Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, 10cc Syringe, Agar, Wild Bird Seed, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinejoehinkle
JustLearning
Male

Loc: USA
Question for Lions Mane Experts
    #10390215 - 05/24/09 11:43 AM (5 years, 3 months ago)

I started my very first grain grow from agar to gain on 4/27.

I made two Blue Oyster and two Lions Mane grain jars.

I have since transferred those two Blues into 8 more jars.

Today, I am using 6 of those jars to created my first Oyster Log.

Here is a pic of my 6 jars. (I took the other two jars and expanded them into 12 for my next grow)

I am happy with the way the Blues grew but was unhappy with the Lions Mane.

It seemed to stall on agar, and when I placed agar wedges into grain - it seemed to just sit there (I made a mistake and did not limit gas exchange (full filter instead on limiting it with the ball cap and a couple of holes).  I placed saran wrap over the top and placed a small hole in the wrap to reduce gas exchange.

Again - they just seemed to do nothing.

10 days ago I transferred by two Blues into 10 new grain jars.  There were a few grains left in the jar when I was finished , so said what the hell - lets experiment (I considered the two Lions Mane jars dead) - and opened the jars and tossed in a few of the Blue grains.

A couple days later, I started to see very dense white blotches, almost like flecks of chalk, forming.  I tossed the jar in a corner and figured I would empty and clean it when I made the Blue transfers.

This is a pic of the jar - followed by a closeup.  Please excuse the depth of field - I think its a combination of macro lens and thick rounded ball jar glass that limits the focus area.

I'm sure that the growth is Lions Mane.

Is that the way it's supposed to look in a grain jar or it is trying to fruit?

I was planning on dumping the jar - but what if I opened it, misted it - do you think it would fruit?

Any comment would be appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: Question for Lions Mane Experts [Re: joehinkle]
    #10390408 - 05/24/09 12:43 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

It's over-colonized and is now fruiting in the jar. You can still inoculate bulk substrate material with those. Lion's Mane colonizes with faint mycelium at a rapid pace. So, next time use them or refrigerate them as soon as the faint mycelium covers all of the spawn.

OfflineGrzyby
Janitor w/light cooking duties
Male User Gallery

Re: Question for Lions Mane Experts [Re: Hotnuts]
    #10390597 - 05/24/09 01:34 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

The lions mane tubes i Purchased, started to fruit when about 30% colonized

InvisibleM.Reynolds
Capt. of Serenity
 User Gallery

Loc: Orbiting Deadwood
Re: Question for Lions Mane Experts [Re: Grzyby]
    #10397496 - 05/25/09 07:51 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

looks like my H.E. wbs jars.  I shake them to keep them from fruiting, but they will in pretty much every open space in the jar.

--------------------

OfflineSuchSmartMonkeys
mycologically driven individual
Male User Gallery

Re: Question for Lions Mane Experts [Re: M.Reynolds]
    #10402169 - 05/26/09 03:49 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

yeah, looks like Heri eri to me...  And i haven't much to add, except that has happened to me before.  And i can tell you from experience they will not fruit very well just on grains.  You need to spawn them to wood to get good fruits, they will just end up being all spindly and funky looking, no real big growth to speak of, and not enough for it to be worth it.  At this point, you could probably spawn to bulk, but you'd probably want to try to pick out as much of the fruiting body part of it as you can, or else you risk them rotting in the middle of the sub and causing contams along the way.  Heri eri has really interesting mycelium, It's hard to see it until it's fully colonized and it starts to whiten up, before that it just looks like slight spider webs or something of the like.  Good luck, and have fun with those things, Heri eri is fuckin delicious.

--------------------

Offlinejoehinkle
JustLearning
Male

Re: Question for Lions Mane Experts [Re: SuchSmartMonkeys]
    #10402449 - 05/26/09 04:51 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

I don't remember were I read it, but the source suggested NOT going to grain and then to a wood substrate but rather go to LC and then to the wood substrate.

That would parallel what you just said - unless I'm reading too much into it.

My next attempt with Heri eri, as you call it, - will be from agar to LC to wood.

I am really looking forward to tasting them!!!

InvisibleMephistophelian
Quasi Hob-Nobbery
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Camp Crystal Lake
    #10402677 - 05/26/09 05:43 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Here's a post by Micolo about LC -> substrate with Lions Mane. He knows his stuff, its a shame he isn't around anymore.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5140384#5140384

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: Question for Lions Mane Experts [Re: Grzyby]
    #10402908 - 05/26/09 06:31 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Grzyby said:
The lions mane tubes i Purchased, started to fruit when about 30% colonized

Limit the gas exchange by putting foil over the lids and taping around the edge of them. The high CO2 will keep the mycelium in vegetative gear.

Offlinejoehinkle
JustLearning
Male

Re: Question for Lions Mane Experts [Re: Mephistophelian]
    #10402925 - 05/26/09 06:35 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

So let's see if I can properly break apart what Micolo is saying

Micolo states *********************************

It's maybe mycelium growing in the jars?
I do grow Lion's Mane this way skipping grain spawn:
In 500ml Mason jar full at 60% water at PH 6. Insert 3 pieces of chicken catfood (cruched in powder) in each jars. Sterilize 30 min.. Inoculate with 3 little pieces of agar. Shake every 2 days. After 7 days inoculate 500 ml. jars 66% full sawdust mix with 10 % weat bran. Those can be use for the final transfer or for other spawn transfer. You'll need the bigest needle for serynge, if not it can jam in it. You'll see mycelium in the bottle. inoculate with at least 10 cc.
If you use spawn bags for the final transfer with 6 pounds substrat at 30% nutrients you'll have a lot more mushs per pound sub. and bigger and a lot better quality than in bootles. Shake the sawdust spawn in the bootle to brake it in small pieces for inoculation. It's easy to brake at this stage of grow. Cleaning bottles after harvest is quite a job. If you make little holes on the bags for your mushs to pop out and you surroundwrap the block after each flush you can have up to 4 or 5 flushs. I had hericium weighting up to 18 onces this way. At first flush they usualy weight around 12 onces.

#1.  Take 300ml of water and add 3 crushed pieces of dried cat food.  (Is is protein for the LC?) - Sterilize 30 minutes.

#2.  Add mycelium from 3 agar wedges and stir for several days.  Mycelium should grow and expand in this environment.

#3.  Substrate bag composed of sawdust and 30% wheat brain. (skipping his intermediate step to jar of sawdust and go directly to 6lb bag).

#4  Inoculate using minimum of 10cc (probably more because 10cc was for 300 ml jar).

#5.  Make small holes in the substrate bag - he does not state when but I suspect after it has been colonized.

#6.  After flush - enclose bag again with plastic wrap - at some point in time - poke small holes again to cause mushroom growth.

Not sure as to timing on point 6.

Did I break Micolo's statement apart properly or am I missing something.

Thanks.

InvisibleMephistophelian
Quasi Hob-Nobbery
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10403457 - 05/26/09 08:07 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

I suspect protein, although I don't know for sure. I think it lies in principal as DFA (dog food agar) but he happened to have kitty treats or cat food which would provide a larger spectrum of nutrients over straight sugars. I suspect adding a small pinch of powdered sawdust to the LC wouldn't hurt either which would in theory prepare the mycelium for that type of nutrient when it gets transfered over.

I do believe you could skip the sawdust spawn since they're both wood based just one has more nutrients then the other.

I think you could add more LC in relation to the size although you want to make sure its not all in one pocket since that will make standing water which is never good.

If you use a filter patch bag, you don't need to make a hole for where the lions manes head will come out until its fully colonized. If your using a bag you pasteurized in, then you would want a hole or two and cover with micropore tape. Perhaps a large enough sealed plenum would be enough for it to grow? Its a thought. Then you only puncture a hole when your ready.

Though I don't understand the wrapping the block in saran wrap after the fact. They're still the same holes with the same colonized block. You should only have to rehydrate it if anything...and it should just re-fruit out the same hole.

That's my 2 cents anyhow...

Offlinejoehinkle
JustLearning
Male

#10403657 - 05/26/09 08:48 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

I thank your for identifying Micolo to me.

I did a search for his threads and Lions Mane and got a lot of good information.

Micolo says to rock the mushroom off - not to cut or tear and then imeddiately wrap the complete block in saran wrap - Do Not Touch the block where the muchroom was removed.

He does NOT soak the block between flushes but maintains the moisture by this immediate wrapping process.  When he sees pinning again - he punches 4 or 5 holes and starts the process.

Micolo states that the wrap (and not water dunk) greatly reduces contamination and results in multiple nice size flushes.

His block will have multiple wraps on it by the time its exhausted.

InvisibleMephistophelian
Quasi Hob-Nobbery
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10403736 - 05/26/09 09:10 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Hmmmm...an open exposed block?

As opposed to a pinhole point on a colonized bag?

Interesting idea he has there...although I'd have to see how many flushes someone would get out of a block exposed & wrapped vs a bag with 1 pinhole.

Offlinejoehinkle
JustLearning
Male

#10403771 - 05/26/09 09:19 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

The block is NOT exposed.

Once fully colonized, 4 or 5 holes are punched.

A mushroom will grow through one of the holes and is then picked, AND the bag is totally wrapped so as to now close ALL previous holes. (original bag and new encapsulating wrap)

When the next flush is ready to start - then 4 to 5 holes are again punched it and then covered in wrap again (now bag and two complete wrappings on top of each other) - and the cycle continues until the block is exhausted.

InvisibleMephistophelian
Quasi Hob-Nobbery
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10403812 - 05/26/09 09:28 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Ooooh. I understand now.

Cool idea.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
 User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #10405356 - 05/27/09 01:56 AM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Fruiting through holes in the bag or substrate block requires a strain that will do that, which is pretty rare.  Some oysters will, and some lion's mane strains will, but they're few and far between.  However, in my experience, wrapping a substrate block up leads to more contamination, not less.

You can spawn that grain jar, pins and all.  My strain of hericium will begin to fruit invitro almost the day of full colonization.  It doesn't hurt anything.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, 10cc Syringe, Agar, Wild Bird Seed, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms