Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesixletterscurvy
User of Search Engine
Male User Gallery

drying out and dunking before flushes
    #10465375 - 06/07/09 11:22 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I have searched and searched and I found some answers but not enough. I achieve 4oz dry flushes on my first flush, everytime. However, I have been immediately dunking right after harvest and only getting about 1-2oz dry on 2nd, 3rd, etc flushes. I also take the entire substrate out of the tray and dunk it upside down in a large tub fitted with screws on each side. I use window screening to act as a net to hold the substrate under water, and its upside down so the pin-side isn't damaged.

The best answer on this subject I found was:

"After harvest, it's a good idea to fill any divots created by picking with fresh casing material. Don't wait for it to colonize, because it rarely will. Don't re-case. Trays can be soaked for a few hours under running water. Just let the faucet fill up the tray and gently run over the sides and down the drain. Use jars of water or rocks to hold the substrate from floating. After four or five hours, most substrates will be re-hydrated.

I like to wait up to a week after picking a flush before doing the above. During this rest time, allow the substrate to dry out a bit, and then soak as above and return to fruiting conditions.
RR "

So from reading this, I assume my first mistake is dunking the day after harvest. Usually 24 hours. So up to a week should be waited to dry out the substrate? This will cause a sort of "dry shock", to give a larger flush?

I assume my second mistake is the way in which is dunk?, i.e. "re-casing" Is taking the substrate out and dunking in these chambers causing some damage in my next flushes? The substrate is so large that the amount of weight (from a jar or rock as said above) needed to hold it down seems to me would damage the top of the casing...I say this because before I went with the upside down method in tubs with a screen holding it down, I used jars and they were not heavy enough unless I used enough jars to cover the surface, which caused so much damage I still didn't get good flushes. Is re-casing really THAT bad? Or is my method safe?

Those two questions answered would be super.

--------------------
Buy the ticket, take the ride.
-HST

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleprismism
 User Gallery

Re: drying out and dunking before flushes [Re: sixletterscurvy]
    #10466102 - 06/07/09 02:07 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

tldnr sorry.

--------------------
ephemeral anomalous

OfflineBuckeye Oysters
From Zero to Hero
 User Gallery

Re: drying out and dunking before flushes [Re: prismism]
    #10466140 - 06/07/09 02:16 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Letting the sub dry out helps reset the mushroom's natural cycle, which is what happens outdoors when it rains, fruits, then no rain for several days.  Also as the outside dries it forces new pins not to form while the moist inside continues to digest food and prepare for a new flush.

25-50% of first flush is typical on subsequent flushes. 

--------------------
Evolution is Lamarckism in disguise.  Adaptation never creates a new species or trait, but rather the new species/trait always existed within the parent DNA until circumstances allowed it to be activated.  For instance, every wolf has the DNA for poodles, but that DNA would never be revealed without man selectively breeding for it.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: drying out and dunking before flushes [Re: Buckeye Oysters]
    #10466155 - 06/07/09 02:20 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

yeah ive heard that too.

RR stated the earlier that usuall you get 80% of what your substrate can offer in the first 2 flushes, after that its more time/cost effective to replace those trays to make full use of the space.

Plus its more contaminant prone after that point

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Offlinesixletterscurvy
User of Search Engine
Male User Gallery

Re: drying out and dunking before flushes [Re: veda_sticks]
    #10470602 - 06/08/09 12:14 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

great thanks. that answers my first question completely.

what about taking the substrate out and dunking in the separate chamber? I flip the sub upside down and the smooth bottom with no pins is held against a screen stretched across a larger tub filled with water. I then place a layer of casing soil on the bottom and around the sides, very little on top only where big chunks were taken out.

Is this form of re-casing bad? i only do this because so many times of weighing it down by putting a large glass dish or jars filled with water damages the future pinset..has anyone had opposite experience? like they smoosh the top of the casing with all them jar but still get good flushes where the weight was? it would help to know that..

--------------------
-HST

Offlinesixletterscurvy
User of Search Engine
Male User Gallery

#10476480 - 06/09/09 10:51 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

bump.

--------------------
-HST

OfflinePsuper
Psilocybin

Loc: PNW
    #10476535 - 06/09/09 11:03 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

With my trays, I loop string around the ends of the tray to keep the block in.  Much less damage than setting a weight on top.  If you don't like the side and bottom pinning, line the inside of the trays with a black plastic bag before spawning. :sun: ~Pixie~

--------------------
Clinical Management of High Dose Psilocybin Sessions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbHOTIqjZLk

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags