Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinetictactone
Stranger
trigger pinning
    #10964665 - 08/30/09 05:58 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

i know i'm a noob and everything but i tried the search function and couldnt find a real clear answer...

this is the first time i'm growing but i followed the teks, kept everything clean, i even made a seperate area of my room covered in plastic to keep everything sterilized as best as possible, needless to say, molding, bacteria, infection, etc. is not my problem.  i got my first cakes fully colonized, one sat for a week, one sat for 6 days, and 3 others sat for 4 days, after total colonization.  i then birthed them and did a dunk and roll, soaked them for about 14 hours in cold water, roughly 42 degrees (give or take for the differences when ice melted and more was added).  they are now in a terrarium.  they have been there a little over a week and the only thing that has happened is more mycelia growth through the vermiculite from the dunk and roll.  i used perlite to keep the humidity up, and a fish tank heater (not a bubbler) in a glass jar of water to keep the temperature up.  i'm right around 97% humidity and it stays between 76 and 82 degrees depending on the temp outside.  they get 3-6 hours of light a day (depending on my work schedule) and i'm wondering if i'm doing anything wrong because its been over a week and i still have no signs of pinning.  all i have is a lot of mycelia growth.  i'm just wondering if i'm doing anything wrong, and what i need to do to fix it.  there are no signs of mold, no bad smells, no gray spots, everything (in my opinion) looks like it should, but i am a first timer after all.  any help will be great because i have some more jars to birth but if i need to do a different set up i will.  i also tried a crumble and case using a cake pan, perlite, and pete moss/vermiculite and those smell like they got moldy, so i was also wondering if i did anything wrong on that, i followed the tek for that one.  i was trying a couple different ways to see which one worked better as far as time and yields go.  thanks in advanced for any help.  oh yeah, i fan them at least 3 times a day (once every 3-6 hours) to get oxygen in there, and i started leaving the lid cracked yesterday to see if too little oxygen is the problem.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinesage1o1
Warrior
Male User Gallery

Re: trigger pinning [Re: tictactone]
    #10964719 - 08/30/09 06:35 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

okay, according to rr (our guru around here) cold dunking does nothing beneficial for cubensis.  its a tropical species.  im not saying dunking is useless , just the need for lower water temps.  also, i read some recent posts stating that crumbling then casing, is a bad idea.  it just uses up precocious energy colonizing, with no resulting benefits.  that burnt up energy couldve been used to make mushies.  but dont get me wrong, using cake slices (or whatever) to colonize bulk is defiantly a good idea. as far as youre pinning prob goes, it sounds like optimal conditions are being met..umm are you sure that Rh is adequate?? it absolutely has to be! id even recommend >95% in the pinning stage. (i know you said you had that the Rh right, just checking).  and dont forget frequent air exchange (fae).  you got that goin right?  i ask because you say you got lots of myc growth, and that is a direct reflection of gas exchange, rather than the needed fae.  in fact, if youre Rh is right, i bet its all a fae problem.  GL :thumbup:

Offlinetictactone
Stranger
Re: trigger pinning [Re: sage1o1]
    #10964732 - 08/30/09 06:45 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

i didnt cold dunk for growth, i dunked to rehydrate and i read to keep it cold to kill off bacteria.  assuming that Rh is relative humidity then yes, thats fine, what is fae?  going by what youre saying it sounds like even with my fanning i'm not getting enough o2 into there, maybe i'll run like a fan/filter set up to keep fresh air going in an out, or is that a bad idea?

Offlinesage1o1
Warrior
Male User Gallery

Re: trigger pinning [Re: tictactone]
    #10964744 - 08/30/09 06:57 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

yes, fae is frequent air exchange, and Rh is relative humidity.  oh yeah, and i just read youre original post again, and i see at the bottom it says how much you fan, duh, heh sorry.  dude, if there's no holes in the terrarium and just a crack in the lid, that's what id say is youre problem. because, honestly even fanning 3 times a day is not enough for a terrarium with no holes.  you should (imho, take it or leave it) fan more often, yet still keeping up Rh, and do not add a fan.  from what ive read, this is a very bad idea, and can lead to substrate dry out.  maybe someone will contradict this, we'll see...

OfflineThyrax
No way
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montreal, Quebec
Re: trigger pinning [Re: sage1o1]
    #10964757 - 08/30/09 07:10 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Dont worry man, your pins will come pretty soon :wink:

--------------------

Offlinethedoc8
TooMuch
 User Gallery

Re: trigger pinning [Re: Thyrax]
    #10964794 - 08/30/09 07:51 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Cold slows down the process.

You have not given enough time, I did not get pins on my cakes till like day 17.

Offlinethcisme
Stranger
Loc: Northern ireland
Re: trigger pinning [Re: thedoc8]
    #10964915 - 08/30/09 09:19 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Fresh air must be a pinnning trigger coz I've got 3 jars that were left with their lids off beside an open window and there growin about 4 pins through the dry verm layer.

Just noticed them today, they're fully colonized but not solid white, don't know if this is a good thing? Can I just pick em off, dunk and roll them and put them in the FC? or could I wait until there full sized then Dunk n roll ?

Offlinetictactone
Stranger
Re: trigger pinning [Re: thcisme]
    #10991014 - 09/03/09 07:59 AM (5 years, 30 days ago)

i got pinning, i'm like 14 days in i think (i lost track) i had a couple mold on me though, i honestly cant figure out why...i kept everything clean.  everything i used was sterilized, i even sanitized the air with a bleach/water mix before opening the terrarium, any ideas?  oh, i found out that the fish tank heater i was using died a 2 days ago, would that have anything to do with it?  i didnt realize that it stopped working so for 2 days the temp sat (i'm guessing) around 65 degrees or so, and the humidity was way down...its my own fault though, i shouldve been checking the gauges every time i popped the lid off, at least then i wouldve seen that i had a low temp and low humidity.  anyway, out of the ones that didnt mold, one is now pinning, i'm hoping the rest will recover.  either way though, i have 9 more cakes ready to birth and another 5 or so that are almost 100% colonized.  i saw that someone said that cold slows down the process so should i still dunk and roll?  or is it safe to dunk and roll with warm water?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation