Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGreegus
Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Eastern Missouri
North East Missouri Ident, white cap, pink gills,
    #11024353 - 09/08/09 09:38 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Habitat:
These were found on mid to high elevation within an old growth deciduous forest.

Gills:
Adnate to Decurrent, pink-violet colored,interspersed lamellulae, close to sub-distant  (I believe, bear with me, I am new to this still.)

Stem:
Club shape, fibrous, white-pink

Cap:
1-5 inches, convex-plane, filbrillose (cortina) veil when newly emerged, dry, st8-uplifted-incurved margin(That's a lot of help huh?  lol), smooth to slightly scaly cuticle.

Spore print color:
Have placed several different caps within various stages of development on a white piece of paper for several hours.  I have not seen any spore pattern as of yet.  The caps are covered with cups.  I wonder if I got to them late in the day or if I waited way too long to do my spore printing.  I should have spore printed them in the woods I suppose.   

Bruising:
Not quite for certain if a darker red or violet color when picked qualifies? 

Other information:
I am not certain of the smell.  I am horrible at labeling variations of this sensory modality.  Found mid-day during moderate fall temp of around 80 degrees after two weeks of constant early morning fog coupled with intermittent sprinkles.  The ground has remained wet for awhile.

These things jumped out at me while I was going on a hike.  I picked about four lbs of them.  I honestly should have waited to pick them until after I verified what a few of them were.  I made sure to leave plenty out of each area.  Plus was using a net bag to carry them in except for several that were sealed in tuperware for spore printing. (which has not gone well so far)

I am down to thinking they are either Clitocybe nuda or cortinarius alboviolaceus.  Was hoping to determine through spore print but I won't get into that again.

I gave up earlier this summer and late last summer on trying to find an active mushrooms in this area.  I was wanting to just plain eat these.  If they are edible, should I soak them in salt water?  I do not want to turn them to rubber or mush.   

Any help in identifying these would be greatly appreciated.  If you are able to ident with a decent amount of certainty, I would like to know what the give away features were.  I am still learning!

--------------------
Slowly learning from you, David Arora, and Paul Stamets

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineYou can all etibem
Stranger than strangest

Re: North East Missouri Ident, white cap, pink gills, [Re: Greegus]
    #11024432 - 09/08/09 09:51 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

This is Laccaria ochropurpurea and is in my opinion the only Laccaria worth eating. it has widely spaced purple gills, a tough stalk and white spores.

OfflineYou can all etibem
Stranger than strangest

Re: North East Missouri Ident, white cap, pink gills, [Re: You can all etibem]
    #11024453 - 09/08/09 09:54 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I must add; Just eat the caps, the stalks are too tough and stringy to bother with.

OfflineGreegus
Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Eastern Missouri
Re: North East Missouri Ident, white cap, pink gills, [Re: Greegus]
    #11025046 - 09/08/09 11:43 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Thankyou very much.  I appreciate the help.  Just the caps eh?  Good thing that most of them have large caps.  Any recommended way to prepare them?

--------------------
Slowly learning from you, David Arora, and Paul Stamets

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures