Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBamaHunter
Stranger
Fairy ring help
    #10316090 - 05/10/09 07:33 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Hello everyone,

I am new to mycology and have seen that people use google earth a lot to find fairy rings. Well since I have used google maps/earth before I found this a great approach to trying to find fungi before going out anywhere. So in my reading I found people look for fairy rings in the fields so I started looking for some fairy rings and think I have found some but before I drive an hour I would like it if someone could help me identify this as actual fairy rings.

If not can someone tell me what a colors/discoloration of the field I am looking for?

Any Help is appreciated and thanks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBeege
gatherer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Germany Flag
Re: Fairy ring help [Re: BamaHunter]
    #10316099 - 05/10/09 07:43 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

that's an interesting idea.

I believe fairy rings are more for lawn-based species than coprophiles and also on a much smaller scale than what would be visible from google earth.

But let us know if you decide to check out those spots.

--------------------

OfflineLucas89
lysergicmescalcybin
Male User Gallery

Loc: USSR
    #10316113 - 05/10/09 07:52 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

interesting to say the least. if it works, i will feel like I've been blasted into the future.. lol.

--------------------

OfflineBamaHunter
Stranger

Re: Fairy ring help [Re: Beege]
    #10316116 - 05/10/09 07:54 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Well I have read of people being able to see them from google earth but another though in my mind is do p. cubensis' even produce fairy rings like this? Or are fairy rings limited to certain genus' and species?

But I probably will drive to either that spot in the picture or another field I found using google street view and earth together. Whatever I find, if anything, I will make sure to post.

OfflineLucas89
lysergicmescalcybin
Male User Gallery

Loc: USSR
    #10316123 - 05/10/09 08:00 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

what exactly does a "fairy ring" refer to? a circle of mushrooms, or the actual steady mycelial network itself? well i say that if you find any mushrooms just by looking at them from a satellite image you've done pretty orite! and they'd have to be pretty decent mushrooms too... good luck anyway lol.

--------------------

Offlinemasspan
l'eclair
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #10316140 - 05/10/09 08:07 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

i don't think you'd be able to see anything so small from so far away. google earth is awesome for understanding the lay of the land i.e. location of farmers house, different vegetation. i use google earth to scout out possible spots because once you go to a spot, know what it looks like on the ground, then go and see what it looks like from satellite, you can do an eagles eye scan over miles and miles of prospective terrain. fairy rings are not, ime, p. cube patterns, they like cow pies, which unless the cows are doing synchronized pooping, probably doesn't occur. good luck!

--------------------

my mother said, to get things done, you'd better not mess with Major Tom...whose status is the baddest, everytime 'they' bless the apparatus

OfflineBamaHunter
Stranger

Re: Fairy ring help [Re: masspan]
    #10316160 - 05/10/09 08:19 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

masspan said:
fairy rings are not, ime, p. cube patterns, they like cow pies, which unless the cows are doing synchronized pooping, probably doesn't occur. good luck!

Ok thanks a lot! Ive been trying to find out if fairy rings do develop from cubes or not to no avail but that clears it up some for me. Im going for some drive by in a few hours(nice sunday drive :wink:) is there anyway I can tell from driving by if p. cubensis are present?

I've had some people tell me its still a little early for where I live but with the off and on rain we have thepast few weeks and temps in the day being 70-80+ and night not dropping below 60 I figure they should be coming out by now.

Im also worried about getting in the field and not finding anything because of farmers using fungicides

Offlinemasspan
l'eclair
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #10316182 - 05/10/09 08:29 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

if you are in Alabama ('Bama'Hunter), things should be really popping right now, temps and moisture sound right, they are nearly year round save extreme cold and extreme heat. the only way to tell if there are cubes growing is to actually get close enough to a good sampling of cow crap to see. that being said, scout out your sites very well, and go stealth. my understanding as far as fungicides goes is look for grazing cattle, as opposed to grain fed cattle, grazing cattle fields being best, but don't quote me on that, i think it is really a question of what the farmers livestock management practices are. just don't forget that farmers do not want to see strangers in their fields, and a good old boy on an ATV with a shotgun full of rock salt, or worse, is a distinct possibility. be careful!

--------------------

my mother said, to get things done, you'd better not mess with Major Tom...whose status is the baddest, everytime 'they' bless the apparatus

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #10316183 - 05/10/09 08:29 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Here in Colorado there are fairy rings that are tens of yards across. They show up quite well in aerial photography, which is how Google Earth does its highest resolution stuff. You should be looking for fairly obvious circles, generally with the grass of the ring being darker than the grass around it.

In your sample photo I don't see any clear fairy rings.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract