Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinesupernovasky
Comrade
 User Gallery

Loc: Louisiana
Re: yerba mate pros and cons? [Re: Gumby]
    #11202277 - 10/07/09 07:56 PM (5 years, 16 days ago)

I don't trust it. Its not only because its consumed hot that it's carcinogenic.

^ Bates MN, Hopenhayn C, Rey OA, Moore LE (February 2007). "Bladder cancer and mate consumption in Argentina: a case-control study". Cancer Lett. 246 (1-2): 268–73. doi:10.1016/j.canlet.2006.03.005. PMID 16616809.
^ De Stefani E, Boffetta P, Deneo-Pellegrini H, et al (2007). "Non-alcoholic beverages and risk of bladder cancer in Uruguay". BMC Cancer 7: 57. doi:10.1186/1471-2407-7-57. PMID 17394632.
^ Goldenberg D, Lee J, Koch WM, et al (December 2004). "Habitual risk factors for head and neck cancer". Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 131 (6): 986–93. doi:10.1016/j.otohns.2004.02.035. PMID 15577802.
^ Sewram V, De Stefani E, Brennan P, Boffetta P (June 2003). "Mate consumption and the risk of squamous cell esophageal cancer in uruguay". Cancer Epidemiol. Biomarkers Prev. 12 (6): 508–13. PMID 12814995.
^ Goldenberg D, Golz A, Joachims HZ (July 2003). "The beverage mate: a risk factor for cancer of the head and neck". Head Neck 25 (7): 595–601. doi:10.1002/hed.10288. PMID 12808663.
^ Pintos J, Franco EL, Oliveira BV, Kowalski LP, Curado MP, Dewar R (November 1994). "Mate, coffee, and tea consumption and risk of cancers of the upper aerodigestive tract in southern Brazil". Epidemiology 5 (6): 583–90. PMID 7841239..
^ McGee, JO'D (1976). "A case of veno-occlusive disease of the liver in Britain associated with herbal tea consumption". J. Clin. Path 29: 788–94. doi:10.1136/jcp.29.9.788. PMID 977780. Retrieved on 2007-11-05.

Scary shit.

Quote:

A recent study aimed to provide more concrete information about this topic by carefully examining both hot and cold preparations of mate. The researchers wanted to determine whether yerba mate contained a group of compounds called polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (26). Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) are classified as carcinogens which means they are substances that are known to cause cancer in animals and humans.
Beyond looking for PAHs, the researchers wanted to know how much of these compounds are in mate. This is important because many foods and beverages contain small amounts of PAHs. These trace amounts of potentially cancer-causing chemicals typically do not cause any health problems. In larger quantities however, they may cause damage in the body that will increase cancer risk over the long term.

The researchers looked for levels of 21 different PAHs in eight commonly used commercial brands of yerba mate. They examined PAH levels in the mate leaves and in tea, prepared both hot and cold, from the leaves. As mentioned, many things we eat and drink can contain some PAHs, so the researchers also checked PAH levels in green tea leaves for comparison purposes.

When looking at the leaves of the eight commercial yerba mate products, the researchers found that they contained total PAH concentration ranging from 2 to 11 times the levels found in green tea leaves. Regarding the amount of PAHs found in the drinks made from yerba mate leaves, the researchers found that both hot and cold water preparations contained significant amount of PAHs. The researchers did not compare this directly to green tea.

However, they did determine that if prepared in the traditional way and consumed in amounts typically enjoyed by South Americans who drink mate, the intake of certain carcinogenic PAHs was comparable to what a person would get by smoking a pack of cigarettes per day. The study authors noted that the comparison with cigarette smoking is supported by other research that shows that urine levels of the breakdown products of PAHs are similar after smoking cigarettes and after drinking mate.

http://www.caring4cancer.com/go/cancer/nutrition/questions

A pack a day...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinesupernovasky
Comrade
 User Gallery

Loc: Louisiana
Re: yerba mate pros and cons? [Re: supernovasky]
    #11202280 - 10/07/09 07:57 PM (5 years, 16 days ago)

I just stick with tea.

Offlineutk
Ellis, Dee M.D
    #11202291 - 10/07/09 07:58 PM (5 years, 16 days ago)

hm I was pondering the effects of combining the yerba mate with mate de coca. How godly of a tea would that be. A mild caffein buzz with a mild coca buzz. I also take adderall medically so I can imagine this would be a nice wakeup brew to replace coffee.

InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
    #11202321 - 10/07/09 08:01 PM (5 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Gumby said:
/me is waiting for Tea to add his input. He drinks drinks it like every day.

A good friend of mine lived in Argentina for a while and the family she was staying with gave her yerba mate and she said it made her feel insane. She said she got light headed, became slightly disoriented, her skin tingled, then she became nauseous. I find that really strange because she takes adderall and drinks a lot of coffee everyday. Then again, I bet yerba mate and adderall probably isn't the best combo.

It could have since it has a anti-depressant in it

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY, NIGGA! Flag
Re: yerba mate pros and cons? [Re: Brainiac]
    #11202369 - 10/07/09 08:07 PM (5 years, 16 days ago)

The girl is bipolar too. That probably doesn't help matters.

Offlineyoubreakyoubuy
Monkey Mouth
 User Gallery

Re: yerba mate pros and cons? [Re: supernovasky]
    #11203493 - 10/07/09 10:50 PM (5 years, 16 days ago)

sad face over here after reading that.

I think I'll continue drinking it though.  :crazy:

--------------------
Let that which doesn't matter truly not matter.

Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
Re: yerba mate pros and cons? [Re: youbreakyoubuy]
    #11203569 - 10/07/09 11:00 PM (5 years, 16 days ago)

correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't mate pretty much the same thing as coffee?

i never understood why people don't just drink coffee.  i dunno, mate kind of tastes like crap to me.

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

InvisibleDieCommie
El Guapo

Loc: Street of Dreams
Re: yerba mate pros and cons? [Re: truekimbo2]
    #11203626 - 10/07/09 11:06 PM (5 years, 16 days ago)

Coffee makes me way to jittery.  I drink teas and occasionally mate because I prefer the way they make me feel, less jittery.  I like the taste of coffee though, along with tea and mate.

Invisibleblewmeanie
Sativa Cyborg
 User Gallery

Loc: Jacksonville FL Flag
Re: yerba mate pros and cons? [Re: truekimbo2]
    #11203654 - 10/07/09 11:10 PM (5 years, 16 days ago)

From Wiki

Quote:

Mate contains xanthines, which are alkaloids such as caffeine, theophylline, and theobromine, well-known stimulants also found in coffee and chocolate. Caffeine content varies between 0.2% and 2% of dry weight (compared with 0.3–9% for tea leaves, 2.5-7.5% in guarana, and up to 3.2% for ground coffee)[14].
[edit] Stereoisomer claims

However, caffeine is not chiral, and thus cannot have a stereoisomer, and "mateine" is an official synonym of caffeine in the chemical databases.[15]

Studies of mate, though very limited, have shown preliminary evidence[citation needed] that the mate xanthine cocktail is different from other plants containing caffeine most significantly in its effects on muscle tissue, as opposed to those on the central nervous system, which are similar to those of other natural stimulants. The three xanthines[which?] present in mate have been shown to have a relaxing effect on smooth muscle tissue, and a stimulating effect on myocardial (heart) tissue[citation needed] .
[edit] Comparison of effects with coffee

Mate's negative effects are anecdotally claimed to be of a lesser degree than those of coffee, though no explanation for this is offered or even credibly postulated, except for its potential as a placebo effect.[16] Some users report that drinking yerba mate does not prevent them from being able to fall asleep, as is often the case with some more common stimulating beverages, while still enhancing their energy and ability to remain awake at will.[16]

However, the net amount of caffeine in one preparation of yerba mate is typically quite high, in large part because the repeated filling of the mate with hot water is able to extract the xanthines very effectively[citation needed]. It is for this reason that one mate may be shared among several people and yet produce the desired stimulating effect in all of them.
Yerba mate soda

From reports of personal experience with mate[which?], its physiological effects are similar to (yet distinct from) more widespread caffeinated beverages like coffee, tea, or guarana drinks[citation needed]. Some users[which?] report a mental state of wakefulness, focus and alertness reminiscent of most stimulants, but often remark on mate's unique lack of the negative effects typically created by other such compounds, such as anxiety, "jitteriness", and heart palpitations.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Community >> The Pub