Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinelibertaire
liberator
Male

Nicotiana sylvestris (Indian Peace Pipe)
    #11008602 - 09/06/09 12:21 PM (5 years, 2 months ago)

I'm currently trying my hand at this species of tobacco, my first tobacco experience.  I wasn't able to plant anything till pretty late since we didn't move here until may, which is when I started the seedlings, so I'm hoping that it flowers before winter, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't.  I had a question though to anyone who knows or has had experience with this plant.  Is this a smokeable variety of tobacco?  The nick name would suggest that it is. (Indian Peace Pipe)  I'm not sure though, because I've read in certain places that all parts of the plant are poisonous if consumed and if you don't prepare it properly, it could be left with a toxic level of these alkaloids still in it.  Is this true?  If so, does anyone know of the proper way to cure it, or where I would be able to find this information?  Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.  I'll be posting pictures soon.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblevadub
nuggets
Male User Gallery

Re: Nicotiana sylvestris (Indian Peace Pipe) [Re: libertaire]
    #11010162 - 09/06/09 05:42 PM (5 years, 2 months ago)

Wikipedia

Quote:

Nicotiana sylvestris (Woodland Tobacco) is a plant native to South America, but sometimes grown in gardens for its coarse form and strongly scented flowers. The leaves are simple, with the blade partially surrounding the stem. Flowers are tubular, white, borne in large clusters above the foliage.

This plant is thought to be one of the parents of Nicotiana tabacum, the basis of most modern tobacco production. It is usually combined with Nicotiana rustica to lower the strength of N. rustica's tobacco.

I'd just stick to smoking the leaves and you should be in the clear.

Offlinelibertaire
liberator
Male

Re: Nicotiana sylvestris (Indian Peace Pipe) [Re: vadub]
    #11011021 - 09/06/09 08:37 PM (5 years, 2 months ago)

See, I'm not sure how accurate that is though, because I've read that it may be way more potent that rustica, so adding it to lower strength doesn't even make sense.  I'm not sure if I want to even risk it unless I can find a reliable source that says what alkaloids it contains that may or may not be harmful.  Unfortunately, I've searched on google for about an hour and haven't been able to find anything of the sort.

Offlinesidvivius
south narvalo
Male User Gallery

Loc: south of France
    #11012879 - 09/07/09 04:02 AM (5 years, 2 months ago)

I know it for ornemental purpose... I don't think it to be really safe to consume... it is often planted on roundabouts here.
It's a beautiful and easy plant to grow !

Offlinesatyr
אתה בעצמך יודע

Loc: Alpha Canis Majoris
    #11013773 - 09/07/09 11:36 AM (5 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

libertaire said:  Is this a smokeable variety of tobacco?  The nick name would suggest that it is. (Indian Peace Pipe)  I'm not sure though, because I've read in certain places that all parts of the plant are poisonous if consumed and if you don't prepare it properly, it could be left with a toxic level of these alkaloids still in it.  Is this true?  If so, does anyone know of the proper way to cure it, or where I would be able to find this information?  soon.

Of course, ALL tobacco is smokeable, thought this one isn't very popular for the reason that it does not contain nicotine. BUT, it does have other alkaloids that make it worth experimenting with.
And as for it containing poisonous alkaloids, of course this is true, ALL tobacco is poisonous, and if consumed improperly, has the potential to kill. Remember, nicotine itself is a deadly nerve toxin. Just stick to smoking and you will be safe.
As for curing, I've outlined some basic principles in this thread

--------------------
Looking for Astrophytum asterias specimens; have cacti for trade :pm:

Edited by satyr (09/07/09 11:37 AM)

Offlinelibertaire
liberator
Male

Re: Nicotiana sylvestris (Indian Peace Pipe) [Re: satyr]
    #11013784 - 09/07/09 11:40 AM (5 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

libertaire said:  Is this a smokeable variety of tobacco?  The nick name would suggest that it is. (Indian Peace Pipe)  I'm not sure though, because I've read in certain places that all parts of the plant are poisonous if consumed and if you don't prepare it properly, it could be left with a toxic level of these alkaloids still in it.  Is this true?  If so, does anyone know of the proper way to cure it, or where I would be able to find this information?  soon.

Of course, ALL tobacco is smokeable, thought this one isn't very popular for the reason that it does not contain nicotine. BUT, it does have other alkaloids that make it worth experimenting with.
And as for it containing poisonous alkaloids, of course this is true, ALL tobacco is poisonous, and if consumed improperly, has the potential to kill. Remember, nicotine itself is a deadly nerve toxin. Just stick to smoking and you will be safe.
As for curing, I've outlined some basic principles in this thread
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fixed. :smile:

I don't really understand how if it has the potential kill if not properly prepared, smoking it is fine.  This makes very little sense to me.  Thanks for that link though, I'll definitely check it out.  I'll probably just let this variety grow out to flower this year and leave it at that.  Don't feel like taking an unnecessary risk like that.  I'll just buy some seeds of a commonly smoked variety and try it out next year.

Offlinesatyr
אתה בעצמך יודע

#11013903 - 09/07/09 12:09 PM (5 years, 2 months ago)

I don't really understand how if it has the potential kill if not properly prepared, smoking it is fine.  This makes very little sense to me. 

Simple; if you eat it, make tea with it, or extract it, then it can kill you.
Smoking is a much safer form of consumption than any other method. When you smoke, you are instantly getting the effects from the alkaloids, and can smoke as much as necessary and then stop. With nicotine especially, you will black out before you smoke a lethal dose. (I've done this :lol:)

--------------------

Offlinelibertaire
liberator
Male

#11013939 - 09/07/09 12:16 PM (5 years, 2 months ago)

Interesting, thanks for the info.  I actually thought I might have gotten nicotine poisoning the other day.  Me and my friend smoked two spliffs, one after the other, very heavy on tobacco, and since I'm not a smoker, I think it may have been too much nicotine for me and I ended up puking and feeling poisoned over all for about an hour.  I could be wrong though, it could have been something else altogether.  Thanks for the info though, very helpful.

Offlinesatyr
אתה בעצמך יודע

#11013961 - 09/07/09 12:20 PM (5 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

libertaire said:
Interesting, thanks for the info.  I actually thought I might have gotten nicotine poisoning the other day.  Me and my friend smoked two spliffs, one after the other, very heavy on tobacco, and since I'm not a smoker, I think it may have been too much nicotine for me and I ended up puking and feeling poisoned over all for about an hour.  I could be wrong though, it could have been something else altogether.  Thanks for the info though, very helpful.

No problem.

It is quite easy to get nicotine poisoning. The "buzz" you feel from nicotine is actually the result of its toxic effects upon the body. Too much and it really feels shitty.

--------------------

Offlinesidvivius
south narvalo
Male User Gallery

Loc: south of France
    #11019169 - 09/08/09 06:10 AM (5 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

I don't really understand how if it has the potential kill if not properly prepared, smoking it is fine.  This makes very little sense to me. 

If you drink a decoction of it, for example !

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden