Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineLiquidSmoke
My title's cooler than yours DBK

Loc: S.A.G.G.Y.B.A.L.L.S.
Morimoto's 9 course Omakase
    #10868169 - 08/16/09 01:06 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I grew up watching Iron chef, so this was one of my most anticipated meals.

Morimoto's is his first real personal restaurant in the U.S., and many ppl have told me that it's superior to the New York chain.

I got two seats for me and my lady friend at the sushi bar, in the middle of all the action...

The restaurant offers 3 tastings, depending on the price u'd get different supplements and ingrediants used.  We went all out and got the most expensive Omakase available.  It consists of three different portions in the tastings, the raw bar, the hot dishes, and the sushi bar.

just the cocktail i ordered, it was the "white pear" cocktail.  sipped on it throughout the meal.

Onto the food!

Raw Bar:

Minced Toro tar tar with a soy dashi topped with Osetra caviar.  Delicious, great textures, and the use of Wasabe was a nice way to cut into the saltiness.

Four oyster preparations, from left to right, soy-yuzu, orange salsa, ceviche style, and an oyster ginger broth reduction.  The oysters were incredibly fresh, and each preparation exentuated a different aspect of the flavor of the oyster.  The ceviche preparation was my favorite.

Fresh sea scallop "cooked" sashimi.  The chef had actually taken the live scallops and trimmed them in front of us.  He then takes this hot oil flavored with ginger and scallions, and uses it to lightly sear each thin slice of scallop, topped with a soy dashi, various herbs and sesame seeds.

Crunchy salty, delicious.  The remarkable thing was how sweet and flavorfull the scallops were.  I had never eaten a scallop that had been alive just minutes ago, and the difference in flavor is HUGE compared to store bought/frozen scallops.

This is the chef torching the skin on a hamachi fillet we would have on  this dish:

Hamachi and sakai salmon salad with torched hamachi skin.  The hamachi, due to the torching, had this nice contract between the warm, savory, cripsy skin, and the fresh raw flesh.  The salad was a nice cushion of flavor to cut into the fish

This was the end of the raw bar portion of the meal

Palate cleanser:

Spirimint and honey-due soda.  Very suttle flavor, not too sweet, just refreshing, minty, and a great palate cleaner.

Hot dishes:

Half lobster, roasted with the chef's own secret spice mixture, served with citrust creme fraiche.  Delicious delicious delicious.  But brace yourself for this next dish.  Before it came out, the waitor told us "this is the best dish of the meal, and it's only available to the highest price tastings".

Kobe. Beef. Fillet. Mignon.  That's all that really needs to be said.  On a bed of rice stew and a plum-soy reduction.  It's topped with slives of white truffles.  This is the dish that brought the whole "euphoric" sensation.  The meat melts in ur mouth, and the nice sweet savory accompaniment was very well matched.

Sushi bar:

From left to right, Toro, fatty tuna, japanese snapper.

There were actually several other pieces placed together at the time, including giant clam.

My fellow diner remarked how fresh and delicious the toro was, and I agreed with her.  This was probably the best toro sushi i've ever had, simply due to the quality of the fiwsh, flavor, texture....

Some pictures from the sushi bar, some masive platters of sushi i would have loved to have stolen.

the head sushi chef's knife.  He told me that Morimoto had a specific knife welder in Japan he uses to custom make all of his knives.  This was one sick piece of cooking equipment.

Desert:

It looks like a typical chocolate cake/tart, but it was made from corn meal instead of flour, which had a really nice texture, gritty, richer, just plain delicious.  Served with a rasberry sauce, honey, and a sweet corn mousse.

Delicious meal, definitely would go back again.  One thing i found remarkable about alot of his dishes were, despite the variety of unique preparations uses on all of his dishes, he stayed loyal the product.  In the end the one thing u taste most is the natural flavor of the protein.  And that's what was most impressive about the meal.

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShockValue
Because, ShockValue.

Loc: Tipping at windmills.
Re: Morimoto's 9 course Omakase [Re: LiquidSmoke]
    #10868339 - 08/16/09 01:48 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

God that looks good.  I only have one thing to say:

"DEAR GOD WHY DO I HAVE TO BE ALERGIC TO SEAFOOD?!?!"

ANyway, sounds like an epic meal. Thanks for the report.

--------------------
  • When we built temples to view the stars, we knew about all 2000 of them.

InvisibleChespirito
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#10868470 - 08/16/09 02:34 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Is this in LA?  Shit you seem to know way more about the food here than I do. 

And Kobe beef filet?  Seems like it wouldn't make too much difference, I mean theres very little fat in a filet anyways.  A prime filet vs. a choice filet is hard to distinguish in the first place

OfflineLiquidSmoke

Re: Morimoto's 9 course Omakase [Re: Chespirito]
    #10868542 - 08/16/09 03:05 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Chespirito said:

And Kobe beef filet?  Seems like it wouldn't make too much difference, I mean theres very little fat in a filet anyways.  A prime filet vs. a choice filet is hard to distinguish in the first place

its in philly

and yes, there is quite a step up when it comes to kobe beef fillet.

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

InvisibleChespirito
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#10868671 - 08/16/09 03:44 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Oh some reason I thought you lived in LA.  I guess Id have to try it.  I could see a Kobe ribeye being pretty wild

OfflineLiquidSmoke

#10875620 - 08/17/09 12:34 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Chespirito said:

I grew up in LA, but i'm in philly for school

and i do know alot about LA food, especially alot more of the hidden treasures.

THere are numerous hole in the wall places in LA which the localers keep to themselves.

--------------------

InvisibleChespirito
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#10875944 - 08/17/09 01:37 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Yea I was born here also and I know good places that I like to eat at.  However Im not too versed on the fine dining places in this city.  It never really struck me as worth figuring out as its not really known as a fine dining destination for the most part.  LA has some great sushi though that's for sure.

OfflineLiquidSmoke

#10876296 - 08/17/09 02:39 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

i'm alot more familiar with where all the great asian cuisine is in the city.

There are some incredibly authentic ethnic experiences to find well off the beaten path.

As for fine dining, LA has some very nice hidden treasures,  you just have to really look beyond the snobbiness and appreciate what many chefs in LA are trying to accomplish.

--------------------

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
    #10877774 - 08/17/09 06:53 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I love reading through your picture posts..  My favorite was the one in Italy at the alley table.  Anyway, do you take pics and notes because I would never remember the names of them dishes..

Then again I don't have a doctors memory. :mad:

Nice post. :thumbup:

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

OfflineLiquidSmoke

Re: Morimoto's 9 course Omakase [Re: GabbaDj]
    #10878326 - 08/17/09 08:26 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

i take pics but i dont take notes

it would look kind of gay bringin in a pad and pen to be honest.

i just remember what the waiter tells me about each dish and if i forget ill just ask about an ingrediant or a certain component.

It's easier to remember because with a meal like this u do have the flavors sort of stuck in memory.

Trust me i dont get to do this very often so i cherish it as much as possible when i do get to.

--------------------

InvisibleChespirito
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#10879725 - 08/17/09 11:49 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I always enjoy going to Koreatown for a night of food and bars along with possibly some really bizarre unadvertised bar.  Ive had some weird nights in Koreatown thats for sure.

I know of good restaurants, but I meant in terms of real fine dining, like michelin starred dining, LA isn't too big on that.  Which is OK by me for the most part.  Whenever Im in nyc though I tend to go hogwild at times on some restaurant bullshit.

OfflineLiquidSmoke

#10883831 - 08/18/09 04:14 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Chespirito said:

I know of good restaurants, but I meant in terms of real fine dining, like michelin starred dining, LA isn't too big on that.  Which is OK by me for the most part.  Whenever Im in nyc though I tend to go hogwild at times on some restaurant bullshit.

My friend, you should never judge the quality of a fine dining restaurant based on michelin stars.

It's an indicator no doubt, but that's about it.

Momofuku is currently considered to be by most new york chefs, the most sought after dining experience in New York.

Yet their flagship restaurant didn't earn a single michelin star, because the low prices of their cuisine failed to distinguish them as "haute" cuisine

--------------------

InvisibleChespirito
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#10883939 - 08/18/09 04:27 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I think if you read my post again you might pick up on a different layer of meaning

OfflineLiquidSmoke

#10884177 - 08/18/09 05:08 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

i know, i just go on rants sometimes

so what places in korea town do u go to?

--------------------

InvisibleChespirito
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#10884349 - 08/18/09 05:29 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Well the classics are ChoSan Galbee and Soot Bull Jeep.  That said Ive been to other places with some Korean friends of mine that were excellent also though I have no clue what they were called.  Koreatown in general is a strange place as theres so many bars/restaurants there its hard to get a good handle on it.  I dont go there very often for some reason so maybe if I did Id make sense of it.

OfflineLiquidSmoke

#10884414 - 08/18/09 05:38 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

hahaa chosan galbee is a classic staple

I'll give u some of my personal favorites:

Best Szechuan i've had is at Chung King in Monterey

Best Dim sum is NOT Emporer's Pavilion, even though it's pretty good.  The biggest variety and best quality is CBS right up the treet from Philipe's french dip.

I'm also a big fan of the Curry House in little tokyo.  The pork cutlet delux with house curry is something i crave on occasion.

--------------------

InvisibleChespirito
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#10884915 - 08/18/09 06:40 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Im not a big fan of Dim Sum for the most part, including Empress Pavilion.  Ive never tried CBS though Ive heard that in general to get good chinese food one has to go to the San Gabriel Valley, though Im not sure where as I have no interest in driving that far (though Pasadena isn't too far).

Philipes is good as far as French Dip goes.  Though honestly the rivalry between them and Coles is real dumb, both are fine.

OfflineLiquidSmoke

#10885523 - 08/18/09 08:12 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

u ever been to el Tepeyac Cafe?

--------------------

InvisibleChespirito
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#10885765 - 08/18/09 08:41 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Yea Ive been there, definitely a good place.  But theres so many places in LA similar to it.  For instance gayot.com has their top 10 of LA mexican food.  A lot of that is nouveau Mexican dining but they list some normal places.  Ive been to a few of them and they were excellent.  Zagat lists http://www.lahuasteca.com/ as the top Mexican joint.  I went there once (its in Lynwood though), it was also good. 

I guess my point is that there's too much Mexican food in LA for anyone to really know the best one. I always enjoy finding one that does the more obscure Mexican dishes like the weird southern mexican dishes or the northeastern dishes.  I love my tacos but 90% of Mexican food in the world is generally just a taqueria as far as I can tell

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder