Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleShroombrella
College Student

Loc: Lone Star
Train your dog to hunt mushrooms.
    #10247655 - 04/28/09 05:06 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

When you go shroom hunting, instead of walking across a cow pasture until you see a mushroom, wouldn't it be convenient to let your dog's nose do all the work?  Well, with the right training, your dog could find more mushrooms than you ever thought possible.  A dog's nose is very powerful, and it's more than capable of sniffing out the potent scent of a fresh mushroom in a field.  He can smell a mushroom quicker, easier and farther away than you can see one.  Your dog has a secret hidden ability to hunt shrooms.  All you have to do is train it. 

To train the dog, the owner has to familiarize the dog with the smell of mushrooms, so fresh mushrooms will be needed.  You can keep them in the refrigerator in order to maintain that fresh mushroom scent.  Start by holding a mushroom in your hand and carrying it to the dog to let him smell it.  If he tries to eat the mushroom, tell him "No" and pull the mushroom away.  Each time you bring it to his nose, give him the command to sit, then say, "find a mushroom" and give him a treat.  A single piece of dog food will work fine as a treat.  The point is, you want him to associate pleasant things with the scent of a mushroom, you want him to sit down when he smells a mushroom and you want him to become accustomed to the command, "find a mushroom".  Do that exercise at least ten times a day for a week.

Once your dog is familiar with the scent of a mushroom and sits automatically upon smelling one, you can start hiding the mushrooms around the house.  For example, while you are watching TV in the living room, place a mushroom underneath the couch.  Just make sure he doesn't see you hiding the mushroom there.  Keep watching TV like everything is normal and wait for your dog to find the mushroom.  Make sure he doesn't eat it.  NEVER let him eat a mushroom.  As soon as he starts sniffing underneath the couch near the mushroom, command him to sit, say, "Find a mushroom" and give him a treat.  Always wait until he is sitting to give him the treat.  Place a mushroom in a different place next time and do it all over again.  Eventually your dog will actively look for the mushrooms and will sit down on his own whenever he finds one.

When your dog can quickly find the hidden mushrooms in a room 90 percent of the time, start hiding mushrooms in your backyard.  If possible, place some cow patties in your backyard and hide the mushrooms near the patties to get the dog accustomed to the scent of mushrooms on cow dung.  At first, place the mushroom near the backdoor, so that your dog will smell the mushroom as soon as he goes outside.  Take your dog in the backyard and make him sit next to you.  Then point to the backyard and say, "Find a mushroom".  Let your dog roam around the backyard until he finds the mushroom.  If he missed the one you placed near the backdoor, call him to you and point to the mushroom until he notices it.  When he notices it, command him to sit, say, "Find a mushroom" and give him a treat.  Keep doing this until your dog can quickly find most of the mushrooms in your backyard.

If your dog will run away without a leash on, you can use a long leash during the next phase of training.  Just let your dog lead you on the leash so that he can smell his way own towards the mushrooms.  I recommend a long (at least 15 foot) retractable leash.

If possible you should move to a large field for this phase of training, such as a football field, park, or a golf course.  You can even use an actual cow pasture with live mushrooms.  While your dog waits in the car, scatter the mushrooms at random intervals across the field.  Make sure to carry a bunch of treats with you.  Then go and get your dog and bring him to the starting point of the field and make him sit.  Point to the field, say, "Find a mushroom" and begin walking.  Walk your dog across the field until he finds a mushroom.  If he doesn't sit when he finds the mushroom, make him sit before giving him the treat.  If you wait a minute, he'll usually remember that he needs to sit before he gets the treat.  If your dog becomes distracted by other joggers, animals, or people, give him a sharp tug on the leash and say, "find a mushroom".  Walk in a grid pattern across the field, letting your dog sniff around the path you are walking.  As soon as he smells a mushroom, make sure he sits down, say, "find a mushroom" very enthusiastically and give him a treat.

Eventually, your dog will know that as soon as he hears the command, "Find a mushroom" that it's time for him to go to work.  When you take him hunting, he will sit down automatically when he finds a mushroom. 

Your dog will love having a job to do.  Just remember that it's hard for working dogs to stay focused on their assigned task for more than 45 minutes at a time.  So every half hour or so, take a break and play with your dog for about 5 minutes, and then he'll be ready to get back to work. 

If you train your dog correctly, you'll have a very capable mushroom hunting partner and you will start to see the mushrooms piling up from your hunts.

Note: Some breeds of dogs, such as German Shepherds, Labradors, and Hounds, are better suited for working and smelling than others.  A bulldog for example, would not be ideal for the job.

--------------------
Nuthin' but love for ya. 

Edited by Shroombrella (04/28/09 10:55 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleStonyPeach
Mycologist/Botanist
Male

Loc: Florida
Re: How to Train Your Dog to Hunt Mushrooms [Re: Shroombrella]
    #10247699 - 04/28/09 05:25 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Haha wow I was actually JUST thinking about training a hound to do the very same thing, lol. I suppose it works then! Good news to hear for my future :] :mushroom2:

Invisiblevinsue
Grand Old Fart
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Garden State(NJ) Flag
Re: How to Train Your Dog to Hunt Mushrooms [Re: Shroombrella]
    #10247712 - 04/28/09 05:32 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Why do you think my dogs name is Truffles? .

--------------------

"All mushrooms are edible; but some only once." Croatian proverb. BTW ...
  Have You Rated Ythans Mom Yet ?? ... :taser:  ... HERE'S HOW ... (be nice) .  :mod: ... :peace:

OfflineAJ4U
Cloud N9ne
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty Jersey
Re: How to Train Your Dog to Hunt Mushrooms [Re: vinsue]
    #10247744 - 04/28/09 05:49 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

vinsue said:

Woah wtf is that :confused:

--------------------

InvisibleOnCloud9
very wasted
 User Gallery

Loc: .Hiding under your bed.
    #10247764 - 04/28/09 06:04 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

vinsue said:

LOL:grin:

--------------------
...Life is what ya make of it... :getstoned:

InvisibleUnholyChild666
I'M GOD
Male
Loc: Flag
Re: How to Train Your Dog to Hunt Mushrooms [Re: AJ4U]
    #10247789 - 04/28/09 06:14 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

AJ4U said:
Quote:

vinsue said:

Woah wtf is that :confused:

That's one of the most repeated questions in the pub.

--------------------

"I am the Highest Power the leader of the pack"

Actiavte My Dream Sequence Machine

GOD of the hologram earth

Invisiblevinsue
Grand Old Fart
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Garden State(NJ) Flag
Re: How to Train Your Dog to Hunt Mushrooms [Re: UnholyChild666]
    #10247840 - 04/28/09 06:37 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

She's cool . . big pizza fan, too .

--------------------

"All mushrooms are edible; but some only once." Croatian proverb. BTW ...
  Have You Rated Ythans Mom Yet ?? ... :taser:  ... HERE'S HOW ... (be nice) .  :mod: ... :peace:

InvisibleUnholyChild666
I'M GOD
Male
Loc: Flag
    #10247855 - 04/28/09 06:43 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

vinsue said:
She's cool . . big pizza fan, too .

I had a dog that could eat a whole slice of pizza in two bites the fucker then sometimes later would throw the slice up and it would still be whole. :lol:  He was a cool ass dog.

--------------------

"I am the Highest Power the leader of the pack"

Actiavte My Dream Sequence Machine

GOD of the hologram earth

Offlinetwighead
mͯó
I'm a teapot

Loc: Glenn Gould's Fuck Windmill Flag
Re: How to Train Your Dog to Hunt Mushrooms [Re: UnholyChild666]
    #10248081 - 04/28/09 08:12 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

you can train pigs to hunt mushrooms!

--------------------
¿Check out some art m8?

OfflineI AM SWIM
doin' thangs
 User Gallery

Loc: Feels Changsta Man
Re: How to Train Your Dog to Hunt Mushrooms [Re: twighead]
    #10248114 - 04/28/09 08:26 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

i wish i had a pet monkey trained to hunt for mushrooms, i would just wait until they brought me back bags filled with em.

that would be the best.

--------------------

InvisibleShroombrella
College Student

Loc: Lone Star
    #10250086 - 04/28/09 03:22 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Cool pics of Truffles.  What happened to her teeth?

--------------------
Nuthin' but love for ya. 

OfflinenikoD
Stranger
Male

Re: Train your dog to hunt mushrooms. [Re: Shroombrella]
    #13996821 - 02/20/11 05:34 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

A friend of mine teaches dogs to sniff out avalanche victims so that they may be dug up and (hopefully) saved.

--------------------
we've invented senses we didn't even know we had.

OfflineKada
Asha'man
Male User Gallery

Loc: Buckeye Flag
Re: Train your dog to hunt mushrooms. [Re: nikoD]
    #13996831 - 02/20/11 05:37 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

My dog would find them and eat them. After that I bet he wouldn't go near them.

--------------------
~The Cultivators Motherload~

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies.
My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness."-Dalai Lama

Live long and prosper.

OfflineAcaterpillar
A little mad...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Down the rabbit hole
Re: Train your dog to hunt mushrooms. [Re: nikoD] * 1
    #13996843 - 02/20/11 05:39 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Hahaha I laugh every time Vinsue starts showing off pictures of Truffles :lol:
Truffles looks like a damn cool dog though.

I definitely plan to train my dog to hunt mushrooms. It's gonna make going on forays soooooo easy.
I'm going to want to foray by myself on occasion though, because the dog might make it a little too easy and spoil all the fun :grin:

I'm gonna get a Rhodesian Ridgeback when I have the money, space, and time.

--------------------
Aaa...E I O Uuu...A E I O Uuu..A E I O uh Uuu..
*Cough* *Cough*
Ooo...U E I O Aaa...U E I Aaa..A E I O Uuuuu...

At first sight, The Perfection of Wisdom is bewildering, full of paradox and apparent irrationality.

Offlinex Ju x
Aubergine Of The Sun
Male

Loc: Shpongleland, Canada Flag
Re: Train your dog to hunt mushrooms. [Re: Acaterpillar]
    #13996863 - 02/20/11 05:42 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I'd rather look for them myself, to be honest. It makes it seem more worthwhile having to find the things by yourself.

Although having a dog sniff them out would be amazingly convenient. I wonder if I can train my cat to do the same thing? :lol:

--------------------

InvisibleJesusGoneRogue
 User Gallery

Re: Train your dog to hunt mushrooms. [Re: x Ju x]
    #13996868 - 02/20/11 05:43 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

im totally doin this.

Offlinemorrowasted
Worldwide Stepper
Male User Gallery

Loc: House of Mirrors
Re: Train your dog to hunt mushrooms. [Re: JesusGoneRogue]
    #13996938 - 02/20/11 05:54 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

my dog never eats mushrooms, even i put them right in front of her.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag