Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBitchCakes
The captain ofouter space

Loc: Sea Attole
Damn alder...
    #1074694 - 11/21/02 05:01 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Ive spent the last two days drving and walking around seattle and found a grand total of one active mushroom, a lone p. stuntzii growing in someone's front yard. It seems all I can find is cedar woodchips....is it just me or are people using alder less these days?

aren't there any neighberhoods with large quantities of new alder mulch? give me some pointers...pleeease
:tongue:

--------------------
-I'm a dork-

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: Damn alder... [Re: BitchCakes]
    #1074895 - 11/21/02 06:21 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

hey bitch,

It seems that most of the parks around here use hardwood mulch exclusively, I don't recall seeing any with cedar mulch.  Rarely am I dissapointed after strolling around the parks in my area.  Pretty much any other government property also uses the good stuff, power stations, fire stations, schools etc.

http://www.cityofseattle.net/parks/parkspaces/parklist.htm

The above link may come in handy :smile:

Good luck

DH

Edited by DethHed (11/21/02 06:28 PM)

Offlinetwistedweather
ka-blammo

Re: Damn alder... [Re: spores]
    #1074912 - 11/21/02 06:34 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

excellent suggestion!!

its always good to keep a eye out for alder jus when cruising to your destination, season or not.

dethhead jus has the marvelous shroom sense blessed by a psychadelic few!

funny thing is why doesnt the alderwood mal (lynwood) l have any alderwood mulch?

--------------------

Take a music bath once or twice a week for a few seasons, and you will find that it is to the soul what the water bath is to the body.
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Damn alder... [Re: twistedweather]
    #1075021 - 11/21/02 07:34 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I mentioned this to Roadkill just the otherday as we drove by the Alderwood Mall. There are alder trees around some of the mall but the original steerco alder woodchips have not been used their in more than 20 years.

It is al red muclh and nothing psychedelic will grow from that red mulch. ANd regarding alder, it is usually this last six years or so branches and twigs not bark, although their is light alder bark around the branches and twings.

Ten to twenty-five yearas ago the p. cyanescens grew mostly in fine ground up woodchip such as the steerco mulch they sell at harbor Island here in Seattle but certain areas get ceetain mulches and it depends on what the landscappers is getting his muclch for and how much he neds to sell a particular branf. Mulch like crops are also rotated every three to five years to s different kind.

Also the stopping of loggin and clercuts adds tot he disappearing alder around the city the same way all of the one story non poluting buildings have spring up in pasturelands south of Tukwilla towards renton, Auburn and KEnt Washington. the disappearing pastures caused a large disappearence in good manured fertilizers which use to produce 70% of every new lawn with P. stuntzii 15 years ago.

Progress makes these changes and rising costs of tree by-roducts such as beauty bark, wood chips or cark mulch or branches and stems.

'For instance the UW us to have stuntzii's around every building in 1972-1978. Now the school cuts dowwn their old trees and uses those to mulch in their buildings.

What can one do, go shread your own alfder trees with a permit from warehauser land's many disappearing clearcuts.
mj

Roadkill has a great picture of me and his kid in a clearcut for p. pelliculosas which ahve yet to come up. I will call him and see if he will post it.

Mj

Have shroomy day.

Visit my site now hosted by the Shroomery at:

mushroomjohn.com

Offlinetwistedweather
ka-blammo

Re: Damn alder... [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1075101 - 11/21/02 07:59 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Wow!

thanks for the info mjshroomer!

--------------------

Take a music bath once or twice a week for a few seasons, and you will find that it is to the soul what the water bath is to the body.
Oliver Wendell Holmes

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: Damn alder... [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1076552 - 11/22/02 09:28 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, it seems like the places that have good regular alder/etc wood chippings do it themselves these days. Certain parks around town have a lot of trimmings to get rid of, cheaper to chip it and use it themselves than pay for transport/disposal. We recently had some landscaping done on the house, and I asked the guy specifically for alder. HE couldn't come up with anything. Cedar mixes only. There appears to be no market for alder, likely because of the reason we like it so much. . .it breaks down quickly.
There is alder out there. After a windstorm, cleanup companies generate a lot of chips. Utility companies, etc. I tried calling a few last spring, no luck.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification