancer in Uruguay". BMC Cancer 7: 57. doi:10.1186/1471-2407-7-57. PMID 17394632.
^ Goldenberg D, Lee J, Koch WM, et al (December 2004). "Habitual risk factors for head and neck cancer". Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 131 (6): 986–93. doi:10.1016/j.otohns.2004.02.035. PMID 15577802.
^ Sewram V, De Stefani E, Brennan P, Boffetta P (June 2003). "Mate consumption and the risk of squamous cell esophageal cancer in uruguay". Cancer Epidemiol. Biomarkers Prev. 12 (6): 508–13. PMID 12814995.
^ Goldenberg D, Golz A, Joachims HZ (July 2003). "The beverage mate: a risk factor for cancer of the head and neck". Head Neck 25 (7): 595–601. doi:10.1002/hed.10288. PMID 12808663.
^ Pintos J, Franco EL, Oliveira BV, Kowalski LP, Curado MP, Dewar R (November 1994). "Mate, coffee, and tea consumption and risk of cancers of the upper aerodigestive tract in southern Brazil". Epidemiology 5 (6): 583–90. PMID 7841239..
^ McGee, JO'D (1976). "A case of veno-occlusive disease of the liver in Britain associated with herbal tea consumption". J. Clin. Path 29: 788–94. doi:10.1136/jcp.29.9.788. PMID 977780. Retrieved on 2007-11-05.

Scary shit.

Quote:

A recent study aimed to provide more concrete information about this topic by carefully examining both hot and cold preparations of mate. The researchers wanted to determine whether yerba mate contained a group of compounds called polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (26). Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) are classified as carcinogens which means they are substances that are known to cause cancer in animals and humans.
Beyond looking for PAHs, the researchers wanted to know how much of these compounds are in mate. This is important because many foods and beverages contain small amounts of PAHs. These trace amounts of potentially cancer-causing chemicals typically do not cause any health problems. In larger quantities however, they may cause damage in the body that will increase cancer risk over the long term.

The researchers looked for levels of 21 different PAHs in eight commonly used commercial brands of yerba mate. They examined PAH levels in the mate leaves and in tea, prepared both hot and cold, from the leaves. As mentioned, many things we eat and drink can contain some PAHs, so the researchers also checked PAH levels in green tea leaves for comparison purposes.

When looking at the leaves of the eight commercial yerba mate products, the researchers found that they contained total PAH concentration ranging from 2 to 11 times the levels found in green tea leaves. Regarding the amount of PAHs found in the drinks made from yerba mate leaves, the researchers found that both hot and cold water preparations contained significant amount of PAHs. The researchers did not compare this directly to green tea.

However, they did determine that if prepared in the traditional way and consumed in amounts typically enjoyed by South Americans who drink mate, the intake of certain carcinogenic PAHs was comparable to what a person would get by smoking a pack of cigarettes per day. The study authors noted that the comparison with cigarette smoking is supported by other research that shows that urine levels of the breakdown products of PAHs are similar after smoking cigarettes and after drinking mate.

http://www.caring4cancer.com/go/cancer/nutrition/questions

A pack a day...

Only the brands that have smoke added to the leaves/stems are like this, and in my experience most brands do not do this, and if it were a major cancer risk large numbers of people in Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay, and parts of Brasil would be dying in large numbers.

I have drank mate for decades, and most brands unless they are ones like Selecta, Rosamonte, or the original Pajarito do not have smoke added to the leaves or stems/palo.

If you are worried about the PAHs that are in smoked brands of mate use a French press, drink it cold/iced as terere, or just don't drink those brands.

A con about yerba mate is that you quickly develop a tolerance to it.  I used to drink it daily for months and then I would have to drink a liter of it just to feel the effects that I used to get from a single serving of it.

InvisibleCookieCrumbsM
Fucked off to the pub
Female User Gallery

Re: yerba mate pros and cons? [Re: The_Newt]
    #24674116 - 10/01/17 12:44 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

It is a fallacy. Your first sentence.

"if the sun caused cancer people would be dying in droves from melanoma!" when we know damn well it does, now. And we know rather well that the level of risk varies from person to person and region to region.

Some people shouldn't smoke weed. Some people shouldn't drink coffee. Some people probably shouldn't drink yerba mate.

I won't because I'm already at an extremely high risk of developing throat cancer and because I have estrogen problems. I dunno how yerba's hormone manipulation compares to coffee but I kknow I probably shouldn't be doing either.

Sadly I'm a raging addict and if I tried to replace coffee with yerba and I liked it I'd probably just be completely addicted to both.

Thinking about trying to hop off on to green tea though. Just haven't been able to find a brand/consistency I particularly like.

--------------------
          :dancingbear: Free time is the only time :dancingbear:                    :thatsinteresting:

OfflinePartoftheSource
NAUT GUILTY
 User Gallery

Loc: MIDWEST
Re: yerba mate pros and cons? [Re: CookieCrumbs]
    #24674119 - 10/01/17 12:46 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

CookieCrumbs said:

Ouch. First post, first sentence on the Shroomery: Fallacy.

/endaccount

--------------------
Shroomery Stickers!

OfflineThe_Newt
old moderator.
    #24674209 - 10/01/17 02:05 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

CookieCrumbs said:

"if the sun caused cancer people would be dying in droves from melanoma!" when we know damn well it does, now. And we know rather well that the level of risk varies from person to person and region to region.

Some people shouldn't smoke weed. Some people shouldn't drink coffee. Some people probably shouldn't drink yerba mate.

I won't because I'm already at an extremely high risk of developing throat cancer and because I have estrogen problems. I dunno how yerba's hormone manipulation compares to coffee but I kknow I probably shouldn't be doing either.

Sadly I'm a raging addict and if I tried to replace coffee with yerba and I liked it I'd probably just be completely addicted to both.

Thinking about trying to hop off on to green tea though. Just haven't been able to find a brand/consistency I particularly like.

No it's not a fallacy.  You are more likely to get skin cancer or some form of melanoma than you are developing or getting cancer from drinking yerba mate.

Does this mean that you completely avoid the sun, wear sunscreen with a high SPF, use large hats/umbrellas so that no sunlight touches your skin, or that you only go out at night? Of course not.

Yerba mate basically is seen as a tea in the cultures of Paraguay, Argentina, Brasil, and Uruguay.  It contains lots of the same chemical compounds, and minerals found in green tea as well as other ones that are only found in mate.

http://circleofdrink.com/yerba-mate-and-cancer

Yerba mate has been shown to destroy cancer cells.

https://scienceblog.com/51739/compounds-in-mate-tea-kills-cancer-cells/

Could preventing colon cancer be as simple as developing a taste for yerba mate tea? In a recent University of Illinois study, scientists showed that human colon cancer cells die when they are exposed to the approximate number of bioactive compounds present in one cup of this brew, which has long been consumed in South America for its medicinal properties.

“The caffeine derivatives in mate tea not only induced death in human colon cancer cells, they also reduced important markers of inflammation,” said Elvira de Mejia, a U of I associate professor of food chemistry and food toxicology.

That’s important because inflammation can trigger the steps of cancer progression, she said.

In the in vitro study, de Mejia and former graduate student Sirima Puangpraphant isolated, purified, and then treated human colon cancer cells with caffeoylquinic acid (CQA) derivatives from mate tea. As the scientists increased the CQA concentration, cancer cells died as a result of apoptosis.

“Put simply, the cancer cell self-destructs because its DNA has been damaged,” she said.

The ability to induce apoptosis, or cell death, is a promising tactic for therapeutic interventions in all types of cancer, she said.

de Mejia said they were able to identify the mechanism that led to cell death. Certain CQA derivatives dramatically decreased several markers of inflammation, including NF-kappa-B, which regulates many genes that affect the process through the production of important enzymes. Ultimately cancer cells died with the induction of two specific enzymes, caspase-3 and caspase-8, de Mejia said.

“If we can reduce the activity of NF-kappa-B, the important marker that links inflammation and cancer, we’ll be better able to control the transformation of normal cells to cancer cells,” she added.

The results of the study strongly suggest that the caffeine derivatives in mate tea have potential as anti-cancer agents and could also be helpful in other diseases associated with inflammation, she said.

But, because the colon and its microflora play a major role in the absorption and metabolism of caffeine-related compounds, the anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer effects of mate tea may be most useful in the colon.

“We believe there’s ample evidence to support drinking mate tea for its bioactive benefits, especially if you have reason to be concerned about colon cancer. Mate tea bags are available in health food stores and are increasingly available in large supermarkets,” she added.

The scientists have already completed and will soon publish the results of a study that compares the development of colon cancer in rats that drank mate tea as their only source of water with a control group that drank only water.

This in vitro study was published in Molecular Nutrition & Food Research, vol. 55, pp. 1509-1522, in 2011. Co-authors include Sirima Puangpraphant, now an assistant professor at Kasetsart University in Thailand; Greg Potts, an undergraduate student of the U of I; and Mark A. Berhow and Karl Vermillion of the USDA, ARS, National Center for Agricultural Utilization Research in Peoria, Illinois. The work was funded by the U of I Research Board and Puangpraphant’s Royal Thai Government Scholarship.

InvisibleCookieCrumbsM
Fucked off to the pub
Female User Gallery

#24675030 - 10/01/17 10:46 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

You missed the point.

Did you join to shill for yerba mate?

--------------------
          :dancingbear: Free time is the only time :dancingbear:                    :thatsinteresting:

OfflineThe_Newt
old moderator.
    #24675635 - 10/01/17 02:31 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

CookieCrumbs said:
You missed the point.

Did you join to shill for yerba mate?

Nope.  I used to moderate a forum on here decades ago and I used to go into the IRC # when it was still around.

I grew up drinking mate as older relatives would drink it like tea as it was used as a coffee/tea subsitute here during World War II.  They lived to be 94, were in excellent health both physically and mentally.

Green tea tastes great but I just mainly drink it if I want to sleep easier or if I am sick and I put honey and lemon into it.

Invisiblekoraks
    #24676788 - 10/01/17 11:03 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

It makes me agitated and somewhat aggressive. I don't like it for that reason. I don't have this with coffee or tea.

Invisibletrscstghst
stranger
Male

Loc: here
Re: yerba mate pros and cons? [Re: koraks]
    #24676928 - 10/01/17 11:57 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

only ever had it energy drinks, which have several other ingreidients.  never a bad reaction.  I like ones that combine it with tyrosine.

--------------------
Why use up the forests which were centuries in the making and the mines which required ages to lay down, if we can get the equivalent of forest and mineral products in the annual growth of the hemp fields?
o Henry Ford

InvisibleCookieCrumbsM
Fucked off to the pub
Female User Gallery

Re: yerba mate pros and cons? [Re: PartoftheSource]
    #24677350 - 10/02/17 08:11 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

PartoftheSource said:
Quote:

CookieCrumbs said:

Ouch. First post, first sentence on the Shroomery: Fallacy.

/endaccount

Still giggling over this :smilingpuppy:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale