Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMedievalMan
Stranger
Mycelium not growing.
    #10242155 - 04/27/09 11:23 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I followed PF-Tek perfectly, and I currently have 94 jars incubating at exactly 80 degrees. Its been over a week now and there is no mycelium growth in any of the jars. I began to wonder if the syringes were bad, so I put a few drops of the solution into an agar dish and threw it into the incubator yesterday. I can already see growth in the agar dish, so I know the spore solution is viable. Any ideas on possible reasons why my verm/BRF jars aren't growing?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineChrisWho
Psilosopher

Re: Mycelium not growing. [Re: MedievalMan]
    #10242166 - 04/27/09 11:26 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Wow! You really jumped in head first, didn't you?

Don't be too alarmed yet... It can take up to 2 weeks to see the first signs of myc. Did you make sure to inject towards the sides of the jars as well? If I were you I would maybe lower the incubation temp a few degrees.

--------------------
Drugs don't have spiritual potential, human beings have spiritual potential. And it may be that we need techniques to move us in that direction, and the use of psychoactive drugs clearly is one path that has helped many people.
-Andrew Weil

OfflineDeadDog
MingeTeasingBastard
Male User Gallery

Loc: La Chorrerra
    #10242170 - 04/27/09 11:27 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

spore germination can take 2 weeks or more in some cases. just sit tight and forget about them for a week, a watched kettle never boils.

--------------------
"You are the human equivalent of Bacterial Vaginosis, die now, thanks."

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Mycelium not growing. [Re: DeadDog]
    #10242198 - 04/27/09 11:32 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

If you are seeing growth in the agar after less than 24 hours, it's probably not mushroom mycelium.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

OfflineMedievalMan
Stranger
Re: Mycelium not growing. [Re: ChrisWho]
    #10242292 - 04/27/09 11:53 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

ChrisWho said:
Wow! You really jumped in head first, didn't you?

Don't be too alarmed yet... It can take up to 2 weeks to see the first signs of myc. Did you make sure to inject towards the sides of the jars as well? If I were you I would maybe lower the incubation temp a few degrees.

Regarding the process I used for injection, I put the tip of the needle under a flame until the metal had a slight glow, waited 25 seconds and then injected into the 4 small holes I drilled into the lid of the jar. I pushed on the syringe until I could see the water running down the inside wall of the jar. After inoculation, I immediately covered the lid with the sterile aluminum foil that I had on the jars while pressure cooking to prevent contamination. Immediately after this I put them in my incubator.

I'm growing B+ and Burma.

OfflineMedievalMan
Stranger
Re: Mycelium not growing. [Re: Doc_T]
    #10242310 - 04/27/09 11:56 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Doc_T said:
If you are seeing growth in the agar after less than 24 hours, it's probably not mushroom mycelium.

I'm pretty sure its mycelium. There are many very small dots in the area that dripped the solution into. These dots were not present yesterday.

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #10242329 - 04/27/09 12:02 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I stand by my statement, but I hope you're right.
Give it a couple of days, see what happens.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Offlineriosricky
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nor Cal ^
Re: Mycelium not growing. [Re: Doc_T]
    #10242409 - 04/27/09 12:15 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

let them breathe more, if you still have foil on them take it off. Put in a sterilized closet in room temperature. Leave them and check in 2 days. trust me on dis    :goodluck:

--------------------

OfflineSkyHigher
The White Rabbit
Male

Loc: The Pines, the pines.
    #10242452 - 04/27/09 12:23 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Regarding the process I used for injection, I put the tip of the needle under a flame until the metal had a slight glow, waited 25 seconds and then injected into the 4 small holes I drilled into the lid of the jar. I pushed on the syringe until I could see the water running down the inside wall of the jar. After inoculation, I immediately covered the lid with the sterile aluminum foil that I had on the jars while pressure cooking to prevent contamination. Immediately after this I put them in my incubator.
I'm growing B+ and Burma.

You might want to remove the foil. I don't believe you need it. If you used a verm layer you defiantly don't need it. The jars need to be able to allow gas exchange. I'm birthing jars today, and they took 3 weeks. I saw growth in a few days. I would remove the foil and my tit temp max was 80degree, with an average of 78-79.

I'm a noob just like you. I'm just telling you my experience. GL

--------------------

"Total control now. Tooling along the main drag on a Saturday night in Vegas. Two good old boys in a fire-apple red convertible. Stoned. Ripped. Twisted. Good people." - Raoul Duke.

OfflineMedievalMan
Stranger
Re: Mycelium not growing. [Re: riosricky]
    #10242458 - 04/27/09 12:24 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

riosricky said:
let them breathe more, if you still have foil on them take it off. Put in a sterilized closet in room temperature. Leave them and check in 2 days. trust me on dis    :goodluck:

Take the aluminum foil off of all the jars? Are you sure? The PF-Tek guide says to leave it on untill the mycelium is birthed.

OfflineSkyHigher
The White Rabbit
Male

#10242488 - 04/27/09 12:29 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I took the foil off and I'm birthing today. I watched all of RR's videos and he didn't put the foil back on the jars. I searched the subject to. As long as you have a Verm layer at the top of the jars. You'll be fine. I even did a experiment and left one without the verm layer. I just put another piece of microspore tape on after inoculation. The jar did fine.  I don't recommend leaving off the verm layer though. You don't need the foil.

--------------------

"Total control now. Tooling along the main drag on a Saturday night in Vegas. Two good old boys in a fire-apple red convertible. Stoned. Ripped. Twisted. Good people." - Raoul Duke.

OfflineSkyHigher
The White Rabbit
Male

#10242503 - 04/27/09 12:32 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

MedievalMan said:
I followed PF-Tek perfectly,

I just checked your tek. I didn't sure that one. I used the beginner's guide on this site and RR's Videos. So I used jars with lids. Sorry man.

--------------------

Offlineriosricky
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nor Cal ^
    #10260259 - 04/30/09 01:43 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

SkyHigher said:
I took the foil off and I'm birthing today. I watched all of RR's videos and he didn't put the foil back on the jars. I searched the subject to. As long as you have a Verm layer at the top of the jars. You'll be fine. I even did a experiment and left one without the verm layer. I just put another piece of microspore tape on after inoculation. The jar did fine.  I don't recommend leaving off the verm layer though. You don't need the foil.

Quote:

MedievalMan said:
Quote:

riosricky said:

Take the aluminum foil off of all the jars? Are you sure? The PF-Tek guide says to leave it on untill the mycelium is birthed.

yea im sure bout that, you don even need tape on the jars,
I haven't had a contam yet wit all the jars Ive inoculated. The contam usually comes from the syringe in my opinion. But im not a pro, this just a hobby of mine :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Trusted Cultivator
    #10260671 - 04/30/09 04:50 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

MedievalMan said:
Quote:

Doc_T said:

I'm pretty sure its mycelium. There are many very small dots in the area that dripped the solution into. These dots were not present yesterday.

Mycelium doesn't look like "dots". When the spores start to germinate in a spot on the dish it looks more like something in between a ball of cotton fuzzing out and a crack in a glass window getting bigger as the mycelium grows out in circles from the initial points of germination.
I know of one thing that looks like a "dot" on agar and that's bacteria.
Where'd you get your syringes?

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds