Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinehoudinihar
Adventurous Learner
 User Gallery

Agaricus blazei Grow
    #10749125 - 07/27/09 12:44 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

i've been waiting for this one friends. got some other things out of the way and now i can start my Agaricus blazei grow.

a little background first. this agaricus is not only an edible but also a medicinal with some pretty astounding benefits for the consumer, including immune system enhancement and it fights against certain cancers as well. stamets has a section on it in his 3rd edition of "Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms." it is a warm weather species which is great for where i live. and it can be grown outdoors in beds. it is termed a complex saprophyte and can be grown on composted material. these mushrooms can make large caps up to around 12" in diameter.

i got my specimen as a 10cc multispore syringe from a company in Austria. and here is their link. it arrived in good shape and within a reasonble time from Europe.
http://www.mrcashop.org/mushroom_shop/index.php

i am doing the initial grow on a modified BRF---there is a little composted manure and peat, plus gypsum added to the standard BRF mix.
plus i inoculated some MEA agar plates (8 in all) as well and these were enhanced with a little gypsum and coffee water. no antibiotics were used.

here are some preliminary BRF pictures.

it took several days to get anything going on the BRF that i could see. i found out the mycelia is thin and wispy like my volvariella volvacea was, and this is borne out in the stamets book "Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms." on page 208 he has an excellent picture of this feature. made me feel better. you'll also see this in the pics i submitted. apparently it doesn't start out with thick rhizomorphic strands like some other species.

i got four good plates out of the 8 multispore and have since made wedge transfers to 11 other modified agar plates. hopefully these will turn out to be good P1 plates.

wish me luck with this learning experience. it s/b fun.

houdinihar

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesolumvita
Q.B.E.
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Agaricus blazei Grow [Re: houdinihar]
    #10749183 - 07/27/09 12:53 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

luck, it certainly does start out thin and wispy and get better as it ages, what bulk substrates are you going to use?

--------------------
One of these days all the answers will be revealed until then we learn from each other!

www.mushrush.co.za

Offlinehoudinihar
Adventurous Learner
 User Gallery

Re: Agaricus blazei Grow [Re: solumvita]
    #10749467 - 07/27/09 01:41 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

my main bulk substrate will be pasteurized fresh compost. i have it coooking in the can as we speak. i may try variants as well, but this will be my main type to try first.

houdinihar

Offlinehoudinihar
Adventurous Learner
 User Gallery

#10767984 - 07/30/09 11:54 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

update time:
some good news--some bad--
first the bad- half the brf agaricus multispore looks like it has some weird contaminant, maybe bacterial. i don't know.
check the pic:

but the good news is i am cooking (pasteurizing) up my homemade compost mix now and will inoculate it with the good jars of agaricus when it cools later today.

here is a fully colonized brf that is nice--still wispy even with rhizos--

and my cooking arrangement on the stovetop:

my agaricus agar plates are doing well--had one contam and it has been destroyed. i have wbs ready to inoculate when those plates are ready.

will update again at the right time.

houdinihar

InvisibleFractalXplora
Grainiack
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #10768581 - 07/30/09 01:27 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

looking good man, keep us updated on this on, just being to learn about the medicinal shrooms.

I've used the http://www.mrcashop.org/mushroom_shop/index.php on many occations, and yes they are a remarkable sponser for international postage .:thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleFractalXplora
Grainiack
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #10768589 - 07/30/09 01:29 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

doh; double post;

edit;

fasinating;]

Quote:

Agaricus originates from Brazil; it has been discovered only 30 years ago and has been commercially cultivated in Asia and South America since 1993.

Its most important compounds include vitamin B1, B2 and a group of polysaccharides (complex sugars) believed to be the compounds responsible for its immune-boosting effects. All known medicinal mushrooms contain polysaccharides, however, Agaricus contains the highest amount. After several successful clinical trials theses substances have been used as an immune adjuvant in the treatment of HIV patients in the US; in Japan, they are widely used in cancer therapy.
The polysaccharides activate the immune system and thereby increase the production of interleukin-1, which indirectly functions to destroy or prevent the proliferation of cancer cells. In addition, natural killer cells, which attack infected cells and possible cancerous cells and destroy bacteria as well as viruses, are activated.

http://www.vitalpilze.de/Help+in+the+fight+against+cancer_3_24.html

--------------------

Edited by FractalXplora (07/30/09 01:33 PM)

InvisibleJef
Out-of-work Sex Slave
Male User Gallery

Loc: near Duncan, BC
Re: Agaricus blazei Grow [Re: FractalXplora]
    #10770007 - 07/30/09 05:23 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Maybe it is the particular strain that was discovered thirty years ago.

From Aloha Medicinals

http://www.alohamedicinals.com/HealingMush_Private_10-18-06.pdf

William A. Murrill had found the mushroom in 1945 on the lawn of his
friend R.W. Blaze, who lived in Gainesville, Florida. For years, this new
mushroom, which is unknown in Europe and far from common in North
America, remained in the dark until it was rediscovered in the 1960s by
Japanese coffee growers working in Brazil

--------------------
I am my own lab rat.

Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I will remember.  Involve me and I will learn.

Edited by Jef (07/30/09 05:24 PM)

Offlinehoudinihar
Adventurous Learner
 User Gallery

Re: Agaricus blazei Grow [Re: Jef]
    #10775124 - 07/31/09 02:37 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

a quicky little update......

i decided to keep the contaminated jars and put them in their own compost tray with the raw compost from my outdoor pile--unpasteurized. i am not trying to protect them in any way. plus after their incubation time i will put them outside. our temps here are running in the high 90's every single day. this is a warm weather species so we'll see how they do if they survive the initial incubation times. average humidity here ranges from 60-100% daily.

i'll keep you further posted.

Quote:

Maybe it is the particular strain that was discovered thirty years ago.

From Aloha Medicinals

yeah, who knows Jef? stamets says this species is also more prevalent in the U. S. southeast than earlier supposed, so it is possible we have a newer gene pool. i guess the only way to really tell would be with dna analysis. thanks for the addition.

houdinihar

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck